Author Topic: Chico UPDATE - Settled in new home!  (Read 74023 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Caught this 'stray' today
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 22:48:17 PM »
Bloomin vets grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Do you have a carpet in the room he is in? Just wonderfing cos when the birmans were in solitary here, the howling was terrible and Franta dug the carpet up under the door and I couldnt get in!

A piece of hardboard slipped across under the door stopped him doing it but then he started scratching........sigh

I had a devil of a job getting in and out of the door cos it would be rushed by both birmans as I opened it and getting out was even worse. :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 22:38:39 PM »
You're famous Gillian  :) :hug: 

Blimey! - in  a good way I hope!  :scared:

Wish he could go in one of the pens in the garden, but a) they're full , and b) neighbours would go ape with the noise!

Bit worried about him actually - he's stressed from being confined and have caught him doing several, frequent, small wees  :scared: Asked vets again today if he could be neutered sooner rather than later, but they are insisting he finishes his course of antibiotics first - so Monday is the earliest  :Crazy: Bit annoyed really as was told on the phone I do realise that an operation will put him under stress and could make his 'Feline Aids' worse  >:( He hasnt got feline aids, he's FIV positive, thats all - and the flippin stress from being confined and un-neutered is probably worse!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 21:20:47 PM »
Ruby has lost her KittyCollar so I rang Marla today for replacement stock and .....

before too long found myself discussing "CatChat", "Purrs", "Sad stories", "Gillian's new stray with the amazing blue eyes", "Gillian Ambercat?" "yes that is she... now involved in fostering, taken in stray who has tested positive for FIV.... installed hoooooge pen in garden"  You're famous Gillian  :) :hug: 

BTW  :hug: :hug: :hug: to mom

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 13:32:07 PM »
Oh yes, he is certainly using the tray - the wee smell permeates the whole house!  :sick: - Chico and I are going to fall out before too long - so much for the quiet little mouse he was the first night - last night he yowled for a lot of the night and its pretty blood curdling at such close quarters (my bedroom is right next to his room)  :tired: He's unsettled and wants out - I can see him thinking, I've had a feed, I've had a rest, thanks, but I'd like to go now.....I don't know who is going to crack first, but I think its going to be me..... :innocent:

He's got a week of antibiotics before he can be neutered, (can't see what difference being on antibiotics make myself) a week of this (he's yowing at the moment again..) help!!!

The coordinator suggested swapping one of the fosters out in the pen (it would have to be Minnie rather than the 3 I think) and putting Chico out there - but thats just going to drive my neighbours crazy too!

Do I detect some uncertainty?   ;)

Nooooo! (especially not after last night LOL!)  :Nooooo:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 08:41:22 AM »
This beautiful chap is on my mind Gillian and I can't wait for the "after" pics when he is all healed up.  I don't suppose there's any chance he is using litter tray already?

I couldnt have another boy here I don't think -

Do I detect some uncertainty?   ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:41:43 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »
IT depends how much blood they take, some vets take enough that if an inhouse test shows positive, they can send a further sample to Glasgow (which is current best practice as inhouse tests do have a 7% chance of showing a false positive, although he does look to be high risk). Vets do charge for processing etc, but I dont think it adds that much onto the price, maybe another £7 (depending on vets of course).

Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 23:30:21 PM »
it means they'll have to take blood again I presume, don't suppose what was drawn today will be able to be used?

Not sure about that. I know they say urine has to be fresh but might be different with blood. My friend Grant used to be a motor bike courier for a pathologists in Harley Street. His mum used to complain as he sometimes kept samples in her fridge overnight  :sick: - I remember him saying there was a bit of Margot Fontayne kept in it once  :sick:  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 22:36:54 PM »
 :thanks: - that doesnt sound too bad though, it means they'll have to take blood again I presume, don't suppose what was drawn today will be able to be used? Maybe they could do it when I take him for neutering - will ask tomorrow.

OK, I'll leave the wound and hope he doesnt scratch too much - think your right about the donut one, and the other type collar wouldnt stop him either. I'm trying distraction at the mo - made him a catnip knotty (out of a face flannel) and he rolled about like a loon  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 19:40:20 PM »
I just checked and Glasgow charge £32 - although I guess vets charge extra for posting etc. I'm sure we could have a little whip round.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 19:36:08 PM »
Best of luck for Chico - the name does suit him  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 19:29:57 PM »
I've always been advised not to bathe the wound once they are on antibiotics unless they are oozing and then only wash it with salt water made from boiled water and sea salt. It would be wise to limit his ability to scratch it, but due to were it is that could be hard. Maybe one of the inflatable doughnut ones would work, but it might just make the wound warm and sweaty which is also bad. A hard one to call.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 18:55:03 PM »
Im so glad hes safe and well, he will look amazing in a few weeks time  :Luv:
Will his test be confirmed, theres always that small chance he isnt, dakotas test misfired which considering the area she came from was a surprise, i felt certain it was right!

I don't know - I've been reading through all the info about FIV tests and its started me thinking too about the chance it could be wrong - probably remote chance though, considering his lifestyle and battle scars.  Also, I'm not sure the trust will pay for another test, but worth an ask  ;)

He's got to finish his course of antibiotics before I can get him in to be neutered, was hoping to do it this week but it'll be next week now.

I meant to ask the vet but forgot - do you think I should keep bathing/cleaning his wound, and if so what with? or should it heal on its own - think he's going to keep scratching at it  :doh:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 18:29:35 PM »
I am just glad he found you Gillian -otherwise he might no have been so lucky !
Glad he is going to be neuted and eventually up for re-homing -i don''t think it will take long for someone to fall for him ! :Luv2: :Luv2:

Hope one of your pens get free soon for him, although i am sure he is quite happy in your grooming room  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 17:38:51 PM »
Im so glad hes safe and well, he will look amazing in a few weeks time  :Luv:
Will his test be confirmed, theres always that small chance he isnt, dakotas test misfired which considering the area she came from was a surprise, i felt certain it was right!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 17:37:01 PM »
what a lucky boy to find you - not surprised he is fiv with wounds like that poor thing - hope he finds a fabulous forever home soon and you get your grooming room back!

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 16:42:08 PM »
That's great news Gillian! Problem with the grooming room tho-hopefully it won't be for too long once people see the gorgeous boy!   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 16:31:44 PM »
Great news that he's to be put up for rehoming as an indoor boy....what a lucky lad to have happened upon your home!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 16:31:57 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 16:30:06 PM »
Just spoken to our coordinator and I can go ahead and have him neutered and once he's all sorted, wounds healed and clean, he can be put up for rehoming as an indoor cat, or catproofed garden etc  :yayyy: :yayyy: - phew what a relief!

Only thing is I'm kind of stuck with him in my grooming room because my pens are full, as are all the other fosters pens and rehoming seems to be at a standstill.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 14:44:59 PM »
Vet just phoned, he's FIV positive  :(

I guessed he would be  :(

Not the end of the world though  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 14:32:34 PM »
Oh poor Chico!  :'(  What will happen to him now?  :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 13:45:58 PM »
He's a lovely looking lad, thank you for taking him in and getting him to the vets  :hug:

Fingers crossed his bloods come back clear and he can find a wonderful forever home (unless of course we see Chico's name at the bottom of your sig in due course  :evillaugh: )

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 13:41:49 PM »
Vet just phoned, he's FIV positive  :(

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 13:19:23 PM »
Hope he makes a brilliant recovery and finds himself a wonderful new home Gillian - I'm very sure that someone would adopt such a lovely handsome lad positive or not.

:hug: :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 13:01:00 PM »
Thanks everyone  :thanks: - he was as quiet as a mouse last night  :Luv: We've been to the vets this morning, vet thought possibly a rodent bite, but I guess we'll never know for sure. Anyway, she's cleaned it up and it looks a lot better for that. He's got antibiotics for a week. She reckons he's older than I'd thought - probably 8yrs plus, poor boy, which is more worrying for his FIV and FelV bloods, the longer he's been out there, I suppose the more likely it is he's going to be positive  :( . I'll know later on today. He wasnt chipped - no surprise there really.

He's a real softie and a bit of a scaredy cat, but was as good as gold getting into the carrier and at the vets. Fingers crossed he's clear, and can be neutered and homed.

:Luv: Gorgeous boy Gillian, well done you. I'm developing rather a soft spot for blue eyed cream boys...  ;)

You and me both LOL! I couldnt have another boy here I don't think - Harry would never forgive me!

