Author Topic: Worried sick about Belle  (Read 18807 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Worried sick about Belle
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2009, 19:09:47 PM »
Yep a catheter goes directly into the bladder, through the uretha (wee wee pipe)!  ;)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2009, 19:00:46 PM »
Phew, thanks for that Den, it's rested my mind a lil bit  :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2009, 18:55:52 PM »
With the catheter in he cannot be blocked  :hug: it's physically impossible. A lot of times they can become blocked after the catheter has been removed, but lets not worry about that now.

They use the catheter to drain urine from the bladder, it could just be he didn't have much in him after all the puddles last night. He just needs a bit of time to produce some more. It took a while for them to find crystals in Memphis' urine, so I really wouldn't worry. It does all sound normal. Keeping him in their is the best thing, they can keep an eye on him and monitor his fluid intake/outake.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2009, 18:37:48 PM »
Thanks both of you xxx

I don't understand why he's not making any urine with the catheter in him, or I wonder am I not clear in what they told me, maybe they meant they did get a sample but it there was too much blood for analysis? Surely if he wasn't peeing cos he's blocked they'd know? I asked if I should be really worried and she said it's too soon to say until they've done a urine test.
Driving myself mad now. Trying to have a very early night tonight, tomorrow can't come quick enough.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2009, 18:32:20 PM »
Nothing to add to whats already been said but am thinking about Belle and yourself!  :Luv: :hug:

Sending positive vibes....try to relax Karen...he is in the best possible place at the momment and before you know it he will be home safe feeling tons better!  :grouphug:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2009, 18:18:25 PM »
Don't know if it helped him but it absolutely broke my heart  :'(
He's still more or less out from the sedation, I put the pyjama top I wore last night in with him.

Does this sound good? Like them not being able to get a proper sample for the blood? I'm so worried I feel ill. I really can't cope with anything happening to one of my cats at the minute  :'(

Karen honey you have done all you can do for him at the moment,  it all sounds normal he will be fine,  nothing awful will happen,  he is just a bit poorly but it will get sorted,  dont make yourself ill,  he needs you at the moment xxxxx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2009, 17:50:30 PM »
Well the websites say blood in urine is a sign of cystitis so that's a normal thing to expect. Plus he had a huge puddle yesterday after his injection and he probably hasn't eaten/drunk a lot since. So yes I would say things sound about right.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2009, 17:44:13 PM »
Don't know if it helped him but it absolutely broke my heart  :'(
He's still more or less out from the sedation, I put the pyjama top I wore last night in with him.

Does this sound good? Like them not being able to get a proper sample for the blood? I'm so worried I feel ill. I really can't cope with anything happening to one of my cats at the minute  :'(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2009, 15:51:31 PM »
An overnight stay to monitor might be best hun, and he is in the best place  :hug:

I would go and visit him, and take something which smells of you, maybe a jumper of fleece or something, that will make him far more comfortable  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2009, 15:32:47 PM »
Can you go and visit him Karen ?,  you will feel much better when you have seen him  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2009, 15:10:54 PM »
Belle really is in the best place  :hug: :hug: can you go and visit?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2009, 15:10:47 PM »
Awww, poor Belle. He's in the best possible place. They will no doubt give him plenty of fluids and food which will get producing plenty of urine.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2009, 15:05:04 PM »
Said they were only able to get a tiny bit of urine with the catheter and there was a lot of blood in it so they couldn't tell if there were crystals or not. Want to keep him overnight to try and get more urine  :'(

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2009, 14:56:22 PM »
Giving it 5 mins and I'm gonna ring, climbing the walls here and trying hard not to think the worst

Don't think like that, if there was anything wrong they would have called you  :hug: No news is good news. He's fine and is probably napping or being a pain  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2009, 14:54:44 PM »
Giving it 5 mins and I'm gonna ring, climbing the walls here and trying hard not to think the worst

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2009, 13:59:39 PM »
Just ring them,  I always ring about 3 hours before they say I should ring  ;D   

:hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2009, 13:58:30 PM »
If you are that worried, then phone them  :hug: That's what I ended up doing, they will completely understand.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2009, 13:56:11 PM »
No word yet, wish they'd hurry up, this waiting is driving me crazy.

Thanks for the links everyone, I'll read them properly later

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »
From what I've read on the subject. Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease is a collection of different things which affect the bladder or urinary system. Cystitis is an inflammation of the bladder of the bladder which causes a lot of discomfort when passing urine and sometimes blood is seen. Then you have the stones of which there are 2 types. These are formed in the bladder, if they fall into the urethra the block the passage of urine. So you end up with a blocked bladder which can't empty, and you end up with kidney problems as they can't remove toxins. It's fatal if not treated.

This was a great website which explains it all and it really helped to understand things.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/urinary.html

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
http://www.aht.org.uk/pdf/feline_FLUTD.pdf

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/flutd/info.html

http://www.applaws.co.uk/?in_section=health&page=flutd

You might find these links helpful.

We never had any form of crystals with Jess, but in most cases there are crystals.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2009, 12:23:28 PM »
Yeah they're to phone sometime today.
I read that about Memphis, I'd be totally amazed if Belle turned on anyone like that but time will tell. I've had him since the day he was born and he's never scratched or bitten a soul.

I was a bit slow typing so ended up crossposting.

I've known Memph since he was 3 weeks and hand fed him. He's always been so sweet and harmless. Even at the vets when he was a tiny blip he was well behaved. He was very well handled by people (the litter was either abandoned or orphaned, no one knows for sure) so they were all hand raised. He had never attacked anyone, so it is shocking to see how bad they can be at the vets.

They did say it's always the quiet ones that are the worst  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »
Hope everything goes well and he's soon allowed home  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »
Lou Lou Flump had a 'BEWARE' sign on her cage at the vets,  they even had to get Steve to take the drip out of her leg before she could come home because anyone 'green' couldnt get anywhere near her without her swiping,  growling or trying to bite them.

I think Memphy has all kinds of caution labels on his files now. He practically shredded the entire back of the hand of one of the vets  :shocked: He removed his catheter which they couldn't replace because they couldn't get near him, so he ended up covered in urine  :doh: Then when he had to go back for a urine sample they waited all day to get a sample then were going to leave him over night because they couldn't get anywhere near him to sedate him. I think it's perfectly safe to say he hates vets. It's quite amusing in that he is the sweetest, cuddliest, soppiest cat ever. However, it is worrying to know he's like in case something like that every happens again - after all the vets need to get near to him to help him.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2009, 12:13:18 PM »
Yeah they're to phone sometime today.
I read that about Memphis, I'd be totally amazed if Belle turned on anyone like that but time will tell. I've had him since the day he was born and he's never scratched or bitten a soul.

That's awful about Ben, Gillian. I'm glad I noticed it in Belle in the day time, and doubly glad I noticed when I did cos the vet said a blockage can be fatal. A bit annoyed that his brothers and sister don't even seem to have noticed he isn't here lol

Is that what this feline urinary syndrome is, another name for cystitis?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »
I visited Jess every day and my vets encouraged it, they wouldn't let him out till he had had a wee but he wouldn't go till I'd been in. He was really scared and was hidden away with a towel over the cage. When Jess came home within 5 hours I was back at the vets as he had cystitis again and he did block again a week later, unfortunately this common.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »
Lou Lou Flump had a 'BEWARE' sign on her cage at the vets,  they even had to get Steve to take the drip out of her leg before she could come home because anyone 'green' couldnt get anywhere near her without her swiping,  growling or trying to bite them.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
Memphs was really, really grumpy with the vets, but as soon as he saw me he calmed down and began to eat. It was just so funny that any time someone in green would walk past his head would follow them and he would growl.

Are they going to phone later to tell you how he's getting on?

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2009, 11:35:12 AM »
When Lou Lou Flump was in I went and visited two times a day !,  the vets try to discourage it I think but when they saw how much brighter and better she was in herself when I visited they were fine with it.   Hope he is OK Karen xxx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
When my Ben had to be catheterized it was an emergency dash at 3am to the vets - so I stayed with him while the vet operated (its a single vet practice and vet lives on the premises which is good) She even got me to monitor his relfexes etc - yikes! It was all very quick, the catheter relieved the blockage straight away and he was then kept in for the remainder of the night (well, morning!)

Vet wanted to make sure he peed ok on his own, but later in the day she recommended bringing him home as she felt he'd be more relaxed in his own environment and more likely to pee - which is exactly what happened - not as soon as he got home, but about an hour later (with me watching his every move anxiously!).

I hope Belle can come home later on today and you manage to get through the the insurance company.  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
Thanks all. I read through the whole thread about Memphis' bladder problem through the night last night. Like you Den, I can't think of anything at all that could be stressing my Belle. Nothing in the house has changed at all and no fireworks even at this time of year. Single only thing I can think of is the change in weather cos he doesn't like the heat, but wouldn't have thought that would stress him out to this point.

I remember when Jasmine was in I asked to visit her and they weren't happy, but at that time I just went to the vets and asked to see her, they let me, so if Belle has to stay I'll do that again. I hope they have him sedated now cos my lil man will not be happy over there

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
Thats what we had with Jess too. Sedated and cathertised. Sometimes its best of they do stay in the vets, not good for us but better for them in the long run.

:hug: :hug: to you both

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
Good luck Karen,  sure it will all be OK.

Let us know how you get on

Claire x

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
Awwwwwww huge hugs to the pair of you.

At least he's not being opened up. Sounds like they are doing what they did with Memphis. If your vets are as nice as mine they should let you go and see him this afternoon just to say hi.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
Had to hang up with Tesco, will try again in a bit.

Back home from the vets, with no Belle  :(

He's not having an op, he's being sedated and a catheter put in. Got the bill and it says:
Sedation Fee (S.A) Small
Sal/Urinalysis
Catheterize dog/cat

For that and the 2 injections he had last night it's £72.28, which I can manage before payday.
I don't know if he can come home tonight, vet said it depends if there are any crystals. He squealed again when he was examined  :'(
They're to ring me later and update me. Fingers crossed he'll be ok  :'(

Then had a row with a woman in the car park when she put her terrier in the boot  :Crazy:
Some people shouldn't be allowed to have pets, it's really hot here today and the poor thing will have no air in the boot. She put him in the back seat with the windows down a touch.

Gonna clean the house to busy myself

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »
that is disgraceful - hope you get on ok at the vets and an op isn't necessary

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
Heading for an hour now  :-:
Gonna have to hang up soon cos I'm not ready and need to get the carrier out of the car. God help them later when I ring back.

Thanks, I'll let yous know when I get back xxx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
Best of luck today hunnie, keep up posted  :hug: :hug:

I know its hard, but try not to worry, and keep a note of all the questions you want to ask your vet, as its so hard when you're feeling stressed to remember everything  :hug: xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2009, 09:17:46 AM »
I think they are very rude...at times like this you should'nt have to go through this also!  >:( :Luv: :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
No only about 100 yards from my house. This music's driving me mad

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »
Grrr! Insurance comps really annoy me...they are quick enough to take your money though!  >:(

Is the vets far away Karen?  :Luv:

Link to CatChat