Author Topic: Any news on Portia? - Sad News  (Read 37346 times)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Re: Any news on Portia? - Sad News
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2009, 21:25:35 PM »
Lisa,  I apologise,  I do think emotions are rather high on here because of Portia, we all followed her story so closely,   I am such a cat lover I would hate for it to happen again and I really don't think you could cope with it happening again,  I know I couldnt if I was in your situation.  I am so glad that you are waiting for the results before getting another furbaby.  So lets let this rest and change this thread to a happier place to celebrate the life of Portia.   You may also want to look at the board 'Rainbow Bridge'  on here where you can leave a tribute to Portia x

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2009, 21:19:47 PM »
OK ladies - time out!!  And   :shy: erm Lisa  :-[  all that info is on cat-chat - even your email address ..... Most of us leave electronic footsteps all over stuff .....
People Power Works!!!

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #259 on: July 09, 2009, 21:17:16 PM »
As if i havent had enough to deal with today with portia passing!!! :'( I just havent got around to getting rid of them!!! Do you really think I am so stupid as to put another furball at risk until I get an answer?????? >:(

Myspace Glitter Graphics
RIP BABY PORTIA - APR-JUL 09 xxxx

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #258 on: July 09, 2009, 21:08:20 PM »
Lisa,  everything I have posted is in the public forum on the internet,  I am sorry you feel so strongly to respond to me like that.  All I am saying Lisa is please do not get another kitten just yet

I have now modified the post to exclude your surname
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 21:11:45 PM by Daisymac »

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #257 on: July 09, 2009, 21:06:20 PM »
What right do you have to put my FULL name and location on a public forum (daisymac). I am actually in the process of removing these ads until we get the results from Portias biopsy!!!! PEOPLE CAN BE SO NASTY!!!!!  :censored:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2009, 21:00:10 PM »
Daisymac is right .... Im afraid I spotted the ads, too ....
People Power Works!!!

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #255 on: July 09, 2009, 20:58:22 PM »
I know this has been a really tough time for a lot of people on here and especially tough on Lisa,  but I cant help noticing Lisa that you are advertising for another kitten,  please please I am begging you,  consider what people are saying on here before bringing another ktten into your home,  I know the temptation so well ( i have given into that temptation 10 times and they cost me over £200 a month with food,  insurance,  litter etc etc) but please Lisa dont do it.  We know how much you loved Portia but you need to make sure all is OK before you do anything now.

lisa xxxxxx WANTED: wanted please 2 kittens
Posted on Sun Local -
Price: Free
Category: Cats
Details: Baby
Features & Description
1 kitten wanted for loving forever home ,no transport so will need to be dropped off to coventry

Found on Gumtree
wanted please kitten
Date posted: Friday 3rd July  | Ad viewed: 42 times
wanted
wanted please kitten free to forever loving home , possibly someone who can bring to coventry as no transport please

thankyou

Found on Pet Free Ads

wanted please kitten
Call me on xxxxxxxxxx anytime
Cost: Free Location: Coventry
wanted please kitten to join forever loving home for free please and someone who could possibly deliver to coventry as no transport :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 21:10:52 PM by Daisymac »

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2009, 19:36:21 PM »
 :( RIP Portia

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #253 on: July 09, 2009, 19:33:55 PM »
It can lay 'dormant' for years before rearing its ugly head  :(

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #252 on: July 09, 2009, 19:20:46 PM »
it's not just any risk to a new cat though - when Boycie died of FIP the veterinary hospital at Bristol told me that if Trigger was carrying the Corona virus, I must avoid putting him through any stress, as that could cause it to mutate into FIP - but if he was still fine after 6 months then his chances of staying so would be much better
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #251 on: July 09, 2009, 19:16:50 PM »
RIP little portia  :(

I actually dont think theres any point putting rosie through tests straight away, shes very likely to have a high titre as she lived with portia, the sensible thing is to wait some months and then test or just keep her as a single cat. If she were to continue to have a high titre then it doesnt make it any safer waiting 3 months, 6 months or 20 months, keep her as a single cat as she would pose a risk to another especially a young one. One loss to fip is enough for anyone to cope with  :(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #250 on: July 09, 2009, 16:39:23 PM »
Oh how very sad. My heart goes out to Angie and to Lisa - and with hindsight we can all say that taking on a poorly kitten when you have limited finances may have been an error of judgement , but Lisa cared enough to give Portia a chance , took her to the vets (PDSA vet is still a vet who has still got the same qualifications - I know some private vets who are blimmin rubbish!) and cared enough to give Portia up when she couldn't help her any more.

I'm sure she is devastated and the last thing she needs now is people pointing the finger. There are many people (incluing the breeder by the sounds of it) who wouldn't even have tried to give Portia a chance. :'(

Well said Kirst !

And lets just remember that saying..... people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones !!!

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2009, 15:33:56 PM »
Thankyou kirst  :) :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2009, 15:13:57 PM »
Oh how very sad. My heart goes out to Angie and to Lisa - and with hindsight we can all say that taking on a poorly kitten when you have limited finances may have been an error of judgement , but Lisa cared enough to give Portia a chance , took her to the vets (PDSA vet is still a vet who has still got the same qualifications - I know some private vets who are blimmin rubbish!) and cared enough to give Portia up when she couldn't help her any more.

I'm sure she is devastated and the last thing she needs now is people pointing the finger. There are many people (incluing the breeder by the sounds of it) who wouldn't even have tried to give Portia a chance. :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2009, 14:51:19 PM »
This is such a sad thread and my heart goes out to all those who knew Portia  :hug:

RIP Portia, play hard on the bridge little one.

Just for my two pennies worth I would echo what the others have said about waiting at least 6 months before bringing another cat into the house and getting Rosie checked out. However I would like to add one thing, I dont know if its possible before doing anything but can you afford maybe £6-7 a month for Rosie? If so take out insurance with AXA today, because they will  not accept claims for the first 14 days to make sure the cat is healthy!

If you do this it will enable you to get Rosie to a decent vets in 3 weeks to get her checked. If you tell the vets you have insurance then its likely if they are good they will let the claim go through without charging you anything but the excess which is £50. You fill in the form with the money to go straight to the vet and then pay the £50 to the vet.

I think this would be the best way to make sure that Rosie has the best care for the rest of her life and as far as AXA are concerned you can only take oout insurance online and they dont ask if your cat has been in contact with another sick cat, only whether she is sick and right now that answer would be NO  :shify:

If you then get Rosie checked out in 3 to 4 weeks depending on the results that Angie has for Portia, you can say that when you took out insurance you didnt know that Portia had FIP, if that turns out to be the case and you can tell the vet that you have just heard about Portias illness so wanted to get Rosie checked out on advice of the rescue cos you never heard of this illness before and how serious it is.

Please do this cos it will save you so much hassle  and it will safe guard Rosie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2009, 14:38:21 PM »
Nite Nite sweet little Portia - too good for this world and the Angles wanted you for themselves - RIP little one and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge xxx

I cant stop crying for the llittle one taken too young xxx   :'(

I am so so sad that dear Portia didnt make it.  FIP is a wicked disease and I think the three most dreaded letters that cat lovers never want to hear.  I know you did the best you could Lisa but please take the advice given here,  do not get another cat or kitten, even if it wasnt FIP I think you need to be more financially settled in fairness to any cat or kitten.  One of my cats Charlie had a serious accident a couple of years ago and if I hadnt been able to drive him straight to the vets he would have most certainly died and I would never have forgiven myself.  The cost of the treatment and operations were luckily not a concern but if I had to use public transport as you do my Charlie would no longer be with us.

I dont thnk anyone is trying to find a scapegoat Lisa but we all have to face our responsibilities when taking on pets and as Bungly has said, I am sure that many of us have gone without in the past to make sure our fur babies have everything they need. 

I hope that Rosie is okay xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2009, 14:10:42 PM »
Sleep well Portia. Life wasnt kind to you. Be happy at the bridge xx
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2009, 13:35:22 PM »
Thankyou to tan and all for donations - we are very grateful for them!
As far as paypal goes I will have to ask our treasurer if we have an account - we may have set one up in the past. I have a private one and if people do wish to donate via that I can pm the details - it won't be as 'cosher' a route to take but if we have details of name and address a receipt will be sent out.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2009, 13:27:30 PM »
 :candle:  :'( Rest easy little one, be happy on the bridge.

