Author Topic: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT  (Read 39126 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2009, 22:12:38 PM »
Fingers crossed it all works out  fine for trueman,i love it when a plan comes together :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2009, 22:01:16 PM »
Really hope this works out for the little man  :wish: He's a lucky little boy to have so many people wanting to help him - the power of Purrs  :)

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2009, 21:24:50 PM »
Ok, we've got progress here..... :)

It's good news that Truman is in a fosterers as that means that vet bills are not increasing with having him stuck in a pen. Money that the RSPCA will want justified in some way or other....yes all expenditure has to be justified, but they take it to a whole new level... >:(

As far as I am aware with regards to a RSPCA homecheck, Trumans blindness automatically categorises him as an indoor cat, so a busy road would not be such an issue, you would just need to satisfy them that you have thought about how to stop him getting out the front door. As Moira has had several homechecks they would be fools to demand another one...

I agree that calls should now be kept to as few people as possible, as if a few white lies need to be told, the more people that get involved the more chance of being rumbled.....

Money is what makes the RSPCA's world, that and glorification, lets see what thier price is, i'm sure between the lot of us we can sort it..... :)

Ok, lets see what the next few days worth of phonecalls brings us....

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2009, 20:23:29 PM »
thats alright then all we need is the cat, I dont have much room but if Moira does the journey on her own she can always do half stay at mine then go back with truman, im a bit useless with the transportation side of things

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2009, 19:59:56 PM »
Excellent, theres a home, theres transport and theres donations if needed so all we need now is Truman, im hoping and praying they let him out :wish:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2009, 19:53:53 PM »
Ok it looks like we have a plan coming together and Moira I believe is Leicester way.

I agrre with MM that its best for Moira ro do the talking now so stories do not get confused. Also Moira has been home checked twice so she should be seen as a good home for Truman.

If there are problems transporting him, then I , accompanied by Trigger would be happy to collect him from Bristol and meet Moira onwards to wards her cos I dont want to leave Franta for more than about 6 hours at present.

We would need to get donations for any outstanding vet bills sorted so there is no problem with release. although as he is with a fosterer he either isnt being treated or RSPCA have coughed up.

I dont know if RSPCA would expect money from us?

So we need Moira to post on here next the situation and what we need to do to help.

Thank you everyone and so hope this is a good result for Truman  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2009, 19:28:54 PM »
No problem - I'll hang fire until after Moiras been on to update. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2009, 19:26:32 PM »
yep moira cannot get online atm i believe. she should post tomorrow

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2009, 19:19:30 PM »
I think people need to hold off phonecalls until Moira can post here and update us as to how things stand, too many calls to the vets and RSPCA are only going to end up annoying them, time is money they say.
Crossed wires could also work against him, we need Moira (not 2d) to post  ;D hopefully if she speaks to the vet she can persuade them not to write him off.

If the RSPCA know theres a secure home and donations to help thats as much power as we can hope for, its their call to release him for rehoming.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2009, 19:06:42 PM »
I'm assuming Moira is 2d - is that right? So basially what we're trying to do is get him released from RSPCA care, is that the general gist? If Moira has already contacted the RSPCA I'm not sure there's anything more that can be done in all honesty. It's a watch and wait situation - what response was given when they were contacted with the offer of a potential home?

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2009, 18:39:04 PM »
Jack Sprat - Moira is offering him a home and is willing to come and get him (if this happens i will contribute to petrol) she has taken the inititive to contact rspca and explain, and provide them with details on other rescue centers who can vouch for her as homechecked. She also has a cat proofed garden and experience with cats who need a bit more attention than the average.

if its coming down to contributions perhaps it would be an idea to get a rough idea of how much we're all willing to contribute? i dont know, if they say well, his vets bills will be this ____ much 

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2009, 18:24:05 PM »
No idea if it would help or not, but the offer's genuine.  Checked with hub before making it.

Also no idea if we'd pass an rspca check or not, as we live on a road that has a reputation of being busy (it's not remotely as busy as it's reputed to be, but it puts off people sometimes). 
If he were to come here (realise all is still hypothetical) he'd have to be indoors cos of the blindness (possibly only till I save enough to cat proof the back garden - saving because it ain't small   :innocent:  ).  No idea whether that'd make any difference with the rspca rules on roads.

On the upside, I have looked after a blind cat before, and indoor cats, so it ain't like our eyes are shut to the responsibility or the occasional challenge of keeping them in!

That said the distance might put them off, so it may be better to say nothing?? 

I have no experience of dealing with the rspca (other than frustration at them refusing to help some 'guard dogs' down the road), so I don't know.

Anyway, if you think it'll help, feel free.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2009, 17:51:45 PM »
So I'll call the RSPCA and say people are willing to donate specifically to Truemans care - should I also tell them there's the offer of a home?

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2009, 17:49:36 PM »
:wish:
At least he is somewhere safe at the moment, hoping so much there is a positive outcome.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2009, 16:58:01 PM »
from what Moira said i think Rita (the fosterer) is an ex employee or vet nurse.

Jack Spratt, calling the RSPCA will do no harm and expressing our willingness to contribute to vets bills would be very much appreciated, they're not open until tuesday now i believe, the next step is to speak to Moira after she has called the vet as they seem to be saying its the vets opinion that is the deciding factor

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2009, 16:51:52 PM »
I know of 2 fosters for the rspca, one which takes in kittens and rehomes them.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2009, 16:43:59 PM »
A foster carer for the RSPCA? That's a rarity near us, is that common in Bristol?

Do I still need to call tomorrow?

I know of a lady who fostered for the Halifax RSPA, I was told that they have fosterers for the older or ill cats who would be distressed in the pens.

Glad that Trueman is safe  :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 16:44:47 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2009, 16:36:39 PM »
A foster carer for the RSPCA? That's a rarity near us, is that common in Bristol?

Do I still need to call tomorrow?

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2009, 16:23:55 PM »
update,

Moira has called me an hour or so ago and she has spoken to Nicky manager at RSPCA also,
there iss ome good news, Truman as ive dubbed him is with a foster carer called Rita, (this however had not been mentioned to either me or Simon) so this shows that perhaps he is not that ill that he needs to be at a vets 24/7 Moira is going to call the vets tomorrow as the RSPCA have said they will have to go with whatever the vet says is best for the cat.
fingers crossed now everyone!

I am happy to think he is recieving some much needed love and attention atm with the fosterer.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2009, 16:14:12 PM »
I think it could be a case of who's going to pay the vet bill! If you could phone the rspca and tell them that the funds are going to be paid, maybe this would be a different storey? Maybe this would be best off done by a rescue close by.

Like I said I am willing to make a small donation to Trueman and hopefull others will be able to too. A little from everyone will amount to a lot.  :)

When I took a stray to be neutered I wanted him tested for FIV too, I was planning to keep him myself. The cp would not agree to neutering him if he turned out to be FIV, and if he was pos he would of been pts no questions asked  >:( but this "procedure" was swiftly abandoned once I had agreed to pay for the vets costs. So what Im saying is if the rspca think the buck is going to be passed onto someone else, they may just go for that.  :sneaky:

There was a stray wandering near my house a few years ago. My mum took her to the vets and turned out she was chipped. So the vet called the owner to tell them she had been found, only for the onwer to say "oh she is deaf and always wandering off, we dont want her anymore"! This cat turned out be be 15 and she had cancer also  :(

Part of me thinks people just throw their old and ill cats out on the street as they cant be arsed to help them anymore, or pay for their medical needs  >:(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2009, 15:58:16 PM »
Hmmm. I don't think much to his chances if the RSPCA decided they were going to treat him as a stray. Ours won't even take them in any more!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 15:58:28 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2009, 15:48:34 PM »
If a blind cat with untreated medical conditions is wandering the streets of Bristol, what sort of owner would it be anyway? if the RSPCA really cares about animal welfare, they should not be willing to release such a poorly cat back into the owner's care

I don't for the life of me see why this little puss should be treated as anything other than a stray
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2009, 15:47:01 PM »
D'you know, the only time I've found I can fib is if it regards an animals welfare! Any other time I go bright red and it's really obvious I'm not telling the truth.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2009, 15:32:10 PM »
Because someone could go in and "be Truemans owner" quite easily.  ;)
Alas, I'm hopeless at that kind of thing...it stresses me out too much  :-[

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2009, 15:18:15 PM »
I love that people think I have experience with this. :evillaugh: I'm just prepared to sweet talk if necessary! I'm also prepared to fib a little; is anyone else? :sneaky: Because someone could go in and "be Truemans owner" quite easily.  ;)

Will call tomorrow morning and see what the vets say; if there's a possibility of a home and people are willing to help with finances that works in our favour when trying to talk the vet round.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2009, 15:17:09 PM »
I am near Leeds so if you would like us to do part of the journey we would be happy to.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2009, 15:08:34 PM »
CC, from what the vet has said to Joote, if the vet doesn't have permission from the RSPCA it doesn't sound as if they are going to hand him over, even if someone went to see them face to face (otherwise I think Joote would have taken him by now!).  Am going to hang on and wait to see what Jack Spratt has to say tomorrow as she's got more experience at dealing with this kind of situation than me, and I don't want to make things worse!

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2009, 14:58:04 PM »
If the cat can be handed over and recieve treatment from another vets, I really dont see the problem here. Maybe best off for Baggy to actually go to the vets and pick this little fella up. I know most vets are not heartless but when dealing with rescue cats they have to do as the rescue says. Even if that means pts when its not warranted  :(

I think you should go in person and deal with this, shows more willing and the vet may just let you walk away with Truman  :)

If I was closer I would be there myself.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2009, 14:47:27 PM »
Hi everyone some more info on exactly what has been said from the RSPCA to me,
Hi thanks for your message.
When speaking to the RSPCA i spoke to a manager named Nicky, at Brent knoll RSPCA, she had already spoken to my OH and told him of the health issues i have listed in the thread, when I spoke to her personally, she said he was a very 'poorley puss' who didint require instant euthinnasia (to this i said 'well that's good' but got no positive response ,she said his case will be re-evaluated in one weeks time, (this was on tuesday) I told her I had alot of intrest in re-homing him from others and personally, this she didint really respond to, I told her i was a volunteer for CPL and to that she responded "well if thats the case how did we end up with him" i explained the gentleman who found him took him to a vets who had accounts with both RSPCA and CPL, perhaps she dosnt know that CPPL only have foster homes and no centers so obviously RSPCA were the ones able to take 'Truman' in the quickest. She told me the best person to speak to was his vet (i accidently put the wrong number on the thread it is actually 01278 792959 vets name Anne Parry)
Now she says if an owner does not come forward it is the RSPCA's responsibility and choice as to what happens to truman.

I will post this on the thread also so everyone can get a better idea of what has been said.
If we could get a spokesperson to call and someone who is confident and not willing to backdown then i think we may have a chance, the rescue center is not open on mondays i believe so we can contact the vet tomorrow but not the RSPCA until tuesday. 

my contact number is 07980829804 if anyone needs to speak to me directly however i have no more info than already given.
When Me or Simon make contact with the RSPCA I will inform them we have people happy to make donations to his treatment.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2009, 14:31:55 PM »
WIll keep checking my pm's and this thread tomorrow!

If we lived closer I'd be camping out on their doorstep :shify:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2009, 14:19:18 PM »
OMG! Wish I had'nt looked!  :'(

Hope something can be sorted before its too late!  :wish:

(Good on you Baggy for offering a safe-haven)  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2009, 14:00:49 PM »
Will call tomorrow and see what I can find out.... :shify:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2009, 13:52:11 PM »
2d, am really hoping that if Jack Spratt can get the full story and help spring him out of there he can come to stay with us to recuperate.  We've got everything crossed for him.

Of we can get past the first hurdle, I have relatives near Leeds that I'm due to visit...

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 13:37:36 PM »
Really hope he's still alive, and that they haven't just put him to sleep cos it's cheaper than helping him. 
(And they bang on about animal cruelty...)

I don't have much cash at the moment (due to silly customers!), but I'd be willing to contribute something financially to his treatment.

And if he makes it through, then we'd definitely be willing to give him a permanent home in the longer term when he were strong enough (assuming we could get help getting him up here, as neither of us drive).

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
So can I say there's a definite carer for this one to the vets willing to collect him? After fixing him of course!
Yes, definitely...

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 12:37:41 PM »
I am happy to help financially to pay for his treatment and i hope between Purrs people we can help this little guy.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »
Myself and my OH have been thinking about this one all day.

This might not help, but if there is some way of getting the RSPCA to release him, and we can find out exactly what is wrong with him we'd be willing to collect him (we live about 70 miles froom Bristol) and foster him until he was strong enough to make a longer journey to a permanent home.  I am happy to make a contribution to his vet bills if that is likely to swing the RSPCA.

So can I say there's a definite carer for this one to the vets willing to collect him? After fixing him of course!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »
Im guessing the rspca are wanting to pts rather than spend any money on this little fella. Is it possible for someone to phone the vets and actually find out whats up with this cat, jack maybe  ;)

Tried yesterday and will be trying again tomorrow....this guy has got such a charm about him. Will be finding out if we can organise money to be sent directly to the vets from Purrs members that want to help with treatment (if it's necessary) and if they'd consider releasing him to one of us after treatment.  If they tell me I have to talk to the RSPCA I'll call them too.

DiddyDawn is reducing her rescue work currently, CC. (Or trying to.;))

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »
Hope something can be done to help this little one,  if money is needed I can also send a contribution.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 00:55:55 AM »
I can help financially - it's not as if my money is earning anything in the bank  >:(
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat