Author Topic: Worried sick about Belle  (Read 18806 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Worried sick about Belle
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2009, 14:04:05 PM »
great news!  good that there is a choice of food, my poor old bluto had two flavours to choose from and wouldn't eat the beef one!

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2009, 14:01:53 PM »
The monkeyman's coming home at 3.30!  :Luv:
The vet said he'll give me samples of the wet and dry prescription food but that Belle's hardly eaten since he's been there. He said there's a little bit of blood in his urine still but that's to be expected but he's using the littertray fine on his own. He's also giving him an antibiotic injection that'll last 2 weeks so I won't have to give him tablets.

I got his water fountain set up and a couple of new littertrays put round the house.

Can't wait to see him!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
Fingers crossed everything works out well. Tom had struvite crystals, and sprayed due to stress, but he managed fine without prescription food (we had him on c/d dry for a short while, but he still had issues) - might be worth investing in some Cystaid - while it is cheaper online, if you get it from the vet, it should be covered on your insurance policy, that, mainly wet food and hte odd bit of Metacam worked well for Tom.
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2009, 00:33:15 AM »
My 4 aren't keen on the Thrive, got ones from pets at home before that are dry chicken, others ones that are dried duck and they wouldn't entertain those at all!

If Belle can't have them I'm gonna have to stop all their favourites, Temptations, Webbox etc  :-: That's gonna be hard cos they know they get them at bedtime and wait patiently on them, can't give to the other 3 and not Belle though. On the whole I have no idea how I'm gonna work round feeding him separately but I'll get round it some way

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2009, 19:39:11 PM »
Thrive treats go down really well here- they seem to prefer the prawns one most though, maybe it's the smell.

Sending more get better vibes and hope you get your boy back soon.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2009, 18:28:04 PM »

He has to stay for 24 hours and if he can pee ok he can come home tomorrow. I went over a while ago and he looks thoroughly miserable 

Been to pets at home and got a water fountain, got him some treats that say they have cranberries for urinary health, dunno if he'll be allowed them? If not they won't go to waste with the other 3 anyway

Try not to worry too much that he looks down in the dumps, Ben looked very sorry for himself for the next day or so after the procedure, even at home, but he soon picked up  :hug:

Most of the treats for cats have pretty naff ingredients on the whole,  (cereals and stuff) I'd avoid them to be honest, while you are sorting out his diet. The real meat ones are pretty good - Thrive for instance, they're just freeze dried chicken.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2009, 17:47:31 PM »
Yeah I asked the vet this morning how much my bill was and he said I just pay the excess, give them the claim form and they'll get it from Tesco. Tesco are to send a form within 5 days. I hope it's ok to take him home without already having the claim form. I have the policy schedule thing as proof he is insured so hopefully that'll be ok.

Thanks for all the good vibes, keep them coming til the lil man is home safe please. It's amazing how much his presence is missed, he's such a character and always up to mischief. Has been odd not saying "Get down, Belle" every 2 mins when he's climbing all over the kitchen or trying to eat off my plate. He can climb all he likes when he's home and I won't say a word lol

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2009, 17:29:13 PM »
Sending wee wee vibes to darling Belle~~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

I usually get mixed up with what the vet says!  :-: I think its partly to do with your frame of mind, the worry etc.... ;)

Hope Belle can come home tomorrow!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2009, 17:27:53 PM »
Awww, I'm so sorry for you both.

My vet was very strict about Memphis' diet until he was all fit and healthy about a month later. So it was tins of s/d and nothing else. He's got variety now though.

Have you sorted out your insurance now  :hug:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2009, 17:14:49 PM »
Stranger still. The vet rang me back earlier and says I must've taken him up wrong, the catheter didn't come out yesterday but he's taken it out this morning. He has to stay for 24 hours and if he can pee ok he can come home tomorrow. I went over a while ago and he looks thoroughly miserable  :'(
Can't wait to give him a proper cuddle.

