Author Topic: New kitten & resident cat - advice please  (Read 25287 times)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Bebe & Bruno
Re: New kitten & resident cat - advice please
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2014, 21:13:00 PM »
Hi

Yes I did take him to the vet (I have posted about it in another thread) but as a short update....basically vet said she couldn't see any crystals in his wee but all the signs are there that he could have a slight urinary infection so he's got some antibiotics to take for 6 days which he is. I've got him on RC sensitive meat now and his no2's seem a lot better. The vet said he hasn't put on as much weight but he's a big boy for his age anyways so she wasn't overly concerned.

Bebe is 2 (we think), we rehomed her from a girl who didn't want her anymore. They are getting on great now. We are nearly settled on the food situation. She's eating more then she was. One thing we have noticed is that is Bruno has food in his mouth and you go to stroke him, he growls. He will also growl and Bebe if she comes too close whilst he's eating. Hes never done it to me, just my otherhalf and Bebe. I am hoping it's something he just grows out of.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2014, 20:55:27 PM »
Did you take Bruno to the vet and if so what did he say?

How old is Bebe?

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
Yes sadly Bruno still has an upset tummy. His no2's are almost water and very gray in colour. He seems totally fine in himself though. I fed him chicken and rice yesterday but hasn't seemed to have made any difference. As for Bebe she's still not eating. I've tried feeding her in a different room, tried closing the door and letting her eat in her normal spot. I've tried warming her food, tried adding her fav treats but nothing. She does all the "I'm hungry please feed me" signs but as soon as the food is put down she sniffs it and walks off.

On a separate note, that had a brilliant time playing yesterday evening. She likes Bruno chasing her and then she chases him...bops him on his head a few times then hides behind the sofa. She seems totally unphased by it all apart from not eating. We are a bit worried :(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2014, 07:09:24 AM »
Awww lovely pics.  Looks like it's going really well  ;D

He will drink when he's ready.  Sorry I've forgotten what you are feeding him - does he have wet food?  You could add a bit of water to that if you're concerned he's not getting enough water but unless he's dehydrated I wouldn't worry.

Are you feeding Bebe near Bruno?  Perhaps a few special treats for her when he's not looking?

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »

Oh yes, he's cute alright.   ;)

As long as he has a ready supply of fresh water then the chances are, he'll drink when he's ready.   You could try moving his water away from the food dishes, as sometimes cats prefer their water to be sited elsewhere.  You could also let him explore a gently running tap, under supervision, to see if he likes that.

I know we hardly ever see Tinks or Moray drink (and when we do its inevitably out of the pond, and not the wonderful cat fountain we bought them  :evillaugh:)  Has the tummy situation calmed down?  You can check to see if he's dehydrated by pinching the skin gently at the scruff of his neck and looking to see how quickly or slowly it subsides.  If they're dehydrated, skin takes longer to return to normal.  It's possible if he has an  upset tum that he needs some water, but the cat milk suggestion is a good one, and if his poo problem has eased, I would just keep an eye on the situation to make sure it doesnt recur.

It's easy to forget that whilst we're having so much fun watching our new cat and existing cat interact, it's an enormous change for new cat - change of home, change of food, change of care-giver, change of cat companions.  As kittens they tend to take much of it in their stride with the right encouragement, and I think you're very good at keeping an eye on things and offering that encouragement, so keep up the good work.

Bebe's such a lovely cat, isn't she?  She seems to be taking Bruno very much as she finds him, and is interested in him, as a new companion.   ;D

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2014, 19:09:46 PM »
I wonder if he isn't drinking because he's been used to getting milk from his Mum so hasn't really needed to drink water. They will carry on getting milk from their Mum for months if they can. Maybe try him with some cat milk.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2014, 18:47:38 PM »
And last one cos it's so cute.... This is do you think I'm cute pose..

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2014, 18:45:52 PM »
...and another

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2014, 18:44:32 PM »
For only 4 days I think things are going well.......

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
I have another question....sorry...

Any ideas why Bebe isn't eating? She loves her food normally but since getting Bruno she really hasn't eaten much.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »
That's the thing, I've not seen him drink since being here. I popped some kibble in some water and he licked that but otherwise Hes not drinking. He kind of looks like he doesn't know how. He shoved his head in too far and scares himself or doesn't seem to realise the water is for drinking.

