Author Topic: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau  (Read 143068 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Re: They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #517 on: November 20, 2015, 15:32:22 PM »
I'm trying to find RC sensitive kitten food but can't seem to find it online anywhere. Anyone know where I can get it?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #516 on: November 20, 2015, 15:25:40 PM »
I too would give rc a try

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #515 on: November 20, 2015, 13:02:46 PM »
I can understand you being so worried with him being a baby  :hug:

Have you tried RC sensitivity or GI recovery food?  I'm not a fan of RC in general but these 2 foods do seem to work well for cats with dodgy tummies.  The important thing now is to sort out his tummy and when he's better you can work out what you want to feed him long term.   I do hope the vet can get to the bottom (no pun intended) of what is going on.

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #514 on: November 20, 2015, 11:48:03 AM »
Nice to know I'm not alone in the picky eaters dept!

Not great news with Chester today. He had bad diarrhoea again this morning with traces of blood in it.

He's now had a double course of wormer, and antibioitic jag and the probiotic so I must admit, I just dissolved into tears this morning before having to leave for work  :'(  :(

Spoke to my vet - again! - We had them booked in on Monday for their next vaccs, but he's not going to do that and is going to have another look at him and I'm taking a poo sample with me to get tested.

I asked the vet how worried I should be, he said to try not to worry too much yet, but that we really need to get it sorted out and find the cause because it can cause a flattened bowel if it goes on too long. He said he sees 2 or 3 rescue kittens a year with flatttened bowels because they've had untreated diarrhoea. But he also said the fact that we get the occasional solid poo is a good sign.

I looked at the two of them stting side by side this morning and Beau, who was half Chesters size a few weeks ago is now almost bigger than him. Chester is so skinny. It's just killing me with worry  :'(

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #513 on: November 19, 2015, 22:12:28 PM »
My previous 2 cats lived to be 19 and 20 on a diet of supermarket own tinned food and Go-Cat - I didn't know any better.

Alfie will eat most things, except for the pate that Cleo likes which is useful if they have to be fed together. He inhales his raw, only slows down if I give him something he has to chew. Cleo has decided she will only eat raw if it is mixed with pate, but the pate content is less than 25%. She really loves dry food but it has an unfortunate effect on her digestion...  :sick: She will go without rather than eat something she doesn't want to.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #512 on: November 19, 2015, 21:32:44 PM »
Oh Sue that mad me laugh.

All my cats are fairly fussy and Kocka was one of those who would suck her cheeks in and say look you are starving me but would only eat what bshe wanted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,even better if it was on my plate!

The current ones have one food when I get up, a different one in the evening and another different one late and biscuits always the same left out all the time.

they also dont like dreammies  :evillaugh:

I have sometimes tried to change the order cos they wernt eating their felix fish in jelly which is the first meal and that didnt work at all, so back to the same order just different flavours.

Their biscuits are fish too and on the whole that seems to be their first choice but do put out a little tin of chicken and liver or another one sometimes for over night.............depends how much uneaten food still there.

Leave the whole bloomin lot down over night and amazingly I come down to empty or nearly empty dishes!

Also lucky that the cats fit in with my life style unless I am watching say Olympics which is on all night...............then they get a bit confused.

Lupin gets up even later than me  :rofl: :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #511 on: November 19, 2015, 17:49:01 PM »
sometimes you just have to let them win!

I have been very lucky so far in that I've never had a fussy cat.  Mosi is the nearest I've had to fussy as he did go through a phase when he would only eat pate (except for applaws) which is clearly his favourite texture but that's ok as most of the foods I like to feed are pate texture.  He ate hi life essentials for years with a few other things thrown in for variety but they discontinued that so we switched to miamor pate which comes in more flavours anyway.  Over the past couple of years he's expanded his repertoire to take in a good variety of foods so we're all good.  I do think he may have a food allergy though so may have to totally rethink his diet.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #510 on: November 19, 2015, 17:01:59 PM »
On the food front, I have been trying to get Billy and Zarny on better food.
My first aim was to get them on raw, this aim was downgraded to good quality wet, downgraded to mixed good quality wet and dry (but mostly wet) and has now become eat what you like, I give up!  :rofl: you win!  :rofl:

