Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 104442 times)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2018, 18:10:51 PM »
YUP ME TOO

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2018, 14:33:37 PM »
I Like that!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2018, 13:54:46 PM »

There was a modern day fable about a god-fearing and respectful elderly couple, who always believed that God would provide.

When the storm warnings came, the skies grew dark and the rain fell, they knew that come what may, God Would Provide.

As the waters rose, and the lands flooded, the couple had to move to the upstairs of their house.  The Lifeboat came and tried to persuade the couple to leave, bu they refused, saying "God Would Provide."

When the waters rose higher, and the couple had to move to the rooftop, the rescue helicopter hovered overhead and beseeched them to leave, but the couple refused, saying resolutely "God Will Provide."

The waters rose higher still, and claimed the lives of the old couple.  As they got to the Pearly Gates, they looked at Saint Peter and asked, bewildered:  "What happened?  We always prayed, we always believed and knew God Would Provide, but in our hour of need, he failed us.  Why?"

St Peter scratched his beard thoughtfully, and said, "Well now, he sent a lifeboat crew and a helicopter - what more did you expect?"

In many ways Desley, you ARE the Lifeboat Crew and the Helicopter, so far as Coco and Chanel are concerned......

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 13:56:00 PM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2018, 13:50:00 PM »

The key point there being the whole of your last sentence.   :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2018, 13:10:24 PM »
Yeah, still doesn’t stop my niggle of not being to help others though. But then Lucy is also part of that problem, when I had Buster I could put cats in the bathroom on a temporary basis, but Lucy can’t deal with change very well, plus her weeing habits! Not sure I’d go as far as love Gill, but they are interacting well. I do think I need to stop thinking that something better might come up, they trust me and might not transfer that well, and it’s certainly better than Chanel has ever had, possibly better than Coco has ever had.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2018, 16:33:13 PM »
SO AGREE WITH SUE AND THEY LOVE THEIR ENVIRONMENT AND SECRETLY YOU DESLEY LOL EVEN IF YOU DONT THINK SO AT TIMES

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #212 on: September 19, 2018, 13:27:34 PM »
I have had the time to devote to them and that the charity haven't forced the issue due to the large number of cats needing help, CP have a 6 month rule with cats, partly to stop the cats being frustrated with an environment (which I get if you have cats in pens). Mine are lucky that I've been able to do so much to enrich that for them.

Ain't that the truth!!   ;D  And that's why sometimes, with fostering as with all else to do with cats, you have to tear up the rulebook, and do what works best for the individual cat.  Sometimes, what works best, bucks the trend. [/ size]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #211 on: September 19, 2018, 13:19:26 PM »
Not in that picture, although they do still act like it at times! Their behaviour may be challenging, but I don't find them hard work, probably because I see hissing in my house as a term of endearment, it's a daily occurrence, and that's just from Lucy! Yes, when discussing it with my neighbour, I said that you can't always go off the textbook situation. I am lucky that volunteering for an independent charity, I have had the time to devote to them and that the charity haven't forced the issue due to the large number of cats needing help, CP have a 6 month rule with cats, partly to stop the cats being frustrated with an environment (which I get if you have cats in pens). Mine are lucky that I've been able to do so much to enrich that for them.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #210 on: September 19, 2018, 13:11:00 PM »

No, they don't look like scared semi-ferals.  Some of their behaviour may be challenging, but somehow I don't get the feeling they'd have done better living on a farm for example.  I think your patience and hard work is paying dividends. 

Maybe professionals get hung up on the textbook situation, and don't have the time to devote to alternatives, hence their view being rather slanted in one direction or another. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2018, 13:07:32 PM »
I showed the vet the pic of the catio last night, she said that they should have been TNR’d last year, so I showed her the pic of Coco looking relaxed, and said ‘maybe, however she doesn’t look like a stressed semi-feral and if you asked them now, they’d not want to give up 3 meals a day, numerous beds and a radiator’, which she had to agree with, then asked if I had accepted they weren’t going anywhere yet, so I said they are still long term fosters, just in case. Although if I’m honest, the longer they are here, the less fair it would be to them to be moved. Had a nightmare getting them in last night, I walked out a couple of times, went back in once and Coco had just come in, so took one look at me and went back out, but the weather was getting bad, so I tried to force the issue, she was a bit wary of me when I went in at bedtime, but did eventually accept taking treats off me.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2018, 15:25:08 PM »
Was naughty today, and tried to stroke Chanel as she'd got in a corner to get away from me cleaning, she immediately went to mum for some reassurance, so had a popping Coco when I tried to give Chanel a treat for scaring her! Left them for a bit, and have just come in, they were both in the enclosure, Chanel was on the floor, so I kneeled down so I was eye level with her, and they both seemed curious enough to come and sniff, was the closest I've got to Coco, they seemed surprised by the window, but obviously there was safety for Coco as I couldn't get to her. Am glad they didn't hold a grudge after the earlier incident.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
That is very true Sue. It's ironic I get so bothered by them having been in that room nearly a year, but some of my own cats have chosen to live in one room (although with hindsight, some of those were due to letting foster cats have the run of the house), some never went downstairs, some never went upstairs! Unfortunately Gill it is only Chanel who responds to dreamies, and I can't get into the catio with them!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »
Good to see her looking so relaxed

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
I AM NOT SURPRISED SHE LOOKS GORGEOUS WITH THOSE STUNNING BLUE EYES. SHE LOOKS SO COMFORTABLE AND RIGHT AT HOME

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2018, 21:46:04 PM »
will reply tomorrow, but think this is one of my favourite pics of coco
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2018, 14:28:05 PM »
AM AMAZED HOW GREAT THEY ARE DOING BUT CATS LEARN VERY QUICKLY HOW OUT OF REACH FROM A HUMAN CAN BE CHALLENGING FOR THE HUMAN SO PLEASED THEY REACT TO DREAMIEST.  OTHERWISE YOU WILL NEED TO GET INTO THE CATIO DESLEY........GREAT PICS TO SEE NEW CAT DESLEY LOL

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2018, 13:49:29 PM »

I think we often try to second guess what we would want in an ideal life if we were cats, against what our cats want. 

Sometimes for cats, simplicity is key.  Coco and Chanel seem to be quite happy with their smaller, but less threatening environment, and I'd agree the confined space is why they're doing well.  And from a welfare point of view, a happy cat is a healthier cat as a result.

I spotted a Youtube video yesterday about a woman who took in a young cat that was born without its hind legs.   It was foraging for food in very poor weather and was in quite a miserable way of things.  She adopted it, and took it to the vet who said she was wasting her time and it should be put to sleep.  She saw something in the little lad that she wanted to give every chance.

A year on, and that cat was zooming about her house, playful and thoroughly enjoying life with two other cats in her home.  It didn't hold back, it didn't realise it was handicapped.  It was living life as a cat - confident tail held high, and joining in with life 110%.

You've given that opportunity to the girls, and they're responding to it.  I wouldn't get too hung up on what the textbook welfare situation is.  I think it has to match the cat's needs and wants, and seems to me like you're doing fine in that regard.   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »
Yes, I was really proud of them even though it wasn’t great sitting there in the cold while Chanel was acting like a yo-yo! She really didn’t want to go back in, and was surprised when she asked to go out before breakfast this morning, that’s a first. It’s like something twigged in her head. The irony is I think being in a confined space is why they are doing as well, even if that isn’t ideal from a welfare point of view. Wondering if it is worth getting some hairball biscuits for Chanel, any thoughts on if they are worth it or not? I have realised she isn’t sitting on the cabinet to sniff me as much.

Had a nightmare with them last night, I had a committee meeting and Chanel was in the catio when I left, so I left it open and didn’t get back till after 9, it took until 9.50 to get them to come in, Coco was on the top shelf when I got in, so I went and got changed, went back in and she was on the bottom shelf, then went on the floor and just didn’t want to come in, Chanel happily came in when I got the Dreamies out, but I think it took 20 mins for Coco to come in. Then Chanel tried 3 times to get back out!! Must post a pic later of Coco looking so relaxed in her bed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2018, 18:40:59 PM »
It may have taken a bit of getting used to but I'd say the catio is a success. :)
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2018, 15:55:06 PM »
that is good news, they are coming on so well

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2018, 15:00:40 PM »

That's such brilliant news Desley.  You must be quite proud of them both.  A good move on your part.  It's really enriching their experience.  ;D

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2018, 14:43:42 PM »
THEY ARE BEING VERY BRAVE, WELL DONE GIRLS

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2018, 13:10:45 PM »
Had a great night with the girls, one of the neighbours on the next street has a half Siamese – you wouldn’t know to look at her, as she’s a dark tortie, but you can tell as soon as she opens her mouth!! She must have been shut out yesterday, she was howling, so Chanel actually went on the floor in the catio for the first time, Coco did her usual sit on the window ledge! Unfortunately she sat at the spot where Chanel would have come in, so she started wandering to find another way in, and even ended up on the window (which my neighbours cats do regularly). At one point she even went on the top shelf and had a nosey. Then someone was moving in on that street, I thought she’d fly in with the noise, but was happy to sit there, then she went like a yo-yo, couldn’t keep her in!! Decided at 7.30 to shut it, had to get the dreamies out to get her back in!! This morning I was up early, went in there at 6.20 and she asked to go out, so I opened the window, she was straight out! Popped back in before I left at 7.30 and Coco was on the shelf, first time I’ve seen her sat in it. I didn’t expect her to bother at all, much less so quickly. Can’t say she looked very relaxed about it though, but that may have been seeing me! I just hope that it doesn’t make her want more. I often walk in to a thud, so I assume Chanel thinks seeing me means she needs to come in, or that there is going to be food involved! Typically after buying hundreds of Aldi pouches, Coco has decided all she wants to eat is normal felix, Chanel is preferring dry food, although will eat a bit of pate.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2018, 02:04:21 AM »
AHHHH SHE LIKES HER STORIES

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2018, 14:58:18 PM »
Coco was funny last night, I came in at bedtime and checked something on my phone, so I got a pointed look from her, when I picked up the book, she settled herself down with her paws under her!! She isn't sure when I come in here with the laptop though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2018, 13:11:29 PM »
Lovely girls. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2018, 00:41:15 AM »
THEY LOOK SO HAPPY AND RELAXED AND YES DEFINATELY THE RIGHT DECISION NOT TO SEPERATE THEM

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2018, 19:39:48 PM »
Both have got on the window ledge, Chanel has been on the shelf but mustn't have got on the floor as there are still dreamies on it! This is what I walked into this morning, so glad I stood my ground and refused to let them be separated.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2018, 18:42:49 PM »
SECONDED

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »
 :) :)   Super piccie 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2018, 21:44:46 PM »
Think you are right Paula, don't think these would appreciate a farm life
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
Love the pun Sue! It was Chanel who appreciated cheese unfortunately, not Coco. However last night Coco did sniff my hand, although then when I got a treat out, she changed her mind, so I had to put it in front of her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2018, 00:06:16 AM »
       IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT BRIBE AND CHEESE IS EASY, THEY WORK WONDERS. DONT KNOW WHAT THE CALMING BISCUITS ARE THO

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2018, 14:12:22 PM »

Having a quick pop by and admiring the Catio - it looks fab, Desley.  What a great little des-res (pun intended!)   ;D ;D

Havent had much time to catch up since last week, but very impressed with this, and with Coco's reaction to your cheese bribe.   ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2018, 13:51:07 PM »
Yes, I'm not normally a fan of 'prescription' biscuits, but these do work. I also give them the calming treats you recommended. Yes, being on an upstairs window is why I've thought for years I couldn't have one.
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2018, 13:45:52 PM »
those calming biscuits are a god send!  the catio looks amazing - I had imagined it on the ground floor though so its a lot cleverer than I expected!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2018, 13:43:05 PM »
Last night I tried to explain how to get out to Chanel, she initially tried to run when I approached the window (they were both in the bed), but when I started tapping the window, she was very interested! Coco was a lot less growly/hissy, maybe having two meals of calming biscuits is helping! She even nearly got very close to my feet to try and steal Chanel’s leftover tea. Had lots of interaction from Chanel too, which is good – I had a bit of cheese in there, she kind of took it from my hand, then she was fussing a bit after that, I tapped my leg and she put her paws on me thinking there was something good, so I got a couple of dreamies out and she tapped both of them off my leg.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2018, 13:48:28 PM »
I did discuss that with the builder Sue – it is a quick and relatively inexpensive job, the downside is having people in their room to change the window pane, ideally they should be out of the room. That obviously isn’t an option at the moment, but if they like the catio, I’ll have to think of a way to get it changed, will be much easier, and the way it is has been built, it would be easy for them to use one.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2018, 14:33:19 PM »

Wooohooo!!  Builder has arrived!!   ;D ;D

Desley, just a thought, but could the window arrangement accommodate a cat flap so they could access it through the flap?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2018, 13:33:54 PM »
Yes, when I looked at her, happy and relaxed to play with something I couldn’t see, it did feel like it was right to give them that chance (although still long term fosters!). I may be bothered by them having restricted space, but they don’t seem to be. They love home comforts too much to be farm cats. Had a lovely selfie with Chanel while reading their bedtime story to them. Builder has turned up, so have explained that there is going to be a lot of noise, but it will be worth it for them, and the deal is they have to come in at night, I’m not leaving the window open all night! I have shut the window and the curtain to minimise the noise for them.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat