Author Topic: New kitten & resident cat - advice please  (Read 25306 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: New kitten & resident cat - advice please
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »
Squuueeeeeeee!!!!!     :evillaugh:  Cuteness overload!!  Alert! Alert!!

They are just gorgeous photos, and what a very photogenic litter - I love the little sleepy one on the left. 

You are going to have soooo much fun when Bruno comes home with you.   ;D

Bebe had better start planning her "time out" spots now, bless her heart.   ;)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2014, 09:11:56 AM »
A few more of Mr fatty mcbruno belly....:)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2014, 17:25:21 PM »

Gosh, he's so munch-able!   :Luv:

He is indeed!  :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »

Hey, NikNakNoo - he's showing definite signs of promise there - clearly keen on photography, and with a very proprietorial interest in the washbag, he could be a real boon around the house.   :evillaugh:

Gosh, he's so munch-able!   :Luv:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »
More...well okay then, just got more...:)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »

Mind?  Mind?   You're very lucky that we havent been demanding more and more!!   :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :hug: :hug:  Compared to his littermates he is a big lad   :)  The little kitten behind him is a bonny little thing too.  I bet you cant wait to fetch him home.  Heck, we can't wait to welcome him officially to Purrs.   ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2014, 00:27:33 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2014, 23:14:07 PM »
Another pic of Bruno....Hope you don't mind. :)  apparently he is the largest of the litter

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2014, 13:48:24 PM »
Cats have so much personality purrsonality.  I was always more of a dog person as a child and young adult (I mithered so much for a dog as a child that I was eventually told I could have one if I passed my 11+ - I did and we ended up with a black and white cocker spaniel who I always considred to be "my" dog).  Whilst I liked cats I didn't realise how much you could bond with a cat before I shared my life and my home with them.  You have to put in the work if you want a relationship with a cat but the more you give the more you get back. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2014, 13:13:37 PM »

We were always dog people too - we still love dogs (and I'd love to have another, but that's a story for a different day) but cats are the most fascinating of creatures - complex, interesting and so rewarding if you make the effort with them.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2014, 13:06:08 PM »
:evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Well, possession is 9/10ths of the law - you're hers too.  Nice thought, isn't it?   :)

Yes she has done wonders when it comes to my feelings on cats. As I said, always a dog girl but she's changing me ......there's something rather intriguing and interesting about cats that I'd not noticed before :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2014, 13:02:39 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Well, possession is 9/10ths of the law - you're hers too.  Nice thought, isn't it?   :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
Confidence is something she no longer lacks lol I've just done myself some toast and she invited herself next to me to then pop her paw on top of the toast as if to say this slice is mine! :) such a cutie

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »

Isnt it lovely though to see a cat regaining confidence, and then when they have a right good padding session and purr away it always makes my heart swell.   :Luv: 

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »
She loves her bed. Wasn't sure about the stranger in the bedroom to start with but then it had treats and catnip on it and after a day of two it didn't seem so scary and actually rather comfortable. Now every night she gets in, pads it down while purring and sleeps all night....and day lol :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2014, 12:07:36 PM »

Very wise.....    ;)  (She does fill that basket beautifully)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
Bebe has taken your advice and has spent the morning resting ..... :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »

Oh yes - the phrase "monkey trousers" definitely springs to mind.   :Luv2:  I hope Bebe is bracing herself for the potential onslaught!  ;)

It's not Bebe I worry about, it's us! Lol :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »

Oh yes - the phrase "monkey trousers" definitely springs to mind.   :Luv2:  I hope Bebe is bracing herself for the potential onslaught!  ;)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2014, 20:02:17 PM »
He is just gorgeous. He's got a little mischievous look. I bet he will be in the norty club ;-)
  :)

Yes....we also think he is going to be a monkey lol

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2014, 17:13:55 PM »
He is just gorgeous. He's got a little mischievous look. I bet he will be in the norty club ;-)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
Awww I hope Bruno is a bit fluffy. Mum cat is short haired but who knows about daddy. I love his little fluffy legs and ears :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2014, 06:46:44 AM »
Looks like he could well be semi longhaired.   ;D  Having said that, that's what we thought when we brought Moray home.  He now has all the characteristics of a Maine Coon, including the ear tufts, the furry toe pads, the neck mane and the fluffy troosers.  As we say:  "Just when did he get that fluffy?!"   :evillaugh:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2014, 18:40:23 PM »
goodgroucho  :Luv:

love Bruno's furry pantaloons!

teehee the excited auntie squad indeed  ;D

Yes I noticed that too :) I wonder what length coat he will end up with? He is classed as a"moggy" a bit like a mix of dog breeds is a mongrel?

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2014, 18:16:08 PM »
 goodgroucho  :Luv:

love Bruno's furry pantaloons!

teehee the excited auntie squad indeed  ;D
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2014, 17:52:26 PM »
Rosella, what fab video clips - especially Groucho - couldnt believe my eyes!   :wow:

NikNakNoo - Bruno is so lovely.  I hope you've let Bebe see so she can watch how he's coming along.   :Luv: ;)

Not yet but we will probably visit Bruno one last time before we bring him home so will bring something home which smells of Bruno for Bebe to sniff. He is turning into a mighty kitten!!! Hope he likes cuddles :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2014, 17:45:14 PM »
Rosella, what fab video clips - especially Groucho - couldnt believe my eyes!   :wow:

NikNakNoo - Bruno is so lovely.  I hope you've let Bebe see so she can watch how he's coming along.   :Luv: ;)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 16:57:33 PM »
....and so he grows :) just over 5 weeks now!!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 22:24:29 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:05 AM »
         can't wait for the bruno and bebe together photos xx               

Me neither - he is such a little darling.  Am laughing because NikNakNoo - do we remind you of a bunch of excited Aunties, waiting impatiently for a new baby to be brought home?  Well, that's coz we are!!!    :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  We're bebe and Bruno's huge extended family - all barking mad, and all very excited for you.

