Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 103925 times)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #258 on: November 06, 2018, 15:18:25 PM »
THEY LOOK SO HAPPY TOGETHER AND I THINK ADOPTION TO YOU HAS TO BE THE ONLY SAFE WAY TO GO.

IT WOULD BE TERRIBLE IF SOMEONE WHO DOESNT KNOW THEM AND HOW FAR THEY HAVE COME OVER RULES YOU IN ANYTHING

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #257 on: November 06, 2018, 13:37:04 PM »
I’m not sure Sue, but I suspect it is our newest trustee as she is trying to bring in more paperwork and rules, not all of which I agree with – she did mention a fostering contract if I wanted to keep fostering them. It certainly can’t be about finances, I’ve not put any litter receipts in since April, and apart from some of the donated food (mainly when we had no other cats in), I’ve never had food for the girls (and didn’t ask for much for the boys either). Resource wise I was told by the manager that as we had more pens, fosterers wouldn’t be needed. I think I am going to go for adoption, as even if they agree with long term fostering, they still have the ultimate say in what happens to them, and could overrule me. They are content, and when you look at that pic, how could you separate them? Sun night Coco wasn’t that in the mood for eating out of my hand (could have been my nail varnish actually), she lifted her paw and I said ‘no paws, just mouth please’ and she actually stopped, considered this, then put her paw down. She did end up hitting my arm, but then ate out of my hand.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2018, 17:40:51 PM »

Desley, is there any driver you're aware of for them deciding this has to be reviewed now?  Does it have an impact on funding or resources?  Or your fostering abilities?

The girls look very content.  I cant help thinking re-homing them now would be a backward step, and possibly the only way it would work would be to separate them.  The risk then, is that if it doesnt work, one or both of them have lost their only other feline comfort they've known.  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2018, 13:54:42 PM »
I’m just hoping the manager forgot the agreement we had for them being long term fosters due to their lack of suitability for homing and that I can persuade the trustee to maintain status quo. It’s the right now bit that bothers me, although I know that not advertising them means a slim chance of an alternative for them. If I was forced, I would have to go with adopting to ensure they didn’t end up anywhere unsuitable, even though I do the majority of the home visits Looking at this picture taken last night, I’m so glad I stuck to my guns about separating them, and they really do enjoy their home comforts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 13:58:16 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
Reservations or not, I think you are the best option the girls have. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2018, 05:31:47 AM »

Desley, I think you have to explore long term fostering with them.  But otherwise I think a home with you is the best chance the girls have right now.  Am sorry it seems they're trying to force the issue  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2018, 19:36:41 PM »
Hmm, have had a text from one of our trustees asking to discuss the girls at the committee meeting on Tue - I need to let them know if I want to continue fostering them, in which case they will be advertised, or agree to adopt, in which case they want me to complete paperwork. I don't know if the manager forgot the conversation about them not being homeable and keeping them as long term foster cats, or if the trustees don't want that. I suppose I'll have to go for adopting, even with my reservations about that.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2018, 17:32:35 PM »
No, they didn't get a treat for my birthday, although my neighbour did suggest giving Lucy a prosecco cupcake!
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2018, 14:47:10 PM »
GREAT PICS DESLEY AND DONT THINK I HAVE SEEN LUCY BEFORE AND SHE IS LOVELY TOO

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »
Did they all get a treat on  your Birthday too? :evillaugh: I bet they did. :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2018, 06:10:45 AM »
Love the piccies Desley.  They're all looking very relaxed.    :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2018, 20:02:21 PM »
Ok, will keep posting. Had a good day today, Chanel rubbing my legs at breakfast, coco asking for play again and letting me stroke her with the toy. The other day, Lucy cracked me up about something, then Chanel did and I felt incredibly lucky. Here are some pics of the daft three sitting on random things!

Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2018, 17:38:52 PM »

Not bored.  I love hearing about what these two (and Lucy) are up to each day.  And I love it when you manage to get in a sneaky touch  :)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2018, 16:12:45 PM »
I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SEE VERY WELL BUT SHOULD BE IMPROVING AND I LOVE THE UPDATES

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #244 on: October 30, 2018, 18:55:50 PM »
Even if I don't post, I look forward to and read all the updates. ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #243 on: October 30, 2018, 13:36:14 PM »
Well, I thought you had all got bored Paula! Not really been much improvement, Coco is eating part of her supper off my hand practically every night – although last night got lots of slobber in the process, and still asking to play – in fact last night, she was playing on the floor with her favourite toy, and then looked like she was trying to engage in play with Chanel, who went in the tunnel, she doesn’t seem to trust her mum when she is trying to play. Downside I have at the moment is by giving them access to the catio all day, the room isn’t warming up – my neighbour has offered to go in at lunch to shut it, but I don’t know if they would prefer to be out in the afternoon. Chanel did prove on Sun that she would be no good as a farm cat, they always go in the catio when I start sweeping and mopping, Chanel was trying to lie flat on the shelf and was glaring at me, it was quite chilly and she clearly didn’t want to be out there, she isn’t in it as much as Coco. It was odd being glared at by her though, it doesn’t happen very often. I've also had a lot of sneaky strokes of her this week, mainly stopping her pinching Coco's toy! I’ve got Capstar flea tablets (I know they aren’t great, but the tablets my vet sells must be bitter, Buster hated them, so not sure they would eat those crushed) and Panacur granules to get into them, going to use Lick-e-lix
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #242 on: October 29, 2018, 23:48:29 PM »
No updates for a week Desley? You're slipping. :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2018, 15:11:27 PM »

Couldn't agree more.   :)

I empathise with you over the prospects of getting them for medical treatment or re-vaccinating, as we have similar issues with our gurlies.    :innocent:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2018, 13:28:54 PM »
Yes, there is progress Paula, and as Kay said on CC, as long as they have what they want, progress or lack of isn’t vital – obviously progress was in the beginning, but now the aim isn’t to make them homeable it doesn’t matter as long as they seem happy. I don’t know what would happen if they needed vet treatment though – partly getting them there, and partly medicating, I haven’t figured out worm and flea treatment yet, I tried the tablet wormer and they barely ate the food. And their vaccs are overdue, but as they only see each other that isn’t too important.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2018, 18:41:27 PM »
Taking time, but you are definitely making progress Desley. ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2018, 17:47:01 PM »
Well, I've had a very good week with the girls - Coco may be less hissy with my neighbour, but she has now started playing twice a day and if I sit down doing something, I do get stared at until I pick up her favourite toy, it's nice she's asking for playtime. One evening I nearly got a stroke of her tail, shame I was a bit too cautious, but she didn't seem too bothered. Another night I tried getting her to eat off my hand, she was more interested in the bowl, so I gently brushed against her cheek - 3 times! She hissed everytime, but didn't attack me and didn't stop what she was doing and run, so the trust is building. I think I still agree with my friend that this is their only option but not to stop looking in case something does come up for them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2018, 20:38:57 PM »
A bit left side, but quite possibly true. Surrogate affection..................

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2018, 13:39:32 PM »
Had an interesting conversation with a neighbour who likes animals but not really a cat person, and she said something last night about the girls that I’m not sure I’ve considered before, I was saying about how I have always refused for them to be split up because of the bond they have, and she said that as Coco doesn’t like being touched, having Chanel around is her only way of having affection and being touched.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2018, 13:49:31 PM »
Thanks Sue, I also think Lucy picks up on my neighbours negativity and it makes her worse. Although to be fair, I have seen my neighbour try and make the effort by giving Lucy chicken, and when it runs out, Lucy has been known to hit her and draw blood! Her comment last week was that the hissing doesn’t bother her (which isn’t what she said last year!) but as she doesn’t suffer fools, it means Lucy doesn’t get any treats. I actually would go as far to say my neighbour has written Lucy off, and it is a shame she never sees her loving, affectionate side.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2018, 07:11:00 AM »

That's a beautiful picture indeed.   :Luv2:

See, I can't help thinking that if your neighbour responds to Lucy's stance of protecting herself by hissing with the conclusion that Lucy is, therefore, a witch, your neighbour's attitude and response sends out a very negative energy.  It won't help the way Lucy feels towards her, and therefore becomes self-perpetuating. 

