Author Topic: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT  (Read 39324 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: URGENT HOME NEEDED FOR A VERY SPECIAL CAT
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2009, 16:56:59 PM »
I suppose it also depends on whether the bloods have been sent away.

lets hope a good result for Truman  :wish:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2009, 16:55:46 PM »
Thanks, Papillon. No word from the vet as yet. I'm about to head off home (not that I've actually got much work done today anyway :) ) she has my home number and I've told the receptionist I'll be home by 5:30. she may call me there. 

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2009, 16:48:53 PM »
Moira, i called Nicky this morning but was told its her day off and she is back tomorrow.

Finger crossed for little Truman.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2009, 16:22:31 PM »
thanks Moira, i'm hoping 'no news is good news' applies here.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2009, 16:14:17 PM »
I have just phoned the vets but she is out (will be back later today), I have left my contact numbers and the receptionist assurred me she would give me a call. Don't know if I should get my hopes up but at least the receptionist didn't say he had been pts and seemed quite chirpy. I also faxed a letter to Nicky at 3:00pm asking if she was able to update us but haven't received a reply yet. I suspect that the blood results are not in yet. Will keep you posted.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2009, 16:04:29 PM »
everything crossed as it gets later in the day

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2009, 14:21:34 PM »
yes i mean i would really like to know more about how he has been responding in the foster home

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2009, 13:24:29 PM »
will the fosterer's opinion of his quality of life be taken into account? or is it just down to the vet?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2009, 13:19:23 PM »
I keep checking too even my OH asked this morning if there was any news  keeping fingers crossed xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2009, 13:19:02 PM »
Sending good vibes to the lovely ginger lad!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2009, 13:11:28 PM »
Aww come on Trueman, there must be some life in the old cat yet  ;D
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2009, 13:08:01 PM »
Still waiting. Its driving me crazy. I'm at work but cant concentrate (luckily I'm not a surgeon :) ) I feel like phoning the vets now but am afraid of the answer. I guess it takes time for blood results to come back. I'll phone later this afternoon if I haven't heard anything before that. Lets hope that no news is good news. I'll post again after I've phoned the vet. Keep those positive vibes coming.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2009, 21:00:24 PM »
Hoping for the best outcome for Trueman, hope the wee fella can be given a 10th life  :)

Me too!

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2009, 20:55:44 PM »
Hoping for the best outcome for Trueman, hope the wee fella can be given a 10th life  :)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2009, 20:22:10 PM »
Have been trying to check on this thread all day, hate being at work!  Anyway, am glad he's going to have blood tests and do hope there is some chance for him.  At the very least he is warm, well-fed, and hopefully having some cuddles and fuss. Thanks to moira for giving us updates.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2009, 18:56:44 PM »
Im relieved he is at least having tests before being decided upon, how they could make such a decision without checking him out properly i dont know.
:wish:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2009, 16:14:03 PM »
What I meant Moira is that it has taken a whole lot of calls to get all the info.  However I hope you are right and certainly getting the bloods done is a possitive sign.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2009, 15:57:15 PM »
I have just received this communication from Nicky, RSPCA:

'Truman' having blood tests to check his major organ function tomorrow.Depending on those results as to what decisions are made'.

Unfortunately, I missed her phone call as I am at work so wasn't able to discuss in more detail. I'll keep people informed.

Gill: to be fair, I can't say they are being secretive. Both Nicky and the vet have returned my calls immediately and given me the information I requested without any hesitation and have not been in any way hostile.

2d: Don't confuse the RSPCA big machine with the grass roots workers. I have no doubt that Nicky will want to save this little guy if she can. otherwise she would have pts immediately and not bothered to have him fostered and go to the trouble/expense of having his bloods done. All rescues are faced with difficult decisions/choices every day  because they are overwhelmed. I have tried to express to her that, if he is can have any quality of life, there is plenty of support for Truman both financial and offers of a home and this is one difficult decision she may not have to make.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2009, 15:42:19 PM »
Any more news? Or is it just a case of waiting now?

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2009, 14:07:57 PM »
Absolutely - if letting him go is the kindest thing, if he's too ill to have any real hope of a decent quality of life, then it needs to be done.

What's worried me all along is that the rspca will likely not bother whether it is or is not in his best interests, but what's in theirs.

BTW - as an aside, the reason I mentioned not knowing if we'd pass an rspca homecheck due to the road is that when we were looking for cats a few years ago (we ended up with george and ed), we contacted the local rspca and cp, specifying that we were looking for indoor cats only, and neither would homecheck us because we were 'too near the road', and there's a school round the corner (which doesn't have a school run - more a school walk).

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2009, 13:18:14 PM »
Trigger. I have replied to your PM but not sure if you received it ok.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Moira and do not think this looks good for Truman  :(

They have it appears to me, just kept him for a mandatory week to see if an owner comes forward, made no effort to help him but probably kept him at a fosterer in case he has anything that may affect other cats, and then no owner, no more Truman.

The vet is not optimistic cos she knows what will happen from the RSPCA!

I agree that if he was in pain or had things that could not be treated then going to the Bridge would be a kindness but am not convinced at present this is the case.

Lets hope I am wrong but to me they are being just too secretive and difficult.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »
fingers crossed - at the very least it seems he is not going to be just another statistic, and he is not going to end his days under the wheel of a car
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »
Thanks, Papillion. As Jack says, it isn't looking too promising but what I am hoping is that if he is borderline then a show of our support might just sway them.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »
Pav, it's looking like it won't make much difference. :( I think it'll depend on the tests for his kidney functions.

Hope there's a glimmer of hope for him.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2009, 11:08:34 AM »
I will drop them a line this afternoon, offering my financial support. Finger crossed for Truman.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
I do think he looks alot older than 10 myself poor soul but it is better the vet does what is best for him, fingers crossed anyway xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Joote

• Adult Cat
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
oh dear, i'm so sorry to have got everyones hopes up,
I think tomorrow will be judgement day as he will  have been in care for 1 week.
if being pts is the best thing for him then i will let him go, so sad though

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »
Not sounding especially positive, is it? Poor Trueman. Whatever happens, I hope they do what's best for him.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2009, 09:49:34 AM »
I have just spoken with Ann Parry, the vet. Not good news, I'm afraid.

I asked if she could clarify his medical condition. She said he was definitely a lot older than 10. He was in poor condition, blind, thin  but good appetite, bad teeth, had an ulcerated mass and was polydipsic (abnormal thirst). She stressed that he had serious medical conditions and was not just an old cat. She said she would discuss with Nicky doing a blood test to find out exactly the condition of his kidneys. I asked her directly if he was currently suffering but she only answered that she 'would be wary about his future'. She also commented that they had to consider whether he was well enough to be moved and travel.

I assured her that most of us have, at times, had to have cats pts as they rarely go peacefully in their sleep, and if this is the case here then of course we understood this. However, I wanted to make sure they were aware that if this little guy is not suffering and has any quality of life that there were people willing to give him that chance.

She confirmed that he is currently being fostered and is not with her.

I guess we can only wait and see but I'm not hopefull.

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2009, 09:07:42 AM »
Hi All, I can't get onto Purrs from home so couldn't post at weekend but I see Justine has updated you.

I had a long talk with Nicky at RSPCA. I was relieved to hear that he is in foster care and not stuck in a vet's cage waiting to be pts. However, I dont want to raise your hopes as I was told he is 'a lot older than 10...really, really poorly and quite doddery'. Nicky wasn't hostile towards our trying to save this little guy but did give me the 'we have limited resources and have to prioritise cases' speech. I told her that I appreciated this as all rescues are full to overflowing at the moment but I wanted her to be aware that there were a number of people supporting this little cat who are prepared to offer all kinds of support including a home for him, contributions towards his vet care/adoption fee, transport, fostering etc. The bottom line is that she will be guided by what the vet says. I'm sure all of us would understand that pts is justifiable if he is currently suffering and there is no treatment that could alleviate his suffering.

I agree that it probably isnt a good idea for everyone to phone the vet or RSPCA but it might help if people could fax them or e-mail them, which is less intrusive and irritating,  to say what kind of support they can offer and how much money they can pledge towards vet care so that the RSPCA know it is not just me and Justine.

I will call the vet this morning and try and get a clear idea of his condition and will post again later.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2009, 23:47:30 PM »
Thanks Pav  ;D

Cc please dump the pic you have just put up for me so I can see this thread without having to leave Purrs everytime  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2009, 23:45:21 PM »
Gill, he is a gingr cat with some white, he looks tiny and tin, i wont say frail but looks like he hasnt been looked after well :( But he also looks like he has a big personality. The little guy needs TLC and decent food to put some weight on.  Sorry i am not good in describing but he is ginger and gorgeous :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2009, 23:44:33 PM »
Sorry cc I still cant see it and its blocked me up again...............just this one picture grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for trying cc but can you delete it again so I dont get locked up cos Purrs now locking up again.

Just dont understand , its been moved into someones photobucket account and emailed to me , you have kindly reput it on and sthe same happens everywhere and it locks me up!

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2009, 23:42:28 PM »
Aww bless him  :hug:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2009, 23:39:41 PM »
He's a ginger tabby sweetie, with white chops (where his whiskers come out) and chin.

Big black eyes (obviously the detached retinas causing that).

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2009, 23:39:13 PM »
Gill he is a very lovely ginger tabby, with big eyes but its obvious he's blind  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2009, 23:27:43 PM »
Yes and we have a number of options on the table from all you lovely people so we should be able to counter any objections I reckon  ;D

So we just wait till tomorrow and then see what Moira learns  ;D

watch this thread everyone please.  :hug:

Its stupid but please someone describe this cat for me cos I cant see it and someone sent me another link and cant open that either, my puta thinks this picture is corrupted I reckon!

Now we are on page two of the thread and no pic I am not locking anymore either..........sigh

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2009, 22:32:21 PM »
Nope, I'm not Moira.

Though as I said, I'd have been down there yesterday if I had transport.

But it's his safety that's of primary concern.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2009, 22:14:31 PM »
Everything crossed

Link to CatChat