Author Topic: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT  (Read 39125 times)

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
Re: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2009, 14:25:05 PM »
oh dont be so modest trigger you played a key role too and i know you were quite willing to take him on also!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2009, 14:18:35 PM »
how awful that a little old blind man like this should be out on the streets

well done Moira - he most certainly would be dead if it were not for you and Justine and the lady who first found him
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2009, 14:02:11 PM »
He's lovely! How cosy he looks on the bed. I'm so glad he's OK.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #209 on: March 16, 2009, 13:37:34 PM »
Hi All

Well, as Justine said, it has been a very emotionally and physically exhausting weekend - but well worth it.

Truman is, indeed, a very old and doddery guy. The RSPCA put him at 14+ and I would say at least that. He is very frail and boney and weighs, I would estimate at around 2-3 kgs.

I have put up a make shift pen/corral for him in my bedroom out of boxes about 2 meters by 3 meters on a big piece of vinyl I had left over from doing my middle room downstairs. He will stay in there when I am out until he is oriented to his blanket, food/water and litter tray. I have also plugged in a Feliway diffuser to help him chill out.

Yesterday I was a bit worried about him because he didn't move away from his blanket all day and didn't eat anything or drink. However, at 5:00pm I put a bowl of biscuits in front of him and he lept up (slight exaggeration :) ) and scoffed the lot and went on to eat a pouch of whiskers senior and take a long drink.

I woke this morning to find he had pooed (normal amount and consistency) and peed, unfortunately not in his litter tray. I have moved his litter tray to where he pood and put some paper towel soaked in his urine in it so hopefully he will get the message. I was relieved that he was much perkier this morning and ate a pouch of whiskers senior, some biscuits and took a drink. I think he was just exhausted after his journey yesterday. I have make an appointment to take him to my vet on Thursday - I wanted to give him a couple of days to relax.

I will post again on Friday and let you know what the vet says.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #208 on: March 16, 2009, 13:24:26 PM »
Glad to hear that Truman has arrived safely and getting cared for at last  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2009, 19:32:11 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: cant wait to see pics  ;D

However, it saddens me that you guys can't appreciate a little more about what the RSPCA faces EVERY single day.

That can be said for every rescue tho, many of our members are rescues themselves or involved with so do appreciate the daily pressures. For me the difference is that the rspca is a rich brand and they should be supporting all their branches with alot more funds to allow them to help more, the small/individual rescues put every last penny into it and always manage to help just one more without having to pts after the statutory 7 days.  :shy:
'We never ignore a cry for help' the advert says, i just wish it were true.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
I think we all know that RSPCA branches, employees and volunteers want to do the very best for every animal, and that there is no way finite resources and valuable time can be spent on each

I suppose the bottom line is that on here there is a desire to save the most needy, and the RSPCA needs to save the fittest

but personally I wish they would get more involved in the neutering and spaying of animals - I do think the CP could teach them a lesson there
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline weebowobble

• Kitten
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
Pleased to hear Truman made it safely to his new home.

I have followed this forum with a mixture of emotions right the way through and it was fantastic to have passionate people willing to carry out many different ideas to help this little man.
My contact with Moira has been warm, respectful and understanding and I do hope she brings to this website a bit of  positivity regarding the RSPCA.

However, it saddens me that you guys can't appreciate a little more about what the RSPCA faces EVERY single day. We deal with the likes of Truman constantly and NO, every animal cannot have the outcome we would like. There is not the rescue space nor the finance, so occasionally these hard decisions have to be made by somebody. I personally see it that whatever decision is made 50% of people will not agree, so always a no win situation.

During her visit,we introduced Moira to Heidi. a 9 year black & white female that came to us LAST January 2008!
After months of treatment and tests we finally got her ongoing skin allergy under control, but only with a daily oral dose of steroid. But we CANNOT find her a home :( Despite all her investigation complete and ongoing medication not expensive, she is still with us. Heidi has a beautiful temperament but she will NOT tolerate other cats AT ALL. Now it is likely that anyone reading this already has a housefull, but just in case you may know of someone looking for that perfect 'lap cat' companion in a quiet home please send them in the direction of RSPCA Brent Knoll :thanks:

I am sure my identity will be guessed. Keep up your passion and yes, I may be on this site regularly asking for your help?

Yours respectfully ..........

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2009, 01:22:35 AM »
What wonderful news  :Luv2:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2009, 00:13:16 AM »
I love it when a plan comes together!  :innocent:

What an excellent outcome.....well done all involved!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2009, 00:00:35 AM »
So pleased that Truman has arrived in his forever home and think you are right, no tests would have been done without the intervention.  :hug:

I sounds like he is a very grateful little man and am sure he will blosssom with TLC and food  ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2009, 23:56:09 PM »
So pleased for little Trueman, he is home now and i wish him a long and happy life. ;D

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2009, 20:52:10 PM »
Great news!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2009, 20:51:37 PM »
great to hear it all went well - I have had several litters of kittens waiting for news, which will all now need rehoming too  :rofl:

well done you and Moira - it does sound as if he's been plucked from the jaws of death, first on the road, and then from the RSPCA

lovely to hear he still has his purring mechanism intact :Luv:

Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2009, 20:43:03 PM »
Hello everyone sorry for the late response, i feel exhausted, i think this little fellow has taken his toll on me mentally and emotionally over the last few weeks that now my body is shutting down! It dosent help that last night at 2am a downpour from the offices above my flat came through my ceiling! but thankfully all the keruffle only last an hour and didint disturb Moira.

Well we headed down bright and early to brent knoll today where we were told Truman would be brought down withing the  next half hour, Moira handled all the paper work, we looked at his medical notes,
I'd like to point out we both noticed that they said "someone interested in rehoming so we are running some tests" well more or less those words which implied he may not have recieved these without our support, and due to the shocking results he got his 10th life, and perhaps a lesson has been taught not to judge every book by its cover,

we were invited to look at the cattery while we were there and i must admit having never been in one i wasnt sure how i would feel, but the cats were very well looked after and spoilt with a choice of toys, was brilliant to know two had been reserved that day and as we left another couple were heading there to find a new furbaby.

finally it was time for us to meet the man of the hour!
as soon as his carrier was opened he was climbing out towards us and rubbing his face on our hands, moira picked him up for a cuddle and he was very much enjoying the fuss i was giving him, even though he is blind there is something about him when hes looking (so to speak) at you as if he can see you, he didint try to wriggle out of Moiras grasp the entire time and started purrring,

he does have a cyst on his neck/throat but this he will have to live with as he cant undergo surgery due to his kidneys, it dosent seem to bother him and i imagine its condition will improve after some much needed TLC. he has longer fur than you could tell from the other picture not a fluffy cat but longer than the average SH.

anyway we said our good byes and popped him in the car, he cried a bit on the car journey back to mine but also slept part of the way.
I spoke to Moira this evening and she said they got home fine and he slept most of the way, he is currently exploring her bedroom with curiosity which is a good sign, he's also eating well i am told!

I have a few pictures on my mobile but i cant get them on the pc or send them via text message which is a shame,

just wanted all of you to know he is safe and sound and i, like you all, will look forward tohearing about his progress in the next few days!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 20:43:41 PM by Joote »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2009, 19:33:07 PM »
Any news?  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2009, 22:31:16 PM »
can't wait for the first photos of the little fella :wow:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2009, 21:28:20 PM »
YAY!  ;D  Am SO pleased. Couldn't find the thread for a while and thought something awful had happened! Can't wait to see photos. What a wonderful outcome to what had all the signs of a tragic story. 

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2009, 13:34:34 PM »
Such lovely news for the gorgeous lil fella  :Luv2:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2009, 13:30:59 PM »
'It would be lovely if the other homes now with an unused space went to their local rescues and adopted the oldest cat they have in honour of Truman'
Lovely idea. Or possibly any handicapped or hard to rehome cat.  If anyone does, post on here and let us know.

We're going away soon for our first holiday in three years, but when we get back will be adopting at least one oldie...unless a needy cat finds us first ;D.  Rest assured there will be lots of piccies and news when we do!

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2009, 13:08:40 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

There aren't enough dancing bananas in the world! I'm so happy!

Blessings from Casa Koscha for all those who helped this wee man.......

The Purrs possee...a force to be reckoned with!  :rofl:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2009, 09:51:31 AM »
So pleased he got a happy ending, especially after reading about Codys plight recently ;D

Look forward to reading about Truemans progress and hopefully some pictures.

Well done to all involved what a fantastic forum Purrs is :wow:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
'It would be lovely if the other homes now with an unused space went to their local rescues and adopted the oldest cat they have in honour of Truman'

Lovely idea. Or possibly any handicapped or hard to rehome cat.  If anyone does, post on here and let us know.

I am driving down on Friday, coming back Saturday so will get Justine to post for me on Saturday evening to let you know how Truman is after his journey.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2009, 23:27:45 PM »
Jack you made me get lost!!!!  :evillaugh:

Well done Trueman and everyone that helped the wee fellow  :hug: Fantastic  ;D

I dont have any unused space but have not long adopted an oldie, so he can be mine in Trueman's honor  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2009, 20:02:37 PM »
It would be lovely if the other homes now with an unused space went to their local rescues and adopted the oldest cat they have in honour of Truman   :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2009, 19:47:49 PM »
Fan-bloomin-tastic news  :wow: I hope Truman settles in OK and look forward to hearing (and seeing  :pic:) how he's doing  ;D

Lets not forget others on here who also offered a home. I thought I might have to fight you all for him :)

Absolutely, it was heartwarming to see so many people willing to help him  :Luv2:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2009, 19:28:31 PM »
Aww brilliant way to go Trueman!  ;D
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2009, 19:14:50 PM »
 :cheer: :yayyy: :cheer: :yayyy: :cheer: :yayyy: :cheer: :yayyy: :cheer: :yayyy: :cheer: :yayyy: :cheer: :yayyy: :cheer: :yayyy:

Im so pleased to see this moved into the homed section  ;D
Excellent result  :Luv2:

Offline tilly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2009, 19:13:33 PM »
I have just had to speed read through all the post on both forums to see how Truman is and if he made it. I am so glad he did and he now has a lovely new home.

Sally
You onl get one life so make sure you live it to the full

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2009, 18:36:02 PM »
 ;D Great news, he looks such a sweetie xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2009, 17:24:58 PM »
It's alright - I'll move it to the homed section. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2009, 17:20:29 PM »
i suppose i should change the thread title????? dont know how to...

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2009, 17:19:47 PM »
lol i'll be seeing bananas everytime i shut my eyes!!!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2009, 17:12:54 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

YET AGAIN ANOTHER CAT SAVED BY THE WONDERFUL PEOPLE ON PURRS .....WELL DONE TO EVERYONE INVOLVED

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2009, 17:12:17 PM »
lol i need to give some of these i think  :yayyy::yayyy::yayyy::yayyy::yayyy::yayyy::yayyy::yayyy::yayyy::yayyy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2009, 17:03:07 PM »
What a wonderful result, thank you to everyone involved  ;D ;D

I look forward to seeing pictures of Truman and hearing how he progresses,,,,,,,,,so proud to be among you Purrs people  :wow:

:yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2009, 17:01:15 PM »
 :wow: Great news and a happy ending for Trueman, and a big thank you to Joote for starting this appeal , and all the purrs people for their support. I dont know why i am thanking every one  :rofl: but this made my day.

Moira i hope Truman settles well in your home and gets on well with your cats. :hug:

Definitely its time for  :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2009, 17:00:51 PM »
well done to everyone I won't name names but you know who you are

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2009, 17:00:07 PM »
Lets not forget others on here who also offered a home. I thought I might have to fight you all for him :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #173 on: March 11, 2009, 16:53:53 PM »
if anyone else thanks me I shall withdraw my offer immediately  :evillaugh:

the real thanks go to the lovely people who have made this possible, and especially Moira who has come forward without a second's hesitation to give him a forever home
Robert A. Heinlein:

Link to CatChat