I so nearly missed the opportunity to bond with Malt when we were going through the first year of their life with us.  Every time I'd go to approach her, no matter how gently or carefully, she would run away.  This eventually muted into her standing her ground, but flinching when I went to touch her.  I almost gave up trying.  It hurt.  Hurt like hell.  I thought I was doing everything right.  Couldn't understand the constant rebuffs.  It was Malt herself who made me think twice.  I went to touch her again one morning, thinking "she'll just flinch and run away - dunno why I bother" - and of course, she did flinch and pull back.  But almost immediately, she looked at me, and took a little step towards me again.  It was like she was saying to me:  "I wasn't ready.  Not entirely.  But I want to try again.  Can we?"   And that time, when I went to touch her again, she allowed it to happen.  I kept it brief.  The next time we tried it for longer.  Eventually she would lean into the caress.

You have always worked very hard with Lucy, in attempts to make her feel more comfortable, and to earn her trust.

Your neighbour has almost written her off.  You haven't. 

I know you've said your neighbour has a lot of experience, and has cared for a lot of cats, and does a brilliant job, yet she seems unwilling to accept there are still areas where she can learn and grow.   There are always things to be learned and experienced.  Patience and perseverance can work wonders in the end.

If Lucy feels that your neighbour is negative towards her, and given her issues around people anyway, it's no surprise she's going to hiss.  SSSSSS!   :-:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2018, 04:07:24 AM »
WHAT A WONDERFUL PICTURE, BUTTER WOULDNT MELT LOL

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2018, 13:38:43 PM »
Chanel has been very purry this week, find it odd that she just lies on her own purring. She has been more playful since I got back too. I’ve attached a cute pic of her from the other day. Coco has been much better this week, still hissing, but engaging more, and she has been interested in toys, but Chanel pushes in and stops her. She does keep eyeing the door up though, which is a worry.

Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2018, 16:23:10 PM »

I suspected as much.  :hug:  You can never assume just because a cat is "domesticated" that it doesn't have issues

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2018, 13:29:45 PM »
Thinking about it, I’m not sure it could – yesterday I didn’t get hissed at much, today I was hissed at a few times the first time I went in. It’s funny you should say that, it was part of our argument on Thu, she thinks that I have an issue with her having the rugrats, she couldn’t be further from the truth, if it wasn’t for her, I’d have had to find a farm home for 3 semi-feral kittens, all of which had had cat flu, and one of which has been left with a dodgy eye, luckily she lets my neighbour bathe it as soon as it starts weeping so she’s only needed one lot of eye drops in nearly 2 years, in the wild that would have been a very different matter and not sure I’d have liked that on my conscience. My main issue is her constant negativity about Lucy – Coco did hiss and pop at her while I was away, just not daily, Lucy did hiss at her daily, Coco was described as an angel, Lucy as a witch! It’s like because the rugrats and the girls had a semi-feral start it’s acceptable, but because Lucy has a domestic background she should be better behaved, but we all know that doesn’t always mean a nice, well behaved cat.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2018, 14:46:01 PM »

Well, it would be good if the situation could be replicated with the same effect, and where it could be confirmed to you and potential new cat slaves (or not, as the case may be)

Sometimes, reading between the lines (and I may be well off key - if so, apologies in advance) that your neighbour can be just a teensy bit jealous of your achievements?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
Thanks Sue, I get the impression you don’t think they were that much better with my neighbour?

Had a chat with my neighbour on Sat, and her view is that yes, there is a chance she might relax more around someone else, but how are we going to find that better home? She thinks that mine is the only option for them, even if it isn’t the best, and that they are happy with restricted space due to their temperament. I had a good day with them yesterday, on Sat evening I told Coco it would be amazing if we could have one day without being hissed at – we nearly managed it, I only got hissed at one of the 6 times I went in, although she was a bit aggressive when taking treats off my hand. Had an interesting moment though, a friend came round who has seen them before, and is used to temperamental cats, she went toward them (they were both together) and Chanel hissed at her three times – I was so shocked, it takes a lot to make Chanel hiss, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard her hiss 3 times in as many minutes – and not little half hearted ones. Coco was a bit playful last night, but then Chanel kept rubbing her, so she walked away.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #227 on: October 05, 2018, 18:54:52 PM »

Lesley, before you go doubting yourself and second-guessing the situation, can your neighbour replicate the "no hissing" for you by videoing their behaviour if you're not in the room and she is?  If it's as good as she says, the recording could also be used to help get them a new home ultimately.  If it's not that good you can stop berating yourself.   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »
Thanks Paula, I do move faster than my neighbour, but if I am constantly startling her, is that fair for the rest of her life? Yesterday everytime she saw me she flew out into the catio, even at bedtime. Yes, they have improved and my neighbour said they are much more confident than when she looked after them in June. I’ve fostered all the time I’ve had Lucy, she’s just been lucky that apart from about 6 months, they have all been long term (3 months +). The girls are the ones she’s reacted to worst though, so not sure they would be her choice for permanent cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #225 on: October 04, 2018, 19:44:14 PM »
I wouldn't doubt yourself Desley, those three cats have a lovely life, Lucy is very obviously very fond of you. Maybe you move more quickly than your neighbour? Then you may startle her, making her hiss? Compared to what you were telling us about Coco and Chanel when they first came to you, you have made great strides. Lucy invites fusses etc. on her own terms, I'd say you were doing well with all three. If Lucy were to be an 'only' cat you wouldn't be able to foster anyway and I am sure that it is better to have long term/permanent cats than a succession of fosters for her to get her head around is better for her. :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2018, 13:18:35 PM »
I hadn’t realised it took so long to touch Sasa Gill. The catio is a good investment. I’ve been thinking about the girls while I’ve been away, as I’ve had them a year now, I was 95% sure about keeping them because I wasn’t sure they would adjust to new surroundings/people, just torn that I had promised Lucy that she would always be an only cat, but got home and my neighbour said she hadn’t been hissed at every day while I was away, yet I do, which has made me wonder if mine really is the best home for them – surely if she gets hissed at less than me, then Coco does have an issue with me, and she might settle better with someone else? She thinks I’m wrong, and said they are much more relaxed than when she looked after them overnight in June, but I’ve been hissed and growled at since getting back, although Chanel has just been her normal curious self.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #223 on: October 02, 2018, 20:25:10 PM »
IT TOOK MANY YEARS BEFORE SASA WOULD LET ME TOUCH HER BUT I COULD ALWAYS SEE SHE REALLY WANTED TO BE STROKED BUT JUST COULD NOT LET IT HAPPEN

SOME SEVEN YEARS ON SHE EVENTUALLY LET ME STROKE HER HEAD AND THEN THE PURRS AND AFFECTION WERE WONDERFUL

YES THE CATIO ETC MUST HAVE COST A LOT BUT A GREAT INVESTMENT FOR THESE TWO SHY LADIES

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2018, 13:33:10 PM »
The irony really Gill is that between the catio and all the new toys they’ve had, they’ve cost a lot already this year, so I’m not going to get them a very expensive bed! Chanel has gone back to sitting on the cabinet when I am on the chair, I just wish she would let me touch her, but unless she thinks you are going to do that, she does look very relaxed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2018, 16:57:21 PM »
OMG THE C WORD

YES I AM SURE THEY WOULD LOVE SOME NICE PRESENT AND THEY ARE WORMING THEIR WAY INTO YOUR HEART AS CATS DO

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2018, 16:50:14 PM »
Well, I must be coming round to the idea of them staying, I was thinking the other day that Lucy could do with a new heated bed, so thought I'd get her one for Christmas, then it dawned on me I should buy something for the girls for Christmas too! Going to get them a new bed, the igloo bed they don't use is new, the 3 they do use have been bought for previous cats, so it would be nice for them to have something of their own, and going to get Chanel a kickeroo. Mind you, they are going to get a new toy from my holiday too, the local hedgehog society do hand knitted catnip hedgehogs that they sell in a local pet shop, although they aren't that fussed with catnip. I just can't shake off that niggle, don't know if it is the thought of keeping them confined, or needing to adjust to the fact that I can't foster anymore
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2018, 13:23:03 PM »
Yes, I suppose you are right Sue, and I suppose the important thing is that they seem happy. There was an article in the PAH newsletter about various types of toys to give kittens for stimulation, Chanel has all bar one, and that one she has had and I gave away as she didn’t use it!
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat