Author Topic: Worried sick about Belle  (Read 18805 times)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Re: Worried sick about Belle
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 09:09:12 AM »
Oh Karen,   I hope you get through soon,  cant believe you have been holding for so long  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
Now over 40 minutes waiting to talk to someone!  My patience is wearing extremely thin

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 09:02:44 AM »
Thinking of you and Belle today. Being upset is normal - I was in floods of tears when i left Jess I didn't want to hand him over.  :hug: :hug:

Passing blood is good because it means his weeing and the blockage might be passing though him.

I had to feed separate too for a while, it just meant I had to be a strict food monitor and couldn't leave food down.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »
15 mins and counting waiting to talk to someone at insurance  :tired:
'Your call is important' my bum.

He just missed the bedroom littertray again, he was struggling but managed a little puddle, looks a bit pink though, the vet said he might pass blood

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2009, 08:33:17 AM »
Good luck,  you have caught it all in time so things will be fine,   

:hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »
Good luck for today, and I would definitely be asking questions before I let them operate.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 07:41:02 AM »
Karen dont worry yourself too much hun....you are at the vets in a couple of hours and drips are better than nothing!  :hug:

Good luck for Belle's op, me and mine will be thinking of you both x

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 07:25:02 AM »
I had two with this problem, my persian nearly died twice when he was obstructed.
It was horrifying!
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 07:08:26 AM »
He seems to be back to the drips  :(
I brought a littertray up to the bedroom last night and at 5am he went in it, but it only looked to be a tiny dribble. As soon as I brought the littertray up last night he used it (well tried, but he missed and left a big puddle on the floor lol)

He seems totally fine in himself though, full of purrs and naughtiness as usual. Dreading the thought of having to leave him in the vets today  :'(

Thanks Gill, I will do that. The vet I saw today was actually really good (unlike a lot of them over there) so I'm praying we get him again today. I think he might have had antibiotics yesterday, I think one of the injections might have been them, not sure though.

Meeko's all in a pickle cos I'm up and he hasn't been fed yet lol. Will leave feeding the other 3 until I go to the vets.

Will also ring the insurance in an hour once they're open

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 00:19:19 AM »
Will be thinking of you both tomorrow  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 23:25:52 PM »
Hope all goes well at vets tomorrow and I would write a list of questions down to take with you. Put it in Belles carrier.

Top of list , is why do they need to open him up....make them explain so you understand before you sign anything.

Make a note of what Gillian said to see if it agrees with what they have said.

Stones show up on xray although that is an extra cost.

Franta has one kidney completely dead an blocked by stones, it shows up as a pea almost but he is doing fine with one kidney at present and is 16 in Aug.

Ask them if antibiotics will solve the problem and whay are your options for Belles treatment.

Lots of love to you and Belle  :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 23:03:59 PM »
Just caught up with this topic and fingers crossed for Belle that everything  goes okay at the vets tomorrow :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 21:25:07 PM »
I will do, thanks. The lil man is fast asleep on top of my wardrobe (he loves high up places), gonna bring a littertray up to my bedroom tonight to try and keep him close so I can keep my eye on him. From what I've seen he's bright as a button in himself though.

Just had a wee word with his Mammy Jasmine and asked her to help him, silly as it may sound

Not at all silly,   jasmine will look after him  :hug:

Let us know how it goes tomorrow and dont worry about the insurance/vets thing,  just phone them first thing xxxx

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 21:22:07 PM »
I will do, thanks. The lil man is fast asleep on top of my wardrobe (he loves high up places), gonna bring a littertray up to my bedroom tonight to try and keep him close so I can keep my eye on him. From what I've seen he's bright as a button in himself though.

Just had a wee word with his Mammy Jasmine and asked her to help him, silly as it may sound

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 21:02:08 PM »
cow,  I hate  :censored: insurance companies.

Just phone them first thing honey xxx

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 20:59:29 PM »
 >:( Just spent 20 mins waiting to talk to someone at tesco and some snotty cow told me I'd rang the wrong place, have to ring the general customer queries and claim line when it opens at 8am

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 20:27:30 PM »
Poor Belle :hug:. Glad he's managing to produce some proper puddles, the injections must be working.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 20:19:14 PM »
That is good news   :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 20:18:19 PM »
I will try that. Thank you Daisy  :hug:

Update on the water, about 10 seconds after I posted on here there was a puddle on top of the littertray hood and another on the floor. But actual puddles rather than drips. Not sure if this is good or bad

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 20:14:33 PM »
I would ring the advice line,  they may not be able to help but I am a tenacious little thing when I get going and if I want an answer I phone everyone I can to get it.  x

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 20:12:13 PM »
Just sat down to ring them and they  :censored: closed at 8pm. There is a 24hour legal advice line for pet insurance, and an emergency veterinary helpline, should I ring one of those?

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 20:05:56 PM »
Phone the insurance company now hon and let them know what is happening,  they will send you out a claim form,  maybe they can do it by email ? xx

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 20:01:40 PM »
Well it was auto-renewal cos he's been with them for the last year. I just got the letter in to say it was renewed.

My baby Belle has just been and drank almost the full bowl of water! Surely that's a good sign? Watching like a hawk now to see how it goes with it coming out the other end

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 19:52:15 PM »
Sorry to hear about poor Belle, hope everything goes well tomorrow.

I'd give the vet a call about your insurance as they are likely to know about how to go about claiming etc.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 19:45:23 PM »
I thought he was too young for things like this.

He's insured with Tesco Extra, have looked out his policy schedule but can't find any claim form or the actual policy details. Does the schedule count as a certificate of insurance? Should I take it tomorrow? The policy was just renewed last week! Can't even see anywhere on the letter or schedule that mentions claiming.

Can happen at any age sadly.  :( often young neutered males.

I imagine you havent received the certificate of insurance as you only renewed last week, its probably on its way to you.  I would give the ins company a ring and request a claim form too.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 19:29:35 PM »
Thank you. I'm the same Belle, my sister just told me to wind my neck in lol. I had to try really hard not to cry in the vets surgery. Then almost crashed the car on the way home when the monkey somehow got out of the carrier, plonked himself on my knee and giving me headbutts, then got his head in the steering wheel and I nearly went into a white van. We only live about 150 yards from the vets but it was pouring with rain so I drove.

I can't believe it, he was fine (seemingly) yesterday and now all this. I thought he was too young for things like this.
He's insured with Tesco Extra, have looked out his policy schedule but can't find any claim form or the actual policy details. Does the schedule count as a certificate of insurance? Should I take it tomorrow? The policy was just renewed last week! Can't even see anywhere on the letter or schedule that mentions claiming.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 19:10:50 PM »
Aw hun, hope Belle will be fine  :hug:

Having just had some shock news about my boy today, I know what it feels like to 'be in bits' babe, its nothing to be ashamed of, and just shows how much you love your furbabes  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 18:51:19 PM »
With my vets they don't bill anything until the animal has been given the all clear. When Memph got blocked I think it was about a month and a half before I got hold of the bill (they claim directly from the insurance company) then it was 2 weeks for AXA to pay  :)

I'm in bits here and feel so stupid for it.

Don't feel stupid. You have no reason to at all. If it makes you feel any better I was in FLOODS of tears. I cried all the way to the vets, all the way home and whilst visiting him  :shocked: It's natural  :hug: He will be fine.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 18:44:35 PM »
Oh babe,  Belle will be fine,   with regards to paying the vet bill,   talk to the vet or phone them tonight,  explain he is insured and take an insurance claim form with you tomorrow,  I know my vet has claimed directly from my insurance before so I only had to pay the excess and not pay the whole bill and wait to get it back from the insurance company xxx

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 18:40:47 PM »
I'm in bits here and feel so stupid for it.

The vet just said the injections were to widen his tubes. He came in and climbed up on top of the kitchen cupboards (his favourite place, mostly cos the other 3 can't manage to climb up there and I think he shows off to them). The vet said he could be fed, I got the pouches out and showed them to him, he licked his lips and jumped straight down lol, bless his wee heart.
He seems comfortable at the minute but I'm keeping a close eye on him, the vet said if the injections do the trick he'll pee more or less as normal by tomorrow morning. Our appointment's at 9.40.

I'm so scared and worried. Dunno how I'm gonna pay for his op tomorrow cos I don't get paid til next week. He's insured but I dunno how long it takes to claim the money?
And dunno how I'm gonna manage feeding him separately from his brothers and sister. But as long as he's ok I'll sort all that stuff sorted out

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 18:26:22 PM »
Its good he's not blocked, and the anti inflammatory jab (presume thats what he's had?) will indeed relax his tubes a bit so hopefully he can pass urine easier and without pain. I'm guessing oxalate stones are suspected, and thats why they are opening him up as they can't be passed normally (as opposed to struvite which can).  :hug:

What she said  :hug: do get them to clarify what type he has tho as there are alternative treatment plans then just prescription food.
Good luck for your little boy

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 18:20:06 PM »
Positive vibes for the vets for tomorrow~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 18:17:36 PM »
Its good he's not blocked, and the anti inflammatory jab (presume thats what he's had?) will indeed relax his tubes a bit so hopefully he can pass urine easier and without pain. I'm guessing oxalate stones are suspected, and thats why they are opening him up as they can't be passed normally (as opposed to struvite which can).  :hug:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 18:16:30 PM »

For you,  hope Belle gets on OK tomorrow,   keep us updated x

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 18:09:03 PM »
Why are they going to open him up?

My boy got blocked last November. There is a large thread about it somewhere. He stayed in the vets for what seemed like forever, he had a catheter   and some fluids but nothing invasive. He's on a prescription diet and is doing incredibly well after the crystals eventually went away.

Lots of hugs for you, I know exactly how you are feeling  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 17:42:28 PM »
The vet said he has feline urinary syndrome. His bladder's distended a bit but not blocked, he squealed in pain tho when they touched it  :'(
He got 2 injections, I think they said to widen the tubes cos he's passing bits of sediment (?) with his urine. I'm not to feed him in the morning and they're gonna open him up. Then he said he'll be on a prescription diet the rest of his life. Does it sound silly to say I'm devastated? I feel awful for my poor lil man

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 17:08:44 PM »
Oh no  :(

Having been through a blocked bladder and knowing how serious it is, I would be knocking down the vets door. Everything crossed that he isn't blocked!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 17:00:07 PM »
Is it cystitis (SP),   sounds like it could be.   Good luck at the vets

Ditto!  ;)

I remember taking my Gigga to the vets when he was small, he had the same symptoms....Its more dangerous in a male than female but Im sure all will be fine as you have acted so quickly! Anti bs will sort him out!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 16:41:01 PM »
my vet had a knack to getting a sample - let them worry about that - he will feel better once the abs start to kick in

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 16:38:35 PM »
Good luck with the appointment, hope he hasnt blocked.  :hug:

Link to CatChat