Author Topic: Lupin the geordie kitten, with attitude!  (Read 22921 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: I have to go up north
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 22:48:05 PM »
I do hope he is a good travellor!

He comes with a covered litter tray as one of his wordly possesions plus two metal bowls!

Not a toy or anything  :(

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2011, 22:44:19 PM »
I've been called many things but never an angel! Anyway, it's not what comes out of the front end that worries me.  It's the other side if he's as bad a traveller as my Robbie....... :sick:

It's still going to be a long journey for Gill but will be easier if you don't have to drive the whole journey yourself.  Just hope the traffic and weather is kind.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2011, 19:10:06 PM »
You're the Angel of the North Karen  :hug: How appropriate!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 18:56:16 PM »
Karen is my angel and yes I hope he doesnt sing all the way too lol, Both Ducha and Napoleon were singers and Ducha could keep it up for 25 miles non-stop.........sigh

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 18:19:28 PM »
what a very kind offer from Karen -I'm sure it will make a huge difference - lets hope he doesn't sing all the way

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2011, 16:35:16 PM »
I will be fine Kirst and if I am forced to stop I will but hoping to be home around 2100  ;D

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2011, 16:32:00 PM »
Gill , i know how much you worry about Ducha , but please condsider this. He would survive quite easily for 24 hrs on his own. He might not like it and you may worry like hell , but if he was shut in , he would survive. How long he would last if you were suddenly not here anymore is another matter. Amd a drive of 14 hours+ with no decent rest puts you at a very high risk of not being here any more. :(

I know how important Storm , and all your other cats are to you and I fully sympathise , but they depend on you and you MUST take car of yourself first and foremost.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2011, 16:24:31 PM »
Hope you have Feliway plugged in a some Zylkene and rescue remedy to help all with the transition and that you have a nice isolation area for the new boy so yours still feel safe in their home
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 16:20:31 PM »
Angie, thanks  but I need to go and get the cat but thanks very much for the offer. I also have the offer of stop of point closer to home off M5 but am hoping with Karen doing the driving from M6 to Newcastle and back that will allow me to get all way back home.

I think Karen (sootyca) and I have it sorted now, well my email only just sent cos internet speed dropped to nil.....sigh.

Karen used Google and I have used AA and am hoping the AA timing is about right, certainly is to birmingham but of course stops and traffic affect everything.

It was Leonie who was the problem Liz, but didnt know that till she got to Lau. Also her age was a lot older than the vet here believed or the vet at Laus end, she is just a very small cat. She is great with people but a firey hisspot with other cats, although she is now in love with Jonny at Laus. She is very possive of a room and thinks that if she is in a room it belongs to her and nobody else.

My head and heart wants Lupinbud but that depends if he is as described and not looking like he is unhealthy............its a big unknown, hence the other option.

Obviously like anyone else I have no idea how my cats will react but thats another reason to get a birman, which have the right characteristics to stand a chance with my cats and the reason that I wanted to be sure that he had papers and was a full pedigree birman as I know the kitten is too.

I have done so much work on this to be as sure as I could it was worth making the journey.

Vet appointment booked for Friday and hope he can be neutered on Monday, dont think they would do it on Sat.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 15:20:17 PM »
Gill I find it a bit upsetting that if Storm is not right for you you would consider a kitten after not coping with the adults and Leonie earlier this year and with Ducha needing such attention = a kitten requires more than attention that an youngish cat so I hope you are thinking with your head and not what your heart desires, its a very long journey even with folks helping if its not right
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 14:06:56 PM »
Bear in mind that google maps tend to underestimate the journey time.  I travelled to nuneaton recently and whilst I just about did it in the time they said, it was on a saturday morning with light traffic and I exceeded the speed limit considerably!

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 13:49:29 PM »
is there an option of overnighting said cat or do you need to go to fetch gill?
I would be happy to act as a meeting place/swap over place if it will help though now I am working, my availability to transport is restricted. CV5 9FD - handy for M6, M1, M42 and M40 in that order.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2011, 13:17:12 PM »
Thanks Karen, will try and pm you the links from AA......dont know if it will work

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
How about you drive up M6, leave car at Lymm interchange (M6/M56 and can be accessed both north and southbound but you would need to check how much it would cost as most only give you 2 hours free) and then change over and I will do M6 - M62 - M1.  It says it will be 7hrs 11 on googlemaps (can't get the other one to work).  The route you were going originally on googlemaps will be 6hrs 28 so it isn't much different.  I've asked at work - the time for me to get to Newcastle should only be 2.5 hours (depending on traffic).

Something to think about.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
My journey is m4, m5, round birminham on the east side and then M1/A1(M) all the way to south of Newcastle and if anyone along the route NE of Birmingham could drive me to Newcastle and back and is happy to use the route all motorways then I would consider that. :innocent:

If any peeps could help by driving you from NE Birmingham to Newcastle that would be a good option Gill  :hug:

PS Sorry and back again :hug:.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:08:27 PM by Edd »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
Thank you all for being so concerned but I really want to see the cat and if he is not as described to me or not seemimgly healthy, I will not be bringing him back but there is a back up position already set up.

The breeder of Lupinbud(Strorm) has a 13 week old kitten and she lives 20 mins from owner and has said that I can have him as he cannot be used for breeding or showing.

I do not know anyone who could feed Ducha cos it would not be  just trying to find one at this late point but also that they would need to come in frequently and that would scare my two moggies cos they hate people.

My route is well planned, someone has kindly done that for me and the offer of help I so kindly had was from the west, manchester way which is why I was forced to turn it down and they were willing for me to leave my car at theirs and then drive me up to get the cat and drive me back again.

The sad part was that it would add about 4 hours to my journey and that made it a non-runner.

My journey is m4, m5, round birminham on the east side and then M1/A1(M) all the way to south of Newcastle and if anyone along the route NE of Birmingham could drive me to Newcastle and back and is happy to use the route all motorways then I would consider that. :innocent:

The essence of the journey is as fast as possible  ;) ;), safety,stopping for loo stops often LOL, and for me to stay awake and eat.

I am not going to take risks but this is my one and only shot of getting a very young adult cat with papers as the breeder is going to do me a new set as owner says she doesnt have them.

I dont have any trains near me and I cant balance on a moving platform like a train so would not be able to get to the loo, but the journey would be long and tortureous with too much walking, carrying and changes with probs parking cos I would have to drive to at least Swansea and parking is a nightmare...........actually its not even a runner cos could not get close to where the owner lives.

This has all been well thought through and driving is the only option.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »
Gill

I have been following this post and I am so so worried for you driving that far and back in one day.

Is there is any alternative - I looked at plane and train routes but they do not seem possible.

- Could a transport run to be set up to get the cat to you - Are you really going to go all that way and then not take him? If someone you know from Purrs was the 1st pick up they could do all the necessary checks you may like.

- If a transport run could not be arranged, perhaps as someone has suggested an animal transporter. I would be more than happy to contribute towards any costs.

- The other alternative is to leave the cats for 24 hours - get up to newcastle, stay in a hotel and come back the next day - maybe you could go by train and a transport run could bring you back - that way you are able to look after the cat on the journey. Although I understand your reluctance because of the cats at home. Again I would help with any costs

So worried about you driving so far as you can see from this thread are others - can we look at alternatives to you driving up and back in one day - please  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:16:29 AM by Edd »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »
could a catsitter come in and feed ducha?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 00:02:59 AM »
I cant leave Ducha for 24hrs, thats the problem, he has hardly eaten today as it is.

I have to meet the cat before I decide whether to take it cos the angel did offer to go get him for me and bring part way back.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 23:38:41 PM »
at the risk of upsetting Gill I have told her by pm what I suspect most of you have been thinking - that at her age and her state of health driving from West Wales to Newcastle and back on her own without stopping, and with a young cat who she knows nothing about on the return journey, is more than unsafe

the answer I think is to book a professional animal transporter to bring this little lad to her door, and to hell with the cost
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 20:38:31 PM »
I'm really pleased that you've found the right cat for you BUT....

Attempting to drive there and back in one day on your own is really not safe  :shy: :hug: The return journey is long enough as it is but what if you get lost, there are roadworks etc etc

If the cats at home can be left for 24 hours why don't you consider setting off at midday to get there early evening, find somewhere to have something to eat, go and collect him and then check into a travel lodge (which allow pets). Set off early morning to arrive back home for midday-ish.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 18:31:38 PM »
Sadly not a runner cos it will add 4hrs or more to my journey and just want to thank the generous Angel who offered to drive me the last part of the journey but sadly the start point was on the wrong side of country.

Such a wonderful offer, thank you so much  :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 18:59:23 PM »
A possible option has opened from a very kind Angel but wont know till Monday whethere its a runner  :shify: :shify:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 18:57:56 PM »
 :(
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 17:34:41 PM »
No on boths counts Stuart  :(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 17:30:09 PM »
your doing the journey all in one day  :shocked: I didn't realise  :doh:
is there no one to look after Ducha for one night ???
or couldn't the people meet you half way ??

:scared:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 17:04:10 PM »
Yes I will be using those but the air still gets in and that affects the food.

I am being loaned two which I collect on Tuesday so apart from them being digital, I am not sure what they are like.......mine are very very old and all shot up.

Thanks cazzer

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 16:57:59 PM »
Gill just a thought but what about an automatic food dispenser?       You can put ice cubes in them to keep the food fresh.    It does sound like one hell of a journey
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 16:44:30 PM »
Thanks Clare, have to say I am very worried about it but need to get back asap cos of Ducha cos he cant eat biscuits without being sick and the wet food dries up or gets eaten by the moggies.

I feel he is fading away and as birmans are, he is so stuborn!

If I become overwhelmingly tired I will be forced to stop but am hoping to do the journey all in the daylight cos its a long journey for the little boy too.

Will be stopping a lot at sevice stations and just hope its not tooooooo hot but dont need cold or rain either LOL

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
Gill that is a lot of driving in one day,   have you thought about stopping over ?,  I drive a lot daily and I am not sure I could do that journey in one hit,  you need to be very careful as you get tired and you dont realise it,  take care and cant wait to see the pics of the new addition.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 22:13:24 PM »
oops  :doh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 21:53:32 PM »
I dont go until the 30th Stuart but am pleased your journey went well and mine will be seriously more expensive.

Need to get car cleaned and Mr Ford looked at it yesterday so springs OK and have loads of rubber on tyres trying not to think about it at present........sigh

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 21:33:29 PM »
Hope your journey went well Gill   :)

Mine did  ;) although my backside is now a bit Raw  :doh:

got home around 8, would have been home about 5 hr's earlier, but decided to pop in and see
a friend of mine that I have been talking to on the internet for the past 2 years( no not a gurl, a Bloke  :evillaugh: )
he manages and runs the game server for us, so that was good, it did mean a little detour, but then I just thought
I might never be down this way ever again

the bike is running like a Dream  :naughty:

only annoying thing was, there were no seats left = fully booked @ £109 a head, luckily there were a couple of cabins
left so I ended up having to fork out £164 for that 1 way single from Aberdeen - Crewe
what a rip off  >:(

how much for riding the bike home I hear you say ??

a grand total of £45:80 and I still have half a tank left

Ok, bed time now and some well deserved rest for my Bun's  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 21:35:05 PM by Stuart »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 19:34:05 PM »
Well manchester isnt south its just 'home' crewe however is south  ;)

Hope all journeys go well
love
tab

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 15:49:39 PM »
just a bit  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 15:49:08 PM »
I suppose I never think of Manchester as south but for you it definitely is lol!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 15:47:39 PM »
I have to go down south  :evillaugh:

bought another bike off of ebay = 826 mile round trip  :tired:  :doh:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 15:48:44 PM by Stuart »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 15:42:18 PM »
He is just outside Newcastle..................or in the preloved ads LOL

Only place I can look for birmans outside of a kitten from a breeder.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
Oooh how exciting:) Where did you find him?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 19:45:19 PM »
Thank you to Ollie and you and hope it works out

Link to CatChat