Author Topic: Any news on Portia? - Sad News  (Read 37350 times)

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
Re: cat food
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 20:54:44 PM »
 hiya
i get free vet care as on benefits :-[  its just i have to get four buses to get there and back for five us us my partner myself and three kiddies and it isnt cheap , also her squits are getting evrywhere so i have suggested to cp maybe they can help me with portia getting to the vets also maybe borrow me a pen or something similar to stop poops evrywhere , i really really dont want to part with her she is my baby  :'(

Myspace Glitter Graphics
RIP BABY PORTIA - APR-JUL 09 xxxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 20:24:21 PM »
Did they ever test her poo?
Sorry to hear you have to rehome her, CP are very rarely able to pay peoples vet bills and return a cat, theres just not enough resources  :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 20:23:52 PM »
Lisa, not to be negative but I'd think that it's unlikely they'd be able to return Portia. Whatever she has could be re-occurring and you've just stated you can no longer afford to provide ongoing veterinary care for her regarding this matter.

I'm so sorry she's still ill - do they have any idea what the problem might be? It's all well and good telling you it's "not internal" but are they indicating what they might think she has wrong?

Glad Rosie is enjoying the raw diet.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 20:07:55 PM »
 They have said there is no internal problems , i hoping my local cp will help her and then i can have her back as i dont wanna lose her  :(

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 19:59:23 PM »
The poor thing, she really needs sorting have the vets done many tests on her?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 18:48:41 PM »
 no and unfortunetly im having to rehome her ( have contacted local rescue ) as we think she needs special care which we simply cannot afford and provide anymore and soo heartbroken  :(

but rosie has taken to the raw feeding like a fish to water , i am waiting on a delivery from food 4 cats but its been delayed due to the hot weather , rosie has been eating fish , and chicken bones aswell all raw  :)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 19:19:18 PM by lisa281 »

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 18:44:01 PM »
 :( Lisa is she any better?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 15:04:20 PM »
You can order it online Hun - shop around because the price can vary quite a lot. - it seems expensive but lasts ages.  It comes in a tub and is a white powder, there is a little blue measuring spoon (normally buried in the powder so you have to have a dig around for it) when the Bengals were babies I just used about a quarter-half a scoop a day and once there was marked improvement I went to every other day then once a week.  It just mixes in the wet food and is really easy to give - I checked with my vet before using it, they had never heard of it  :doh: so I took the tub for them to have a look at and they said it would be fine.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
 sheryl where can i get lacto b from ?

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
ok i only feed her little and often throught out the day so as to not over load her tum  :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
gillian i was gonna try a taster pack from food 4 cats and see what she likes from the pack , is that ok ?

Yep, thats balanced with bones and organs, but definitely start slowly given her squitting probs!

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »
 gillian i was gonna try a taster pack from food 4 cats and see what she likes from the pack , is that ok ?

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:37:02 PM »
 ok  :thanks: sheryl i will try her with the orijen and lacto b , the vets gave me anti b's which she has finished and some paste which is doing nothing for her , she has had all the tests and xrays etc  , which said there is nothing wrong , she is not keen on kitten food but loves raw chicken so im thinking raw is the way to go  :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
Lisa, try mixing a little of the new mince in with her raw chicken and then gradually increasing amount of new mince while decreasing amount of chicken.

If she likes the raw chicken, you could maybe try the Feline Future supplement which you add to the meat to make it balanced. http://felineinstincts.ca/

But if she's eating chicken with bones, then you only need to add a bit of organ meat (liver - not to much, kidneys,) and some heart - and she'll be eating a balanced raw diet then.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
I do my Bengals every 6 - 8 weeks Hun, you may need to warm the raw slightly for her to start with and I hope you are not squeemish at the sight of blood  :sick: because some of the raw is quite bloody - when I put the bnegals on raw and Orijen it took a few weeks before there was a definite improvement with their poops, I also used Lacto B for a few weeks.  (I always keep some in just incase)
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
oh im confused  :Crazy: i definetly know shes cant have grain with her poorly tum and she loves raw chicken she even eats the bones which had me thinking about feeding her raw completely , but she wouldn, t eat the raw mince  :( , she is not a great lover of biscuits anyway she doesnt seem to eat much of them .

Sheryl she has to be wormed every mnth till she is 6 mnths , so how often shall i do it if she takes to the raw food ?

lisa xx

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:18:18 PM »
What about the Applaws dry? that also has potato in, plus cellulose plant fibre, cranberry extract, yucca extract, citrus extract and rosemary oil extract - mind you, mine all eat raw, and also have a little applaws dry  and seem fine with it. They also have a little Hi Life biscuits too (they do contain rice, but have a reasonable meat content).

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »
Hi Lisa - Orijen is grain free and you can buy it online from Zooplus - all mine are on it and thriving (2 of my Bengals have vey sensitive tums and they are fine with it)

it does say 25% fruit & veg though so may not be suitable. Arden Grange sensitive may be OK though (from VetUK)

I just checked and it has potatoes and cranberry extract.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »
If she takes to the raw it is worth remembering to worm her more often  :sick:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »
Hi Lisa - Orijen is grain free and you can buy it online from Zooplus - all mine are on it and thriving (2 of my Bengals have vey sensitive tums and they are fine with it)
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
Any news on Portia? - Sad News
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:17:15 AM »
 does anyone know of a grain free fruit and vegetable free kitten biscuits for portia please to go with her raw diet  :)

thanks lisa

p.s im ordering her a taster pack from food 4 cats tommorow
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:59:00 AM by clarenmax »

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Link to CatChat