They have been fed on royal canin ragdoll dry for their whole lives and at 7 and 6 aren't interested in changing. They will eat a small amount of applaws alongside their dry but I was worried this wasn't complete so they have sainsburys delicious sachets (which are like applaws but complete) and rc ragdoll mixed with rc calm dry food. They will not eat anything with jelly, gravy or pate texture. At all. And will go the whole day without eating before I give in.
I was feeling guilty that they weren't getting a high quality food and dry food isn't the best, but at the end of the day they have got to eat something. And given Billys anxiety he needs to have rc calm dry anyway... They will be getting a water fountain for Christmas so they stay hydrated. And I have stopped beating myself up about it!

Added to that neither of them will eat dreamies!!!  :shocked: I know  :shocked: (sorry B+Z I may have just outed you!)  :evillaugh:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Hero Cat
« Reply #509 on: November 19, 2015, 13:15:38 PM »

Astro and the Loon are so stubborn with their food, will only eat Felix AGAIL and only fish :pull hair:
They ate anything and everything when they were kittens. Vet said, "wait till they get older". How right she was :Crazy:

Love the pics, Nic  :Luv: :Luv:

Perhaps that means mine will be the opposite and eat anything when they're older  :crossed:

If Chesters antics with his wand toys is anything to go by, the one thing he would eat is mice and birds  :shocked: He's got such a fearsome hunting instinct.

Listen to the growls in this video!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mnn63L_YWag" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Mnn63L_YWag</a>

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #508 on: November 19, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »

Astro and the Loon are so stubborn with their food, will only eat Felix AGAIL and only fish :pull hair:
They ate anything and everything when they were kittens. Vet said, "wait till they get older". How right she was :Crazy:

Love the pics, Nic  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #507 on: November 19, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »

I am going through some amount of antibacterial gel and savlon I tell ya  :rofl:

We know the feeling......  ;) :hug:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #506 on: November 19, 2015, 09:38:41 AM »
I think that's what would work with my two Susanne, they seem to get bored with foods after a few days. I just worry that too many different things will upset their tummies. But at this stage, variety is the only thing that works.

Success last night, Zooplus order had arrived at OH's mums and he brought it home after work.

I'd ordered the Hills chicken mousse to try and they devoured it! :yayyy:
Of course by Saturday they'll probably have gone off it again  :rofl:

But if they do, I'll just rotate back to one of the other foods I've got.

They were nuts last night, totally full of energy.
I ended up with a scatch on my nose which is a first - tiny scratch but you should've seen the amount of blood!!

Chester does this thing when he's sleepy where he climbs up my chest and rubs his wee head all over my face. last night he decided that this wasn't enough and tried to climb my face onto the top of my head.

I felt the scratch, but didn't realise I was bleeding until blood dripped off my chin!!  :Crazy:

I am going through some amount of antibacterial gel and savlon I tell ya  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #505 on: November 19, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »
Don't really know what to suggest about the food as my 2 are gannets and eat anything that is put in front of them (especially Kito who also begs dramatically for everything not put in front of him).  Do you rotate foods?  I feed lots of different brands and flavours and they rarely have the same thing 2 meals running so don't get bored.  At the moment we're going through a phase of one food at each meal until the tin is finished then something different the following day but it's more usually a case of food 1 at breakfast, food 2 at tea, food 1 again at supper, food 1 following day breakfast if any left otherwise food 3, food 3/4 at tea and so on..  they never get a chance to get bored  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #504 on: November 19, 2015, 07:04:25 AM »

Dave's right - better to get them to eat something than worry too much about whether it's approved kitten food etc.  Some cats prefer dry food, whatever we my think about it.  One of the Borrowers would much rather scoff a bowl of dried than a bowl of wet food.

