Author Topic: MIKEYS RESCUE & WHEELCHAIR FUND  (Read 75465 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: MIKEYS WHEELCHAIR FUND
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2010, 04:19:08 AM »
Anyone who is still resisting the videos HAS to watch 'Mikey's night time playtime', it has to be a candidate for cutest cat video of all time! You cannot see any of Mikey's back end at all so there really is nothing to make you do anything other than smile.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/heath380#p/u/20/_uuvhnWfWXM

Edited to add: posted the above at 4am with insomnia on full blast ....  :-[ You can see Mikey's back end a little bit, but not at all from minute five onwards which is the part I meant. Many apologies.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:48:00 AM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2010, 22:04:13 PM »
That picture is fantastic, a real cheeky boy  ;D

Yes I agree Heather, so hard to get a home for cats like Mikey and it has to be just purrrrrfect too  ;D

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2010, 10:26:47 AM »
i would have him in a heatbeat, but we do not have the right home for him and have 4 cats already!...there must be someone out there.....i do like the idea of a cat sitter or creche! lol...he seems so happy with you! perhaps put ou a plea for the little guy get volunteers to look after him during the day? maybe im clutching at straws, but you have done such an amazin job with him so far.....could you honestly bear to part with him>????
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »

I love the fact he's mischievous too.   :evillaugh:  (Poor George, though.  :doh:)

I hesitate to suggest it, but I wonder if it would be possible to approach your local tv station to do al ittle piece on Mikey?  I know you'd vet any potential owner within an inch of their life (because the danger with doing something like that is you often get a lot of unsuitable prospective owners amongst the suitable ones) but not sure if you think this would be a viable option?  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2010, 23:52:30 PM »
Just look at that gorgeous little face in that pic  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Yep, I've got taste Mikey, I love you to death. Just wish I was the person to look after you but like most people I don't have the confidence to handle you with care.  I'm sure that special person will come along.

Heather, what you playing at?  he wants the pidgeon NOT The feather  :evillaugh: :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #254 on: July 21, 2010, 23:26:55 PM »
Hi All, Haven't been around for a while as I am just so busy at work, got a few home 'issues' and rspca stuff to do so its been manic lately.....just caught up with the Russian cat thread and thank you Gill for Mikeys mention.....even in the UK it is incredibly difficult to find a home for a disabled cat.....I haven't had one enquiry about Mikey and he is a pretty well publicised cat!lol (When people thought I may have him pts then I did have a couple of rescues willing to take him but its really a proper home he needs).

The Russian cat looks lovely though...and if a fund is set up to bring him to the Uk I would of course contribute. I would also have my reservations about the stress of such a journey (any of my normal cats would completely freak out and it would appear that it would bother him even more) but you can tell the lady that found him cares deeply and would only send him if the vets felt he would cope with it all....

Mikey is still doing fine though...and is his normal chipper self! I still feel very guilty about the amount of time I have to leave him on his own though now I am much busier at work, but I do try and give him as much time as I can in the evening....and most evenings we do get chance for a cuddle on the sofa which he loves as you saw from the last pics :hug: I start a new job in September though which will mean my hours will be even worse so it would be lovely if the right home came forward for him before then. If not what I need is a cat creche! I was thinking about this the other day....I need someone local to me that I could drop him off at in the morning and pick him up at night on my way home...just like you do with kids  :rofl:...that would solve all my problems knowing he had company all day.

I found a big pigeon feather in the carpark at work yesterday so I bought it home and gave it to Mikey at bedtime.....he LOVED it!! I was watching him on the monitor (from the kitchen) tossing  it up in the air and having a really lovely time with it. Its just finding him things that are a bit different from his usual toys to keep him entertained when I'm not around.

I am also observing him more and more with other cats....I take Joey out on a harness now and if I take him up to Mikeys run they will have a sniff through the bars and a little bat of the paws....and Mikey does chirp at him and I think...hmmmm, maybe he would be ok with other cats....then he'll spot one of mine and he'll slink to the floor with his ears flat and stalk them. The other day he then rushed at George (my tabby boy) who was sat by the makeshift fencing and gave him a right wallop over the head! Poor old George didn't know what hit him!! So one minute he's fine the next naughty. I do think he really only wants to play but if he went to a home with other cats someone would have to be very experienced with introductions and very patient I think with the whole process!!

Anyway..bedtime for me.....once again thanks for all your lovely comments.....Mary I especially like the 'who needs George Clooney' one  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I told Mikey and he just smiled up at me as if to say 'that womans got taste!'  :rofl:

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2010, 21:39:44 PM »
I have only just ventured into this thread as i knew i would be upset by it....how cruel can people be?.....this lad is amazing.....but it looks so wrong....I hope that the wheelchair offers him so more quality to his life. bless you for taking care of him , he is incredible and so are you!
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2010, 21:19:09 PM »
Oh Heather your last post made me cry again!! :thanks: I don't know if cats feel happiness in the exact same way that we do, but it's a pretty good description of the mix of feeling safe/ contented/ playful/ attention seeking (even when not hungry) that they definitely do display with their chosen human(s). Mikey is either pretty 'happy' with his situation or he is a great actor!  :Luv:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #251 on: July 16, 2010, 16:10:37 PM »
oh mikey  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:30 AM »
Me too Sue!  He is gorgeous, loves his fuss and plays with his toys on his own!   :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2010, 07:12:33 AM »

Nothing stops Mikey, does it?   ;D

I have to say, Joey's beautifully marked.  Very Handsome.  Hope he can find his forever home really soon.  :Luv:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2010, 06:16:25 AM »
LOL Mary!   :evillaugh:

I went again yesterday-he amazed me by pulling himself up the steps of his cat tree and having a snooze, not surprising really as he ate almost a whole pouch of food for his dinner   :wow:

Heather also still has Joey, who is SO cute-can't believe he hasn't been snapped up yet!       :Luv2:   (He's on the 2nd pic!)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #247 on: July 15, 2010, 00:42:52 AM »
Mikey well captured on film once again - who needs George Clooney etc. when Mikey's around?  :hug: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2010, 18:23:38 PM »
I so the frirst lot of inactivity from CC yesterday  :rofl: :rofl:

The second one is lovely and he fair wears himself out doesnnt he  ;D

Whatt a great home he has with Heather, all the cat mod cons he needs  ;D

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »
I went to Heather's yesterday cos she'd got a long day at work and was worried about leaving her boys for so long-awww! Same again tomorrow! I took a video but the little s*d stopped moving as soon as i got the camera out, lol! He did co-operate after a while! I also found one i'd taken  a few weeks ago but it wouldn't upload at the time! It's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-wrU_rkjeU   this is yesterday's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWuzKfM33fE   a few weeks ago-please ignore my feet and swollen ankles, lol!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:49:49 AM by Shirley »

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #244 on: July 11, 2010, 17:50:53 PM »
Mikey has the most scrummy - snogable face ever  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: xxxxxxxxxxx  :Luv2: :Luv2:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2010, 16:21:18 PM »
Mikey is such a wonderful and brave boy -its obvious he is enjoying his life to the most of his ability .
One of the most courageous cats i have ever seen  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2010, 16:12:09 PM »
I have to confess to Mikey moving me to tears every time I see his pic or a video, firstly because the human race inflicted his condition on him and secondly because he is such a delightful happy little soul

Heather - Is it worth contacting the surgery where Noel Fitzpatrick works? A well worded introduction and explanation of his injuries/condition, perhaps along with a video?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »
I agree with Sue - if Mikey hadn't wanted this chance, he'd have made it quite clear. Cats very rarely do something they aren't happy about. Mikey looks so happy and loved, well done Heather! :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #240 on: July 11, 2010, 07:23:13 AM »

Heather, I think the pictures speak for themselves - you have helped a courageous little fellow to enjoy an excellent quality of life - had he not been up to it, or not wanted it, then (being a cat) he wouldn't have grasped the opportunity with both paws.  You had the foresight to reailse what Mikey needed (and wanted) and to give it to him by the bucketload.  I'm certain that someone out there would be able to give Mikey full time care too, but maybe they just don't know about him yet.  Here's hoping they will, and will be able to emulate what you're doing for him.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2010, 01:35:44 AM »
Wonderful pics, he looks so happy  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2010, 00:12:20 AM »
No longer a filthy little chap and you've coped marvellously Heather - you should be so proud of the little chap and especially as he won Purrs Cat Show - I hope you've framed his award and put it in his enclosure in the garden??  :rofl: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Lovely pics of contentment  :hug: :hug:

Mary

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2010, 23:56:58 PM »
Had so little time lately that I've only just caught up with this thread again.....I too watched the bionic vet and Oscar was amazing.....I cried my eyes out the first time he got his little 'cork' feet and went running off and climbing into all the places he shouldn't have gone.....and the surgeon was just SOOOO lovely with him that made me cry too  :'( :'( :'(

If only I could find a little miracle like that for Mikey :(

Shirley thank you for your kind comments....I generally try and post postively on the forums but it has been hard at times (and still is!lol) juggling time and still trying to give Mikey a good quality of life and comapnionship, but you have seen me and yes at times I get very tired......

BUT...Mikey is Mikey and we have such a special bond that I could never contemplate not keeping him alive. I do fully understand people not wanting to watch the videos......although as Mary says, I think the ones of him on his harness running around like a normal cat are just so heartwarming, not upsetting at all.....

The first time I saw him was in the vets.....he had been in there for 5 weeks and no one was making the decision on whether he should be pts or kept alive and given more time. I asked to see him and was taken through to the back where they popped him onto the floor and he just sat there with his little back legs poking straight out between his front ones and he started to shuffle about having a good old sniff at the other animals in the cages. I rather embarassingly cried my eyes out in front of the nurses...and at that point I thought how could we have kept this poor little boy alive! I went home and cried my eyes out some more at the thought of him being kept in the vets pen...messing on himself and not being able to move away from it....and thought if  we do make the decision to pts then how awful that he'd end his days having been cooped up for weeks at the vets. So I decided to go and get him out of there!I just felt that even if I only kept him for a week or two and the decision was made to pts then at least his last memories would have been looking out of the pen at the grass and the sky and smelling the fresh air...and having lots of cuddle and playtime.

I'll never forget the day I collected him. It was a sunday morning and when I got him home he was filthy as they hadn't had time to clean him up.....and I can also remember thinking 'oh my god Heather what have you gone and done...how are you ever going to cope????!!!' Hence my thread started on cat chat as I was just desperate to know how I was going to manage and was after any advice I could get.......but the rest is history! He himself showed such a fighting spirit and a will to live that I just felt I owed it to him not to give up on him.....and slowly between the two of us we have figured out a way forward that hopefully gives him a good quality of life.....he's certainly happy, healthy (and clean!) and for as long as he is I shan't give up on him and will continue to do as much as I can for him including trying to find him a proper home.

The only thing I feel guilty about is not being able to give him as much time as he deserves....he's actually pretty easy to look after now.....but its finding the time to give him as much company as he wants....and the time to get him on his harness running in the garden. I make sure I do several things with him every day, but he really needs someone who can do these things with him not just once every day but several times really....and just be there with him as he loves having company......as you can see from the pics :-)

Don't get me wrong.....I don't like to see him dragging his legs...but somehow he's got such a big personality that when you meet him people see beyond the disabilty (just like we do with humans!). I watch him sometimes from the upstairs window and I see him lounging on the scratching platforms in his outdour pen....lying in his hammock having a good ol' wash....chasing the flies and midges.....laying in the shade under the bushes.....and at all those times he is exactly the same as a normal cat.....its only when he's moving between doing those things that he's different......but he can still do it on his own.....so he has his independance...he just does it different to the norm!lol

Here's some pics taken tonight of him having a cuddle with me on the sofa......I think you would say he's a happy contented little boy :hug: :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #236 on: June 26, 2010, 00:22:16 AM »
OMG - Oscar the bionic cat - he's amazing  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mary

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2010, 23:06:03 PM »
Thats brilliant  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2010, 15:44:41 PM »
one of the guys at work st me the link for the bionic cat - he is  :Luv: :Luv:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10404251.stm

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2010, 15:23:17 PM »
Oddly enough, my OH wouldn't watch Mikey's video for the same reason, which is a shame because Mikey is so clearly happy and isn't letting his disability inconvenience him at all.

BBC One are running a series at the end of this month called "The Bionic Vet" - one of the subjects featured is a cat who lost his back legs after a run in with a combine harvester.   Obviously not quite the same injury as Mikey, but the point is that cats are cleverer than we often give credit for - and considering we all know how clever cats are, that's saying something.  :)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #232 on: June 25, 2010, 06:58:42 AM »
Gail, as you may know, i've seen Mikey lots of times 'in the flesh' The first time i went, i was dreading it, but Heather was SO desperate in the early days, i HAD to go to offer my support! I had a bag full of tissues ready-but i never cried and haven't since! It IS upsetting to see him dragging his legs but he's SUCH a happy little boy it doesn't seem to bother him at all. Obviously this isn't the best way for a cat to be living but, Heather has done brilliantly with him and would love him to be rehomed somewhere where he has a lot more company, which he loves, and live in the home.
For her sake, i'm praying that special person comes along soon-though i know she'll be really upset to see him go-but she looks so tired sometimes, as her life seems to revolve around him. She has 4 cats of her own, another foster cat and a very demanding, full-time job! I don't know how she does it!  (Sorry Heather, hope you don't mind me saying that!) If anyone deserves a medal for perseverance, she does!
I must admit i was the first to say he should've been pts at the start and again when he'd seen the specialist and she was told there was no hope, but that wasn't an option for her! She is an amazing lady!   :hug:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:00:39 AM by Shirley »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2010, 23:36:58 PM »
Gali I was the same the first time I saw him walking I cried but in the video below he is running around after a toy and he's going faster than a greyhound - it's not sad at all, it shows how well he can cope.  :Luv2: Please watch it. :hug:

Mary
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 23:39:56 PM by maryas »

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #230 on: June 24, 2010, 19:01:48 PM »
He's such a lovely lad - but I just cant watch his video, it would kill me, seeing him, not being about to walk. But he looks such a happy munchkin and a very nawty one too climbing on your chairs and loosing his bum pad  :rofl: cheeky little man xxx

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2010, 23:44:13 PM »
Both clips are fantastic Heather - he is so sweet and healthy and playful - you've really brought him back to life.  :Luv2: :hug:

Love how you sent him to sleep in the 2nd clip  :Luv2: :rofl:

Mary

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2010, 18:44:18 PM »
Here's a quick video of Mikey having playtime outside on his harness.....as you can see he's a happy little chappie :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85TO-ebcaE

And a few pics and a video from the last few days when he's been with me in the conservatory snuggled up with me on the sofa having a sleep :Luv: :Luv:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opYpjZv37Wg
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 18:47:32 PM by heath380 »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2010, 00:10:35 AM »
Oh that video made me cry buckets!  :-[ Tugs at the heart to see his back end dragging, yet so lovely to see him with such an interest in everything.  :hug:
Lulu's Catbook

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2010, 10:54:59 AM »
I think Mikey is somewhat inspirational. I love his intent face when he's playing. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2010, 07:10:47 AM »

I'm with you on that one Mark  :evillaugh:  He really is a happy little cat bless him  :Luv:

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2010, 12:55:15 PM »
LOL maryas.....I wouldn't put anything past him!  :-: :-:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2010, 23:28:53 PM »
Climbing up on the chair  :wow: :wow: :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

He'll be doing circus tricks next  :rofl:

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2010, 22:35:19 PM »
He really does seem so happy  :) (I would be told off by my behaviour lecturer for using that word, but  :P to her  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2010, 22:24:00 PM »
I just love Mikey, He looked like he was having loads of fun investigating, fab idea with the nappy
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2010, 21:59:24 PM »
Hi All.....sorry I've been absent for a while....I've been mega busy at work again and then most of the time when I'm home I'm with Mikey or my other foster cat....but here's a little update from last week when I was off....

he had a day of doing two new things.....firstly I decided to let him out of his run into his 'safe' area on his own to shuffle about without the harness on. I blocked it off so that he couldnt get down the side of the shed where it would be very rough on his undercarriage...I just thought it would be nice for him to be able to do what he wanted for a while without the feeling of any confinment...and he did seem to enjoy himself as you can see from the pictures below  :)

His other 1st  was he came into the house! Well...the conservatory...my cats would have a problem with him being in the main house but it was lovely to be able to sit and watch a bit of telly knowing he was still getting some company! So...I bought some 'huggies' and cut a tail hole and then we were away! He got on really well as the wooden floor was really easy for him to slide over and because there was no 'drag' the nappy stayed put!! So he had a good hour in there just zooming around and stopping for the occasional sprawl and wash and brush up! I of course captured this historic moment for you all on video :-)
I then suddenly thought 'hang on its all gone very quiet where is he??' I got up and walked around but couldn't see him and thought he must be under the sofa....which I went and sat back down on...only to then spot him under the dining table on top of the dining chairs!!I tell you...there's no stopping him! there he was stretched out as happy as larry, and I thought 'Oh thats lovely' until I spotted the nappy on the floor(which hadn't survived what must have been an almighty big heave ho to get onto the chair)and then I thought 'EEkkk!! My lovely cream (and expensive) dining chairs!!!'  :rofl: :rofl:

Needless to say he was scooped up pretty quick and in the absence of letting me put the nappy back on he was unfortunately deposited back to his pen.....still it was a good first outing, and proved that there is hope that he could live in a house with wooden flooring quite comfortably :-) x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsSV29MnVzw

Link to CatChat