Author Topic: Meet Coco and Chanel  (Read 104517 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Meet Coco and Chanel
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2018, 05:12:01 AM »

She looks so comfortable and relaxed.   :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2018, 21:18:02 PM »
I really think, for what it's worth, that you have made the right decision keeping them until/if something better comes along, I really can't see them making happy farm cats.

Is the builder going to start tomorrow?
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2018, 20:46:02 PM »
GREAT DESLEY

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2018, 19:44:52 PM »
Heard a noise, looked round to find Coco playing, not sure what with! Looking at the content look on her face, I think I have made the right decision
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 19:45:15 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2018, 12:36:01 PM »
Going with your heart isn’t always a good thing! They definitely trust me Gill, there are other people who would be able to give time and patience, but the problem is they are few and far between – was talking to a friend on Sat and as soon as I said they don’t like being touched, she thought they would be better on a farm, but they do love their home comforts.

Dawn, someone willing to accept and love them as they currently are, who can give them the time, space and patience to potentially improve, but to accept that may never happen, so with no pressure to conform  – think someone on CC summed it up well when she said ‘they need a very special home with no pressure on them to be polite, sociable or impress friends and family (like yours in fact)’ . I can do the love and patience,  it’s the time and space that is the issue, and why I’m conflicted, I don’t want to keep them for selfish reasons, and not do the best by them, they may flourish more if given more space and time
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2018, 15:25:42 PM »
I'd struggle to part with them!  I do see where you are coming from Desley out of interest what would the something better be?

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2018, 14:54:44 PM »
YOU NEED TO GO WITH YOUR HEART DESLEY, THEY TRUST YOU AND NEED YOU, ANOTHER PERSON WOULD BE HIGHLY UNLIKELY TO GIVE THEM THE TIME AND THE PATIENCE THAT YOU GIVE

IT COMES A POINT IN YOUR LIFE WHERE ALTHOUGH YOU ARE A RESCUER YOU NEED CATS OF YOUR OWN THAT CAUSE YOU TO LOVE THEM AND LOOK AFTER THEM FOR THEIR LIFE. THIS DOES NOT STOP YOU DOING RESCUE BUT MAYBE IN A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WAY

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
It is definitely more than Chanel has ever had Sue, not sure about Coco, as we don’t know her past, but something has happened to make her distrust humans, she isn’t a true feral, she’s had a home at some point. The most important thing is that they don’t seem stressed by the confinement. My heart would love to keep them, as with their nature, I don’t know how well they would transfer trust onto another person, especially after the reaction to me going away for one night – I’m away for 8 days next month, so that will be interesting, but my head doesn’t want to potentially ruin the chance of them getting something better by me keeping them. The last two nights I’ve fed Lucy on the landing outside the door to see if that helps her dislike of them. She has been good recently, although Sooty has been winding her up this week and she has lashed out at him
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2018, 15:41:12 PM »

Thing is, Desley, you're giving them options and that's more than they've had.  You've always said if their big chance came up you'd give it to them, so there's no harm, and every benefit, in continuing as you have been. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2018, 13:37:13 PM »
Yes, they do seem a lot happier Sue. Odd that just moving the new scratch post a short distance (it was where the cube is on that pic!) is enough to get them both using it. They haven’t used the new shelf or the cat tree toy I put on the bookcase, not 100% they have used the new window toy either. Watching them interacting more made me feel a lot happier about my choice, they are still improving and Coco is getting braver and happily eating in front of me – however if something better came up I would still let them go.  Shame the enclosure has been put back till next week again, but at least it is cool enough to use Da Bird with Chanel
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2018, 08:59:56 AM »
I AGREE WITH SUE

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »

I've gotta say Desley, the girls look so much more at ease and relaxed in their improved quarters.   :wow:  It must make you feel so good about what you've been able to do.  ;D  I know it's a shame the window arrangement hasn't been done yet, but it'll be top notch for Coco and Chanel when it's finished. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2018, 07:20:49 AM »
Another good night with them, I moved the new scratch post at weekend, both used it  :Luv2:  Chanel even went in the cube to retrieve a toy. Need to bring up one that Lucy doesn't use. They love the beds on the windowsill, keep finding them in them. I also made Lucy have her supper outside their door, might keep doing that, could help
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:24:56 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2018, 18:22:28 PM »
They are Gill, put an extra bed on the windowsill last night, so they are both on there, one in each bed! I popped in for 10 mins after getting back from lunch and got a bit of a glare from Coco, so I wonder if my concern about not being able to spend enough time with them really is an issue, not sure how much Coco really needs it. Chanel only really wants me from a play point of view, which I haven't been able to do recently - it is still 25 in here at the moment.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2018, 15:34:06 PM »
OH THEY ARE DOING SO WELL AND HOPE THE ENCLOSURE WILL MAKE EVEN BETTER

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »
Coco has been more relaxed this past 24 hours, yesterday morning she looked like she would accept a treat, so I offered her one and she tapped my hand, last night she looked like she was going to play with a random bit of fluff, so I got the rainbow cord out and she had a play, but Chanel spoils it - am hoping that when they have the enclosure, Chanel will go out and Coco will stay in, and give me chance to do a bit of one on one with her. she was still a bit up for playing this morning  :Luv:
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2018, 19:58:48 PM »
LOL, I THINK I KNOW WHAT I CAN READ TO LUPIN

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2018, 13:36:35 PM »
I just read whatever I would normally read when in there Gill, they are currently being read a crime book, but they do enjoy the blog posts I read them at the weekend, especially the ones that involve sheep! In fact, I bought a book from that author just to read to the girls!
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2018, 22:39:03 PM »
WHAT DO YOU READ DESLEY, I MAY TRY IT WITH LUPIN

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2018, 13:36:48 PM »
Rubbish pics, as I only had the tablet with me, but I’d dumped a blanket that needed washing on top of the box on Sun and Chanel dived on it, so swapped it for her favourite cushion and last night she was padding away while I read to them. Coco was in the bed on the floor when I first walked in, but I forgot something and when I went back in she’d moved to her usual spot. Chanel was quite brave this morning and sniffed my face, so she got a Dreamie for that – she has been braver since I moved the table next to the chair I sit on, so she can be close to me without me being aware! It is amazing how well they respond to being read to – wouldn’t do it with Lucy, she can get huffy when you try and talk to her, even if you are saying how much you love her!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2018, 07:24:44 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

I love that, Desley. 

I used to underestimate the power of reading to cats in particular.  It wasn't until we got Moray, and we had to keep him away from Tinks initially, that I would read, and sit with him, telling him stories and other nonsense.  It gives them an opportunity to enjoy your company without stress, and they seem to know it's just for them.   When we got the gurlies, it was something I really think helped them to grow accustomed to our presence - that, and just sitting there watching catch up tv on the tablet, so they could explore without me being too direct with my presence.

I love that Coco "assumes the position" and settles down ready for a good story.   ;D

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2018, 22:00:58 PM »
LOVE IT THEY GET A BEDROOM STORY AND CHANEL BEING MISCIEVOUS AND SUR SHE WILL LOVE THE ENCLOSURE

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2018, 13:35:58 PM »
Went up early last night, so spent a bit of time reading quietly before their bedtime story, Coco didn’t seem too impressed, but when I started reading she laid out with one leg stretched in front of her, it really does relax her. Unfortunately Chanel was in mischief mode last night (not sure 23 is cool enough to start playing Da Bird with her!), so spoiled the moment! She was hilarious though, I’m sure she is going to love the enclosure, and luckily I can leave it open all night if they refuse to come in – although I’m hoping they are food orientated enough not to miss supper!
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2018, 20:05:35 PM »
No Gill, just not a cat person, never mind complex cats. Apparently we've had someone wanting a pair of semi feral cats so hope she doesn't forget our conversation or I may have to adopt them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2018, 18:49:38 PM »
I DONT UNDERSTAND THE RESCUE WOMAN, IS SHE THICK

CHANEL GOING BONKERS FOR YOUR CRISPS LOL, SHE SOUNDS LIKE A REAL CAT

I WISH I HAD A BUILDER TO DO THINGS FOR ME THAT QUICK, OR DO ANYTHING

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2018, 18:26:13 PM »
Builder is hopeful he can do it Wed/Thu this week. Rescue lady rang about a home visit last night and asked me about the girls, she said she was concerned about how long I'd had them (she thinks people get fed up if they have had them a certain length of time!), she seemed to forget the conversation we had the other week, asked if I thought they should go back in a pen (can you imagine??) so I said they weren't homeable in the true sense, when I described what they needed, she thought it was impossible, so I said again about the long term foster bit, she didn't seem too enthusiastic, but left it that she would trust my judgement, so I'll take that as a yes I can! I didn't mention the enclosure again as she didn't seem keen on me paying last time. At least my vet was more enthusiastic about the scenario.

Last night I ended up having some crisps in here (I try not to eat in the cat room), Chanel went bonkers and started gently touching my arm and leg, so I obviously gave her a bit!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2018, 18:22:20 PM »
COCO AND CHANEL ARE FULL OF SURPISES  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2018, 13:36:27 PM »
She really doesn’t Sue and thinks I’m too soft on her and that it’s made her worse, when the reality is I’ve found what calms her down the quickest, regardless of whether it is right or not. The sad part is because either the way my neighbour deals with her is harsher, or she picks up on the vibes, Lucy is very standoffish with her. Luckily I have a friend who isn’t put off by the hissing, and is happy to come round and just lie on my sofa when I go away, and Lucy will happily sit on her knee – she barely acknowledges her when I’m around, but my friend doesn’t get offended about that like my neighbour.
Had a good couple of days with them – when I changed the room the other week I moved some of the books from the bottom shelf of the bookcase and put a blanket on, they haven’t bothered with it, so I was going to wash it this weekend and put it away – one day this week Chanel was on it, last night not only was Coco on it, but didn’t move when I approached her to put her food in front of her!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2018, 14:17:36 PM »

Jackson Galaxy often talks about pushing a cat's "challenge line" but in a way in which you understand more about how to interact with them.

Sometimes, when what we know doesn't work, we have to think laterally, and try to figure out what will work with that particular cat (or human for that matter).    I don't think your neighbour quite grasps that.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2018, 13:47:33 PM »
That is a very good point Sue, for whatever reason, my neighbour just doesn't seem to 'get' Lucy, and always says 'I'd do x', regardless of the fact I said I tried that and it doesn't work, it makes the situation worse - I dread to think what kind of cat Lucy would be if she was with my neighbour. I am the only one brave enough to pick her up, and ignore the growling and nipping that sometimes comes with that, but I think deep down Lucy appreciates that.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2018, 14:27:54 PM »

Well, it's a funny thing Desley, but I've known a few people who are "no stranger" to a certain situation or set of circumstances,  and persist in a singular type of approach which is often inappropriate or counter-productive to the said situation or circumstances.  You can encounter something again and again without beginning to understand or harmonise with it.

[Like me and long division  ;) :evillaugh:]

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2018, 13:29:00 PM »
Not sure I know what Lucy’s hisses always mean! I know what you mean, but my neighbour is no stranger to semi-feral type cats, and you’d think she’d have learnt a bit about Lucy’s ways by now.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2018, 14:07:10 PM »

Moray occasionally hisses at OH if OH approaches him with grooming implements.  Doesn't hiss much at me though, cos I whisper sweet nuffinks in his ear, and sing his little song to him.   :evillaugh:  It''s all about the approach and the mood of the cat.  You know what Lucy's warning hisses mean - with the greatest of respect to your neighbour, she doesn't.  Instead she responds to the hiss having the desired effect, and keeps away. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2018, 13:25:38 PM »
Builder came on Sun, he thinks it will be next week before he can start building it, he’s struggling a bit with the mesh. Coco stayed on the floor this morning when I went in, even when I fed them, so she ate on the floor rather than her usual spot and started eating before I left the room, which is really good for her.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2018, 13:46:56 PM »
Sorry Liz, not much help! Fortunately being hissed at doesn't faze me, unlike my neighbour - she was near Lucy last night so I asked her to stop Lucy doing something and Lucy hissed as she got near, so she walked away - when I asked her to try again, it was 'what, you want me to go near your hissing, snarling cat' - I'd watched Lucy, and it was a tame hiss, but I wasn't asking my neighbour to touch her, just interrupt her. She still hisses at me most days, but quickly goes to rubbing my legs/feet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2018, 20:01:01 PM »
If its any help our Blue feral has been with us 12 years and still hisses at us as we place his evening treat on the chair next to him :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2018, 13:46:23 PM »
She often does stop mid hiss – she generally hisses when doing the litter tray (she sits directly above it), but I tell her what I’m doing and she stops, moves her eyes like she’s considering what you’ve said, then stops and settles down.
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2018, 18:46:53 PM »
LOVE SHE STOPPED MID HISS LOL

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2018, 13:37:28 PM »
Yes, Paula, there is progress and they are responsive cats, it’s just not in the normal way. I offered Coco a new toy last night, she started hissing, then stopped mid hiss, I wish I had taken a pic of it! Chanel has finally been in the cat cube though, just the Senses circuit she isn’t bothered with, will probably end up going to my neighbours. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2018, 10:53:43 AM »
Two lovely girls Desley :Luv:, it does sound as if you are making progress even if it is a slow process.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Link to CatChat