Author Topic: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT  (Read 39342 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 00:41:01 AM »
Hum what about diddy dawn?

I would be happy to make a small donation to this cat also. On the understanding he is released into the care of someone else.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 00:37:37 AM »
Myself and my OH have been thinking about this one all day.

This might not help, but if there is some way of getting the RSPCA to release him, and we can find out exactly what is wrong with him we'd be willing to collect him (we live about 70 miles froom Bristol) and foster him until he was strong enough to make a longer journey to a permanent home.  I am happy to make a contribution to his vet bills if that is likely to swing the RSPCA.

Unfortunately we don't have any rescue connections though.

Gill is right about co-ordination.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 00:18:02 AM »
I agree Gill....

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS? I would do so, but have no experience of coming up against a company who are effectively 'the man'!

What we need is someone who has experience of dealing with the RSPCA (who are the BIG problem IMO), who is willing to enter into discussion with them say as a representative of an 'owner' whose cat went missing or whatever (I take the opinion that if a lie saves a life, it is not a lie, it is modified honesty :innocent: ) ....I think the key issue is that we all know that money is the only thing that the RSPCA are interested in and they will effectivley hold him to ransom until someone lines thier pockets, or that they will jump on the opportunity to scapegoat someone easy  >:(

Now we can get round this...but we need a brave soul to make the call...then we can work on the backstory, before they pick up the phone....... :evillaugh: naughty aren't I????

the second priority is to find out 'Trumans' health status. that way everyone knows the lay of the land. i personally agree with the fact that he is a classic hyperthyroid case and that is manageable....but we've got to find out. I would be willing to do this if a rescue would allow me to take thier name in vain ...I seriously doubt they would give info out to any tom dick or harry who enquired. If somone rings on behalf of a rescue, then they will take  the enquiry much more seriously.

As soon as these issues are sorted then  we can work out the logistics to travel etc. There are a lot of us on here who are more than happy to take a leg in a transport run.

But we need that special someone to make initial contact.with the RSPCA..anyone?  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 00:02:25 AM »
Fingers crossed for this little guy  :Luv2: - I too am scared of what the RSPCA might do - they scare me with their heartless PTS policies.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2009, 23:51:27 PM »
Im guessing the rspca are wanting to pts rather than spend any money on this little fella. Is it possible for someone to phone the vets and actually find out whats up with this cat, jack maybe  ;)

Im sure something can be sorted out if he's not too ill. If he is very ill tho it would be best for him to be let go  :( but we must find out for sure first.

He's a lovely little guy.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2009, 22:58:03 PM »
We need a plan here and someone to co-ordinate cos I have big fears about this little cat.

Moira where are you?

We need to know is the cat still alive, where he is, who is responsible for him, what his health situation is and would he be fit enough to travel?

We also need to ensure that all vet charges are paid before anyone goes to rescue the cat!

This thread is causing my puter to, lock everytime I come on here and reckon its the picture which is stopping every thing loading..........could someone try taking a copy of the picture and replacing the oriiginal with the copy to see if it helps me please.

Gonna have to leave Purrs now to get it to work again ........sigh

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2009, 19:57:22 PM »
hello all, still no joy speaking the vet, I believe her name is Ann Parry tel 01278 782671 its a vets that the rspca use,
I wont be calling the RSPCA again (will get the OH to) as time goes on the likleyhood of it being bad news is more and more.
I think our intrest in the cat is having an affect,
for anyone who wants more information the RSPCA are on Telephone: 01278 782671
Fax: 01278 794312 I spoke to the manager Nicky, as did Simon (oh) if you would consider giving him a home perhaps you can speak to the vet to get a better understanding of his condition, I dont trust the RSPCA at all, ill be honest about that, perhaps he is very ill or maybe they're laying it on, perhaps you will be able to judge the situation better than us,

so glad to have you all beind me

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2009, 19:24:45 PM »
I just hope they will surrender him, theres offers of loving homes so how they could decide to deny him that i dont know  :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2009, 19:22:34 PM »
I agree - currently the key thing that matters for this lad is a permanent loving home in my opinion. Unless a cat is really ill or timid they can get over the stress of most journeys as far as I'm aware.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2009, 19:02:45 PM »
I do hope hes ok :wish:
Distance shouldnt be a problem if he can just make it out of their grasp, a transport run purrs style would get him any where