Angie, i have paid via your web donation link £50 from Purrs Buster fund.

Do you have a way to except paypal donations?  

:hug:

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2009, 13:26:47 PM »
So sorry to hear about Portia, Lisa and all at Covcats. You all did all you could for this little lady.

I had a kitten Hamish years ago who developed similar symptoms a few weeks after his injections, and was later diagnosed with dry FIP. He sadly was pts aged 6 months just a few days after diagnosis.

I had fostered him and his brother from 5 weeks of age, and they had cat flu when I got them. They had been found dumped out with rubbish, very sick. I kept little Hamish, and his brother Mac was adopted by another person. Mac did not show any illness, but obviously was a carrier of the virus.

The advice from my vet at the time was to stop fostering immediately, and not to have any new cats into my household for at least 3 months.

After 3 months, I had my existing cat Angus (18 months old) blood tested. Luckily for me the results came back as a zero titre level for FIP. He died of old age a few years ago.

I left it another 3 months before fostering again, and luckily never had a problem since. I am always very careful when I introduce a new foster, especially when I dont know the history.

Please be very careful before introducing another kitten, Lisa. You and Rosie have been through so much, and I would hate for anyone to have to go through what I went through all those years ago. It almost broke my heart.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2009, 12:13:58 PM »
OK probably not the best time to say this,   but we have to  remember that Angie has other cats that desperately need her help and she now has a rather large vets bill from Portia's treatment,   so although I am probably not allowed to post links I am going to and this is the link to donate to covcats who I am sure could do with a bit of help to cover costs.

http://www.octogen.co.uk/coventrycatgroup.org.uk/donate/

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »
This is so sad - i am gutted as like many on here i have followed this little ones story and really thought she was going to pull through.
FIP is a terrible disease - i took in one once who i was constantly at the vets with and she still died after 8 months.

I feel that Rosie should be taken to be checked and tested - and in all honesty i think it irresponsible not to do this.  ( i am not having a go here , but all i ever think about is the cats interest - they cannot speak for them selves and i know how upset you are)- BUT you should not take on another cat - until your financial circumstances are a lot better , and you can get to a vet a lot quicker than you do now and also not for at least a year anyway -due to the quarantine period .
 If a cat is ill -you need to be able to get to a vet asap - and i would not personally ever go to a PDSA vet myself - i need a vet i can trust and who i know.
I have financial problems -but i would starve and go without everything to make sure my animals had the best care - i actually spoke to the PDSA about Bungly as i had a large vet bill after the last visit and they told me to change vets if i wanted help for the bill - i said no -i would rather starve and go to my own vet who i trust implicity and would never change - i would foot the bill somehow - luckily i have done and its now paid .
Since then i have had 2 more visits this week -one with Bungly , one with Smartie ( Smartie was unexpected !) thats just cost me my weeks shopping money - but i have bread, milk and stuff in the freezer - i can manage - they can't without GOOD vet treatment .

:candle:

RIP Portia -sweet little angel , hope you are free from pain and suffering now.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »
Trigger, if the PDSA vet is at a PDSA clinic then yes. Anyone who has to make do with the PetAid scheme won't be able to get blood tests done - they aren't covered by the PDSA on that scheme, and nor are previous health issues.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2009, 12:02:47 PM »
[quote author=Gillian (Ambercat)
This is just so sad, and such a shock, I'm so very sorry Lisa  :hug:

Lisa you are right there is no definitive test for FIP itself, but your vet could test Rosie for coronavirus (which is the virus that can mutate into FIP). Rosie may be positive for corona (its quite likely as many cats are positive, although most have few/no symptoms). If she does have positive/high titres then you can test again in a few months time - to see if the titres are staying high, or have gone down. That way at least you will know if Rosie may be a carrier.
[/quote]

will the PDSA be willing to undertake such a test though, Gillian?

Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »
Cat's like any pets can be costly and and may need vets in an emergency, I think these these need to be considered :hug:   
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »
Rosie is not showing any symptoms of FIP so we are going to wait and see what the vet says on Portia as there is no definative diagnostic test a vet can do and can only be detected with a biopsy or autopsy

This is just so sad, and such a shock, I'm so very sorry Lisa  :hug:

Lisa you are right there is no definitive test for FIP itself, but your vet could test Rosie for coronavirus (which is the virus that can mutate into FIP). Rosie may be positive for corona (its quite likely as many cats are positive, although most have few/no symptoms). If she does have positive/high titres then you can test again in a few months time - to see if the titres are staying high, or have gone down. That way at least you will know if Rosie may be a carrier.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
First off, I am not pointing the finger or having a go.

I really think you need to wait to get another kitten, for a number of reasons. The main one being the risk of passing on what poor little Portia had but also, you have said that financially you aren't in a fantastic position at the moment and getting to a vet is difficult, this would make it a little irresponsible (again, not judging you, I understand the urge to get another cat!), to take on any more animals and risk there being another emergency you are unable, not unwilling, but unable to deal with.

I would say, grieve for Portia, make sure Rosie is okay, wait six months and then probably everything will be back on track again and you can offer another little one a forever home.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2009, 11:49:34 AM »

Rosie has just been spayed hasn't she?  This makes her vulnerable, and she really doesn't need the additional stress of another cat/kitten being introduced now - it could tip her over the edge.

According to past posts, Rosie was spayed on 24th June
People Power Works!!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
In the future is fair enough. ;) Just wanted to make sure you'd be waiting for confirmation on what was wrong with Portia before taking on another ball of fluff.

In all honesty, in the mean time if you can manage it a check for Rosie might be an idea. They can trace FIP via blood tests as far as I'm aware.

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »
Do you mean you're going to wait to introduce a new cat into the household? Sorry, just trying to clarify.
we are going to at least wait for confirmation on portia but i would like to get another at some point in the future

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about Portia.  :'(

Lisa, if there is a chance that the corona virus may be present in your household, it would be best not to introduce any other cats or kittens for at least for six months.

This is to prevent them from contracting the virus, and the possibility of it mutating into FIP.

Also, experts believe that stress can play a part in the virus mutating into this awful disease.  Rosie has just been spayed hasn't she?  This makes her vulnerable, and she really doesn't need the additional stress of another cat/kitten being introduced now - it could tip her over the edge.

Give yourself time to grieve and concentrate on looking after Rosie.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
Poor, poor little Portia - I think a lot of us took that little cat to our hearts  :Luv2:

RIP Little one, and play hard at the Bridge - no more pain or fear  :'(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2009, 11:31:42 AM »
Lisa I think they can carry without showing symptoms you do need to take vets advice on this one

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
Ross has just phoned and he says it looks like FIP.

Only just caught up with this thread, how sad, I am so sorry. We had a kitten once with similar symptoms and the problem was Megacolon, if older cats get it, it can sometimes be resolved but kittens born with it or get it there is little chance. In some net write ups on it they talk of constipation, but the kitten diagnosed wit it certainly did not suffer from that, quite the opposite.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:33:01 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
Do you mean you're going to wait to introduce a new cat into the household? Sorry, just trying to clarify.

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
Rosie is not showing any symptoms of FIP so we are going to wait and see what the vet says on Portia as there is no definative diagnostic test a vet can do and can only be detected with a biopsy or autopsy

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2009, 10:58:51 AM »
Lisa, I'd still get Rosie checked out - just to be on the safe side. You need to know if she's carrying anything before you consider a newbie to your family. (Sorry, not a judgement just a fact as far as I can see.)

I'm really sorry to hear about Portia. I have to admit I thought she looked a lovely little girl and I'm sorry that despite all the vets efforts and her strength she still didn't make it.

RIP Portia.

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
rosie is just over three years old

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2009, 10:52:25 AM »
how old is Rosie - my understanding is that under 2s are vulnerable

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
if Portia had FIP, she and Rosie would have had the corona virus, which in Portia mutated into FIP, and in Rosie hopefully not. But Rosie may well now be a carrier, so must not, please Lisa, be exposed to another cat for a minimum of 6 months.

I had a kitten from a very respectable breeder, at the same time as Trigger - both got the virus, but it only mutated into FIP in one of them - I was lucky

these things happen, and I did not blame myself  - poor Portia could not be saved, but what matters now is Rosie's health, and the health of any future cats Lisa might have
Robert A. Heinlein:

Link to CatChat