Been to pets at home and got a water fountain, got him some treats that say they have cranberries for urinary health, dunno if he'll be allowed them? If not they won't go to waste with the other 3 anyway

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2009, 16:24:05 PM »
Any update Karen ?   :hug:

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2009, 16:05:07 PM »
Hope you get Belle back today sending  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
Hope he's able to come home today hunnie  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2009, 09:38:50 AM »
I am sure he will be home today Karen xxx

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2009, 09:37:08 AM »
Strange  :-:

Just rang and the receptionist went to talk to the veterinary nurse, came back and said he's comfortable and the catheter's still in. I said the vet told me yesterday the catheter was out, so she went again to talk to the nurse. came back and said to "disregard" what she'd said before  :Crazy: . The vet hasn't done his inpatient rounds yet so she'll get him to phone me once he has.
I have a hospital appointment at 10 but I'll divert the calls to my mobile and cross my fingers for good news.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2009, 18:27:37 PM »
My Ben is also not overweight, never has been, nor is he b&w, but he is persian, and that was another susceptibility pointer in that study apparently. He also not a stressy cat, and didnt appear to me to be stressed at the time. He had a couple of bouts of cystitis at the old house a little while before I moved (I was stressed!) and didnt have the blockage until the May after I'd moved in the January, so my guess is he was picking up on MY stress and other things that go on with a house move and the settling in to a new home.

As Den said, diet isnt the only factor, but Ben, at the time, was eating dry food only (I'd somehow got taken in by the whole dry food thing - before that I'd always fed wet food, never ANY dry), so that probably was a contributing factor in his case. The stress they feel isnt necessarily a tangible thing that we observe, its something they feel but don't always show - until something like this happens. And stress is different things to different cats, one cat may not bat an eyelid at, for instance a door being slammed, whereas another it would send its stress levels soaring. On the other hand, a life with too few challenges in it can be highly stressful for some cats.

I feed a raw diet as well as high meat content pouches, trays etc Applaws, Hi-Life, Forthglade, after researching the condition loads. They all do have some dry food, but just as treats.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2009, 18:17:31 PM »
The coconut stay clean smells soooooooooooo nice. I know I use various things on his litter box and nothing has put him off. Also I changed over from catsan to Cats Best OKO clumping litter, I find it really handy now because I can monitor the amount and size of his wees which I couldn't do before.

The only thing that I think could have contributed Memphs issue is 2 weeks prior he was having a lot of fishy foods. It just seems to much of a coincidence. Some things you can read say fish or certain types of fish play a part in causing crystals. Just as a precaution I rarely feed him fishy foods.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2009, 17:55:33 PM »
Belle's the same, Den. He never seems stressed at all and I've wracked my brains to think what it could've been. I'd bought this spray disinfectant stuff from Jollyes that I think's called 'Stay Clean', it's coconut scented, or so it says but I can't smell anything off it. I've been using that on the littertrays after they've been washed so maybe that's putting him off using them. It says it's for littertrays, food bowls, stuff like that so there's nothing harmful in it.

Yeah I would like a copy, Gillian, if it's no bother for you. Also, what wet food do you feed your cats?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2009, 16:06:12 PM »
I'm gonna look into changing them all onto a high meat food diet, read in Memphis' thread that for some reason overweight black and white males are very prone to this, someone wasn't talking about Memphis, just that that type seem more prone.

:evillaugh: I was going to say. Memphis is as skinny as they come, he's thinner than a bean pole on a diet and always has been :scared: He is also the least stressed cat ever! The vets were stumped as to why he got it, it just seems that some cats are more prone to it than others. I wouldn't put it down to diet either as some cats can eat exactly the same thing and be perfectly fine.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2009, 15:54:27 PM »
I have the article about b&w cats being prone if you'd like a copy? It was written by holistic vet Richard Allport, it doesnt really go into that much detail, just that a study showed this was the case.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2009, 15:48:11 PM »
sounds more postiive news and hopefully he can come home tomorrow :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2009, 15:44:56 PM »
Thanks. I'm feeling much better. Me and my middle daughter (who adores Belle and he loves her to bits) just went to Tesco and got him a new bed to recuperate in.

Dawn, the vet didn't say the type of crystals.

