Author Topic: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau  (Read 142254 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Is it too soon to be thinking of adopting a new cat?
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »
great news!!!!

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 03:18:22 AM »

I've had Astrophe and Zoonie since they were 11weeks old and they are indoor cats, apart from one incident earlier this year when Zoonie escaped, but that's another story.
I tried to teach them to walk on a lead and failed miserably, they just rolled over and refused to move ;D

My two previous cats who were 4 and 9 when I got them adjusted well to being indoor cats.

As long as they have plenty to do and can go anywhere in the house  they will be fine  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 20:53:32 PM »
Great news and the lady sounds great and sure the kittens will be too  ;D ;D

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 20:49:00 PM »
Have you been on Cat Chat our sister site, they are just about rescue?
If you scroll to the very end of any page in Purrs there is a picture of two cats and that has the link.
They have a map and you go to your area and bingo cats and kittens galore!
What area are you in?

I’m in Lanarkshire, close to Glasgow. I actually used Catchat today to find rescues in my area and contacted them and the sspca centres.  And… I have great news!!!  :wow:

One of the fosterers from Cat Action Trust called me back tonight. She has 15 kittens!!
They’re only 5 & 6 weeks old at the moment, so it’ll be a few weeks before they can be homed.

She was absolutely lovely and I ended up on the phone to her for ages. I got a bit choked up as her first question was whether I’d hat cats previously and when I explained I had and that I’d only just lost Bailey, it turns out she had a hyperthyroid boy who she lost to heart failure too.

She just said;
“Well I’m glad you called me because I know this will heal your heart”

She sounds like an older lady and said she prefers people to visit through the day. Because Andy & I are both at work I explained it would need to be Sunday. But she then told me we should come tomorrow after work and see the kittens. She said it had made her night knowing she was going to see me choose new cats who would get the kind of love I gave to my other three.

So tomorrow at 6.30pm, I am going to choose my new cats! I can’t believe how happy it made me feel. Then I had a bit of cry, because strangely it feels like I’m finally properly accepting that Bailey and my other two boys are really gone and this is the start of a new chapter.

Those three boys were part of my life from when I first moved out of my mums and they felt like a part of who I am. Now I start a new adventure. I feel sad and happy at the same time! Tearful and excited, it’s the strangest feeling.

Please dont rule out an older cat/ cats, we often get indoor cats looking for homes. Personalities have developed and you know what you are getting.

I seriously thought about an older cat as I know kittens get homes so quickly, and I think it’s wonderful to give an adult cat a second chance. If Jaffa hadn’t been snapped up before I got to see him for a second time I would’ve taken him.

But I’ve settled on the idea of kittens because it gives me much more time to figure out what to do about outdoor access. I’m very, very scared at the thought of going through the whole letting them out for the first time experience again. And with kittens I have time to think that through more.

I will update tomorrow once I’ve been of course and if I can get photos I will!

And then I can start posting on here constantly and driving everyone mad with questions and updates about my new babies. ;)

Thank you everyone, as always, the people on this forum have been a huge help!
 :thanks:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 20:41:04 PM »
I’m not sure I can add much to what’s already been said other than go with your gut – the right cat(s) will find you.  When I lost Woody – in very similar circumstances to your Bailey – I was catless too :(.

I would say don’t disregard older cats.  I’m not a kitten person so I looked for two cats who had already got through the terrible teens.  Christopher was two and James was four-ish when they came to me from Paws Inn.  Eleanor was rescued via my vet and was an eighteen month old-ish hoolicat when she arrived :naughty:!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 20:04:24 PM »
I too would be worried about the set up and you maybe are best to stay away.

So msorry that you missed Jaffa  :hug:

There are so many cats/kittens needing homes you will find yourself over whelmed with choice!.

Have you been on Cat Chat our sister site, they are just about rescue?

If you scroll to the very end of any page in Purrs there is a picture of two cats and that has the link.

They have a map and you go to your area and bingo cats and kittens galore!

What area are you in?

There is Sheila working for CP in London on Purrs and also Sunny Harbour in Scotland, Ron in Brighton and Judith in Coventry.

Not every rescue on CC is wonderful but they are all at least resonable but should give the PAs something to get their teeth into  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 16:17:37 PM »

Please dont rule out an older cat/ cats, we often get indoor cats looking for homes. Personalities have developed and you know what you are getting.
Apart from Lily, who adopted me, my two adopted cats illustrate this perfectly.
Bramble I've had since she was a kitten, and although I've made a lot of progress with her, and I wouldn't swap her for the world, she remains a grumpy so-and-so!  :rofl:
Clio, on the other hand, runs up to me whenever she sees me, follows me around, and purrs like mad when I stroke her. I'm not sure how old she is, but I was told something like "she's getting on a bit" when she arrived 8 years ago.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 16:16:30 PM »
When I fostered my two with their siblings and Mother they didn't see a vet. The people from the rescue came and gave them their wormers and injections and the ones that were homed went straight from me to their new homes. Even I managed to workout which were male and female!

Don't forget older kittens from this spring will also get left in the rescue. They are still very playful but have lost a little of their kitteniness so sometimes get overlooked for young kittens.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 15:34:49 PM »
I must admit, unless there are any problems our kittens don't always see a vet.

Sometimes (if we are lucky) they are in and out the same or a couple of days later! The new owners would always be told the situation tho and informed if for any reason they haven't had flea/ worm treatment.

I think you are right to be wary if she is getting narky with you asking questions. I am always happier the more questions asked - it makes for a better furparent  :Luv:

I would be more suspicious if someone just came in and said 'can I take that one? How much is that?'

By about 5 weeks even I can tell the sex of a kitten, so at 11 weeks it should be obvious to her!

Little rant over..... At least being unemployed soon you will be able to spend plenty of time with your new family member!!!  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 15:24:20 PM »
I completely agree with both of you, you’ve confirmed what I was already thinking.

My guts telling me there’s something not quite right about her set up. She keeps all the cats in her own home and they obviously haven’t seen a vet as she’s just told me she’s “not sure” what sex they are! She also got quite nippy with me asking questions.

I don’t think I’ll even visit them TBH. I’d just fall in love and risk bringing home a couple of poorly kittens.

So, the upshot of this is I have now reached crazy cat lady obsession stage and I’ve achieved very little at work today because my office has now turned into cat search central. I’ve now phoned 7 different rescues (all sspca or cat protection)

Of those, I’ve left three messages and am waiting to hear from them. The other 4 had no kittens.

I have also recruited the two cat mad PA’s in the office who are currently misusing company internet access to aid in my quest. :evillaugh:

I will find my new furbabies, but I may be unemployed! :shocked:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 14:48:49 PM »

No Nicola, you're not worrying "too much" - you're being sensible and responsible - a perfect cat-mother-in-waiting, in fact.

It may just be coincidence she omitted to tell you about any vet check, but it may also be because they havent been anywhere near a vet, and she doesnt want, or have the means, to incur a veterinary bill.  If she's just started out in rescue, or she hasn't any financial backing, that's understandable, but it could also be risky.

Whilst you could probably rehome a couple of her kittens and they'll be fine, you dont really want the heartbreak if you took on a kitten that failed to thrive.  And the point is, if you took on a kitten that was subsequently weak and ailing, you wouldnt have the heart to abandon it back to her care, and could then be in for a dreadful roller coaster of emotions in trying to nurse the kitten through ny illness. 

You deserve, and owe it to yourself, to have the best possible start with your new cat companion/s.  There are many, many cats and kittens looking for their Forever Homes, and there is one  (or two)  :naughty:  out there, just waiting for you to see them.   :hug: :hug: 

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 14:46:33 PM »
I think you need to ask about the vet again, and if they haven't seen one, then go elsewhere.  There are enough kittens and cats out there that need homes, I'm sure your forever cat is out there sending you thoughts.  Follow that gut feeling, if you feel you need to visit your local Dog and Cat rescue center do it, also any that you get pulled towards. 

For me my last adoption was well weird, not cats but dogs.  We had waited 2 years before we were given the medical all clear to have pets again after my Diabetic Dads open wounds healed.  He wanted a Labrador, I wanted a Westie.  Well one day just a little while after beginning the search, I found a grey Westie/Cairn Terrier cross on a website and when I rung up about him, he was  paired with a Lurcher (Labrador x Whippet).  Not only that they were with 5 minutes of us in a local kennels I didn't even know was there!  Yep they came home with us.

What I'm trying to say is there is no rush, take your time and I'm sure you'll find each other.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 13:17:45 PM »
The fosterer just called - they got rehomed last night  :( :(

So, its back to the woman who has the eight kittens. I've managed to get more information from her, albeit it's by text as we're both in work:

There are 6 from one litter who are 8 weeks old. And two from another who are 11 weeks old but they've been reserved.

She's looking to rehome them at 9 weeks. I asked if they've had a vet check and been wormed had flea treatment etc.

She said they've had worm and flea treatment but that she doesn't cover vaccinations. She didn't actually say whether they've been to a vet or not...

Be grateful for your thoughts? Am I worrying too much?  :Crazy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
we got tilly at 14 weeks (normal for a registered pedigree) she was still very much a kitten and yes completely nuts! 

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »
Thanks everyone, you're such a huge help! :thanks:

Despite the fact that I'm now desperate for new furbabies, I'm inclined to be very cautious. I'd be concerned if they hadn't even been to a vet yet. I would hope they've been wormed etc. at this stage, so when she gets back in touch I'll ask her lots of questions.

I've arranged to go on Saturday evening to see them. Any advice on what I should be looking for or anything that I should be concerned about?

I've obviously got more sensible with age, when I adopted my three boys, 2 of them were from cat protection but I got Jake from a local woman who rescued feral cats & kittens and had a tiny house which was completely overrun. He was completely wild, had a gummy eye and a cough and was riddled with fleas!

My local cat protection has a fosterer with two 13 week old kittens to be homed as a pair as well, I'm waiting on a call from her. A ginger boy  :Luv2: and a black girl. I'm now trying to remember what kittens are like at that age!!! At 13 weeks they'll be quite big won't they....and completely mental with energy if memory serves me correctly?  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »

I think a degree of caution is sensible, although the tummy upset may indeed  be only a temporary thing. 

Do you know much about the lady who's fostering the cat and her kittens, or do you know anyone who may be able to tell you more about her situation? 

You could request a vet check before committing to taking on one (or two) of the kittens.

If she responds positively I'd be more inclined to think favourably of adopting from her.  :hug:

Ha - just seen Mymblesdaughter's post about more than one kitten and wholeheartedly agree.    Good points from emmy-lou as well.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
Sorry don't know that much about kittens but the ones I've had haven't had stomach problems. Just to say getting kittens would be easier if you want to keep them indoors. Also getting two is recommended if they are going to be indoors as they will entertain each other to a certain extent. I have two that I got as kittens they are now 4 and show no interest in going outside.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
Oh YES, unfortunately.

With people and cats coming in and out, bugs can easily be passed about. Plus, we give whatever food it donated, so kittens arent always getting the same makes of food. With their stomachs being delicate this can cause problems.

A litter of 8 kittens is a very large litter!  :shocked:

I would visit and see what the conditions are, ask if they have had any flea, but more importantly worming treatment.

I know if runny poos  :sick: are a problem, we dont rehome until the problem is better.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 11:19:40 AM »
Quick update:
I've been in touch with a woman who rescues cats and kittens and she currently has a litter of 8 kittens who are 11 weeks old. I get the impression she does this from her own home, she seems very nice and cat daft but it's definitely not an organised business if you know what I mean.
She's texted me and said I can come and see them, however, she also said the kitten food isn't agreeing with their tummies just now so she's been feeding them chicken to settle them.
I'm just a bit unsure about that as I don't want to risk taking on poorly kittens - is it common for them to have upset tummies when they're small?

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »
Oh, I bet you were devastated  :( But at least he has found a nice home.

A lot of cats are more than happy to be indoor only. We often rehome indoor cats. The shelter should be able to tell you if they think certain cats would be happy indoors. There are some you just know are dying to explore the great outdoors!

If you were to go the harness route a very young cat or kitten would be better as would be easier to get used to wearing it regularly.

Cat proofing is great, if you can afford it!  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 10:33:19 AM »

Nicola, that's a shame, but great that he has found a home.  I agree - soem things aren't meant to be, but if nothing else it's helped you reach a decision about whether or not you're ready.   :hug: :hug:

There are Purrs members who have indoor only very successfully, and from a variety of backgrounds.  One of the loveliest stories on Purrs was The General's story - an avowed semi  feral, chunky, battered, unneutered Tom with a strong propensity to avoid people.  He was with patience and care, caught, neutered, released and coaxed into becoming an absolute cuddle bum who couldnt believe his luck in eventually getting his paws very firmly under the table, much to our collected relief.   :)

Others have successfully cat proofed their gardens, and as Dawn will testify, it's a great solution if you have the time and money to achieve it, or decent handyman skills to enable you to do it yourself. 

I so empathise about Rocky.  One of ours was in the past shot with an air rifle, and we've lost others to the road.  Having said that, both of ours come and go as they choose.  Not something I'm entirely happy with, but it's the compromise I've had to reach of necessity. 

Good luck with your search, and can't wait to hear how you get on.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 10:22:06 AM »
gill takes lupin out with a walking jacket and mine have a cat proofed garden so it is possible if that is what you want, other cats live very happy lives just as indoor cats, someone at work took a cat from Sheila a couple of months back who had been roaming for a while and since getting her feet under the table has shown no interest in going out at all, good luck with your search

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
So I went to the shelter yesterday to have another look at Jaffa and make my decision. Unfortunately, someone had beat me to it and he’d been reserved that morning. Apparently it was a lovely lady who lives alone who took him.
I was really, really disappointed yesterday, but I’m telling myself it just wasn’t meant to be. :(

The one thing it’s confirmed for me is that it’s time for another furbaby in my life, so the search has now fully started! I will be keeping everyone posted on progress!

Had a good chat with my OH last night and realised that my main concerns about another cat come from my nerves about the time coming to let it out.

My three boys were all very much outdoor cats and used a catflap. Jake was a feral kitten and Rocky was a rescue from a previous home where he’d had outdoor access and to be honest, if I’d tried to keep them in I think they would have chewed their way through my back door to get out!

But the worry when they were out was a nightmare, especially as I went through Rocky being first shot by an air rifle and then hit by a car and needing months of surgery and recovery time. Less so with Bailey as he spent his time in our garden watching his turf from his wee cat kennel.

I’ve never contemplated having indoor only cats before but I’m keen to know what people think? Is it feasible in a house with back and front garden? Could I just allow supervised access to outside or would that just make a wee cat want more freedom to roam?

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 20:15:14 PM »
Lewis was an entire tom or 5 or more years, and he only goes out with my husband - and often wants to come straight back in again - he certainly does not wander.  He is FIV positive so we could not allow that in any case but its no issue - he walks by my husband like a dog - he will sit and sunbathe on the back step but always comes in when we call him.

He uses the outside to go to the toilet, or his litter tray.  He digs the deepest holes outside - I think when he was a stray people would shout or throw things if he went to the toilet in their gardens and they saw him, so he does everything he can to cover his traces in this respect. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 18:21:00 PM »
This sounds like a winner for all and I am sure everything will go fine  ;D ;D ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »
 :) :) :)  I think Jaffa would be a splendid name.  Sounds like the poorl young lad has been in a bit of bother before he made it to the sheleter, but I dont think once he's neutered and cared for, he should pose too much of a problem child.  The shelter staff will be able to tell you more about how he's been whilst he's been with them.

In terms of letting him out, I agree, probably best in the circumstances to keep him indoors for at least a couple of weeks, to let his hormones settle down.  Give him space indoors within which to explore (or hide initially) and give him time to adapt, being the key things to settle him in.

As Jen has already said, sometimes when they've gone through a number of changes in rapid succession, it takes time for them to "bed in" but you'll be so focused on him, it'll certainly help to divert your thoughts.  And don't forget, we'll all be here cheering you both on, and asking you loads of questions about how he's doing, and can we have photos and all that malarkey....   :wow:

He sounds like a stunner.  I'm very partial to gingers, you know.  ;)  Paddy, MacBeenz McSquee and Ross were all beautiful ginger boys.   :naughty: :Luv:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »

Well that's it then. He's chosen you and you have given him a name. Only one thing left to do..... ;D ;D

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
My Benji was an ex street cat, and had to be kept indoors only for health reasons. He had absolutely no desire to go out, having spent most of his life on the streets, he knew which side his bread was buttered on and was perfectly happy being a pampered indoor puss! He had no problems with using litter trays (aside from when an old injury and arthritis caught up).

It sounds like you have some time to get to know him while he gets ready to get the all clear. I had similar battles with myself over Zarny and Billy, and initially Billy really didn't settle well so I started doubting myself all over again. Listen to your heart, not your brain on this one is the advice I would give.

:hug: :hug:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
There is never a right or wrong answer whether its too soon or not, and its always a worry the first time they are let  outdoors! I am never 100% on any decision I make, being a Libra I always see the pros and cons of everything....!

I volunteer in a rescue, and none of the strays have issues using litter trays. I am sure he has been using them in the shelter.

Stray cats are different to feral cats, I am sure he will be more than happy to know he has a safe place to call home  :Luv:

Just dont let him out for at least a couple of weeks. I know someone who recently moved and let hers out after a week and hasn't seen him since  :'(

I would get him chipped too before I let him out.

Let us know what happens

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
What would you call this handsome boy if you did decide to give him a chance?

Aw Sue, how did you know I already had a name in mind for him? That’s a bit of a sign itself isn’t it?
I’m thinking Jaffa would be a good name. In my head I’m already calling him that.

I’m going to pop to the shelter in my lunch hour today to spend a bit more time with him then see how I feel.

I tied myself in knots thinking about it last night. One minute I’d decide it was too soon and I was rushing into this before I was ready, the next minute I was thinking about him and imagining him as my cat.
So, I think the logical next step is to go along and spend a bit more time with him.

I called for more info on him yesterday. He’s an entire Tom who was picked up 2 weeks ago as a stray. He’d been going to a local man for food but the guy couldn’t keep him because he had cats of his own. He had a bad limp when he came in but it’s cleared up and his x-rays didn’t show anything up. He’s also due to have a tooth removed. So they would do that and neuter him before re-homing him.

I know what you mean about them getting outdoors, it’s such a constant worry. I considered keeping my 3 boys as indoor cats but they were having none of that, so I’ve always had a cat flap. But the amount of time I’ve spent worrying about them over the years is unbelievable. It’s just such a risk letting them out.

One of my main concerns is if he’s been a stray for a long time, would he be likely to just vanish when I eventually do let him out?
Also, how are cats who’ve been strays with using a litter tray?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
I didnt think I was ready either, but it was more a matter of having to be.  Like you, I worried I wouldnt be able to bond with him, and that I'd best just leave it in the hands of my OH, who undoubtedly would love him, even if I couldnt.

Oh how I laugh, looking back on that now.  How I could ever have thought I wouldnt feel anything for him, gawd knows.  I adored him.  he was a special little soul. 