As long as they have access to plenty of fresh water, I'd not fret too much.    :hug:

• Hero Cat
They're here!!! Introducing Chester & Beau
« Reply #503 on: November 18, 2015, 20:34:03 PM »
Thanks Dave. That's what my gut was telling me.
Getting food in them is my main concern.
OH has just finished work & is coming home via a couple of supermarkets to see if he can get a food that'll tempt them.
What a high maintenance little pair my monsters are ;D

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #502 on: November 18, 2015, 20:26:10 PM »
It's more important that they eat than what they eat. It's better that they don't have too much difference in the meals they have (apart from flavour, the more variety there the better), but I think it's more risky to let them go without. Kittens are quite sensitive to changes in diet but, so long as they're active, there's no need to worry too much, even if they get the runs again.
You're doing everything right, and your vet is a phone call away if needed.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #501 on: November 18, 2015, 19:56:35 PM »
I think I have me some fusspot kittens :-[
And I think Beau is addicted to applaws dry, seems to be all he wants!

I'm desperate to see them eat a healthy portion of something consistently but I'm worried about trying lots of different foods because every bit of advice 're. Kittens is to feed them the same thing to avoid upset tummys.

But they need food when they're getting rid of worms.

??????? Aaarghh!

So, answers on a postcard, should I just feed them a variety of whatever they'll eat that day?

And the one thing they both really like is nature's menu pouches but they're 70% meat content...am I risking upsetting their tums more if I give them it?

Offline McKitties (Katie)

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Archie & Luna, RIP Indie
« Reply #500 on: November 18, 2015, 19:48:23 PM »
Sue, that made me laugh out loud.  :rofl:

I think I have a lot to learn  :scared:
" Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened "

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #499 on: November 18, 2015, 18:09:43 PM »
 :evillaugh:  I agree with Gill - for some of us our cats will wolf something down like it's a narcotic, then when you stock up on it, they'll flick their tail at you in digust and refuse to eat it.  Variety is definitely the key for these kinds of cats, and working food on a rotation basis.

Katie, a lot of people think if cats are hungry enough they'll eat whatever's put out for them, and to a degree, especially if we're talking about strays, they generally will.  But spoiled and pampered domestic cats will simply suck in their cheeks, gaze at you gaunt and hollow eyed and by the power of telepathy, convey to you exactly how thin they've grown in the last three hours, until you sob in abject terror and sprint to the cat-fud cupboard vowing never to starve them again, ever.   :agree:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #498 on: November 18, 2015, 18:05:02 PM »
What about (says me the cat expert who hasn't had a cat for twenty years!) just giving them the Felix for now, I know it's not what you want to feed them but it will push through the worms, then in a few weeks time make a decision about a possible food change when they are both well and have lovely poos to start???

Experienced cat people what do you think?

Can I just hijack your thread a wee bit Nicola by asking the others, as long as the cat is well etc, does it work, or is it worth just telling your little charge to "starve you little :censored:" and after half an hour pick it up and don't offer it again til night? Or am I being incredibly naive/cruel/stupid?! All of the above!

• Hero Cat
« Reply #497 on: November 18, 2015, 14:36:01 PM »
Get your supermarket cupboard stocked up, so you can easily change food  :rofl: :rofl:

I am so pleased that the meds are working and suspect that Beau knows what is happening and associates this with the food.

He started it before the meds though. Personally, I think he's just a fussy wee monster.
There's so much bloomin kitten food on the go in my house I may need to put some of it in the auction  :rofl: :rofl:

I was trying to limit them to one type so it didn't upset their tums, but I now think the upset tum was due to the worms so I may just admit defeat and give them what they want.....

Personally, I think he's holding out for Felix AGAIL. He's had it once and practically inhaled it!
It's a battle of wills. But I think his Puss in Boots begging will defeat me  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #496 on: November 18, 2015, 13:05:07 PM »
Get your supermarket cupboard stocked up, so you can easily change food  :rofl: :rofl:

I am so pleased that the meds are working and suspect that Beau knows what is happening and associates this with the food.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #495 on: November 18, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
Wait til Miss Tortie Drawers arrives, I think I've got the cotton wool ready to wrap her up in already  :rofl:

Between us, we may decimate Scotlands cotton wool supply  :rofl:

Poo Watch - Status Update:evillaugh:

Can confirm that Beau also has worms. Thankfully OH was the poo inspector on duty at time of discovery  :evillaugh:

So, meds seem to be working for both boys and we've had 2 solid poos from each of them

Dare I hope that we are reaching the end of this saga?? :crossed:

In other news, they are a complete pain in the  :censored: with food.

They completely stopped eating the type they were on so I've been trying to gradually change it by mixing some of the new food in, so.... they ate all the new food and picked around the old stuff. Gave up and gave all new stuff. They ate it for a day... and are turning noses up at both foods now.

Beau has also turned into Puss in Boots from Shrek. I have never seen begging like it. Sad eyes, dancing on back legs while pawing the air, rubbing off me and clambering up my legs. Then he instantly 'buries' what I put down and starts begging again. Occasionally he gives it a delicate lick first  :brick:

What do I do??? Know I need to be getting grub into them, especially as they have worms, but even if I gave in and offered an alternative food, I suspect they'd eat it for a day and start this nonsense again.  :sigh:

Any advice?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #494 on: November 18, 2015, 08:41:33 AM »

Lovely piccies Nic.   :Luv2: I don't  think you'd be a "right in the head" Crazy Cat Lady if you didn't feel the way you do about them.   :hug: :hug: Something we all identify with - even Katie, who has only 2 more sleeps to go.....  ;)

Even our two little velociraptors are beginning to leave an impression on us besides that of teeth and claws.   :evillaugh:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #493 on: November 17, 2015, 23:38:57 PM »
You're boys will be back to normal in no time, it just seems like it's been forever because you've been so worried.
The wonders of vet medicine, we're lucky we have access to it are we?

Wait til Miss Tortie Drawers arrives, I think I've got the cotton wool ready to wrap her up in already  :rofl:

Give it this time next week and you'll be a much happier mummy.  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #492 on: November 17, 2015, 21:31:53 PM »
I hate auto correct  :rofl:

Chester looks like he is paddling  ;D

Love em both  :Luv2:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #491 on: November 17, 2015, 21:01:36 PM »
:o I meant "bless her" not "bleed" her Bloody auto correct on my phone!

• Hero Cat
« Reply #490 on: November 17, 2015, 20:49:54 PM »
You have done everything you should and could have for Chester. He has been treated by the vet and that treatment is clearly working because worms are being expelled. Go find something else to beat yourself up about!   :P  :hug:
Thank you.

I never have a problem finding something to worry/feel guilty/obsess about ;D

He's sound asleep after a good couple of hours of racing around with Beau. The tiger toy belonged to my niece, she decided to give it to Chester because he's not been well. She adores him, bleed her. Now I have to ensure I get photos of him "sleeping with" it for her

Panacur doesn't seem to be disagreeing with either of them, although Beau had a bit of a Mr Whippy poo tonight so I assume that's a normal side effect.

Seems such a lot of drugs for Chester, giving him it for 6 days, but I'm trying to stop fretting & have faith in my vet

Look at 'em. My babies, they just mean the absolute world to me ^-^

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #489 on: November 17, 2015, 20:03:12 PM »
You have done everything you should and could have for Chester. He has been treated by the vet and that treatment is clearly working because worms are being expelled. Go find something else to beat yourself up about!   :P  :hug:

• Hero Cat
« Reply #488 on: November 17, 2015, 14:22:13 PM »
Agree with Sue and Dave and suspect that Beau doesnt have any but better to be safe than sorry,

So pleased you have spoken to the vets and there is noway you could have known and now Chester is getting rid of them for you  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Dont panic your vet sounds great and we are here and you are doing everything right  ;D ;D

Thanks Gill. My default mode is worry and slight panic when it comes to my puddy cats unfortunately  :Crazy:
I'm just desperate to get home and see them now as OH left for work at midday. but I'm intending to fly out the door at 4pm.

I also suspect Beau is fine but don't want to take any chances. now I just hope he tolerates the panacur OK  :scared:

What on earth would I do without you lot?  :grouphug: You've been such a source of support!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #487 on: November 17, 2015, 13:20:08 PM »
Agree with Sue and Dave and suspect that Beau doesnt have any but better to be safe than sorry,

So pleased you have spoken to the vets and there is noway you could have known and now Chester is getting rid of them for you  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Dont panic your vet sounds great and we are here and you are doing everything right  ;D ;D

• Hero Cat
« Reply #486 on: November 17, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
Nic, I wholeheartedly agree with Dave.  Don't be a daftie - you couldn't be a better Mum to Chester and Beau if you tried!  They've fallen on their feet with you, and no mistake.  Nothing's spoilt.  When they're both rid of their worms they'll catch up any lost ground in no time, you'll see.   :hug: :hug:

I feel awful, like I've missed this and could have done something sooner.
You didn't miss it though. Chester was being treated before you knew what the problem was.
I understand why you're beating yourself up about it. We all tend to do that, it comes from giving a damn! I bet I won't be the only one to say you shouldn't, and that you've done everything right.

Thank you  :hug:
You've both made me feel better.
OH is back shift this week so it's his turn to deal with the meds this time & they've both had their treatment for today.
Just hope I start to see an improvement soon in Chester, so I can stop worrying about this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #485 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »

Nic, I wholeheartedly agree with Dave.  Don't be a daftie - you couldn't be a better Mum to Chester and Beau if you tried!  They've fallen on their feet with you, and no mistake.  Nothing's spoilt.  When they're both rid of their worms they'll catch up any lost ground in no time, you'll see.   :hug: :hug:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #484 on: November 17, 2015, 09:44:09 AM »

I feel awful, like I've missed this and could have done something sooner.
You didn't miss it though. Chester was being treated before you knew what the problem was.
I understand why you're beating yourself up about it. We all tend to do that, it comes from giving a damn! I bet I won't be the only one to say you shouldn't, and that you've done everything right.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Got my vet this morning.
He delayed starting his appointments so he could call me back first thing which was good of him. he knows me well though so knows if I've called, it's because I'm worried.

He's giving me another full course of Panacur for both of them to use right away and more probiotic for chester. He wants to give Chester more wormer because he's obviously had them for a while and he thinks he probably has Giardia too based on his previous experience :(
The good news is if the worm came out in stool, it means it's working.

He's giving me some for Beau as he completely refused to take it before. Paste this time so fingers crossed we can get that into him. He says there's a chance he doesn't have worms but that it's better to treat him as well.

I feel awful, like I've missed this and could have done something sooner. I've been saying to Andy for the past 2 weeks that i thought Chester was too skinny and wasn't gaining weight like Beau. I ws in such a state this morning I ended up in tears to one of the crazy cat lady PA's in work. Mortifying. just want my boys to be perfectly healthy and to be able to stop worrying about my wee man.

Just got to hope this works quickly and I get my boy fighting fit.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
Panacur treats roundworms, lungworms and tapeworms in cats.

Yes, I'd check with the vet too, given that Chester's on meds at the moment.  And chances are what one has, the other will have, as kittens can pick up worm infestations from their mother, but if you've managed to get the wormer into them each day, I wouldn't worry too much.  :hug:  If not, just ask the vet when it will be safe to worm them both again. 

Oh the joys of being a cat slave.   :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2015, 00:56:25 AM »
Oh dear  :sick: :sick:

I know there are diffferent types of worms and dont know if panacur does all, doesnt sound like a tape worm cos they are segmented.

It sounds likes its started to work but suggest you ring your vet tomorrow and ask him about more meds, is it the meds working, does Beau need meds too , can one catch off the other, where could he have got it from etc. When seeing the last pictures of the two of them thought that Beau had caught Chester up in the growth stakes and this could be the reason.

Sorry I dont know the answer myself

Good luck and yes I think thats the proble,

• Hero Cat
« Reply #480 on: November 16, 2015, 23:47:52 PM »
So it seems we have found the cause of Chesters problems. He's just passed a wriggling worm (I feel a bit sick!)

It's been so many years since I dealt with worms, does this mean the panacur is finally working? Or does he need more? (today was his last dose)

I better get some more for Beau as we just couldn't get the stuff into him! Is he likely to have them if Chester does?

• Hero Cat
« Reply #479 on: November 16, 2015, 19:35:22 PM »
Awww  :Luv:

I am on poo watch at the moment too with Mosi.  He's on pro-kolin+ and today I have sausages in the tray  ;) ;D

Too much offal can upset tummies esp kittens
So glad it's working for Mosi! That's what Chesters on too Susanne.

The vet told me to give him it for 3 days so that was up this morning. But there's a couple of doses left so I'm not sure whether to just finish it off. Can't do any harm can it?

He had an almost solid poo tonight which was a normal colour. There's still a little blood in it though, which is a worry.

Link to CatChat