Author Topic: Waltham Forest Cats (London UK)  (Read 167818 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Waltham Forest Cats (London UK)
« Reply #1035 on: August 09, 2017, 23:56:10 PM »
Sheila, I can't say how proud I am for you, of all you have achieved and I will continue to support in my small way. I am so glad that you saw fit to gift me with three of the cats that enrich my life every day. Tad will continue to be a shining star. If there is a heaven, I am sure that she will be looking down with a big grin. ;D

Thank you so much from me, mine and all the other kitties that you and your staff and volunteers help on a daily basis. :blow kiss: :blow kiss: :blow kiss:

Paula xxx
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #1034 on: August 09, 2017, 23:45:58 PM »
Evening all   ;D

Just a quickie tonight, I can see Rosella is flying my flag while I scrape poop off my shoes. Thank you my friend.  :thanks:

Today marks a bit of an historic milestone for me. 31 Years in the civil service. That's a thankless billet I'll tell you.  :doh:

The two years I've spent in rescue have been the most gratifying of my life, albeit voluntary, unpaid, work it is the most rewarding and addictive thing I've ever done.  ;D Knocks the "real" job into a cocked hat.
For that reason I've decided to make some changes in my life, and I'd like you all to know about them.

Firstly, I've decided to take a year off work  :naughty:

Secondly I'm moving house, to a bigger place with more land, more room to make this Rescue really thrive and achieve the standards I know can so easily drop without the required space.  :make difference:

Thirdly I'm growing this branch to include more volunteers to take some of the strain off the core team. Our statistics say more than I can... we lost three newborn kittens and Jet, and two very very sick little lads. Everyone else made it... look

Adopted 62
Died in Care 3 (newborns)
Still Born 1
Left care (TNR) 53
Transferred to adoption centres 130
Euthanised 3 (Jet, Fred, Patch)
Cats in care 34

Total from Jan 1st 2017 = 286.
Our target for 2017? 240 for the entire year.

I think you can safely say we're doing Tad Davis proud.

Thank you all so much for the continuing support  :catluv: If you follow along on Waltham Forest Cats FB page we sometimes get the time to rehome our own cats and kittens, and if that's the case, this is where you'll see them.
Otherwise, as you can see from the figures above, our amazing helpers at the adoption centres provide a sterling service and you can check them out at our Mitcham and North London centres.

So, providing we don't all succumb to the nuclear cloud this week, I'm very pleased with where we are heading.   ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1033 on: July 23, 2017, 21:15:23 PM »

I would like to add that FB seems utterly useless at giving advice on cat illnesses, behaviour and care.  Just saying. ..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 16:08:26 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1032 on: July 23, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
That's a good point, Desley. 

Facebook does seem to be the way most Rescues get their cats out there, and webpages dont seem to work so well.  Am not on Facebook either, but check out two or three Rescue site on FB most weeks, whereas find many of the Shelter webpages are seldom up to date.

Cleaning out and feeding are what keep things ticking over at the important end - ask the cats if you don't believe that.   :) :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1031 on: July 23, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
It's still an important function Paula. I just think times have changed - when I first started 13 years ago, not all rescues had a website, and every one I got involved with I persuaded to use CatChat. Now everyone has a website, but they are rarely used, Facebook is the place most people go to look (even I look at half a dozen Facebook pages a day, and I'm not on Facebook), but whereas a website just needs updating when new animals come in, Facebook needs every other day at the least. It is handy for events and appeals though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #1030 on: July 23, 2017, 00:04:53 AM »
I suppose I was at the bottom end of the rescue, cleaning out and feeding the cats, chickens, guinea pigs, bunnies, and mucking out and grooming the donkey, and the two miniature horses. She only took in small dogs and she looked after them.  I apologise.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1029 on: July 22, 2017, 22:07:33 PM »
Another thing to remember is the more fosterers you get, the more time you spend checking they have everything they need, that the cats are OK, and the more cats, the more you need to remember about when trying to get the right homes for them, plus more time spent doing home visits and vet visits, never mind more fundraising needed to pay for it all, and that's something I struggled with.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1028 on: July 22, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
It does, and also good support. Sadly that was one of the reasons I left CP. The worst thing for me is that 13 years later, it isn't getting any better. :Crazy:
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1027 on: July 22, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »

I think it takes a real strength of character Desley to avoid crumpling up emotionally. I was so relieved yesterday to find that Lucky the ginger cat is in safe hands as I didn't sleep a wink on Thursday night worrying about him and can't imagine facing that situation regularly  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1026 on: July 22, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »
It can be soul destroying when you are constantly turning people down and feeling dreadful for the ones you can't help, plus being shouted at by people because you've said no. I didn't end many days in tears, but it really affected me sleeping, the constant worry of what would happen to some of the cats, and trying to think of ways to home more cats, or get more volunteers.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1025 on: July 22, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »

Not to mention trying to post when you have cats and kittens climbing all over you trying to get your attention. ... as Popeye is doing atm  ;)

Seriously though it is a constant never ending juggling of priorities that must be utterly soul destroying at times.  The feelings of guilt at not keeping up with those financially supporting you as you are battling against bureaucracy, ignorance, lack of funds and trying to keep your happy face on to encourage the best outcomes for the cats and kittens ..... all the time trying to keep your home life on track.  I do wonder how many rescuers end a lot of their days in floods of tears at the cruelty they've witnessed that day .....   

I couldn't do it.  The FB pages that WFC (and other rescues) have work brilliantly at finding homes so that simply has to be on Sheilas priority list.  It's just a fact of life now.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:33:32 AM by Rosella moggy »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1024 on: July 22, 2017, 08:05:30 AM »
It isn't that easy unfortunately Paula, the amount of times I realised something I meant to do just after I'd shut the computer down and needed to get onto the next thing was ridiculous. Sheila herself hasn't had the time to do this, it's because R contacted her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1023 on: July 21, 2017, 23:21:58 PM »
Please feel free to shoot me down in flames if you think I am out of order, BUT, if the other rescues had bothered to explain that they were so overwhelmed that they didn't have time to post as Rosella has done for Sheila, perhaps people would feel more kindly towards them.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1022 on: July 21, 2017, 13:39:10 PM »
So glad they are coping, it is never ending and frustrating when people don't understand the pressure you are under
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1021 on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
Thanks Rosella, I couldn't put it better than Dawn and Sue, sending Sheila my love.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1020 on: July 21, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
I miss her posts too.  Wish we could all be her volunteers too.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1019 on: July 21, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
I do miss her posting, her energy was amazing, however I think we all understand how hard it must be to keep up no idea how she fits a home life in as well

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1018 on: July 21, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »
Rosella, thanks so much for the update.   :hug: :hug:

It's so easy to lose track of the time that rescue volunteers devote to the cats in their care. 

One of the rescues near us who do a first rate job in taking care of the cats which threaten to burst their shelters at the seams nonetheless comes in for some stick from people when they "don't answer their emails/calls within seconds."  Snide comments and testy responses get posted on their facebook and twitter feeds from people who clearly haven't a clue how rescue works at the sharp end. 

Sheila will always have a home here with us.   :Luv: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1017 on: July 21, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »

I contacted Sheila last week as I could see on FB that her team were trying to find loving homes for 19 kittens.  I swear the woman is a marvel.

She asked me to send her apologies to Purrs peeps and said how much they are all missing Tad.  They are performing amazingly well despite lack of support and new folk coming in.  She fully understands the reasons rescues stop posting due to all consuming nature of the ride she's on.  She asked me to send her regards to all and let everyone know WFC is thriving.  "You know I love Purrs and that's where my passion was aroused" but she's having to fight on so many fronts to keep things afloat she just cannot spare any time for updates atm 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:17:37 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1016 on: June 30, 2017, 23:02:23 PM »
Sorry, that has made me cry, I haven't seen it before, but what a fitting tribute to the wonderful person that Tad was. I do hope, that as well as these things can go, it did.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1015 on: June 30, 2017, 05:50:18 AM »
Sheila, thinking of you and of Tad, and all the people she's encouraged and inspired to follow her example and beliefs - that a certain toughness of spirit can be married to kindness and compassion.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #1014 on: June 29, 2017, 20:38:00 PM »
I've read that before Rosella but it always makes me cry  :'( :'( So beautiful and very appropriate for Tad.
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1013 on: June 29, 2017, 17:08:00 PM »
29 kittens!!!  Wow.   And me also briefing those sentiments

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #1012 on: June 29, 2017, 17:01:22 PM »
I hope all goes well for Tad's send off tomorrow Sheila. 

I know it will be the saddest of days for all who knew and loved her but am sure everyone will do their best to celebrate the love and compassion that she packed into her lifetime  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can see on FB that the team have their hands full with 29 kittens!!!! Don't know how you cope Mrs  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Seconded  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1011 on: June 29, 2017, 16:00:03 PM »
I hope all goes well for Tad's send off tomorrow Sheila. 

I know it will be the saddest of days for all who knew and loved her but am sure everyone will do their best to celebrate the love and compassion that she packed into her lifetime  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can see on FB that the team have their hands full with 29 kittens!!!! Don't know how you cope Mrs  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #1010 on: June 28, 2017, 16:38:46 PM »
Oh my Gods, Rosella.  That has me in bits.  How apt and fitting, as you say.  :'( :'(

Me too!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1009 on: June 28, 2017, 08:31:16 AM »
Oh my Gods, Rosella.  That has me in bits.  How apt and fitting, as you say.  :'( :'(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1008 on: June 28, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »

Just came across this posted on WFCP FB page and seems so appropriate.

The Rescuer's Final Reward (Benny Archuleta)

Unlike most days at the Rainbow Bridge, this day dawned cold and gray.  All the recent arrivals at the Bridge did not know what to think, as they had never seen such a day. But the animals who had been waiting longer for their beloved people to accompany them across the Bridge knew what was happening, and they began to gather at the pathway leading to the Bridge.

Soon an elderly dog came into view, head hung low and tail dragging.  He approached slowly, and though he showed no sign of injury or illness, he was in great emotional pain. Unlike the animals gathered along the pathway, he had not been restored to youth and vigor upon arriving at the Bridge. He felt out of place, and wanted only to cross over and find happiness.

But as he approached the Bridge, his way was barred by an angel, who apologized and explained that the tired and broken-spirited old dog could not cross over. Only those animals accompanied by their people were allowed to cross the Bridge. Having nobody, and with nowhere else to turn, the dog trudged into the field in front of the Bridge.

There he found others like himself, elderly or infirm, sad and discouraged. Unlike the other animals waiting to cross the Bridge, these animals were not running or playing. They simply were lying in the grass, staring forlornly at the pathway across the Rainbow Bridge. The old dog took his place among them, watching the pathway and waiting.yet not knowing for what he was waiting.

One of the newer dogs at the Bridge asked a cat who had been there longer to explain what was happening. The cat replied, "Those poor animals were abandoned, turned away, or left at rescue places, but never found a home on earth. They all passed on with only the love of a rescuer to comfort them. Because they had no people to love them, they have nobody to escort them across the Rainbow Bridge."

The dog asked the cat, "So what will happen to those animals?" Before the cat could answer, the clouds began to part and the cold turned to
bright sunshine. The cat replied, "Watch, and you will see."

In the distance was a single person, and as he approached the Bridge the old, infirm and sad animals in the field were bathed in a golden light. They were at once made young and healthy, and stood to see what their fate
would be. The animals who had previously gathered at the pathway bowed their heads as the person approached. At each bowed head, the person offered a scratch or hug. One by one, the now youthful and healthy animals
from the field fell into line behind the person. Together, they walked across the Rainbow Bridge to a future of happiness and unquestioned love.

The dog asked the cat, "What just happened?"

The cat responded, "That was a rescuer. The animals gathered along the pathway bowing in respect were those who had found their forever homes because of rescuers. They will cross over when their people arrive at the Bridge. The arrival here of a rescuer is a great and solemn event, and as a tribute they are permitted to perform one final act of rescue. They are allowed to escort all those poor animals they couldn't place on earth across the Rainbow Bridge."

The dog thought for a moment, then said, "I like rescuers." The cat smiled and replied, "So does heaven, my friend. So does heaven."

RIP Tad.  Beautiful lady  :'( :'(

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:58:11 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1007 on: June 25, 2017, 21:34:21 PM »
  I assumed Sheila meant June as she said Friday and 30 June is a Friday  :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1006 on: June 25, 2017, 19:56:31 PM »
Beautiful babies!  :Luv2:

Sheila, do you really mean that Tad's funeral is 30th July? Or should that be June?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1005 on: June 24, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »

Am so sad for your loss Sheila but Tad would be delighted that WFCP will be attending next Fridays service in uniform.  It will doubtless be a very special service for one very special lady.

The babies are beautiful as ever  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:  Thank you for all you do Sheila  :hug: :hug:

I was just interrupted by a bang from the kitchen where Popeye had found the Temptations that I had stupidly left on worktop.  Naturally he felt he should share and scattered them all over the kitchen.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1004 on: June 24, 2017, 08:18:25 AM »
Thank you everyone.

Tads funeral is Friday 30th July at 1215 at City of London cemetery, Aldersbrook, London. We will be wearing the uniform Tad was so proud of.

Life goes on, and the kittens are, as expected, pouring out from under garden shrubberies everywhere we look. Here's Pob and Ditzy for your delectation. Pob is the image of Jet, I adore her.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1003 on: June 21, 2017, 23:43:24 PM »
Rosella and Lyn put it far better than I could. I can only echo their thoughts.

Play hard on The Bridge Jet.

And as Sue says, you will be met with the clowder of cats Tad. You were fantastic. :wow:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1002 on: June 21, 2017, 21:52:17 PM »
SO VERY SORRY SHEILA AND CANT EXPRESS THE HURT AND PAIN YOU MUST BE FEELING.

RIP TAD AND JET ONE OF THE VERY GOOD GUYS IN THIS WORLD

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1001 on: June 20, 2017, 13:01:12 PM »
So sorry to hear this Sheila, I know how hard it is to lose such an integral part of the group, I do hope you can all continue her legacy.  So sorry to hear about Jet as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1000 on: June 20, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »
So sorry to hear that both Tad and Jet have left us  :'(

Tad has made more of a difference to this world than many of us could ever hope to, even if we lived for a 100 years. I hope she and her beloved cats are now free of pain and fear.

Sending my sympathy to everyone who knew and loved Tad - and Jet.

:candle:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #999 on: June 20, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear this, she leaves a legacy that most of us can only dream of  :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #998 on: June 20, 2017, 05:37:30 AM »
For Tad, and for Jet, our love will speed you home.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #997 on: June 19, 2017, 23:51:53 PM »
Thank you Rosella. I can barely see.

Poor Jet also went to Rainbow Bridge today, they will cross hand in paw.

RIP my beauties, loved and adored by all who knew you. Xx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #996 on: June 19, 2017, 23:24:05 PM »
such a sad loss

so many people and so many cats have cause to celebrate her life and mourn her passing - she will be sorely missed
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat