Author Topic: Waltham Forest Cats (London UK)  (Read 167815 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Waltham Forest Cats (London UK)
« Reply #1075 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »
Lovely to hear how things are going Sheila, and hoping all goes very smoothly now with the move to Essex.   :hug: :hug:

Hats off to Caz with her Herculean efforts and to Mark, Marina, Phil, Ruth, Tracey, Raewyn, Charlie, Sally and Pam too.  Lovely to hear is adoption day, and with kittens that cute, am not surprised they'e flying out of the door.   ;D ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #1074 on: September 17, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
With thanks to my amazing PR machine, Rosella, I can finally get five minutes to update on the shenanigans at WFC.

It's been a dreary month, brightened by the kittens in our care and the lovely folk helping to support this Rescue.

I rarely mention volunteers by name, as they're all pretty amazing, but this month I'm saluting our Treasurer Caz who has gritted her teeth and learned the finance side. This week we had a training session in Gift Aid and it turns out our donations haven't been recorded properly, so she's re-doing all the gift aid donations received to date. Don't worry, we have your details if this is you, kind donor, and Caz is determined (very) to get this right.
Knowing how strap we are for trap and transport volunteers, Caz also pulled on her gardening gloves and has been single handedly trapping and neutering a colony that has been uncovered right in her doorstep. She's done a fantastic job here too, despite me putting the brakes on her efforts from time to time as we run out of space/steam.

Well done, Caz, you're a superstar.

It's getting to that time when things naturally should be slowing down for us, but with 46 cats and kittens still in care it seems never ending. However with my house move to Essex now imminent and Mark on holiday, our new secretary retiring to the country it's time to wind things down to a more relaxed pace.

My application for a years career break is under consideration, I expect this will be granted, so there's finally time. Time to reflect, consider and plan. Time to regroup, refresh and renew.

I'm as excited about the future of WFC as much as my own, and with the support of people like Caz and Mark, Marina, Phil, Ruth, Tracey, Raewyn, Charlie, Sally and Pam, and with our Purrs pals cheering us on, we will find a happy balance in the coming years.

Today is adoption day, with four beautiful kittens ready to go, it's a wonderful way to spend a Sunday.

Here's Ted, Toast and Freya for your delectation.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 14:00:23 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: buttonchops, jeronimo, symphony, tenini, montymunchkin
« Reply #1073 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
hope the move goes well and sending cuddles for Ivana

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #1072 on: September 12, 2017, 20:03:02 PM »
So glad Ivana has joined the Tufty club and will have the best Mum for the rest of her life, hoping the move goes well and that things can move a pace as knowing Sheila she has the whole thing mapped out to a schedule and woe betide the folks who upset the schedule x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #1071 on: September 12, 2017, 14:24:33 PM »
Thanks for the update. I am soooo glad that Ivana has become a member of the Tufty club,may she live long and prosper!  :briggin:

Sheila, I do hope that you get good news today so that you can get on and put your schemes into action.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #1070 on: September 12, 2017, 14:13:45 PM »

(I know, I know - am meant to be working, but my mind is wandering about on its own again.....  :shify:)

Noooh, you don't mean to say you let it out on it's own do you? It may never find it's way home! :rofl:

Seriously, wonderful new for Ivana. I hope that the move progresses swiftly for Sheila. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1069 on: September 12, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »

All I know is a bigger place with more land Dawn.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1068 on: September 12, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »
great news for Ivana - is Sheila leaving London?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1067 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »
hope Sheila gets some good news today, and lucky Ivana. Volunteers are tricky, if you are lucky to get some young ones, life gets in the way at some point, if you get retired volunteers, age/health gets in the way at some point. It's harder for CP, with changing everything electronic, it's hard for someone computer literate
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1066 on: September 12, 2017, 11:40:49 AM »
Great update - way to go Sheila - Ivana deserved a great home, and where better than with you!   ;D

Hope the house move goes through in good time.

Thanks for the news Rosella.

(I know, I know - am meant to be working, but my mind is wandering about on its own again.....  :shify:)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1065 on: September 12, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »
Just updating on behalf of our own superwoman, Sheila of WFC (still London UK for the time being  :(  but hopefully not for long  :wow: )

She is still waiting for contracts to move house as searches outstanding from vendors and then planning permission to be applied for.  Very frustrating as she is itching to get on with her future plans.  She is hoping for positive news today.

She has invited Ivana into the Tufty Club so she is staying put,  wobbling about with her funny little squint and wobbly legs  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: 

Rescuewise there are 40 cats in care at WFC this minute, with a £6k vet bill for the last 2 months alone.

There's been loads of poorly cats in that needed vet care, but only one really sick cat thankfully, Snowy has pulled through despite losing her tail to a horrible case of sepsis. Fabulously our Sheila managed to rehome her last night to a wonderful family who adore her.  Worth every penny of almost 1.5k she cost to fix. 

Keeping volunteers is proving tricky ....  as soon as one person is trained up for their role, life intervenes.  Rescues needs crazy old cat ladies who want to clean up poo in their spare time but most volunteers are family women with other pressures.  All the same WFC and its fabulous volunteers keep on truckin  :wow: :wow:

Loves ya Sheila  :cuddle:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:57:14 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1064 on: September 05, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
Just checked and I still not arrived, PW can you double check the address info@walthamforest.cats.org.uk

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1063 on: September 04, 2017, 20:34:55 PM »
e-mail sent

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1062 on: September 04, 2017, 09:37:17 AM »
Morning all, thanks for the heads up Judecat!

Pandorawarlord - Ivana is probably over 10 years old, FIV positive and has a heart murmur. Bless her, she loves to sneak around the place avoiding people at all costs, but if you corner her she eventually submits to a chin rub and then you can progress round to her back. I don't think she will ever make lapcat status, but I find her utterly charming despite her tatty looks and evasive ways.

You can always get me here ...

Info@walthamforest.cats.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1061 on: September 04, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
if you are VERY interested in how she is doing you might want to contact Sheila another way, she doesn't come on very much and imagine with the house move even less  ;)

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1060 on: September 03, 2017, 20:17:52 PM »
any news on Ivana

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1059 on: August 30, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
she is lovely hope she gets a home soon x

Offline pandorawarlord

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1058 on: August 29, 2017, 21:29:03 PM »
what beautiful cat Ivana is , how old is ?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1057 on: August 21, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »
Heartbreaking story about Ivana, bless her paws.  How could people see her in that state and not move to help her?  Ignorant idiots.  >:( >:(  I find it deeply offensive that they'd even give her such a nickname. 

And the mother cat an her two daughters. You couldn't make it up, could you?! 

Am hoping someone can take Ivana, Sheila.  She deserves to have a loving and safe place to rest her bones after everything she's been through. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #1056 on: August 20, 2017, 22:16:37 PM »
I saw a comedy spot a few years back that said that people are getting thicker as like calls to like and intelligent people tend to have fewer children as they expect to pay for them themselves. At the time I laughed, now I am not so sure. :'(

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1055 on: August 20, 2017, 21:08:02 PM »
Call today from Hackney. Could we take in Mum plus three 6 month old kittens?

Why?

Cos they're girls and they get pregnant.

We can neuter them for you, free of charge.

No, we don't "do" neutering. We want to adopt a boy instead.

All our boys are already neutered, so you cant adopt from us.

Oh, but that's OK, if its a boy.

WTFFFF?

sorry excuse my FFs.

Needless to saym the 4 females are in my care tonight. Hmmmmmmmm.  :shify:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1054 on: August 20, 2017, 17:41:08 PM »
I actually think that she is very pretty, but I do have a tortie soft spot. If I only could.........

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #1053 on: August 20, 2017, 17:01:44 PM »
Bless Ivana! I really hope you manage to find her a loving home. I'm afraid the space under my bed is currently being inhabited by Sky!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1052 on: August 19, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »
Good news about the hoarder situation, glad you have found somewhere for them. Good luck with little Ivana
Please spay your cat

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1051 on: August 19, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
This little lass is Ivana. We renamed her, the locals had named her Rugrat because of the rug she was carrying around on her back. None of them thought to get her to a vet. The Matt weighed 180g and she couldn't move her legs as they were tied to her belly with knots. Must have been so painful. She's been living under my bed since we shaved those rugs off, waiting for her fur and confidence to regrow. She still walks funny, and teeters a bit, but despite her FIV and coming down with the flu when we brought her in and took her rotten teeth out, this sad old girl is finally rallying. She loves a good rub round her head and back, and although she's not the prettiest gurlcat she's certainly one of the bravest.

If anyone wants to offer sanctuary to this harmless yet very fulfilling old lady please get in touch, I'm getting her chipped vaccinated this week, and she really needs a home before I move house which may be quite soon.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1050 on: August 19, 2017, 06:49:12 AM »
 :) :) :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1049 on: August 19, 2017, 05:03:23 AM »
Fingers, eyes and toes crossed for you Sheila,I'd cross my legs too, but it makes walking awfully difficult. I hope that your move goes swiftly and easily. It does happen occasionally. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Tad will be looking down and grinning from ear to ear. :Luv:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1048 on: August 19, 2017, 01:27:17 AM »
Well m'dears it's all going smoothly so far. Not exchanged yet but things look positive.

We've finally cleared the hoarder situation, all the semi ferals were extracted today, fiv tested and plans afoot for their relocation. It's been a long road. Me and Tad were first responders in 2005, the first female cat we approved an abortion for was from this colony - not something we were happy or comfortable with - but we were under a different branch then and did what we were told. We named that cat Tracey (Tad's first name). Today we trapped Tracey for the second time... this time because she's going to be set free as we have an amazing relocation opportunity for her, the pals she was born from and of, and the rest of the cats entrapped within that dreadful situation. My sense of regret and satisfaction running high tonight (my goodness, look at the time).

Tomorrow we go fetch the rest - 8 more trapped souls headed for a better life. Fly, my beauties. Fly.  :attention:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1047 on: August 12, 2017, 17:54:04 PM »
They are absolutely beautiful Rosella.

Wishing you all the best for your move as well Sheila. ;D ;D ;D Sorry, I forgot to say in my last post. :doh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #1046 on: August 12, 2017, 05:22:13 AM »
Popeye and Elsa are coming up to 8 months old in a weeks time Sheila. 

Wot can I say Mrs?  We love em dearly and fanks   :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1045 on: August 10, 2017, 17:31:13 PM »
Best of luck with the year off and the move, Sheila.

That's great, Jen - good luck.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #1044 on: August 10, 2017, 17:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the update Sheila. That's a big change but it is clearly well thought through and I'm sure you will do well  :hug:

Jen, how fanatistic  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #1043 on: August 10, 2017, 13:47:37 PM »
Kudos Sheila for the job holiday but think you will be busier than ever and good luck with the move, more cats will be cared for and you will be run ragged x

Good luck Jen a very worthwhile career change and hoping all is well with you all x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1042 on: August 10, 2017, 13:10:09 PM »
oh Sheila best of luck with the move and the year off!  are you still staying in the same area?  I'm amazed at everything you do, tilly (now charlee) who the girl at my work took is thriving, I hear stories about her most days and she is loving her life by the sound of it, still doesn't go out but imagine she had quite enough of that before you took her! she even has a pink chest with princess written on it for her toys  ;D

well done jen, its something I always fancied

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1041 on: August 10, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
Wow Sheila!! Good luck with all your plans, including finding more volunteers, one of the harder parts of voluntary work, especially with CP’s new system.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1040 on: August 10, 2017, 10:52:43 AM »
Well done Jen, I think that is just brilliant. :wow:

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #1039 on: August 10, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »
Congratulations on such a wonderful achievement  :hug: Wishing you all the best for an amazing future :)
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1038 on: August 10, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
Oh wow, Jen - how fantastic!!!   Well done you, as well.   :hug: :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #1037 on: August 10, 2017, 06:48:24 AM »
Wow, that's amazing and a huge well done!
Likewise I am also proud to have had the opportunity to take on Mr Bruce, who is an absolute treasure.
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
All going well I should be a qualified veterinary nurse in 2 years time and be able to offer my services to help out.  :Crazy: All going well of course...
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1036 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:30 AM »
Cheering myself hoarse here on your behalf, Sheila.    :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :yayyy: :narna dance: :cheer:  I just know this is going to go from strength to strength.

Link to CatChat