Author Topic: MIKEYS RESCUE & WHEELCHAIR FUND  (Read 75848 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: MIKEYS WHEELCHAIR FUND
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2010, 20:21:56 PM »
Any updates on Wonderboy?  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2010, 22:42:45 PM »
Mikey sure is MR Sunshine  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Heather you could foster a goat to eat the grass  :naughty: ;) :hug: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
Truely wonderful. Hugs to Mikey  :hug:
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »
Wonderful pictures of a wonderful boy! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
Bless him, he looks so excited in his new run, and those pics where he's just chilling out on his grass, just gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Such a lucky boy  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2010, 11:05:54 AM »
LOL Yep you are right the grass has grown and therefore it looks as though there is more....although I am contemplating doing one more tray as it would just fit in the space nicely (and he obviously enjoys having his own little grassy area!)

Hmmm....I had thought about the lawn mower problem and figured I may just have to give it a trim with the scissors!lol

I'm passed caring that the neighbours may think I'm completely bonkers..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
 have just got to see read and see this thread.That's so heart warming to see mickey in his run. And looking a happy cat.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #212 on: June 05, 2010, 07:45:56 AM »
He's that rare commodity, a truly happy cat in spite of his difficulties.     :)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #211 on: June 05, 2010, 07:23:37 AM »
He looks SO grown up and comfy!  Gorgeous!  :Luv2: :Luv2: The grass has definately grown since Tues , Heather, tho don't quite know how you'll get the lawn mower on it!!   :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #210 on: June 05, 2010, 02:09:58 AM »
he is great  ;D

is it my imagination or is there now more grass lol

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2010, 23:19:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. :hug:
Its been such a lovely day today that I thought I'd post some pics of Mikey enjoying his run....my little grass trays are a hit with him as you can see ;-)

He didn't even notice the cat walking by his pen - which is soooooo unusual as normally he's at them like a shot!  :rofl:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2010, 00:41:30 AM »
Those videos are so heartwarming -made me cry because he is such a brave and happy chappy  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
He can get around fast though -he is amazing .

So glad he has his pen and all the things he needs - such a deserving boy - he is just  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2010, 23:05:57 PM »
Ditto whats been said, he looks so happy  :Luv:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2010, 22:42:53 PM »
I have been catching up on lots of stories on a purrs and this one is amazing :)

Mikey is so lucky to have you Heather, his pen looks just fab and he looks sooooooo happy in it.  Its so good to see a special needs cat having a wonderful life.

Big hugs and kisses fo Mikey xoxo
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #205 on: May 31, 2010, 13:19:02 PM »
What a boy  :Luv:

What a lucky boy too  :hug:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #204 on: May 31, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
That's fantastic, definitely brought tears to my eyes  :Luv2: :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #203 on: May 31, 2010, 10:39:58 AM »
I think Mikey is the bomb. :Luv: He always looks so happy....well done, Heather for helping him. :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #202 on: May 31, 2010, 07:07:40 AM »
 :evillaugh:   Oh Heather - what delightful footage.   ;D    He looks like a kid at Christmas checking out his new run.   :)  It's all very exciting, you know!  :wow:

Loved it when he was "hiding" and "stalking"  :Luv:  What a fantastic little soul he is.  And you too for giving him a second chance.  :cuddle:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2010, 23:32:33 PM »
Fantastic videos.  I am sure Mikey's first impression was ................ :wow: :wow: is this all for me? it's fantastic - I'm staying here forever  :Luv2: :Luv2:

I liked his first visitor to his new place  :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2010, 21:06:33 PM »
Well folks what a day! I haven't stopped from the minute I got up. I sorted out Lucy (new foster cat) and Mikey, fed my own then got myself sorted (we always come last with cats don't we??!!lol). The people came to look at Lucy...which was great because they'd been homechecked and they loved her...so off she went to her new home.Then I quickly had to sort out the outdoor section of her pen to pop Mikey in whilst his run was being built...then it was a quick bit of gardening to sort out Mikeys grass (I bought two big trays and filled them with compost then bought turf which I cut to size....so that he has a nice cool grassy area to sit on in his pen :-)) then I planted his lavender and catnip...so he's got nice things in there to sniff....then the run (feel like I should call it a 'shuffle' for Mikey lol)turned up.....then I put all the things in it for him and let him enjoy it (which you will see in the video)....then jumped in the car to go to Denises to sort out his harness....then back to feed the cats....then the OH.....then finally uploaded the vids for you all to see!
HE IS LOVING IT!!!
There are still things I want to do...tomorrow I want to get some decking squares to get him off the concrete and I need to fix him a little ramp to get in and out easier (although tbh he's managed it fine today) but I don't really want him dragging himself up there all the time....so still things to do but take a look and see for yourself :-)
Mikey says a big thank you to you all for making it possible for him to have such a lovely outdoor space! I have been watching him on and off and he has had a lovely time....he's been on the decking enjoying the early evening sun...he's been in his little house with his head and paws sticking out sniffing the air...and he's been playing with his toys....but the bit he really loves is being able to decide for himself whether he want to be in or out. This run really will change his little life for the better, and we are so grateful.
So...just his supper and cuddle time to sort out now....then a BIG cup of tea and BED....can't wait...I'm knacked LOL....but I have one very happy little boy :-D
Anyway...take a look..its very exciting!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvHYV2pwO3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GRIu25Z_GA

Just so everybody is aware I have used some of the funds raised to buy the pen but my branch has also put £100 towards it so not all of it has come out of Mikeys Piggy Bank.....(all the extras I have done to go in it though I have paid for myself as I don't want to use the funds for 'incidenatals')

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2010, 18:07:46 PM »
Aaaw Heather - what's a little wee between friends?  :evillaugh: :naughty: :rofl: :Luv2: :hug:

So glad he's getting your cuddles. If Ilived near you he would be getting mine too - those pics are great - he has such a gorgeous face and he poses really well.

Mary  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
Mikey's tail flicking sounds good  :)

Hopefully his wheels will get sorted soon. I am racking my brain about some extra strong velcro I saw. It is a 3M product. I have a feeling it was Wilkinsons I saw it in. I will have a look.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2010, 23:46:44 PM »
This tail movement sounds very good, I do hope its a great sign  :wish: :wish: :wish:

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2010, 23:26:58 PM »
Here's some pics of me and Mikey (in his cuddle pants) lol. I call them that because they are actually a pair of really soft 'shortie type' knickers which I put a santitary towel in and just knot them at the back.....it means then that I can pick him up and have him on my knee for a proper cuddle...which as you can see he loves (and I don't get wee'd on :-) ). It was my idea for him being able to go into a house but unfortunately they too drag off if he is on the floor :-(. Still, they work fine for a cuddle so they serve a purpose in some way.  :shocked:
I have been meaning to say that I am seeing much more movement in his tail lately! Its flicking quite a lot and what is REALLY interesting is when he is in his support harness and he wee's his tail actually lifts off the ground and is level with his body! His tail has shown no movement at all in all the weeks I've had him up until the last two! It still may be 'reflex' but if it is its 'reflex' that he wasn't getting before! I am wondering if its as a result of the last MRT therapy session he had, as it all kind of ties in?
The only problem with him lifting his tail if he wee's in the harness is it shoots straight out the back.....and yep....guess who's always behind him :-(....my shoes are getting a soaking, and if I'm not careful also the leg of my jeans...yuk!lol  >:(

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2010, 21:28:36 PM »
Good luck with the run. Mikey one special boy and will get there eventually

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2010, 21:22:14 PM »
Hmmmm.... a cat eating tuna with it's legs  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sure you'll get ther in the end with his equipment  :Luv2: :rofl:

He's a little surviver and that's all that matters really.  :hug:

Hope the weather stays decent to getthe run up. It's been raining most of the day here and then foggy. Typical Bank Holiday Weekend Weather I suppose!

Mary

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2010, 20:18:03 PM »
Well Mikey had a kind of 'fitting' in his homemade cart (I took him a bowl of tuna which he ate with his legs hooked over his cart!lol) which made be realise 'his bum looked big in this' (lol)and we need to widen the back section by about 2 inches so need to go and get some more supplies from Wickes...and the side sections which should come to his shoulder stuck out past his ears lol so need to shorten them by a few inches too.....still....we will get there! I'm popping to Denises tomorrow (who has a sewing machine) and is very kindly going to sew the velcro strips onto the harness for me which I hope will be firm enough to keep him joined to the cart (if not Ria's plan B may come into action!)....and then finally when we get it all correct, the OH is going to bond it all together for me (as at the moment the joints swivel so we need to make sure they stay firm)...so I do hope to try and have him in it by the end of the bank holiday weekend if possible :-). So watch this space!

Another News Flash!! Mikeys run is going up tomorrow!! Just hope the weather starts to improve so he can get out in it...he's fed up of being in his pen today...

I did put him in the harness and opened the door to see if he wanted to go out (despite the fact it was raining) and unfortunately he did :-( lol....so we both got wet but he enjoyed himself :-) x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
I`ve been there too, have you been recently Bunglycat? things may be different now
Not been there for about 4 years now.
Her husband died and a friend moved in to help with things.
They still took in cats then but  don't know if they still do.
They both must be almost 70 now.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2010, 08:57:42 AM »
I`ve been there too, have you been recently Bunglycat? things may be different now

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2010, 00:39:37 AM »
Thats the one Gill -i have been there many times in the past  -its about 1 hour from my house.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2010, 00:09:40 AM »
There is a phone number with loads of 2s in this link

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/popiOrgVenue.asp?oid=4968

I know there is another Ingleside too, near Barking.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2010, 23:59:02 PM »
1would try ringing them as not even sure if they are still a cat rescue -i knew the owners  for a while but lost touch a few years ago .
There should be a number on there that may work though - i can''t remember it but i think it had a lot of 2s in it !

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2010, 22:16:15 PM »
Mikey is a cat - will he ever do as he is told?........................ NO  ;) :rofl: :hug: :hug:

Hope the adjustments help him to get used to doing things he doesn't want to do  :hug: :hug:

Mary

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2010, 22:06:05 PM »
oh no it wasn't that one.... thanks I'll give it a try.....

This was the one I found but it bounced back.....ingleside@eidosnet.co.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2010, 21:35:50 PM »
Was this the one you tried, Heather:

sarah.hartwell@blueyonder.co.uk

Offline heath380

• Adult Cat
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2010, 21:25:27 PM »
Hi all....thanks Gill for posting the link.....saves me writing everything twice lol.

He's not really scared of his wheels just wont put all his legs in the right places to make them work! Its very frustrating as I know if he would just do as he is told he would be off like a rocket! I have spoken to the company though and I am sending it back and they're going to make some adjustments for me so fingers crossed it will be second time lucky  :)

Sue P - thanks for the info on Messy Beast.....I did send an email to them to see if they had any advice but it bounced back....although I did struggle to find an email address so the one I did find may not be current.....I will look again but if anyone knows it could they pm me with it?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2010, 21:13:16 PM »
Is he scared of them? Bless him. I've been reading this thread and Mikey is such a little personality.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2010, 19:47:42 PM »
Here cos the link to the Mikey CC thread cos Heathers got some great ideas for trying to get Mikey mobile on wheels, current ones still not working cos Mikey doesnt like them,

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/200329.html?1274640268

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:36 AM »

Just a thought Heather - on Messy Beast there is a section about cats with disabilities, and they talk about cats in mobility carts, in particular one called Hector, who was a resident at the Ingleside Cat rescue who - as it turns out - have a listing on cat chat

I wonder if maybe anyone at Ingleside might be able to chat with you about it and have any advice they could offer?  I know it's been a while since Hector passed on, but may be worth a try?

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
Awww Pav, that's very sweet of you   :Luv2: :Luv2:   Hopefully i'll get to see him enjoying them in person soon......... :hug:

Link to CatChat