Author Topic: Worried sick about Belle  (Read 18804 times)

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
Re: Worried sick about Belle
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2009, 19:17:10 PM »
Karen hun *hugs to you*

i have recently been there myself and am currently in process of complaint with my first vet. 2nd vet however was fab, and said only to feed monkey on the s/o stuff for his struvite and jasper was to stay on normal as it could cause more harm than good.

hopefully you will have some good clear news soon, but would def change vets

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »
Gonna have to do something, I'm sick and tired of getting told a different story everytime I ring them or go over there

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2009, 16:45:04 PM »
Yes you can change vet anytime you like.

On my claim form it asks who the current vet is and how long you have been with them and if recent then who the previous vet is.

Apart from changing vet you also can get second opinions and why not.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2009, 16:42:32 PM »
I don't blame you getting fed up - and I would lose confidence in them too

I think you need to discuss the situation with your insurance company's claims dept - it is in their interests after all to get Belle well, and cut down on unnecessary treatment and vet visits
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2009, 16:37:09 PM »
Can you change vets even when you've claimed from the insurance through a certain vet?

I've had a gutful of the one across the road. Rang for Belle's test results. . . . again. Waited on hold 10 minutes and a vet came on the phone to say the lab had found struvite crystals. Now I remember word for word what the female vet said to me last week, that when they first analysed his urine it was clear of crystals, but left under the microscope strange crystals formed that none of the other vets in the practice could identify, hence the sample needing to be sent off to the lab.

Today the vet came on the phone and said the lab found struvite crystals, so I repeated what the first vet had told me and he more or less said that was nonsense, it had been struvite crystals all along. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. The first time Belle went to the vets with it, the sample they got with the catheter they told me it was struvite crystals, if they were able to diagnose them then and there that time, why did this sample have to be sent to a lab? Then he said so just keep him on the prescription food, I told him he wasn't being fed that anymore, his tone totally changed and he said "who authorised you to do that!?!" I told him it was Caoimhe at their practice, he said under no circumstances should he be off the food. I'm taking what he says with a pinch of salt because he was the vet that told me to feed all 4 cats the S/O prescription diet.

:censored: I'm so confused with all of this.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »
Belle's great thanks, Bazsmum. I'll have to keep a close eye on him tomorrow cos that's when the antibiotics will run out, last time they ran out he was back to being in the littertray every other minute. His test results aren't back yet, I rang yesterday and they told me to ring back on Friday.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2009, 10:54:21 AM »
Hows everything going with Belle Karen?  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2009, 18:39:36 PM »
She says she's thinking it's the antibiotics with the heat of the microscope and it's good that the crystals aren't there initially, she said there was no sign of the struvite crystals when she first tested it. Won't even hear back for the results now until next Wednesday cos they're closed on Monday and Tuesday for the bank holidays. Felt better and now I'm really worried again  :scared:

From what I can gather from the above, the crystals should'nt be a worry as they are only forming when being exposed to the air! White blood cells are the infection fighter's so really his body is doing what its supposed to!  ;)

Try not to worry Karen....I know its hard but as you say he is not showing any signs of illness at the mo so I reckon his insides are under control!

Good Luck for the results next Wed!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2009, 18:18:37 PM »
Have any of you heard of anything like this before?

Sorry for my doziness but what are you referring to?  :shy:

Do you mean the crystals?  :-:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 18:19:43 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2009, 18:13:34 PM »
Have any of you heard of anything like this before?

Yeah I'm living in Northern Ireland at the minute, Monday and Tuesday are bank holidays cos the Twelfth falls on a Sunday this year

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2009, 17:57:50 PM »
Do you live in NI Karen?  :shify:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2009, 17:56:43 PM »

Hope it's just the abs and nothing to be concerned about  :hug:

Bank holidays?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2009, 17:35:31 PM »
Don't know what to think. The vet just rang, there is protein and white blood cells in his urine so he's not clear of infection yet. And the vet said the sample was left under the microscope, after a while these strange crystals she'd never seen before formed, she showed them to another vet and he hadn't either. Tested again and the same thing happened. So she wants his sample sent to a lab to see what's going on  :Crazy:

She says she's thinking it's the antibiotics with the heat of the microscope and it's good that the crystals aren't there initially, she said there was no sign of the struvite crystals when she first tested it. Won't even hear back for the results now until next Wednesday cos they're closed on Monday and Tuesday for the bank holidays. Felt better and now I'm really worried again  :scared:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2009, 15:12:05 PM »
Well that was another new thing, the vet introduced herself as Caoimhe as soon as I went in. She's the first vet whose name I've known over there!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »
You should maybe check with the KIA (know it all) receptionist for her name (the vets) that way you may be able to make any future apps. with her!  ;)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2009, 10:12:37 AM »
Nah I just said he darted when he saw the carrier and I didn't want to fight with him when he's doing well at the minute. The vet agreed! This one was really nice, hope she stays there. I think in all the time I've been going to that vets I've only ever seen the same vet twice.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2009, 10:08:35 AM »
Did you have to take Belle in then Karen? I hope not!  :shify:

Good Luck with his urine test results!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »
The vet today was really nice, she said to try him on the high meat food and she gave me a bottle of Cystease these ones are called, and see how he gets on with this. She said if feeding separately is stressful it will be taking away some of the good the food's doing him. I'm to ring later for the results of his urine sample test.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2009, 18:50:48 PM »
Well she did ask what vet I'd seen on Saturday (no idea, never once been told the name of any of the vets there. You rarely see the same one twice). But yeah I'm gonna ring back and say that. If there was any change in him I wouldn't hesitate to take him over but it seems pointless when he's doing well. Thanks, Gillian  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2009, 18:40:15 PM »
Stick to your guns Karen! The receptionist probably doesnt know the full history and doesnt realise he's only just been seen. Phone again and make it clear that you just want to talk to the vet and that you don't need an appointment for Belle.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2009, 18:30:09 PM »
I know that's what I thought too. He's totally normal again since getting the antibiotics. Peeing normally, no frantic licking afterwards, his sample is a light yellow colour and there was plenty of it. Wonder if I should pretend I misunderstood the receptionist and not take him, hate the thoughts of it cos when he sees the carrier he darts upstairs, hates going over there. He was just examined on Saturday as well, it's not like they haven't seen him for weeks.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2009, 18:21:35 PM »
Thats crazy!  :Crazy: You are perfectly entitled to just make an appointment to talk to the vet. You do not need to take Belle - if he is fine at the moment there will be no need for him to be kept in. After all you are just wanting to tallk about diet, and take the sample in arent you? Belle doesnt need to be there for that.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2009, 17:03:52 PM »
Got Belle's urine sample. The pearl litter was no go, he wasn't going near it so I waited for him to go in the normal littertray and put the bottle underneath him.
Rang the vets to ask if I could make an appointment to just talk to them but they want me to put the sample in the fridge overnight and bring Belle in in the morning, wasn't talking to a vet but the receptionist said "It'd be easier for you to bring him just in case we'd have to keep him in" I can't see why they would though, he's fine at the minute, I didn't want to take him and stress him out.

Fingers crossed I'll get to talk about the diet and get somewhere with it.

Got an email saying the Cystaid was sent today, I ordered special delivery so it should be here tomorrow.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2009, 08:03:59 AM »
Please dont let your vet bully you into prescription food, Tom had stress related cystitis and struvite crystals after being put on a dry food only diet by the rescue's vet (R/D first, and then C/D even though the dry R/D had given him crystals, he still had issues on C/D) went to my vet who doesn't do prescription food for cystitis, her recommendation was wet food only, more water, reduce stress and Cystaid and it worked well for Tom. Some cats never suffer with issues afterward. Also be careful with fishy foods, high fish contents can irritate the problem
Please spay your cat

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2009, 23:55:42 PM »
you are doing a brilliant job, well done.  Wish i could advise on feeding but mine only get the cheapest stuff i it seems to be what they like (Tescos own brand).  I don't know how I would cope if any of them needed special food    :luck:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2009, 23:12:34 PM »
I've ordered the Cystaid. Will try and have a talk to one of the vets at my practice, they always seem so adamant about things over there though and I can only say so much because when it comes down to it they're vets. They have a special way of making me feel reven more stupid than I do already.

Yes, they are vets, but they don't know everything (and from what I understand their training in animal nutrition is sponsored by the pet food manufacturers who are only in it to push their products) I'm afraid prescription diets arent the be all and end all which many seem to think. Theres no reason for you to feel stupid so don't let them make you feel that way  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2009, 22:39:53 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I've got that litter too, fluffycloud. I'm betting he'll go nowhere near it lol. Gonna get a kitten's littertray because there won't be near enough to cover the bottom of any of our trays here.

I've ordered the Cystaid. Will try and have a talk to one of the vets at my practice, they always seem so adamant about things over there though and I can only say so much because when it comes down to it they're vets. They have a special way of making me feel reven more stupid than I do already.

Belle's not overly keen on the prescription food either, Gillian, he's desperate to have what the others are getting. He howls at the door! I know what the vet's suggestion will be though cos he said it before, feed them all prescription, but even the manufacturer tells you not to do that!

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2009, 20:47:27 PM »
hi so glad your chappy is ok!

monkey is also on s/d food at min for exactly the same problem. hes on this just for the next 2 weeks then we have to collect a sample using the special cat litter given to us

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2009, 20:07:10 PM »
If you try the acidifiers you can test his urine ph yourself at home with little dip sticks, once the crystals have gone i would go for the high meat/lots of fluid plan.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2009, 19:34:12 PM »
Glad he's home :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2009, 18:36:34 PM »
I'd discuss it with your vet, say that its difficult trying to feed Belle separately and you want to try him on the foods you mentioned that the others are having rather than prescription and see what he says about trying Cystaid too. I never gave Ben the prescription food - well apart from a couple of mouthfulls he had before deciding he didnt like it lOL! Don't forget that cystitis isnt just about diet, so don't know if you've got some feliway diffusers plugged in? just in case stress is a factor.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2009, 15:52:07 PM »
Thank you, Gillian. So just to clarify, feeding him a high meat diet (They've been having Applaws and Hi-Life) and giving him the Cystaid will be ok without prescription food? I've read the Royal Canin ingredients on the box, it looks much the same as Whiskas, Felix etc, except it has calcium sulfate listed as a urine acidifying ingredient.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2009, 15:47:59 PM »
:shy: I'm such an idiot. It came under the category of urine acidifiers on one of the sites I looked on so I thought it was. Too good to be true! It would make life so much easier if I could give him something alongside normal food.

Well you can get urine acidifiers, but you can end up over-acidifying the urine, which can lead to oxalate stones.  Feeding a normal high meat appropriate cat diet will keep the urine at the correct pH.  :)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2009, 15:31:00 PM »
 :shy: I'm such an idiot. It came under the category of urine acidifiers on one of the sites I looked on so I thought it was. Too good to be true! It would make life so much easier if I could give him something alongside normal food.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2009, 13:03:01 PM »
No I wasn't given or told about Cystaid. All the vet keeps banging on about is the all-dry prescription diet  :tired:

Would giving Belle Cystaid mean he wouldn't need the prescription food? As it's a urine acidifier?

Cystaid isnt a urine acidifier Karen, its something that helps soothe the linining of the bladder so it can help some cats with this condition, its mainly glucosamine. 

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
Thanks guys.

No I wasn't given or told about Cystaid. All the vet keeps banging on about is the all-dry prescription diet  :tired:

I see it here with no prescription needed to be sent in so I'll order some today
http://www.petdispensary.co.uk/cystaid-feline-4206-0.html

Would giving Belle Cystaid mean he wouldn't need the prescription food? As it's a urine acidifier? I've already changed the other cats onto Applaws and Hi-Life so Belle would be getting the high-meat/grain free food too.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:38:01 AM by karenjet »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »
Glad the jab helped Belle out...It would be worth getting some Cystaid as Des says, hopefully he wont need any more abs if it gets to work on him!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2009, 07:53:09 AM »
Karen, did the vet give you Cystaid? It can really help, as it soothes the lining of the bladder, and you can buy it online, you just have to buy a massive tub.
Please spay your cat

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2009, 22:16:20 PM »
So glad things have got a bit better  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2009, 19:31:53 PM »
 :) Glad things have much improved
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Link to CatChat