Author Topic: New kitten & resident cat - advice please  (Read 25303 times)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: New kitten & resident cat - advice please
« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
Ha, ha that sounds just like Buffy. She doesn't gum me now thank goodness but she wakes me up every morning with loud purrs, tapping and nosing. Sometimes she tries to dig me out of the bed, she also meows and squeaks. She usually does it at different times maybe it's sunrise. She's a right pain sometimes and my OH says just ignore her and push her off but she's so cute I just can't.  :Luv2: I think if you don't discourage him he will just carry on.     

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
Well Bruno , at just over 11 weeks, has decided to at around 5am/6am come up to my face and tap me with his paw. This usually then accompanies very very loud purring. This doesn't normally wake me so it proceeds to lick my eye lashes. This is followed by licking my nose and a little nibble too. Then he goes all for it, he pushes his head under my chin and pats my face with his paws. He then purrs even louder and starts wiping his mouth and gums along my mouth. The other morning I made the mistake of doing the same back to him so rubbing my cheek on his and cuddling into him. I think now he thinks it is what we do at such an ungodly hour .....but my God he's so cute I can't get angry  :Luv2: I hope he never changes. Hes such a loving mummys boy and I want him to stay that way.  :Luv:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »
One of the things I noticed with mine is how quickly they get their personalities. They do change a bit but Buffy always loved a cuddle. She'd be happy cuddling you all day. Xander was never that keen, he's friendly and likes being stroked but has never really liked being picked up. They were like this a 6 weeks old and are the same at 3 years. Buffy still comes on the bed and pesters me but not quite as much as when she was a kitten.

I remember my old cat used to come and tap me on the nose the the morning when she was a kitten and that stopped as she got older which I was always sad about.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »
As they get older they do like a little more independence but have to say my boys are still coming for Mummy cuddles and to sit on my knee ranging from 13 down to the Bengallys at 7 months and I have my limpets in Sergai and the Boris

Even some of my ferals come for cuddles and to sit on my knee and purr up a storm in fact mine have me on a rota basis I have my daytime and my night time kids then theres the come to bed crew
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2014, 05:24:26 AM »
...I thought I'd carry on with this thread as its all Bruno behaviour related. What I was wondering was as kittens get older do they change levels and ways of showing affection?? Their ability to show affection, does it change with age??

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2014, 17:56:43 PM »
Awwwww - nuff said  :Luv:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2014, 13:34:06 PM »
How lovely to wake up to that gawjus little lad!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2014, 13:14:12 PM »
Nope Bebe most def has her love of food back...little miss piggy :)

;D ;D

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2014, 13:12:46 PM »
Nope Bebe most def has her love of food back...little miss piggy :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »

Now that little face could greet me any day of the week!   :Luv:  There's something about the sight of a little pink nose just waiting to be kissed.....   :)

Is so good to hear that they've been having a daft half hour together, as it sounds like Bruno's tummy troubles are settling down, and Bebe is not wanting for lack of food (or company  :evillaugh:)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
I hope so. Bebe and Bruno were having great fun this morning running round like loons :) I wanted to share some photos of the little man, this is the face which greeted me when I woke this morning.....

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »

Butter wouldn't melt......    :Luv2:

NikNakNoo - relax.  They're still setting groundrules and tolerances between themselves.  Am quite sure Bruno is more than capable of sticking up for himself, and probably did something quite cheeky in comparison that you didnt see.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »
He is  ;D ;D

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2014, 22:03:58 PM »
Because he's so handsome...

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2014, 19:10:51 PM »
Question.....generally Bebe and Bruno live fairly happily together considering they've only been together two weeks or so. But last night and this evening we heard hissing and when we checked Bruno was lying on his back, belly up and paws apart and Bebe was swiping at him even though he was no threat. Brunos ears were back and he look scared. Was Bebe being aggressive? Was Bruno giving off subtle signs to provoke Bebe??

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2014, 17:45:48 PM »
Sounds as if things are going well  ;D

Alfie (who is 2.5) would so love Cleo to play but, being older (around 12), she is just not interested. She is very 'people orientated' and simply doesn't want a cat friend. Poor Alfie!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
they grow out of the biting don't worry

Yup, they do.  You can discourage it by gently pushing his face away, or by disengaging his claws and removing your hand, offering him the toy instead. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
they grow out of the biting don't worry

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
Yeah I think she is okay with him being here. It's very cute when they touch noses :) Bruno is a top kitten and Bebe is such a lovely girl so I'm glad they are getting a long for the most part. I just hope they are okay when we move. That's the next big hurdle.

Is there anyway of stopping Bruno biting? He loves playing with hands and chewing on fingers and picks that over playing with toys. It was ok when he first arrived but now it's getting harder. Also...he chases his tail a lot...Bebe just looks at him like Hes crazy :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »

Oh they'll definitely still be bonding - I would say that it took Moray and Tinks around 4 months in total, and for now Bruno will still be very "full on" whereas, being an adult cat, Bebe will be less so - however, the fact that she engages in play with Bruno - including the bopping onna head bit - is very much a sign of her acceptance of him.  :)

Remember to give them both shared playtime too, and it's more likely that Bebe will join in.  Our two still love time with the Flying Frenzy toy, although they dont ask for it in the way they did when Moray was only three or four months old.    When they stop asking, we still have to remember to offer it - cats love that you think of them, and think of ways to enrich their lives.   :) 

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2014, 08:12:52 AM »
How are Bruno and Bebe this morning? 

They are very well. Bruno slept under the duvet all night. Woke to him nibbling my ankle and Bebe slept in her bed. Think they both want feeding now tho :) fav time of the time for them. Bebe is eating quite happily again now which is great.

One thing we've noticed is that Bruno so wants to play with Bebe. He follows her, hides and jumps out at her, wiggles at her but Bebe just doesn't respond. Poor Bruno, feel sorry for him :) sometimes Bebe will take part in some chasing but that's it. She tends to just bop him on the head a few times. I guess maybe they are still bonding and Bebe is quite a solitary cat I think anyway.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2014, 06:53:53 AM »
How are Bruno and Bebe this morning? 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #219 on: May 21, 2014, 19:59:56 PM »
I think if they learn young to be lap cats or snugglers it stays with them..............I dont have any now although Misa has come back to being a lying in bed next to me and demands strokes. When he thinks I have dozed off he leaves.

Bebe is beuatiful  ;D ;D

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »
Yeah we don't mind either. Like you say affectionate in their own was :) I have a feeling Mr Bruno will always be a under duvet snuggler!! :) he likes his comfort too much

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2014, 07:38:32 AM »

That's never been a problem in my book - Tinks isn't a great lap cat, and hates being picked up, but he's nontheless very affectionate in his own way. The Padster was very similar - liked to sit next to you, but you had to be still, and not make too much of a fuss.   :shy:  Mac and Ross were, and Moray is, all shameless snoozlers, and I love that too - their terms are just fine by me.   :Luv:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2014, 07:18:13 AM »
Yeah she is and has the personality to match. The only thing is she doesn't like sitting on your lap or next to you. She's rather independent little girl. ....but still lovely.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »

She's a real stunner, isn't she?  I love the nuances of colour in her coat, especially where the sun shines on them.  She's a very photogenic cat.   :Luv2:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2014, 21:01:15 PM »
Here are some more photos of Bebe. They were a lot bigger but due to the size limit I can upload I've cut them down. She's so pretty :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2014, 17:13:38 PM »
We move at the start of July. The cats will have more room as its a bigger place.  and yeah Bebe is relaxed about most things apart from having her claws trimmed :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2014, 15:24:54 PM »
What a lovely photo! Bebe looks very relaxed  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #211 on: May 20, 2014, 13:06:38 PM »

How soon will it be for your move, do you know yet?  How exciting!    :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2014, 13:00:38 PM »
I suspect that no further worming is needed then.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
Yes Bebe is beautiful. She is such a lovely patient cat. Not once has she bitten or used her claws. She just meows when she's had enough of being picked up :) other than the first 3 days of hissing at Bruno she has taken him in her stride. She even tried cleaning him this morning.

Bruno I think was wormed at 2 and 7 weeks old using Panacur cream. I will check with the vet and see if we need to do it again now.

Got another hurdle coming up, we are moving home. Hopefully they both just again take it in their stride but will wait and see.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
Things are looking up then  ;D

Mine are outdoor/indoor cats and they just get wormed once a year at annual check. Misa gets a mini pill and the other two spot ons...........Lupin is like rottweiller and Sasa is still a terrified semi feral.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:32 AM »

Worming advice varies depending on the cat's age, lifestyle and the product you choose, and generally worming for indoor cats is less frequent than for outdoor cats.

We do ours (roughly) every 3 months, but they have full outdoor access and do catch rodents.  At the moment we use Drontal or Panacur and have used another, the name of which escapes me but which we got from the vet when we had Ross.

I could see the piccie this time!   :wow:  Bebe has very rich tabby markings, hasn't she.  So lovely to see her and young Bruno enjoying each other's company  :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
maybe its me but thought you said he had diahrea sp? What did the vet say about that? ThaTS WHAT NEEDS TO BE SORTED OUT ASAP...........sorry caps lock came on..........sigh

If Bebe is 2ish then would let her sort out her feeding, she will eat when she is hungry and would let them eat together.

4 days is nothing and seems they like each other.

Has he been wormed?  Sorry dontg know if its too young.

Yeah that's all much better. It was all part of his infection. So as I said with the meds and the new food he's doing good :)

Sue - they are getting on so well. Bebe is very good with him. I agree, I think he just doesn't like being bothered when he's eating which I don't blame him for. He just loves his food. One question though, how often does the little man need worming? Hes 9 weeks on Friday. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:24:56 AM by NikNakNoo »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2014, 08:15:24 AM »
I've got him on RC sensitive meat now and his no2's seem a lot better.

That's great to hear  :)  Always a worry with young uns ....

Beautiful pic  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:31 AM »

Aw - cant see the piccie on me work poota for some reason, but glad to hear that the vet visit went relatively uneventfully and hoping that he's improving all round

Seems like he's quite protective of his food, although to be honest, I tend to give ours their food and leave them in peace to eat it, as many cats dont like to be fussed whilst they're eating.  Thinking about it, I guess I don't much either  :evillaugh:

If the aggression towards Bebe persists or gets worse, you could try taking them back to eating either side of a closed door to see if that eases the situation, then gradually leaving the door a little ajar - maybe give it a week or so to see how it goes.  If that doesnt work, then either feed them separately, or put them at either side of the room.

Am pleased bebe seems to be eating more again.   :)

Aside from his tummy trouble (which I hope can be sorted very soon) and the slightly anti-social food situation, they do seem to be getting on very well.   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2014, 23:26:29 PM »
maybe its me but thought you said he had diahrea sp? What did the vet say about that? ThaTS WHAT NEEDS TO BE SORTED OUT ASAP...........sorry caps lock came on..........sigh

If Bebe is 2ish then would let her sort out her feeding, she will eat when she is hungry and would let them eat together.

4 days is nothing and seems they like each other.

Has he been wormed?  Sorry dontg know if its too young.

Link to CatChat