We lost him too, and went through exactly the same process again, and happily, I didnt take that long to bond with Moray either (though that was more from necessity as OH had a sudden panic.   He decided Moray had to go back to the rescue, and we couldn't keep him.  I was horrified and ended up in a battle with my OH as to whether or not he stayed put or went back, me being furious that OH had taken leave of his senses and was treating the poor little scrap like a parcel, when he'd had such a poor start in life).   I sometimes think now that my OH played me more than I realised.    ;)

I think the fact bringing a cat home makes you feel happy at the thought, tells you everything your mind may not be ready torecognise as yet, but your heart already does.   :hug:

Why dont you express an interest in this beautiful ginger boy and pop in to see him s often as you can over the next week if ordinary life permits?  You cn get to know him a bit better.

As a 2 year old cat, he will still have a sense of fun but wont give you the runaround like a very young kitten will  :evillaugh:   Also its much harder for a cat which isnt in direct kittenhood to find a home, so you'd be doing him a real favour.   As to letting him out, what's the hurry?  Why not let him set his own pace if he comes home with you?  (I always struggle with that one, to be honest - our two are outdoor and indoor cats, but I'd prefer to have a cat proofed garden within which they were confined - aint going to happen though, so I have to accept what I have and pray for the best outcome)

Go on - make the call.  If you dont try, you'll never know. 

Onem ore thing - one of the best dogs we ever had, I almost let slip through my hands.  We'd been to look in the local Cat & Dog shelter and had spotted this timid but responsive  shadow in a dark barn, where she was in with a pot bellied pig.  We took her out in the exercise yard on a lead and she was lovely.  But, because I didnt think I was ready (sensing a theme here?) we walked away.  We went home, and then fretted about it for the next hour.  We rang the Shelter, who said someone else had been expressing an interest in her, so we shot out in the car, and got to the shelter ten minutes before closing, where we were fortunate enough to sign the papers and arrange for her to become ours.    Sure, she had issues, but nothing we couldnt resolve, and she was one of the most loving, humourous and good natured dogs I've ever had the fortune to share my life with. 

Dont let an opportunity slip through your fingers.    :hug: :hug:

What would you call this handsome boy if you did decide to give him a chance? 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 01:30:16 AM »
I was a cat hater who was turned by a cat who was dumped and adopted me.

When she passed to the Bridge I was totally a gonna and within 24 hours had emailed CP and decided it had to be 2 cats, wanted a pair but they had never met each other before travelling next to each other to me.

Misa and Sasa arrived with me 7 days after Kocka and just going to view the cats and stroke them helped although it has taken many years to get over her and the two have been with me over 10 years now, they were 4 and 7 at the time.

You must go with your heart and the ginger sounds like he has done all he can to convince you that he will love you.  ;D

Sorry for your loss  :hug: :hug:

Offline Reets

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bruno
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 19:07:53 PM »
Its a great sign that he interacted so well with you - looks like he might have chosen his new slave!

It was only four weeks after our last cat died that we brought home our lovely Lewis from the rescue centre. I was mourning Bru, the boy we lost, and really needed a feline friend.  Lewis really needed someone to look after him, and that was that.

Despite having spent most of his life as an entire tom cat, and a stray, and having a few health issues, he is the gentlest, sweetest natured boy ever and is absolutely no trouble at all.  He's been with us for 18 months now, and we are besotted with him.

If it feels right it is right.

• Hero Cat
Is it too soon to be thinking of adopting a new cat?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 18:55:49 PM »
Thanks everyone. It's reassuring to know that others have gone through the same uncertainty & rollercoaster emotions.

My OH said if I'm 100% certain about this he's behind it all the way.
Trouble is I'm not 100% certain, but then would I ever be?
It's a huge decision whatever the circumstances.

The thought of bringing home a new cat makes me happy though, and considering that nothing else does just now, that's a good start!!

But then I start worrying about how it'll go, would he settle? What if he doesn't like us? And then the dreaded first time letting him outside!! Having only had rescue kittens before, I've no idea what to expect of a 2 year old.

He was rolling around purring in his pen while I rubbed his tummymind you...surely that's a good sign of how he'd be with new human slaves?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 17:09:49 PM »

I lost Tigger and Lulu within 3 weeks of each other in April 2014. I was distraught. My sister took me to the local rescue, under protest as I kept saying I wasn't having any more, where I found my 2 boys aged 11 weeks. Now 20 month old hoolies.
I still miss Tigger and Lulu, Astrophe and Zoonie aren't replacements, they were two kittens who needed a home

There is no right or wrong time, just a kitten or cat who needs you

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 16:59:59 PM »

Nicola - my heart goes out to you.  Have been in this position.  There is no right or wrong answer.

I took on another kitten thinking I wasnt ready, but recognising my partner's very real need to have something to divert his grief after losing three of our wonderful companions in relatively swift succession. 

It was the best move I ever made.  It focused my attention on another little soul who was dependent on us for his well being and happiness.  Any worries I entertained about not bonding were groundless, and of course he had us wrapped round his paws in no time at all.  I dont grieve any the less for the babies we lost.  I still think of them, I still love them, I still wish we hadnt lost them - especially 2 of them in such tragic circumstances.

But I do think having another cat in your life would help to ease the paind and the sadness and introduce life and love back into an empty space.  Please dont be afraid to give it a try......    :hug: :hug:

I would write more, but I have somewhere to be in a very short while.  I'm thinking of you though, and hoping you can make this decision without tying yourself up in knots.   :hug: :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 16:58:23 PM »
I was in a similar position until recently, I had 3 gorgeous rescues with health problems who all passed in a year. By May I found myself without cats for the first time since I was 2!

OH wanted us to wait 5 years, then 2 years, then after our big holiday planned next year...1 and a half months after losing Benji, the last of our 3, I was constantly stressed, unhappy and couldn't cope with work. One of a number of evenings after I came home from work stressed, crying, you name it he said those magic words 'I think you need to get a cat' within a week we came home with Billy and Zarny.

I still miss Benji, Fred and Ginger but I can cope with that loss much better. Some people need cats in their lives, taking on another cat is a tribute to Bailey and Jake and the love you have for them.

Personally I instantly felt less like an over-wound string about to snap when we brought Billy and Zarny home. Bonding wasn't a problem, when we went to see them, that was it. And given that he is on your mind, I don't think it will be a problem! I am still enjoying getting to know my 2, given that they are 7 and 6 they come with likes and dislikes and it is fun finding that out. (Both hate pate style food, Billy loves being brushed and Zarny likes to be picked up to look out the window). I did have my doubts, because it felt so sudden but there's no looking back now. Have had some friends say to me recently that I am a completely different person when I don't have cats and I truly believe it was the right thing to open our home to furries.

Don't doubt yourself, and do what feels right.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Hero Cat
They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 16:27:40 PM »
Looking for some advice or other peoples experiences to help me make a decision.

I had to have my beloved boy Bailey PTS two weeks ago and I’m heartbroken. He was 15 and he was the last of my 3 boys, so as well as missing him terribly, I’m really struggling to adjust to having a cat free home.

Having lost both him and Jake in the past two years and having come through 4 years of dealing with the worry and heartbreak of them both being ill, I had convinced myself that when Baileys time came, I wouldn’t be getting another cat.
However, after just 2 weeks,  it’s something I keep thinking about & we’ve already discussed when the right time might be to consider bringing a new kitten into our home.

Then, I dropped Baileys beds and scratching post into our local shelter at the weekend and couldn’t resist looking round the cattery. And despite it being full of kittens,  I found myself falling for a gorgeous 2 year old ginger tom cat.
I haven’t stopped thinking about him since and have even phoned to get more information about him. Part of me really wants to give him a forever home. But…

Is it too soon? I’m terrified that I’d be making an impulsive decision based on grief. What if i did that and couldn't bond with him?

Also, my three boys were all kittens when I adopted them, so I have no idea what to expect when rehoming an adult cat.

Should I give myself more time? Does the fact I’m thinking about him so much mean I’m ready? Or would I have no doubts at all if I was truly ready?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I’m driving myself mad thinking about it!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:48:20 AM by Nicola (RockysMum) »

Link to CatChat