Author Topic: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau  (Read 143063 times)

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Re: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #558 on: November 24, 2015, 15:49:28 PM »
As my thread has been a bit miserable with all Chesters problems, and as hopefully things are finally on the up, i thought it was time for some photos.

I brought a blanket downstairs as the house was really cold the other night. Turned my back for 2 minutes and it had been pinched.

Obviously, I didn't move him  :Luv2:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #557 on: November 24, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »
Having shovelled more than normal this morning mine were grounded from 3pm yesterday congratulations on a solid poo its the little things that we get so exited over :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #556 on: November 24, 2015, 08:51:55 AM »
I know not everyone likes royal canin but yes I felt the same it was like a switch had been flipped

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #555 on: November 24, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »
First thing I said was "I need to get on purrs and tell them!"

:hug:  :hug:  :hug: for all of you and your support.

We had another decent poo this morning, not as big as last night & a bit thin but still an actual poo  :wow: This food is a like a miracle food! And they both go nuts for it  :wow:
OH has him back at the vet this afternoon so hopefully we'll get further reassurance from that. Now we just need to figure out what's causing this. But for now this feels like massive progress, I feel like a weight has been lifted!

They really are a pair of  :censored: monsters though. I left them in the kitchen while I showered this morning. Was halfway through showering and heard an almighty crash.

They'd knocked an enormous wok I'd left out off the cooker onto the floor  :oh noo: Thing weighs a ton, god only knows how they shifted it. Thank God it didn't land on one of them.
They had also knocked all the dry food over my counters and the floor. Beau was systematically knocking all my fridge magnets off and Chester was busy shredding a roll of kitchen towel when I arrived dripping wet with shampoo in my hair  :rofl:

Guess they've learned how to get on the kitchen counters then  :tired:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #554 on: November 24, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
oh Nic that is wonderful - the power of royal canin!!!!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #553 on: November 24, 2015, 05:47:32 AM »
We have a solid poo!!!! :yayyy: :yayyy:

A big fat log, I cried & Andy & I did a small jig round the kitchen.

Oh please let this be us turning a corner and not a one off!!

Poo prayers can be very powerful.  So pleased!    ;D. Keep this up, Chester. 

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #552 on: November 24, 2015, 02:21:06 AM »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay,  keep going Chester!!   ;D ;D ;D
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #551 on: November 23, 2015, 23:56:57 PM »
OMG thats great and do hope he is turning the corner  ;D ;D

• Hero Cat
« Reply #550 on: November 23, 2015, 23:10:30 PM »
We have a solid poo!!!! :yayyy: :yayyy:

A big fat log, I cried & Andy & I did a small jig round the kitchen.

Oh please let this be us turning a corner and not a one off!!

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #549 on: November 23, 2015, 23:09:05 PM »
Your head must be buzzing between all the wealth of experience on here and your internet reading too.

Hope things are indeed looking up for you and young Chester.

I've sent you a wee PM.

I think some medicinal liquid therapy may be required!
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

• Hero Cat
« Reply #548 on: November 23, 2015, 19:52:16 PM »
He's just woke up from a nap and demanded dinner. I can't tell you how good it is to see him with an appetite  :Luv:

He's had a quarter pouch of the RC food with his meds in it. Now we wait.....

Here's to celebrating firm poos with lots of bubbly.   :)
Poo Chester, poo. Solid if you please, make your meowmy smile  :hug:

You two  :hug: You actually made me smile with those comments

Gill, thank you, I'll keep a note of that in case this one doesn't help

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #547 on: November 23, 2015, 19:39:54 PM »
Wow this sounds very promising  ;D ;D

Come on Chester make your meowmy smile  :hug: :hug:

The one my vet gave Lupin is this

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Protexin-Synbiotic-DC-Capsules-pack-of-50/productinfo/PROSYNB/

I know I have the remains somewhere but cant find.

They now say its for dogs but it used to say for cats and dogs and it was briiliant. Think it was half a capsule a day.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #546 on: November 23, 2015, 18:20:02 PM »
I wouldn't tell the vet that you succumbed to the begging, but you should let them know what's happened, and let Chester take the blame!
They'll probably say that 8 hours was enough, but it's best to be sure.
The fact that Chester's got his appetite back is reassuring though.

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #545 on: November 23, 2015, 18:16:15 PM »

Poo Chester, poo. Solid if you please, make your meowmy smile  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #544 on: November 23, 2015, 18:10:21 PM »
Here's to celebrating firm poos with lots of bubbly.   :)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #543 on: November 23, 2015, 18:08:48 PM »
Thank you so much everyone. I can't tell you how much all this support and kindness means to me. I had a lump in my throat reading some of your posts.

And hearing from other people who've came through similar things and that the food has worked really gives me hope. Gill, we've been given capsules of pro biotic too, sounds like what you had, it's called peridale?

TF and toxiplasmosis are definitely on the list, I'd specifically said I wanted TF tested for as it just fits his symptoms. This has got to be the first time I've ever wanted a test at the vets to come back positive!

So, Metacam and Anibiotic definitely seem to have made him feel better. I came home and the first thing he did was seriously beg for food! He hasn't done that in about a week.
It took all my willpower to resist.

Unfortunately the plan to fast him has been foiled, I've managed 8 hours, but they were running around playing, then they both went very quiet in the kitchen....I investigated...only to find them both on the worktop, chowing down on a dish of applaws dry that I'd moved out of the way. They've never been on the worktops (as far as I know  :shify: )
I didn't even think they could get up there!!!  :-:

I took it away.
They then commenced what can only be described as a serious guilt trip, including Chester wailing for food while dancing on his back legs.
Gave in and gave him the GI food and he ate more than half the pack.
That is the most he's eaten in days and the first he's eaten voluntarily. So despite the fact we didn't keep him food free for 12 hours, i'm hoping thats a positive sign.

He hasn't pooped yet since first thing, so that's good too i think, yesterday he was in the tray 4 times in an hour.

I swear, the day my wee man does a solid poo, I'm buying everyone champagne. For now I'd be happy to see even the slightest improvement.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #542 on: November 23, 2015, 17:56:47 PM »
RC and think it was also GI sorted out Lupin along with a probiotic in a capsule that you opened and put in his food, it was tasteless and smelless and he didnt notice it.

It was far better than any other probiotic and can get the name if you want and was prescribd by the vet.

It took what seemed ages for him to get better but apart from his tail end and eating he was fine.

Sending more  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #541 on: November 23, 2015, 17:29:59 PM »
You poor love, you must be frantic with worry! I am sending lots of healing vibes for your lovely boy  :hug:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #540 on: November 23, 2015, 16:31:34 PM »
I'm sending lots of healing thoughts that it's something really easy to fix and our little chap will be right as rain very soon.   :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #539 on: November 23, 2015, 14:51:55 PM »

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #538 on: November 23, 2015, 14:05:52 PM »
also T foetus, although imagine that is on the list anyway as he has all the classic signs

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #537 on: November 23, 2015, 14:01:43 PM »
Get them to chuck in a test for Toxoplasmosis as it shows a lot of similar signs to FIP but is not usually test for and some of the symptoms are similar especially the runny bum

I have been through the FIP and Toxo routes so am around if you need to chat offline x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #536 on: November 23, 2015, 13:53:53 PM »
we did have to withdraw food for tilly, and then try her on boiled rice and chicken, but as you know it was the rc food that sorted her in the end

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #535 on: November 23, 2015, 13:50:20 PM »
Certainly either in one of links or others I had read they say first is to withdraw food and sounds like your vet is really on the case.

I hope its only an allegy but its so hard often to find out what to and think you started off with no grain food?

I can just imagine how bad you are feeling  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #534 on: November 23, 2015, 13:38:31 PM »
 :hug: at least he isn't showing signs of being poorly, that has to be encouraging it could easily be an allergy or like for tilly nothing in particular and with the right treatment is went away I'd leave off worrying about the heavy stuff until you have to

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #533 on: November 23, 2015, 13:35:03 PM »
    My poor boy, I love him so bloody much, it's killing me to not be able to help him  :(       

We know.  We're behind you 100%  :hug: :hug:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #532 on: November 23, 2015, 13:30:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info Gill, I'll have a look. I've held off posting in the health thread yet because I've spent all my time googling and reading up and to be honest, I'd got a bit overwhelmed with it all.

The tests include absolutely everything they can test for which is why it takes a week. My vet called the lab and spoke to them personally to make sure and we're testing for lots more than the standard screen does, I paid extra to get everything checked for. Apparently results could come in sooner but are likely to come back bit by bit as they do each test for different things.

The no food for 12 hours seems awful and I hate the thought of it, but having seen how every morsel we give him just shoots through him, I honestly don't see what harm it will do at this stage. We dedicated the entire weekend to getting every bit of food into him that we could, it's not helping and he's still losing weight. My hope is that this will give him an appetite for the RC GI food, as the one feed of that he took definitely seemed to make a slight difference.

The vet said his bowel is so swollen that he must be in pain with it and giving it a break might help with the swelling, which might help with the diarrhoea. Right now it's so inflamed, there's no chance of a proper bowel movement.

He's had treament for giardia already as that was the first thing the vet suspected. But if it's still there, the tests will show it up.

No bloods yet, my vet said that the majority of things it could be will show up in the feacal tests and that some of the others are unlikely to show up in bloods at his age. I went in determined to get bloods but I trust his judgement on this one. If the results start coming back clear, he'll do a full blood panel. if (god forbid) he gets any worse, I'll get it done immediately.

FIP is my big fear Gill, I'm worried sick about it being something thats fatal, my only hope is that he's still really acvtive, if it weren't for the litter tray and him being so skinny, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him.

I've also noticed him scratching round his neck and ears more over the weekend, which I know can be a sign of an allergy. My vet said there's a chance it could be something as simple as an incredibly sensitive stomach or food allergies.

I just wish the results would come in quicker, but today, the focus will be getting the food and the new meds into him tonight and hoping, hoping, hoping, that I see even a tiny improvement.

My poor boy, I love him so bloody much, it's killing me to not be able to help him  :(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #531 on: November 23, 2015, 13:13:37 PM »
poor baby.  I hope the test results show what the problem is and that it's easily sorted.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #530 on: November 23, 2015, 12:27:10 PM »
Think it may be an idea to post in health thread Nicola.

Here is a link to IBD in that thread and some useful info

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,44302.0.html

Also two links on it from elsewhere..................cant get anything from UK the States seems to give much better info

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=304

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/brochure_ibd.cfm

Alisons mention of gardia is also mentioned in the purrs link , does the test include for this? If not maybe worthwhile ring the vet immediately to get them to test for this too.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #529 on: November 23, 2015, 12:22:42 PM »
I wouldn't starve a kitten for 12 hours personally and would try anything to get him to eat I always feel a calorie is a calorie, doesn't sound like FIP having lost a Mum and 3 kittens to it and having a survivor in Baby Gorgeous from that litter she is however a Corona carrier

Did they do bloods, we have a magic cocktail of drugs kept the Boris alive when I lost his 3 sibling in 4 days at 7 weeks its Metacam, Covenia or Betamox and Vit B

I would ask for a rush on the sample Glasgow vet school and Bristol both turnaround in 5 days and costs about 60.00 but is worth it

Sending all the Clan vibes we can muster having been through this last year with my Mau boys Hudson and Onyx and nearly lost Hudson at nearly 22 weeks he weigh in at 1.2kgs and looked like a walking skeleton but me and my vets fought a long hard battle took 4 months and a lot of tears on my part and he is now aged 1 and still a lightweight at 3.75kgs but is a happy baby

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #528 on: November 23, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
I can feel your pain and so hope this can be sorted asap  :hug: :hug:

A week to get results back seems a long time but know they sometimes have to see if things grow.

I wasnt gonna mention this because the symptoms dont seem to be right, especially as one is lethargy and you say he is charging around still but I will so you can discuss with your vet if you want.

Its the dreaded FIP and here is a sensible link

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/cat-fip-feline-infectious-peritonitis

I do hope this is not a proberbility and very sorry if I am upsetting you but thought now I should mention  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sending all the good vibes for Chester that are possible  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #527 on: November 23, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »
oh bless him, please don't despair Nic, I was just the same with tilly, her first solid poo was a champagne moment!!  what food will he be eating?

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #526 on: November 23, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »

Come on Chester, stop worrying your mum and get better quickly  :hug:
Lots of get well vibes on the way

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #525 on: November 23, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
Nic, with every fibre of my being, am sending shedloads of "get this stuff down yer" vibes for Chester, and have everything crossed.  xxxx :hug: :hug:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #524 on: November 23, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
Wanted to provide an update on Chester pester.
he's been getting worse over the past few days and I had him back at the vets this morning.

He said he could feel that his bowel was incredibly swollen and said his main worry is that. If he ends up with scarring on the bowel, it'll never work and he won't grow. The normal treatment is steroids but it's too risky to compromise his immune system when he's so small with so much going wrong. He got a metacam jag to try and bring down the inflammation and another antiB jag.

his poo sample results will be back in a week too.

He's to be starved for 12 hours and then only given the prescription food. Problem will be getting him to eat it! Especailly as it now has two meds to be mixed in it!
he's eating very little and what we do get into him is by using a lot of patience and hand feeding.

My vet said at this stage a supplement wouldn't be absorbed as everythings going straight through him. He said the last thing to worry about is getting him to gain weight as that won't be a problem if we get his bowel working. It makes sense but seeing him get skinner and skinnier is really hard.

He's going back tomorrow afternoon as my vet wants to feel his bowel again to see if the metacam is working. He moved someone elses appointment to fit us in. He also took us first this morning even though there were 5 people with dogs in front of me when I arrived. I'm surprised I didn't get lynched!

So, I'm hoping against hope that when it comes time for food tonight he'll eat it with his meds in it. Fingers crossed.

Beau is abolutely thriving and eating like a horse. Thank goodness as I'm in a terrible state worrying about Chester.
the one really good thing is that he is still very energetic, still plays like a whirlwind, but he does sleep more than he did before.

I'm trying really hard to be positive and not even contemplate the thought of losing him, but it's not easy.

So, fingers crossed that something treatable shows up in the sample and we can start making him better

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #523 on: November 20, 2015, 19:48:46 PM »
When Jaffa was a kitten he had the squits & the vet told me that kitten food was richer than adult so I should put him on adult food. There is no kitten mouse in the wild. I have fed mostly adult food to Kito just the occasional tin/pouch but that's mostly for my benefit because I get a kick out of it lol. It's reminds me I have a kitten :). A lot of the good quality foods only come in 1 version suitable for all ages. Some life stages foods can be beneficial if they contain specific things to help with age related problems but I think they are mostly unnecessary

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #522 on: November 20, 2015, 17:58:13 PM »
ours went on to adult food quite young as they had the runs. Our vet said well kitten food if a pretty new thing and all cats had the same in the past and did just fine! Now we have kitten, senior, indoor, outdoor, long hair, short hair, fur ball, sensitive.......on and on and they would all prefer a dead mouse or a fly LOL
I hope you get things sorted out soon.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #521 on: November 20, 2015, 17:36:04 PM »
Its fine to feed adult food to kittens and will be ok for Beau too.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #520 on: November 20, 2015, 15:49:14 PM »
tilly was 14 weeks when I got her and we saw the vet about this problem almost immediately  - I had two others at that time and they ate it too, there was no way to stop them!

• Hero Cat
« Reply #519 on: November 20, 2015, 15:45:41 PM »
Thanks dawn, is that OK to give a kitten then?

And is it ok for beau to be on it too do you think? having them both on different food would be really difficult

Link to CatChat