I'm gonna look into changing them all onto a high meat food diet, read in Memphis' thread that for some reason overweight black and white males are very prone to this, someone wasn't talking about Memphis, just that that type seem more prone. Overweight black and white male sums my Meeko up to a t although he's only slightly overweight and the vet says he's just a very solidly built cat.

Cannot wait to get the lil monkeyman home :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2009, 13:59:54 PM »
The vet sounds really positive and when I said I was really worried he said there's no need to be, there's nothing potentially life-threatening about his condition at the moment and it's very common in male cats, but now he's had it it's likely to reoccur at some point.

I'll go over and see him later today, feeling much better about the whole thing

Thats good news, here's hoping for a good pee! Don't be too concerned if he doesnt pee straight away on his own, especially while still at the vets - his bits will all still be a bit sore from the catheter and he may not relax - thats the reason my vet sent Ben home even though he hadnt pee'd properly at the vets, she thought he'd be more relaxed and more likely to at home, and that was what happened, although I can understand that they want to know that he can do it on his own before sending home.

Its true it can recur, but its about 6 years since it happened with Ben, and with a change in diet (to raw and high meat content tinned and pouches), some stress relief with Feliway, and he's not had a recurrence  :hug:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2009, 13:56:37 PM »
Yeah,  that is great news,   so pleased for you and Belle,  you will probably have your baby boy back safe and sound in a few hours xxx   :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2009, 13:38:01 PM »
That's great news  :hug: :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2009, 13:36:46 PM »
Awww, yay that is excellent news.

Memphs is on the prescription diet and he's had no trouble since. He was on s/d to dissolve all the crystals and is now on c/d to prevent them from reoccurring.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2009, 13:33:32 PM »
Yes was gonna say that the diet should keep it under control and fingers crossed this will be the last of it!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2009, 13:32:38 PM »
Sounds positive  :) Fingers crossed he can wee today and come home tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2009, 13:31:49 PM »
did he say what kind of crystals, my bluto had struvite - it was well controlled by diet and never reoccurred

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2009, 13:29:17 PM »
The vet rang me. He said Belle's bladder is full of crystals and that's what's causing the blood (I'm sure he said that's making him haemorrhage, would that be right?), they did an ultrasound and he has no stones which is good. They're taking the catheter out to see if he can pee ok on his own later today and if he can manage ok I can bring him home tomorrow, then he'll be on the prescription diet.

The vet sounds really positive and when I said I was really worried he said there's no need to be, there's nothing potentially life-threatening about his condition at the moment and it's very common in male cats, but now he's had it it's likely to reoccur at some point.

I'll go over and see him later today, feeling much better about the whole thing

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »
Also, Daisy's in a mood, won't come near me, I know she's eaten and used the littertray so don't think she's not well, just in one of her moods. Wonder if it's Belle not being here has upset her

They do pick up on our 'worry' vibes  :(

All good wishes for Belle  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
Thinking positive thoughts for baby Belle  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
Thanks all of you  :hug: Yep, plenty of those vibes needed.

Hopefully at 2.30 there will be something, gonna be a loooooong day til then.

Also, Daisy's in a mood, won't come near me, I know she's eaten and used the littertray so don't think she's not well, just in one of her moods. Wonder if it's Belle not being here has upset her

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »
Sending positive wee wee vibes for Belle~~~~~~C'mon Belle you can do it!  :Luv: :hug:

Karen... :grouphug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »
Poor Belle , sending love, huggles and positive vibes - come on little one so a big weeeeeee

Big  :hug: for you Karen  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
 :hug: :hug: poor you and poor Belle.

I think Belle needs a good dose of the purrs wee vibes.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
Just rang, he didn't produce a urine sample during the night, the vet hasn't been round to examine the inpatients yet so I'm to ring back at 2.30 

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
Fingers crossed he has a good day today and can come home

I second that  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2009, 07:35:25 AM »
Fingers crossed he has a good day today and can come home
Please spay your cat

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2009, 19:16:52 PM »
Oh karen i know exactly how you feel. I know its easier said than done but try not to panic, if belle isn't drinking at the moment he might not have any urine in him. I can't stress to you enough how belle really is in the best place xx

Link to CatChat