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
If you can make sure he is getting lots to drink as kittens can get dehydrated quicker than adult cats if they have the runs and sickness.  Hugs to Bruno

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:19 AM »
Yes we are feeding him the same but he's taken to bebes kibble and meat so trying to stop him eating that. (Currently they are chasing each other around :) ) he's been a little sick this morning too with another two very soft poos. I think a trip to the vet maybe in order......poor little mite

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
oh bless.  Are you feeding him the same as he was on before he came to you?  I think sometimes a new environment can cause a bit of an upset tummy so hopefully it will settle down.  A bland diet until he's done a normal poo sounds like a good idea.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:31 AM »
Well have just been woken by the little man running out from under the duvet and giving one loud meow before exploding poo all over the duvet and himself :( it was a lot of liquid poo!!! Poor little man. So Hes had a bath much to his dislike. He seems fine in himself. I think he may of had some of Bebes food....this could be the cause? I think he was still asleep when he pooed. Guessing chicken and rice for a day or two??

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2014, 21:41:39 PM »
Well Bebe is rather taken with little Bruno this evening. She is being very playful, chatting away and trying to get closer to him but Bruno is still hissing more often then not? Why is he doing that? You can tell Bebe isn't being threatening or aggressive....Just playful. Do you think it could be because Bruno is use to playing with kittens and not adult cats?

Offline MrsPurrfect

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: George, Milly and Ollie
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2014, 19:35:29 PM »
Okay, one more for today....

Awww :Luv:  That is one very relaxed kitty.  From what I have heard and read for a cat to look so happy and relaxed (he's practically smiling) they have to feel really secure and trust you.

You are sooooo getting there x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2014, 18:01:38 PM »
 :) :) :)  This is all sounding very encouraging.  Feeling a bit more relaxed?  :hug:

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2014, 17:38:14 PM »
:) well we had progress again. They have both eaten and Bebe was stretching out with her claws on the sofa and Bruno came flying in and jumped at the sofa and Bebe didnt hiss or swipe at him in a mean way, just playful. Then she ran and Bruno chased and then they hissed slightly. Now Bruno is following her around like a shadow.....yay
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 17:40:04 PM by NikNakNoo »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2014, 16:08:53 PM »

It took almost 3 weeks for Moray to stealthily wangle himself to touching distance with his new big Bruvver.   :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2014, 16:06:23 PM »
Bruno is a total sweetheart! It sounds as if things are actually going really well, we've had Cleo for nearly a year and she and Alfs don't get on that well yet!

If you remove 'sweetheart' and replace with cheeky monkey you'd have it spot on hehe :) they will quite happily sit near each other and groom and snooze so that's a good sign. Bruno is getting brave bcos now he will tap Bebe with this paw before getting hissed at :)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2014, 16:00:57 PM »
Bruno is a total sweetheart! It sounds as if things are actually going really well, we've had Cleo for nearly a year and she and Alfs don't get on that well yet!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2014, 13:46:44 PM »

That's a happy little cat.   :Luv:

Sending a gentle ear rub for Bebe too.   :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2014, 13:40:21 PM »
Okay, one more for today....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 13:42:23 PM by NikNakNoo »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2014, 13:38:39 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Such innocence......

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2014, 13:35:13 PM »
Another, sorry ..... Fast asleep  :Luv2: :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2014, 12:21:03 PM »

That little nose is just too cute.    :Luv:

Glad that Bebe is letting him run around and exhausting himself - he's much more likely to give her some peace then when he's snoozing.   ;)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
Because he already has my heart.... :)

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »
I think it's safe to say Bruno is most certainly a confident handful. He's literally spending the whole morning finding different things to Chuck himself off of. And then running around at a million miles an hour. Bebe is watching him from the comfort of her sofa laying in the sun wondering what all the excitement is about :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2014, 11:02:46 AM »
Good for Bebe!  :evillaugh:

Mosi was the same in that he was the most dominant one in his litter and I was warned he might turn out to be a bit of a handful!