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 15:33:42 PM »
I'm wondering about this guy too. :scared: Just phoned  the vets he's at and it's emergency services only so the lady was covering a few practices and didn't know if he was still at the practice in Bristol.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 15:37:57 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 14:20:32 PM »
Any news on this little one?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »
Everything crossed that you can sort something out for this little man before its too late :scared: im in Mansfield  and i suppose like so many others its to far away other wise i would willingly have taken him,i already have 2 oldies with special needs so another one wouldnt  be aproblem ,plus i have an enclosed garden, :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
Do hope you can sort something out for this poor boy  :(
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 23:34:49 PM »
Oh, believe me, if I could drive I'd be there tomorrow!

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 23:21:58 PM »
OH has just finished consoling me...i've been on floods of tears over this little man....especially when i heard that the RSPCA have him..... :scared:

I was contemplating driving the distance and playing the 'A forum friend mentioned you have a blind cat that fits the description of my baby (insert name here), he went missing about a (insert time period here), i rushed over here.....can i check.....cue floods of tears, happy reunion, bells ring out...etc'...and just get him out of there.....he must have got in a van, been picked up..... ;)

Ten years old with problems that any good potential owner could manage...hes only a year older than my Keli....oh dear I feel myself welling up again......

I'm gonna be praying for a happy ending, theres been too much of the bad sort recently..... :wish: :wish: :wish:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 23:05:25 PM »
Hoping this wee one is still ok.

Unless the liver / bowel problems are very bad indeed, there doesn't seem to be anything too bad - certainly nothing that can't be dealt with.

Fingers crossed.

I'd offer to take him, but we're near Leeds too, and as already said, that's probably a bit far.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 19:32:35 PM »
hmmmmm since getting back from work and speaking to the OH properly it seems there was a recording on at the vets the usual saying, sorry we're closed, but he said the message says they closed at 4pm, the manager at rspca was very specific she wanted me to call at 4 or after to speak to the vet.... an honest mistake maybe but seems a bit odd.....

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 19:17:58 PM »
He's so sweet, let us know when you've got in touch with the vets. :)

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 17:13:37 PM »
Simon was too late calling..... they're shut at 17.00 i didint think they would be but...  :( we'll call first thing in the morning

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 17:05:12 PM »
So if he is not chipped, anyone could phone and claim to be his owner, as long as they have a description of him :shify:.  Mind you, I expect the RSPCA may well then want to pursue cruelty issues knowing them :censored:

my theroy was to play the 'old' owner card,  and say you rehomed the cat a year or so ago through a friend of a friend...

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 16:55:13 PM »
'I don't understand how a blind cat can have fended for itself for very long on the streets though - surely it must have had somewhere safe until very recently?'

If he is not malnourished and doesn't have fleas it would suggest that he has had an owner and just andered off. I would have thought the RSPC would have been the first place the owners called. It may be that he wandered off and they weren't really wanting him back.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 16:49:41 PM »
I don't understand how a blind cat can have fended for itself for very long on the streets though - surely it must have had somewhere safe until very recently?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 16:48:35 PM »
So if he is not chipped, anyone could phone and claim to be his owner, as long as they have a description of him :shify:.  Mind you, I expect the RSPCA may well then want to pursue cruelty issues knowing them :censored:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 16:46:57 PM »
the other half is calling the vets now from his work.
the lady i spoke to said she would 'notify' the vet we were going to call, but i think she will want the vet to lay it on as much as possible.
I dont know I'm not a vet, there could be a hundred other thigns the vets tell Simon now, we'll just have to see,
I'll update as soon as I know what the vet has said.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 16:41:33 PM »
Nothing below strikes me of a cat thats suffering so much he needs to be pts, obviously he will be uncomfortable but nothing there thats terminal sounding.

Detatched retinas - often caused by a thyroid problem
broken tail - a new break or one thats set and doesnt bother him?
Ear mites - easily treated
approx ten yrs old. - thats not old
possible liver and bowel problems - go hand in hand with thyroid problems, also if he has been straying along time he will have eaten all sorts of yuk  :(

The way your post reads is that they wont let him be adopted? Or will they let you take him off their hands? :wish:

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 16:14:05 PM »
I'm not a vet but nothing you have listed would to me warrant pts. I would at least want a second opinion from my own vet. Please try to get the RSPCA to hold fire. My offer to take him stands regardless as to whether is is FIV+ or not. He is better with my FIV guys than pts. I have e-mailed you my work number and my mobile number. I have adopted from CPL in Tyneside and Animal Accident Rescue, Nottingham if RSPCA need references. When you say they are waiting to see if his owner comes forward I assume he isn't chipped so how will they know if someone (anyone) comes forward and claims him?

there will be no way of knowing who owns him, hes not chipped that was the first thing, just makes you wonder where he has been for 10 years,
he looks like he has so much character

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 15:09:05 PM »
I'm not a vet but nothing you have listed would to me warrant pts. I would at least want a second opinion from my own vet. Please try to get the RSPCA to hold fire. My offer to take him stands regardless as to whether is is FIV+ or not. He is better with my FIV guys than pts. I have e-mailed you my work number and my mobile number. I have adopted from CPL in Tyneside and Animal Accident Rescue, Nottingham if RSPCA need references. When you say they are waiting to see if his owner comes forward I assume he isn't chipped so how will they know if someone (anyone) comes forward and claims him?

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 14:41:07 PM »
Right, I have just spoken to the manager at RSPCA now its not really brilliant news,
the cat is still alive,
they are waiting for an owner to come forward.
she says that his condition wasnt bad enough for instant euthinasia but still this is the outcome they expect in a few days,

His conditions are as follows,
Detatched retinas
broken tail
Ear mites
approx ten yrs old.
possible liver and bowel problems.

To get more information I can contact his vet from 16.00 onwards if anyone has anything they would like me to ask please let me know

now if you have read the post on pet forums, you will know he was found in the street rescused, taken to someones home, taken to a vets who couldnt see him then taken to another vets for a day or so then taken to brent knoll and is now with another vet, as expierienced cat owners im sure you can make up you own mind but i know all too well that stress and confusion can have a huge affect on a cats toilet behaviour, and think we can all agree this must be a very stressed and confused cat. 

I do feel perhaps I am fighting a lost cause, I am after all new to cat rescue and am still finding it hard not to get extremley emotionally involved with each case.

help with the cat would be amazing, but if anyone thinks I need to let him go please tell me.

they say they will make the decision (i know what it will be all too well) if the owner dosent come forward, if one did and said they wanted the cat to be kept alive and treated then that would be amazing, but I just dont know.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 14:17:33 PM »
just eating will call in about 15 mins, I'm prepared for the worse though...

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 14:07:31 PM »
fingers are crossed you manage to get something sorted for this wee fella... he'd be so handsome too with some TLC and care.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 13:20:37 PM »
one of the problems with Trigger is he freaks out if taken in a car, so visits to the vet for tests would be the most stressful thing I could do to him

but he's had two other introductions without turning many hairs, and would I am sure be equally laid back about another - this is a very tranquil household, and a blind cat would be safe in my enclosure
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 13:16:47 PM »
Just to say before FIP can develop he would need to be tested for Corona virus and this can mutate to FIp when things get to stressed for them - we had this with Gem and she lost that battle and we were left with he surviving kitten who is a Corona carrier.
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Ifs hes being 'rehomed' to Joote then the RSPCA should sort out his problems eg blood tests dental etc before hes released? If not then they should be signing him over to Joote so she(?) is free to do as she wishes with him eg rehome privately or place in a rescue elsewhere in the UK

if his only medical problem, after treatment, is blindness, I might be able to take him, as long as he is not FelV positive (Trigger must not be exposed to leukemia, or FIP may surface)

Trigger, stress is the main cause of fip mutation so that is the most important thing to avoid, adoption is a time of great stress.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
Excellent. He is such a sweet looking little guy.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »
I have an offer for FIV postive and FIV negative so hopefully even if hes that ill he could have a decent home,

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »
This lad is now my Facebook profile picture with a message asking if anyone I know in Bristol can take him on.....you never know. :shy:

that is brilliant very kind of you

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 12:52:22 PM »
I feel so stupid!! i should have got you involved ASAP and now i seem to be getting somewhere and its frustrating because im at work in a call center and I cant respond very well.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »
This lad is now my Facebook profile picture with a message asking if anyone I know in Bristol can take him on.....you never know. :shy:

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »
unfortunantly my lunch break is not until 14.00 so i cant call RSPCA until then but i will obtain as much info on the cat as possible, hopefully he is still with us,

time is of the essence but i cant do much until then!

Link to CatChat