Author Topic: Chico UPDATE - Settled in new home!  (Read 73938 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Caught this 'stray' today NEW CHICO PICS!
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2010, 18:57:49 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2010, 18:50:02 PM »
aw, he's such a hunk  :Luv: :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2010, 18:38:01 PM »
Chico: :Luv: What a gorgeous boy! Well done for helping him, Gillian. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2010, 18:36:57 PM »
Chico's wound has healed nicely and all those scratches down his neck and across his face have gone. Its nearly a week since he was neutered and he's much more settled now - plus, he has the run of the upstairs at night (close mine downstairs - much to their disgust!) so he sleeps on the bed  :Luv: Anyway, here's how the wound is looking now

You expect me to play with THIS?!!

I'd much rather play with your fingers!  :evillaugh:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: Caught this 'stray' today
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2010, 00:44:39 AM »
 :Luv: Chico

Had been following the thread on my Blackberry but couldn't see the piccies...he is soooo handsome

Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
Glad he is starting to settle down slightly
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2010, 21:11:11 PM »
Gosh if he wsn't FIV+ I would be tempted - I am sure theres some BSH in him somewhere , and he looks so sad......................... :(

Aw, wish you could have him  :) It would be lovely if he could to someone I know (and I could visit  ;) ) . When I first saw him over a year ago, I also thought BSH colourpoint - but then thought his face is not round enough and more pointy which made me think some Siamese - but that didnt seem quite right either. Could well be some BSH in there somewhere.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2010, 17:31:04 PM »
Gosh if he wsn't FIV+ I would be tempted - I am sure theres some BSH in him somewhere , and he looks so sad......................... :(

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2010, 14:39:16 PM »
I'm sure you'll find the perfect home for him in no time despite the FIV status, he's too 'special' looking not to lure a new set of slaves to their doom mutual appreciation of his singing talents  :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2010, 14:13:45 PM »
Gillian....................................... Just keep him  ;) ;) :hug:

Its not really possible with him being FIV pos  :( not to mention how pee'd off mine would be (remember this is the boy that madam Gwynnie had pinned in the corner or the hallway that time when he made the mistake of coming in the catflap!)

Do you know, there has been a change in him almost overnight! - last night, he did whine a bit (he had the run of upstairs again, while mine were shut downstairs), but then most of the night he was actually cuddled up on the bed - like he'd always lived here!  :shocked: Now I'm going to feel really horrible about moving him to the shed conversion - if it ever gets done  :doh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2010, 00:09:33 AM »
Gillian....................................... Just keep him  ;) ;) :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2010, 23:01:00 PM »
Thanks  :thanks: - and yes, I am shattered  :tired: havent had a proper nights sleep for over a week now, and yet, despite all that.....boy, is he going to be a hard one to let go....... :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »
Gillian, you're an utter star and Chico is being a typical cat and not knowing how lucky he is. ;) :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 07:55:20 AM »
Awww hope he'll start to feel a bit happier (and quieter!) now and that you can get the work done to make a new pen!  :hug: :hug:  You must be shattered!   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »
Fingers crossed he calms down soon.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2010, 23:36:24 PM »
Poor little chap, you are right he didnt think her was asking for all of this  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2010, 23:24:36 PM »
A small pen in the garden ????????? :hug:

I'm working on that!  :shify: Its just, my old shed at the top of my garden is quite a good size, it just needs a new felt roof (theres no felt at all at the mo) and I've got some timber and mesh cat run panels from my old cat run which I thought could be attached to the front to make a run for him too. I could paint it all inside to make it easier to keep clean - I've got all the materials just need someone to do the work. Trouble is, its down to the committee to decide if they can pay for the work (considering what they've just paid out on my pens which are going to need electricity for heating come the winter  :-: ) But he cannot stay where he is - I need my room back and he needs not to be cooped up indoors!

Have just caught up with this Gillian. Poor Chico, he obviously knew where to go for help  :hug: He is drop dead gorgeous - those eyes  :Luv2:

Thanks  :thanks: bet he didnt bargain for all this when he came to me for help LOL!  :evillaugh:

Keep returning for a top up of the yum factor :drool; He isnt deaf is he?

Don't think so - but I sort of wish I was at the moment  :innocent:

Well, he's been neutered today - so we're counting down to being hormone free..... :evillaugh: The past couple of nights I've been closing my lot downstairs so that Chico can have the run of the upstairs, thinking it would give him a bit more freedom....didnt make him any quieter though, just, instead of the noise being concentrated in one area, it was everywhere, up the stairs, down the stairs, up on windowsill, down from windowsill, on the bed, off the bed, up on wardrobe, thump! down from wardrobe.......until around 4 ish in the morning  :tired: Get this though - where do I find him when I get up in the morning? - yes, in the very room he'd been shut in for the past week, I ask you!....... :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2010, 18:56:42 PM »
Keep returning for a top up of the yum factor :drool; He isnt deaf is he?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2010, 00:40:03 AM »
Have just caught up with this Gillian. Poor Chico, he obviously knew where to go for help  :hug: He is drop dead gorgeous - those eyes  :Luv2:

Really hope he can find that special home soon enough  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2010, 00:14:25 AM »
Chico is gorgeous Gillian it certainly is Chico time :rofl: :Luv2: :Luv2:

You do keep saying silly things - so he's gonna have to stay in my grooming rooom (luckily no customers for a week - but he can't stay there forever!)  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: ;) ;) ;) :rofl:

A small pen in the garden ????????? :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2010, 21:38:22 PM »
Just wanted to pop in with some moral support... with the vet/antibiotics thing I would be really worried about him ending up with septicaemia from that big wound,

Does he have a radio in his room? After 8yrs as a Cat of No Fixed Abode he's probably finding the quiet and solitude really weird.

Good point, not really thought about that I must admit - and good idea about a radio  :thanks:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2010, 16:00:00 PM »
Just wanted to pop in with some moral support... with the vet/antibiotics thing I would be really worried about him ending up with septicaemia from that big wound, and some healing time plus antibiotics will bring that risk waaay down. Sory, I know it's still grim having a yowler but at least it helps a bit knowing why you have the wait.

Does he have a radio in his room? After 8yrs as a Cat of No Fixed Abode he's probably finding the quiet and solitude really weird.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2010, 07:22:41 AM »
Gillian, have just re-read this thread, so ignore my comment about 'a secure garden, or even a garden' please! Of course it's got to be a SECURE garden, cos of the FIV!!!   :doh: :doh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2010, 23:04:50 PM »
Thanks for looking that up Rosella -  I'm clinging to what you said about the hormones lessening each day after the op and hoping he forgets his 'learned' behaviour LOL!

Sophisticat antibacterial litter is fantastic for masking unneutered tom cat smell, sorry I have only just remembered that!!! I have been lucky with all my unneutered toms and they have always used the tray with no problem.

He's fine using the tray Des - I was more worried about his 'over use' of the tray, but that seems to be settling thankfully. I'll have a look at the sophisticat antibac litter, thanks.

You can't do anything BUT keep him in Gillian until he's neutered, so don't feel bad about it  :hug:

I know I'm having to be cruel to be kind - but its so hard. The more I think about it the more cross I get about the vet (well not the vet actually - vet nurse) saying he must finish the 7 day course of antibiotics before being neutered - because whats the betting they put him on antibiotics after the op anyway?

Popping on to give you some moral support. (from one person who has a yowly cat to another.... ;))

....... and I'm just popping on to wish you a soothing good night's sleep Gillian  :hug:

Thanks guys!  :thanks: - he's been a bit quieter today, I've had what little was left in a a feliway diffuser going in his room since this morning. I'm sure its made him a bit more chilled - but then he is usually 'fairly' quiet during the day, its just the night.....saying that, I hear someone calling.... :tired:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2010, 22:26:37 PM »
....... and I'm just popping on to wish you a soothing good night's sleep Gillian  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
Popping on to give you some moral support. (from one person who has a yowly cat to another.... ;)) Hope Chico calms down soon. It's frustrating, not to mention stressful but you ARE doing what's best for him. Really hope his perfect home is just around the corner, you sound a little overcrowded!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
That's a shame Gillian. I have always read that it takes up to 6 weeks, but the smell and yucky fur has always died down within 2 weeks. Sophisticat antibacterial litter is fantastic for masking unneutered tom cat smell, sorry I have only just remembered that!!! I have been lucky with all my unneutered toms and they have always used the tray with no problem. Maybe mix some soil with his litter in case he isn't fully used to the litter tray? I would ask the vet to test a urine sample when he is there, just in case the stress has brought on cystitis. Quite a lot of strays dont know how to play.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »
I've found the following from surfing t'internet Gillian  :hug:

"According to our vet, it takes about three weeks for the male sex hormones to leave the body of an adult cat after he is neutered"

"high levels of hormones still circulate in the cat's body for a few weeks after neutering, so you may not see the full benefit of neutering for a couple weeks"

"The vet said that it can take up to two weeks for the hormones to get out of his system"

I suspect the truth is that each cat is different and boy cat behaviour will lessen day by day following his op.  Thing is, a lot of Chico's habits will be learned behaviour as he is an adult so will not be fully linked to hormones  :hug: :hug: :hug: 

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
That's what i've read on CatChat!  No experience of it tho.

You can't do anything BUT keep him in Gillian until he's neutered, so don't feel bad about it  :hug:

Fingers crossed someone with a secure garden offers him a home soon, or even a home with a garden in a quiet area!  He's SO gorgeous!  :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2010, 00:30:48 AM »

I believe it can take up to 6 weeks for the hormones to settle..................

6 weeks?!!!  :shocked:

Yes, I think your right about wanting to be out in the good weather - I feel so mean  :(

He's definitely gonna need a secure garden or huge run, I can't see him being an indoor cat either somehow.

Just going to go and give him his nighttime meal - keep him quiet for 5 minutes at least :tired:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 22:03:10 PM »
Freddie had his op about a week before I got to bring him home from RSPCA.  I don't recall yowling as such but he squeaked a lot and still does.  I think his hormones settled (i.e. his tomcat smell went)  after about 10 days so that would be 2 to 3 weeks after op with Fred.  Maybe we were lucky?

Latest pics show Chico already looking sooooo much better Gillian and just love the way he obviously loves being groomed under chin.  I was showing him to my colleague at lunchtime today.  He's just lovely  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2010, 21:55:43 PM »
He is just so lovely I do hope things work out for him  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2010, 21:43:13 PM »
So frustrating. I know with Mog I regularly exclaim "What is it you WANT?" Because I make sure there's food down, check the litter trays, ensure "her" beds aren't being taken up by the youngsters, groom her, fuss her and she still yowls. Granted, hers is dementia - but the reason with that is usually confusion. Chico will be seriously confused....

He truly is lovely looking. I think from what you've said it needs to be someone prepared to have a secure garden for him, because he's so used to outdoor access he might just stay acting stir crazy.

I love the brushing picture. :) Hope he calms down soon. :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2010, 20:50:03 PM »
Awww poor little man!  :Luv2: My Charlie (semi feral from work) is scared of toys (and of everything else!) When he first came to me, he'd been free for 6.1/2 years, so i expected a nightmare being confined for 5 weeks, but he was great, no yowling at all and only whimpering for the last week. Maybe it was cos he knew me anyway, or that he was neutered as a kitten? He doesn't want to be inside at all the last few weeks-maybe it's the same for Chico? He likes his freedom when the weather's good! Anyway, hopefully he'll start to settle and realise he's got a much better life now!   :hug:

I believe it can take up to 6 weeks for the hormones to settle..................

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2010, 20:21:05 PM »
Poor little mite.  :Luv:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:15:33 AM by NotSoKittyNewbie »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2010, 20:11:23 PM »
Des, unfortunately the pens are close to the house and noise carries a lot where I am. The neighbours have already said they can hear the cats scratching at the litter during the night, so yowing would not go down well LOL!

Its so true JS - that he doesnt understand his confinement and I can't tell him its for his own good - ultimately! I'm trying to keep him entertained, but he's a bit scared of toys - weird! the only thing he doesnt mind is the catnip knotty I made for him. I'm feeding him 4 times a day just to give him something to focus on  :Crazy: .

The frequent weeing isnt so frequent today, think he was driving himself into a frenzy yesterday. Rosella, I havent got grooming customers till next week, thankfully, and yes, he's booked in for 8.30 am Monday morning -it seems like such a long way away.....plus, I know things don't settle down right away after neutering - any idea how long it takes for the hormones to settle? - plus, will he stop yowing as well ? or is that a habit thing that he might continue despite settled hormones?

Gill, no, I'm pleased to say I've got vinyl in the grooming room, so no carpets to dig at! I am having trouble getting in and out of the room though, he wants to dash out, and my lot want to dash in  :rofl:

Here is today, squinting his eyes at me as if to say I hate you for keeping me in here! and then relenting and letting me brush under his chin.  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:49 AM »
Poor Chico and you, Gillian. It must be quite stressful for a tom that's used to looking out for himself to suddenly find restrictions in place. And it's frustrating for you, because you're helping him and can't tell him that.

Hope he figures it out soon. He really is a handsome boy. :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
You're famous Gillian  :) :hug: 

Blimey! - in  a good way I hope!  :scared:

In a very good way Gillian  :hug:

I do empathise on the weeing front front Gillian.  I thought perhaps that may happen which is why I asked if he was using trays.  I am in similar situation atm with Freddie (and he isn't grounded) although at least Freddie's doesn't have the Tomcat aroma (it did when he first arrived and it can be very potent I remember).  You will know as much as anyone what little can be done until his op; feliway, zylkene, earplugs, cleaning up regime etc.  If he's in your grooming room, I assume that's affecting your grooming activities?  So sorry he's causing so much upset and hope he's booked in as early as poss next week for his op. 

You are a star for taking him in and I'm sure he'll reward you when he's fully recovered.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2010, 08:55:09 AM »
A lot of vets call it feline aids, as to our CP branch who are relatively well informed  :-:

I think they use it as everyone will know what it means, whereas many probably haven't heard of FIV?

Hope the yowling stops Gillian  :hug: and that the frequent weeing is nothing.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
I would swap him for Minnie, the neighbours shouldnt be able to hear that much noise through the pens.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat