Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 103952 times)

Offline Susan D

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Harvey
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #538 on: December 14, 2022, 20:15:41 PM »
Lovely photo :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #537 on: December 14, 2022, 19:42:02 PM »
I've sat on the floor quite a few times since then - if it's just Chanel on the chair, I make her move, but if it's both, I sit on the floor, even though that is very painful - need a new alternative for sitting in there
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #536 on: December 14, 2022, 19:39:43 PM »
What a lovely photo Desley!  :Luv2:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #535 on: December 14, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
I walked in this morning to this lovely sight - sadly Coco only stayed there for 5 mins, and was then a proper grumps when I swept and mopped the room!

Stunning  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #534 on: October 30, 2022, 12:57:00 PM »
I walked in this morning to this lovely sight - sadly Coco only stayed there for 5 mins, and was then a proper grumps when I swept and mopped the room!

Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2022, 11:40:39 AM »
Hi Desley, it's lovely to hear that the girls are still making progress  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #532 on: October 24, 2022, 20:20:52 PM »
Another little breakthrough yesterday, I went to sit with them earlier than normal while I was running a bath, and Coco was on the rocking chair, so I sat on the floor, she half lifted her head, looked at me, yawned, gave her paw a wash then settled back down. Had to leave after 10 mins to turn the bath off, I expected to go back in to find her gone, but she was still on the chair!  :Luv: After 25 mins, she started to move, but she just turned to the other side, gave her other paw a wash and settled back down. I left after 40 mins of sitting on the floor! I was supposed to feed them, but didn't have the heart to move her, and Chanel was snoring! When I opened the door after my bath, I heard a thud of a cat jumping on the floor and neither were in sight.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #531 on: September 30, 2022, 19:45:01 PM »
I know, it's quite scary really Lyn! Funnily enough both have been better with me today, Coco was the least hissy she's been all week (she's even been popping at me this week), so I was brave enough to approach her and she didn't touch my finger, but kind of sniffed it, so she got a dreamie, then I got them a toy from Pets at Home, didn't see it made a noise, so they aren't keen, but Chanel did brush her tail against my leg twice, so she got a dreamie too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #530 on: September 29, 2022, 20:58:24 PM »
5 years already, where does the time go?! The girls have a life together with you, in a loving home, and that was something that looked unlikely before you took them in. You allow them to be as they are, without trying to force them to accept contact, and that is something very special  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #529 on: September 29, 2022, 19:57:17 PM »
Well, I've had the girls for 5 years now, still no closer to touching them, Coco still hisses at me daily. I do think Chanel would come round if it weren't for her mum, even though she's 5 now, she's still got some curiosity, but it only extends to sniffing my finger. Although the other week when it was girl's night out, she did let me step over her to get in the kitchen, so she is realising I'm not a threat. And they aren't as bothered when they are out and I come down as I've forgotten something - I now sit downstairs messing on my phone for 5 mins when they've been out overnight, Chanel often comes and sits in the front room, Coco sits on the second step, and they don't always fly back in. But hopefully they are happy, they are still together, which wouldn't have happened otherwise, and they have full bellies and I've just put the heating on for an hour, so a nice radiator to sleep near. They don't sleep near each other as often, I have one of them fairly close, I'll see if I can get a better one of them over the weekend.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #528 on: April 02, 2022, 20:40:10 PM »
Desley, it's great to know that the girls are still making progress  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #527 on: April 02, 2022, 19:52:54 PM »
Coco did something today that I think might be quite a big thing - it's not the first time actually, but I didn't twig what she'd done the first time! I was just waking up at 6.10 when I heard a weird yowling, so I got out of bed, and found a toy on the landing (which ironically I saw in their room a few days ago and wondered where it had come from, haven't seen that one for a while, mind you, they are tea leafs though, so they might have pinched it from downstairs) and Coco sat in the doorway of their room looking at me. I told her she was a good girl and threw the toy back in their room, fed them and then went back to bed. When I got up the second time, she'd put it outside my bedroom door. The first time, she did the yowling, I got up, but didn't twig the connection with the toy on the landing. Hopefully bringing me a present is a positive sign.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #526 on: October 04, 2021, 19:14:39 PM »
I know, quite scary really!
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #525 on: October 04, 2021, 11:11:14 AM »
4 years? Where does the time go?!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #524 on: October 03, 2021, 15:20:26 PM »
Well, I've had the girls 4 years now. Still can't touch them, but they do interact in their own way - Chanel has started asking me to play when I go down in the morning when it's their night out, and thanks to working from home, I normally have 5 mins to spare and oblige, although my working from home changes next month. I think a mixture of extra time due to working from home and sticking with a quieter lifestyle and more time with them (I'm sat in with them now, for the second time today), has definitely helped. Lucy was still flying at the closed door when it was their night out the other day though, so no change there! One new thing, Chanel has suddenly taken a liking to the rocking chair I sit on, so I now have a deckchair in here too, as sitting on the floor wasn't comfortable. Neighbour thinks it's either the new blanket (but I got that in Feb) or it going cooler, but that's never bothered them before, although it did take me all week to get a pic of them together, so they aren't quite as close now Chanel is 4.

Please spay your cat

Offline jimcat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: fluff
« Reply #523 on: August 23, 2021, 10:52:10 AM »
I love your cats, they are so cute  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #522 on: February 14, 2021, 19:09:59 PM »
I ordered a new throw this week, neighbour suggested using it as a cover to see if it entices the girls to sleep on the chair. I'm not sure, not seen any evidence yet of them sitting on it, but it does look really nice on the chair, luckily I found 4 in a cupboard so can have one of those for over my legs if I get chilly! I also got very close to Chanel when cleaning this morning.

Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #521 on: February 10, 2021, 07:54:20 AM »
Lovely to read your post of the 5th, Desley.  It's so rewarding to see cats transform from nervous, shut down individuals, to happy, relaxed and confident.  Cat characters will express that confidence in different ways - they may tick boxes of their own that others haven't perceived.  The fact is, you're able to recognise it for what it is.   :)   

Malt's tail is funny - she flicks it a lot, but not as a sign of aggression - it's sheer excitement and enquiry and commentary on her day.  Even when she sleeps the very tip is questing, checking and responding on events taking place around her.  Let's celebrate transformations.   ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #520 on: February 09, 2021, 19:53:04 PM »
Think they might be happy they are together and in a warm house rather than outside

Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #519 on: February 06, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
They are happy, loved and wanted on their terms and sometimes that is for the best, we have a couple of ferals and our F2 Bengal who love the other cats, the dogs but barely tolerate the humans - Blue has been with us 13 years and still hisses but is a happy cat all curled up on our bed on the fur throw with Casper Ragdoll, Harmony Bengal, Harper and Ollie ferals, Melody our F2 is happy on her special radiator bed sometimes folks spout what they think they know and not what the situation is

Ours are safe, loved and happy and that is better that what if at the end of the day, some take years to tolerate any inter action others come round quickly, after 13 years we ca now sneak up on Blue feral as he is deaf and has dodgy eyes :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #518 on: February 06, 2021, 09:38:44 AM »
Desley, I agree that the girls certainly sound content, at the very least  ;D that is due to the time and patience you have afforded them and I doubt they would have got that from many other homes  :hug:

Sky sometimes sleeps stretched out, with her tummy on display, but it is still not the norm for her. She rarely vocalises either (sometimes she will give a single meow but it doesn't see to have any particular meaning) so I have to work out what her 'hard look' is asking for!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #517 on: February 05, 2021, 19:04:17 PM »
I'm finally starting to think that adopting the girls was the right thing to do, this is in part due to a recent post by someone on CatChat in response to someone asking if their cats were happy

A happy cat will walk around the house confidently, tail held high. They will come to you demanding fuss and attention (and treats). They will sleep out in the open or with you if allowed, some will sleep in a sprawled position rather than neatly curled up. they will be interested in what you are doing, and just wanting to be with you. They will spend time looking out of windows watching the world.

An unhappy cat will want to hide, they will find a dark corner and withdraw to it. They will refuse social interaction, possibly not even taking a treat when offered. They will sit in a tense hunched position, barely moving. They will eat and drink less, lose weight, and their coat will lose condition, they may start to over groom and end up with bald patches. When they do move out of their hidey hole they will slink around belly down, tail down, keeping to the walls.

While the girls don't do all the things on the happy list, they do enough for me to realise that they are content with what they get. Ironically Coco can be demanding without making a noise - last night I came in to give them their supper and got distracted on the internet (it was their night out, so the door was open), they both left the room, she came back after a few mins and looked a bit put out to see no food, then after 5 mins came back in and just sat staring at me!!  Then ate some of her supper off my hand. Not used to cats who can demand things without making a noise, as they have Siamese in them, I did say I was grateful they don't make a noise! I had both of them watching me brush my teeth, Coco actually laid down with her paws under her watching me! This morning I got up at 5am to make a cup of tea, Chanel was curled up on the stairs, and actually let me walk past her, which is a first, Coco was on the sofa and she also let me walk past her (not a first, she's done it a few times this year). I do think a lot of it is down to lockdown and having more time to spend with them. Me and my neighbour were talking the other day, she thinks they were sent here to help me with giving up volunteering, which I agree with, as I've been able to keep the routine I had when I was fostering, just with added time at a weekend and being forced to go to bed earlier and stay in my room longer on the weekend day they are out, which has been especially helpful during lockdown.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #516 on: January 05, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
Your girls are doing so well, thanks to your patience with them  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #515 on: January 04, 2021, 21:38:12 PM »
Progress, progress, still on going.   :evillaugh: :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #514 on: January 04, 2021, 18:23:58 PM »
Had such brave girls this morning, Chanel was curled up on the stairs, she let me put my foot on the same step as her before flying up the stairs. I didn't know where Coco was, flung my work bag on the sofa and started putting things in it, before noticing she was on the back of the sofa!! she watched me, then I went in the kitchen to get food bowls, she was still on the back of the sofa when I came back, which is a first, so I sat on the sofa and messed on my phone till she went upstairs. We did sit and have a conversation last night, she does like that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #513 on: November 29, 2020, 10:03:03 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #512 on: November 29, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
Had brave Coco and Chanel again last night, Coco happily walked past me and wandered into the kitchen, then when I was leaving the kitchen to go upstairs, this is what I saw!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #511 on: November 27, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
Coco is happily using the bottom bed even when I sit on the rocking chair, which is nice. Let them out last night, they both raced out before I'd dished out supper, so after putting their supper out, I put the light on and peered down the stairs to find Coco was playing on the stairs - I only had my old phone on me, so might be tricky getting the pics off that to post, but I was so proud
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #510 on: November 18, 2020, 14:12:40 PM »
Always making progress, Desley.  Slowly but surely....

I agree, it has been slow but you have made sooooo much progress with these girlies  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #509 on: November 17, 2020, 19:01:38 PM »
Always making progress, Desley.  Slowly but surely....

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #508 on: November 15, 2020, 16:43:55 PM »
Have had such a good week with the girlies, they are getting so brave - Coco has been using the downstairs level of the bed more and staying in while I sit on the chair, think the fireworks might have played a part in that! Last Sun Coco actually came to eat some tea while I was sat down, she ate out of Chanel's bowl, but didn't flinch when I moved hers onto the floor, as Chanel was a bit put out, so they both ate on the floor while I was sat there, which is a first - in fact, don't think I've seen Coco eat on the floor apart from the odd treat from my hand. Coco is getting better at staying put when I'm moving, she will sit on the arm of the sofa and let me walk past her into the kitchen, although she has moved by the time I leave the kitchen, and now we have a little routine where she sits at the top of the stairs and I kneel down and have a conversation with her - last night we were playing peek a boo through the banister! Then she let me actually stand on the landing while she sat in the doorway, which is a first. They have both started sitting on the landing watching me in the bathroom, good job I don't mind being watched!! Coco is definitely the braver of the two, think she knows that I'm just doing what I need to do and won't interfere with her.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 17:35:18 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #507 on: November 01, 2020, 18:12:07 PM »
Well, a couple of times this week I've gone to sit with the girls and thought I'd disturbed Coco from their new bed, today I went to give them their tea and couldn't see Coco, discovered she is using the bottom level of their bed, its only taken nearly a year! Downside is now I have to sit on the floor so I don't disturb her! I've popped out a couple of times and shes still there
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #506 on: October 29, 2020, 12:52:00 PM »
Had a very brave Coco again last night, I let them out and then realised I was out of tablets so had to go downstairs, they had both left their room when I was on my way back up, Chanel flew into the room, Coco stopped but then came back, so I crawled up the stairs and stopped to have a conversation – even when I got to the landing, she just sat in front of the door contemplating me while I was talking to her, then scratched the carpet before going in to get her supper. She even ate a few biscuits off my hand after I dished supper out, she is definitely the one more relaxed with me doing stuff when they are out in the house.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #505 on: October 21, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
Desley, your patience is really paying dividends in the way the girls are getting braver!  :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #504 on: October 20, 2020, 13:11:20 PM »
With everything that happened, didn’t get chance to tell you about how brave Chanel was last Thu, was brushing my teeth and was aware of being stared at, looked round and she was actually in the bathroom, sat on the floor, she normally sits on the landing. So I got the bag of dreamies that live in the bathroom and threw one, it actually landed closer to me than her, but she came forward to check it out, closest she has got. However, it seems she doesn’t like tuna dreamies as she wouldn’t eat it, so I went to throw it for Coco who was sat in their doorway, but it landed on Chanel and they both flew off! I also found her in the bottom level on their new bed last week, glad they are finally using it. Neighbour wants them to have a heated bed for Christmas, but I’ve said that they have enough beds and need to use the one they got last year more first.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #503 on: September 30, 2020, 13:16:06 PM »
They were so funny last night, Coco has taken to scratching the carpet when she comes out of their room, I went to see if she was using the new scratch mat last night and she looked backwards at me while moving away! Then when I was brushing my teeth, I just saw the tip of her tail, so asked her if she was hiding, she actually turned round and peeked at me round the banister, but then Chanel ruined it by trying to rub against her - I do wonder if Chanel is a bit jealous, when her mum is doing interactive things that she normally does. Either that, or she's just been very boisterous this week.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #502 on: September 29, 2020, 18:14:19 PM »

I'm glad they weren't separated.  I think you've done an incredible job with them, Desley. 

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #501 on: September 29, 2020, 15:24:52 PM »
wow that's gone fast!  I'm sure they couldn't be in better hands Desley  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #500 on: September 29, 2020, 13:09:27 PM »
Well, they have been here 3 years today! When Chanel was watching me brush my teeth (her latest obsession, watching me in the bathroom!!) on Sun night, I was telling her that I never expected them to still be here, I remember when she was nice kitten, and I was hopeful that in a month or so she would be tame enough to rehome, but that only lasted a week! They have really come on this year, think part of that is me being around more, and they certainly enjoy ‘girls night out’ – to the point they often walk out as I walk in, they don’t even wait for their supper (which is mad, as they don’t always eat their tea before they get supper!).

As you can see, they are still very close, and for once, it’s not because they have knocked one of the beds over, so have to share (and I think the heating was on at the time!). I’m really glad I was able to persuade the manager to let me take them both – there is a chance Chanel would have been homeable if they had stayed separate, but it still would have needed a particular kind of home, and I doubt Coco would have been as good. I think there is a chance Coco will accept more than Chanel, when I blow her kisses, she is quite curious and  her nose twitches a lot, I asked her at the weekend if she knew what kisses were. She is also more confident, she watched me brush my teeth last week and didn’t move when I did, whereas Chanel flies when I move in the bathroom. Also if my neighbour is out when they are sat on the windowsill, its always Chanel who moves before Coco. I did say this morning to them that maybe in another 3 years I might be able to stroke them!

The three of them did accidentally meet the other week, Coco just wandered back into their room, Chanel however just followed Lucy and sat a distance from her gazing at her! Surprisingly enough, Lucy hasn’t been keen to do that again.  I do often wish I won the lottery (even though I don’t play it!!) so I could buy my next door neighbours house for the girls to have more space.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 13:10:10 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #499 on: June 12, 2020, 16:43:52 PM »
An interesting 24 hours, one good moment, one not so good, but made me think a lot! Last night I could hear a dog howling, so asked Coco to move off the windowsill to let me look outside, she just moved to one side, so I took the chance of touching her back! She allowed it, and then sat gazing at me in a nice, relaxed way so we had a conversation about being touched. It was their night out last night, but I had to let my neighbours decorators in, I decided to nip out without getting the girls back in their room, wont be trying that again for a while! Got back, Coco was back in their room looking decidedly uneasy, Chanel was nowhere to be seen! Now while my rational mind knew there was a 0.01% chance of her getting out of the gap I squeezed in without me feeling her, I started feeling sick with panic. Took over an hour to find her, she was that scared, she had got in a dark spot under the radiator - I used the torch on the 4th check and found her. I had been calling her, shaking Lucy's treats, I even let Lucy out of my room for a couple of minutes in the hope her hissing would encourage Chanel to go to her mum. She did eventually go back in her room, but still uneasy, until I shut the door. She was that stressed she allowed strokes, so got some treats for being good. Who would have thought that something as small as the front door opening and closing while they were downstairs would cause both of them to get stressed? It does show that they really aren't ready for that much more yet, despite it being nearly 3 years.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat