Author Topic: Biting - Ouch  (Read 3227 times)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
Re: Biting - Ouch
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:07 AM »
Well I've just bought him a catit track too but the original. Lets hope he likes it, sure he will. Also bought a litter bin which looks amazing at keeping odour etc in and I'm far too excited about it then a normal person should be :) but anyways, hopefully these new toys will help wee Bruno to release some of his energy though looking at him, its like butter wouldn't melt  :Luv2: :Luv2:

And a photo of Bebe, because she's beautiful  8) :Luv:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:45:18 AM by NikNakNoo »

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 18:07:50 PM »
One cube purchased.....let's wait and see what Bruno and Bebe think of it lol it does look a bit kinda boring but maybe it's the best thing since catnip for cats?! Who knows :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 15:27:02 PM »
I couldn't believe how popular the cube was, it doesn't look the kind of thing that would be very exciting! Alfie mainly uses it as a bed now though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 15:27:48 PM by Slugsta, Reason: typo »

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »
He is probably missing scrapping with his litter mates now all the excitement of his new home is wearing off!

Is he still being kept in his camp while you are out/ at night? If he is he may not be expending enough energy. If he is now free to roam I would invest in some toys to wear him out a bit, as I guess Bebe isn't into 'playing' with him?!

Since he is a big kitten the cubes in the purrs shop may entertain him, the kittens at my local rescue love the catit senses track with a ball in it. I know you said you dont have much room, but the cubes fold up flat and you can just pop them on the floor when you go out. You would be amazed how entertaining cats find them!  :rofl:

No he was out of his den within the first day of him arriving. We let him have the run of the flat with Bebe. And Bebe does play with him. They run about chasing each other.

What are these cubes?? And maybe a track and ball sounds a good investment.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
He is probably missing scrapping with his litter mates now all the excitement of his new home is wearing off!

Is he still being kept in his camp while you are out/ at night? If he is he may not be expending enough energy. If he is now free to roam I would invest in some toys to wear him out a bit, as I guess Bebe isn't into 'playing' with him?!

Since he is a big kitten the cubes in the purrs shop may entertain him, the kittens at my local rescue love the catit senses track with a ball in it. I know you said you dont have much room, but the cubes fold up flat and you can just pop them on the floor when you go out. You would be amazed how entertaining cats find them!  :rofl:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
When mine were kittens I remember I had bite and scratch marks all over my hands. It was a bit embarrassing at work sometimes.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »
it really will get better, I have a bengal (big teeth and claws!) and she was a pain in the backside for biting and scratching but by the time she was six months (I know that sounds ages) she was completely over it

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »
Well it seems to be getting worse. Ive tried all that's been suggested but Hes really bad at the moment and it really hurts. When he's in the "mood" I can't even stroke him without him sinking his teeth into my finger, hand, arm or elbow. Any other suggestions? I'm wondering whether having him castrated may help but Hes only 11 weeks, a big 11 weeks but our vet will only do it at 4 months old at the earliest.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 21:51:05 PM »
I used to hold cardboard for mine to bite into when they were teething. They seemed to really like it. Their breath was awful as well. 

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 20:56:09 PM »
No it's not one of my favs, I just tend to wear it in the evenings when in my pjs. Maybe it does smell of me, I'm not sure. But will be keeping an eye on him.

As for the biting, it was bad first thing but Hes not too bad today. I think Hes teething. Poor mite.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 16:21:12 PM »
I would do the NO! and a little blow in his face. I would do it for ours as kittens when they went behind the TV or on the kitchen bench. He probably IS just playing, but Evie who we got at approx 1yr old will suddenly bite you (gently) sometimes when she seems to be enjoying having a stroke  :Crazy:

I think I will try Susannes remedy for it, as I usually instinctively pull my hand away!

Is it one of your favourite jumpers he does this to, or is it just because it is woolen? If it smells like you that may be why... Denzel at 4 still loves to knead my dressing gown, but if he is sucking it I would probably throw it away!!! Eating wool can be a problem (addiction?) for cats

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 19:09:10 PM »
I think I'll try keeping my hand still and see whether he loses interest. He does chew my finger right at the back on his mouth but he does bite too. This morning I woke up to a paw being tapped on my face followed by having my elbow bitten! I've noticed he does something odd on one of my jumpers. I have a woolly jumper and when he's cuddling into me he closes his eyes, starts purring and looks like he's looking for something, mouth pressed into my jumper, paws needing the jumper and nibbling as he goes. He gets to my armpit and shoves his head right into it and starts needing again licking my jumper. Is he looking for a nipple to suckle?? If not, what's he doing?? He only does it to this one and only jumper.

Aww bless.  My Ollie used to do that as well.  With me it was my dressing gown.  For some reason he liked the feel of it and it must have reminded him of his mum.  He would snuffle his little nose on it and start treading with the paws.  I am not sure but I think it's a hangover from when they were being fed by their mum.  Although he is nearly 2 now he occasionally still comes for a "mummy cuddle" as I call it.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 18:56:56 PM »
I think I'll try keeping my hand still and see whether he loses interest. He does chew my finger right at the back on his mouth but he does bite too. This morning I woke up to a paw being tapped on my face followed by having my elbow bitten! I've noticed he does something odd on one of my jumpers. I have a woolly jumper and when he's cuddling into me he closes his eyes, starts purring and looks like he's looking for something, mouth pressed into my jumper, paws needing the jumper and nibbling as he goes. He gets to my armpit and shoves his head right into it and starts needing again licking my jumper. Is he looking for a nipple to suckle?? If not, what's he doing?? He only does it to this one and only jumper.

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 18:51:18 PM »
I've been lucky with my three and not had the bitting issue.  The comment about teething is probably pretty much on the nail.  I know with George when he was a kitten he would try and get my finger in his mouth to chew on rather than bite.  It really did just remind me of a baby teething.  He seemed to actually like it, especially towards the back of his mouth.

My friend's cat used to bite.  Like you say it wasn't because he was viscious, just didn't know how hard he was hurting.  When he did it with me I just just to say ouch quite firmly.  The little minx would then immediatley lick my hand where he had been biting to say sorry  :rofl:

Again I agree with the advice about not tapping the nose as, if it does hurt him, he will assoicate the pain with your hands which a) will make him worse and b) will make him scared of you reaching down to stroke or pick up.

He's a mischievous little bundle of joy and still young and finding his boundaries with you, your OH and Bebe. 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 14:23:37 PM »
Jaffa's brother Magpie used to bite my hand when playing.  I think he just got over stimulated.  I followed some advice I read at the time to try and not move or respond to it (so that you don't respond as prey and make the "game" more exciting).  It took a bit of practice as it's instinctive to pull the hand away if swiped at or bitten.  But eventually if he went for my hand I would freeze, leave my hand where it was and look away.  After a few seconds he'd let go as there was no reward for him since I didn't shriek, pull my hand away or give him any sort of reward for the behaviour.  Gradually over a few months he stopped doing it.  I think that as Bruno is so little he is just playing and will likely grow out of it but some cats don't so probably best to try and nip it in the bud (excuse the pun!)

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 19:32:14 PM »
I had a biting cat who was a nightmare. We let her bite our hands when she was a kitten and she would wait and attack our legs at night. so I wanted to make sure we didn't have the same issue with the two we have now. I found blowing on them or making a squeaking or ouch noise when they do it usually works. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 17:40:51 PM »
He is still very young no matter what size he is.  He may have started teething.  He will bite and chew a lot until he stops teething.  I think teething is usually between 3 and 5 months.  Kittens teeth are obviously very sharp as are their claws and you should never use fingers/hands as toys.  People often do and find it difficult to correct the learned behaviour. 

I wouldn't tap on the nose either. 

I would say a very firm "NO" and blow very hard on the little tykes face.  Short and sharp, then distract with a fishing rod toy so hands are well out of the way.  Maybe even hiss at him?

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 17:39:38 PM »
Its not a smack or in anyway hurtful. It's literallly a little tap, and "no". The trouble is he does it at night too., when we dont have toys to hand. I'm hoping he grows out of it.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
No nose tapping should ever be used with kittens or cats the easiest way is distraction and lots of games but that doesn't involve hands - My youngest 3 - Sergai is 10 months and the Bengallys Quaver and Minstrel are coming up just over 6 months all understand Nasty evil Mummy's No voice and I get the hang dog look as the all 3 were leg runners but were soon distracted by the da bird or red dot machine

It is a case of tiring them out sorry would personally have nasty words with anyone who smacked or tapped a kitten or puppy on the nose it hurts and can lead to issues in the future
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
Biting - Ouch
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »
Hi all

Looking for more advice I'm afraid. Bruno is now 10 weeks old and weighing roughly 1.4kg (is that big?). He appears a big kitten for that age but the issue is he bites very hard. If he's playful or not sleepy as soon as you go to stroke him he bites your hand. Yesterday he bit my otherhalf's finger badly it drew blood. I know he's not meaning to hurt as he's such a delightful little boy but the biting needs to stop. I get the feeling he doesn't know his own strength. I know its advised to tap on the nose and say no or replace ur hand with a toy but he then thinks it is a game. Any other advice or ideas?

Many thanks and happy Friday :)
Nik

Link to CatChat