Oh - meant to say, I'm calling him Chico, dunno why, it just came to me last night and seemed to fit ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 13:03:56 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
awww bless him Gillian - am SO pleased that you managed to get the wee fella - look forward to updates.

Gentle head rubs from the Harbour crew.

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 12:46:47 PM »
WoW he is stunning. Those wounds look very painful. I hope they heal quickly and he gets to blossom in to the beauty he most obviously is. :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »
 :Luv: Gorgeous boy Gillian, well done you. I'm developing rather a soft spot for blue eyed cream boys...  ;)
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
Poor little man  :'(  but he is certainly a  :Luv: :Luv: one -

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 08:03:28 AM »
Fingers crossed you can get him an appointment today. He is stunning, although not sure he has any pedigree in him though
Please spay your cat

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 07:27:40 AM »
What a gorgeous boy he is Gillian!  :Luv2: Thank goodness you managed to catch him!  :hug:  Everything crossed the tests come back clear!

As Millys Mum says, how these 'tatty, torn toms' survive amazes me too! We had one at work about 18 months ago-he'd been around for a few weeks and then, one day turned up with a massive head wound, like he'd been scalped  :sick:  I called the RSPCA who came straightaway but the Inspector couldn't catch him, so he left a trap. The cat promptly disappeared for 2 weeks and the Inspector came back for the trap. The day after, the cat appeared and all he had to show for the wound was a piece of flesh about the size of a 10p which hadn't healed He only hung around for a couple more days and i never saw him again  :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:57:13 AM »
What a lovely boy and hope he is much happier when he has been treated  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 21:14:32 PM »
What a truly handsome boy. I'd say he's been in a pretty vicious fight, but I could be wrong. He looks a lovely lad. :Luv:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 20:05:45 PM »
I have a real love for tough tatty toms, their drive for survival always amazes me and they make such super pets once neutered  :Luv2: i still strive to catch omalley cat, must be 4 years since we met and 3 since he broke his leg, how he coped with that still to this day eludes me  :(
Does your rescue rehome fiv's? Im sure he would grab a few heart strings, especially with a before/after shot  :Luv:

I think they do rehome fiv's to indoor homes, not sure how that works though - for cats who have always lived a life on the streets  - he's definitely going to be very rehomeable looks wise!   :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 19:54:51 PM »
I have a real love for tough tatty toms, their drive for survival always amazes me and they make such super pets once neutered  :Luv2: i still strive to catch omalley cat, must be 4 years since we met and 3 since he broke his leg, how he coped with that still to this day eludes me  :(
Does your rescue rehome fiv's? Im sure he would grab a few heart strings, especially with a before/after shot  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 19:49:27 PM »
Yep, guess so, perhaps vet will have more idea tomorrow. Isnt it a shame he's had to live like that?,  fighting for everything.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 19:42:43 PM »
An untreated abcess left for weeks would burst and rot like that, hes very lucky not to have maggots in it  :( the amount of scratches on his neck and face certainly leans to full on tom fights, hes no turn tail and run chap!
Funny how they always know when to seek help and where!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 19:36:57 PM »
Looks like more than cat fight injuries. Art least he is in safe hands now  :hug:. I wouldn't even bother advertising him, as if by any remote chance her has owners, he is better off away from them.

You could be right - I emailed the pic of the wound to our coordinator and she thought it looks like he could have been attacked by a dog or fox? There is another wound the other side, nowhere near as bad, but suppose could be where something had a grip on him. The areas around the wounds feel swollen, but he doesnt mind me touching them. He's so passive and purry, he rolls over when you go to stroke him  :Luv2:

I'll try and get him into the vets tomorrow if they've got any appointments. Think I'm going to be kept up all night with his wailing  :Crazy: although he only did it when I first put him in the room, he's been quiet since, but come the night when he'd usually be out and about........

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 19:17:53 PM »
Ahhh bless him ... stunning blue eyes.  He obviously knew you were gonna help him Gillian which is why he didn'y run off.  I'm sure once he's had a bit of TLC and a couple of nights good sleep he'll look alot happier  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 18:49:32 PM »
Hes gorgeous  :Luv2:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 18:10:01 PM »
Oh hell Gillian  :(.  I'm so glad he found you. 

Link to CatChat