I would just let them sort it out, keeping an eye on them to make sure no-one gets hurt.  Mosi used to want to play and Jaffa was happy to chase him but being so  much bigger he always won of course and would pin Mosi to the ground.  He never physically hurt him though - he was just asserting his position as boss cat so I let him (ok, I actively encouraged him!  :naughty:). 

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »

That's fine - she's just trying to teach him some respect for his elder.   He can take a bit of rough and tumble.

Oh okay, that's good. I don't want either of them getting hurt. Give me two grumpy dogs any day. I understand that haha but cats, they are a whole other ball game...but it's all learning :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »

That's fine - she's just trying to teach him some respect for his elder.   He can take a bit of rough and tumble.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2014, 10:19:12 AM »
...spoke too soon. They literally touched noses but then Bebe hissed and hit Bruno on the face. No claws. Just a heavy whack.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »
Yes Bruno was he boss in his litter. He was the biggest and we saw him pushing his litter mates out of the way when he was a baby to get to the milk. He is such a confident little kitten, throws himself around everywhere, jumping, climbing...he isn't scared of much apart from the Hoover :)

We've had some progress again this morning. Bebe approached him but he hissed so we told him off. He then decided to approach here (see photos). She only hissed at him and carried on cleaning. They are now kind of following each other around but when noticing one or the other they hiss but then carry on. They clean near each other and fall asleep close to each other. I don't think there's much stress. They just need to stop acting all tough!! :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »

Spot on, Susanne.   :evillaugh: :hug: :hug: 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »
I think things sound very postive.  there are always moments in the first few days of introducing cats when you think "what the **** have I done?" (right, Sue?  ;) ).  If Bruno is hissing I think that is just kitten bravado.  He sounds like he was probably the bossy one in his litter  ;D and is trying to throw his, not so very great, weight around.  If he'd stayed with his  mum and siblings longer, they probably would have put him in his place.  It will be up to Bebe to do that or accept him as the more dominant cat which will require a change in the dynamics but it won't necessarily mean she is unhappy.  She may be happy to accept that.  Or she may assert her authority and tell him to stop trying to be a grown up cos he's only a teeny weeny kitten (albeit a very cute teeny weeny kitten  :Luv:).  If he over steps the mark you could try tapping him on the nose and saying no or hissing at him like his mum would do.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2014, 07:20:15 AM »
It's all sounding pretty good really - especially the snuggling under the duvet, with Bebeunphased  by his presence in the bedroom with you (I do enjoy little snuggles under the duvet with Moray sometimes, but I have to hold the bedclothes up to make a little "tent" and then my arm gets tired and goes to sleep  :evillaugh: so Moray scrambles out.)

Thoughts occur to me with regard to the litter tray.  Bruno may not want to share the tray with Bebe.  The ratio of trays to cats is generally one tray plus one for each cat, but I appreciate that not everyone has room for that amount of litter trays!

We only have the one tray between the two boys, but then there's only really Moray who still occasionally uses his tray, because they both seem to prefer going outside now.   Tinks has nver used the tray. 

Bruno may not like the design of the tray if it's higher or lower, larger or smaller than he's used to, or he may not like the type of litter you have if its different to what he's used to.

It's good that he knows where to find the tray, and clearly he's being very instinctual in that respect.  I'd keep an eye on him, and repeat what you did this time and see if that helps.

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2014, 07:15:21 AM »
Hard work being cute and having breakfast......

Offline NikNakNoo

• Senior Cat
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2014, 07:07:19 AM »
No not tonight. Bruno slept under the duvet with me and Bebe slept in her bed next to our bed as normal. Bruno does seem confused about using the litter tray. He meows so I take him to the tray and he goes but earlier he walked into the bathroom, walked straight pass the tray and found a corner and started pawing like they do in the tray so I picked him up and popped him in the tray and he weed.

This morning they have been very close together but Bebe hissed and Bruno ran away ....but Bebe seems interested in sniffing the little intruder. Bruno wants to play as well. Its like they both want to be friends but feel they must go through putting on a show just for a little while. Silly cats :) Bruno is now back under the duvet asleep while Bebe is eating breakfast in peace

Link to CatChat