Bebe will of course still be Big Boss Lady Cat, but I would bet a pound to a penny that she'll be quite taken with young Bruno in due course.

It's lovely you are excited :) and I really hope Bebe does take to him. We are getting him with the hope they will become friends and she can have some company. I hold a bit of quiet hope as Bebe is young, always lived with another cat and been a mum twice. Plus she has a fantastic laid back patient personality :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 07:21:37 AM »

Me neither - he is such a little darling.  Am laughing because NikNakNoo - do we remind you of a bunch of excited Aunties, waiting impatiently for a new baby to be brought home?  Well, that's coz we are!!!    :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  We're bebe and Bruno's huge extended family - all barking mad, and all very excited for you.

Bebe will of course still be Big Boss Lady Cat, but I would bet a pound to a penny that she'll be quite taken with young Bruno in due course.

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2014, 00:19:58 AM »
rrrarrgh!  he is super! definite hint of mishcief in him though too by the look of it although that is the best way!!!

yes to scent if you can bring something Bruno has slept on home to Bebe, groups of cats have a family smell so if she is familiar with his smell she may think he some long lost nephew already. you shouldn't need to keep them separate for long, especially as its difficult in your house. kittens make adjustments to new things very quickly, although Bebe might want him out of the way sometimes. i wouldn't leave them together unsupervised until you are sure they are both happy. but with a kitten and an adult it may not take long at all. Let Bebe have a high up place where she becomes invisible as Bruno looks like he may be  a maniac for playing!

he will be ok if he leaves his mum and sibs  a bit early but he will miss out on some learning. Bebe will teach him a lot too but she may not be that interested and kittens learn so much about manners from their brothers and sisters (mainly it hurts when you bite!) we have known some ill-mannered cats who have been unfortunate to grow up as only kittens. i know its not really your call but if you could drop a hint like 'i hope he can stay with his family until they are all 10 weeks (say 8/9 if you think 10 is pushing it) but if his siblings have gone early too of course we will pick him up' sometimes people think that because a kitten is weaned its ready to go and also that because a mum has got fed up (and they sometimes do when the kittens are around 7/8 weeks old) they are good to go. They are OK its just better if they stay a little longer. If the mum cat is going out she will get pregnant again as they can get pregnant when the kittens reach about 5 weeks old and her last 'boyfriend' will surely know where she is! Again its not your responsibility but if you think she is not aware then maybe let her know. I do realise that you don't want to atagonise the owner when she has your baby  :)

:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 23:51:28 PM »
Well he us certainly growing daily.... More pics for you :) apparently he looooves his food and is always the first one to start eating and he uses the litter tray every time now and had no accidents. Good boy Bruno :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 21:30:21 PM »
I would play it very much intuitively.  You could secret Bruno away in his designated area, and maybe let him out after an hour or so under close - very close - supervision. 

If there is lots of hissing and angst, then spirit Bruno away again.   Immediately.   If not, steer clear and watch them from a suitable distance, being ready to intervene if things become "boisterous"

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 20:52:04 PM »
Wow that's all really interesting. I did consider trying to get Bruno's scent on something to bring home to Bebe so she can use to his smell prior to him coming home. If my gut feeling is "they are okay" can I let them meet each other the first night I bring Bruno home? Or is that too much too soon??

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 13:54:09 PM »
wish I'd known susanne, I might have been able to disguise willow when I got her home  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 13:49:53 PM »
It did seem to work as Mosi spent the first night cuddled up to me in bed and Jaffa spent the night the other side of my lying on the bed.  No hissing or issues whatsoever.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 13:45:08 PM »
    One thing Mosi's breeder did before I brought him home was to rub baby powder into his fur to disguise the smell of other cats he'd been in contact with and reduce his smell a bit to Jaffa.

That's interesting - never come across that before.  I love the way we learn things on here, quite unexpectedly.   :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 13:40:11 PM »

I've never heard how Jaffa and Mosi were introduced before. 

You know what's interesting?  When I introduced Mosi to Jaffa he hissed.  A silly little kitten hiss that Jaffa treated with the contempt it deserved.  But between then, and it was just one hiss, until he growled at Jaffa recently after he had a seizure I have never heard Mosi hiss or growl. Not once.  And Jaffa did literally sit or lie on him when he got a bit too big for his paws.  They would play and Mosi was such a little thing and Jaffa a big, fully grown 8 year old so it was inevitable that Jaffa would win every contest but Mosi just lay there not the least bit bothered until Jaffa released him and they could start all over again  :rofl:  They actually both slept on the bed Mosi's first night home without any bother.

One thing Mosi's breeder did before I brought him home was to rub baby powder into his fur to disguise the smell of other cats he'd been in contact with and reduce his own smell a bit to Jaffa.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 13:44:04 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat