Author Topic: Wish us lots of luck tomorrow now updated with IMPORTANT BREAKTHROUGH?  (Read 36058 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Wish us lots of luck tomorrow now updated with treatment programme diary!
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2009, 22:21:19 PM »
What a shame.  Poor Charlie.  And poor you  :hug:  It's just a setback though.  You've made so much progress with Charlie I'm sure he'll improve again once he's got over this episode.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2009, 21:00:37 PM »
Im sorry to hear you have gone back a couple of steps but dont be disheartened, just look on it as a blip and stay as calm as possible for your own sake and for Charlie,s. Keep to your usual routine and im sure eventually he will realise that he is still safe and will calm down once again, but whatever you do try not to let your anxiety show as he will pick up on it ,im sending lots of positive vibes for you both :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2009, 18:26:23 PM »
Poor Charlie, he is such a sensitive soul and probably thought something terrible was going to happen to him.

I am sure he will calm down slowly once he undersyands he is safe again  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2009, 18:17:25 PM »
Day 37.  Things have been really bad.  After the big shock with the police incident (they broke into a neighbour's house and the noise was horrific) Charlie has slipped right back to his worst.  He has skitzed every day since Sunday and is very agitated.  I haven't started the noise desensitisation because he is so worked up I don't want to make him worse.  I have just continued to do everything Sarah has told me but he is not showing any signs of calming down.  It was a horrendous noise and sounded louder than a pneumatic drill and as if it was in the house.  It has truly upset him. :(

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2009, 17:58:46 PM »
Hi Chrissie,just wondered how Charlie is doing now ,have you completed the desensitation programme yet :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2009, 16:52:19 PM »
Well done and good luck with the next stage  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2009, 16:49:24 PM »
Day 32.  Charlie has overall been doing very well.  No skitzing but still very very reactive to sound.  Am starting the sound desensitisation programme with him over the next couple of days so will feedback how it goes.  He had a very big scare last night (see post on general chatting) but has done well all things considered  Thanks for reading:)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:38 PM »
When my daughter Anne's cat, Lucky, was still a kitten, and Anne was about 3, they used to have mad romps and sometimes he would nip her in self defence.  I caught them once, after Lucky had squeaked and asked what was going on.  "He bitted my ear so I bit his" she said.......  Not something I recommend but curiously, it worked!

Mr T nips sometimes if I stroke him too much in one place.  It happens when Im falling asleep and on a sort of "automatic pilot" He nips me to make me move my hand to somewhere else.
People Power Works!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »
yes that biting is like franta and he wants just you and i just had my hand caught between his two paws gripping with claws and then bitten cos he wanted both my hands on him and not one on keyboards.x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »
coming to the desk and nipping you sounds like he's jealous of the putah! he wants your undivided attention by the sound of it. I'm so pleased that Sarah is pleased though and also that there are no meds in the immediate future.  :hug: xxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »
Day 27.  Sarah has now reviewed Charlie's diaries and thinks he is making progress as he is having some good days.  She says his arousal levels are still too high and his behaviour is typical of that.  We are to continue on the programme for another four weeks or so and then review again.  She is considering meds but does not want to use them yet as it will take a few weeks for his arousal levels to reduce.  She has also suggested a CD for introducing him gradually to noises (it is usually used for puppies but is effective for cats) so her practice are sending one out to me.

He has been skitzy since Saturday on and off but no major charging round ones,.  He hasn't been very nice to me though, coming on the computer desk for a pet and then biting me if I pet him.

Ah well at least there is some positive stuff in it so will continue and feedback to you every few days.  Thanks for reading and for your support. :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
well I don't know you but agree with the previous poster!  I remember when he turned up, you really didn't want him to stay but couldn't stop him, he loves you there is no doubt, maybe he does pick up on your anxiety, my oh suffers from depression and when he was feeling bad a few weeks back it was awful at home because our lot played up like mad getting at each other when I mentioned to him about it - you can help each other hun and that is the nicest thing about the whole situation

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2009, 21:13:04 PM »
Chrissie we are mates and I'm sure (well I hope you won't take this wrong) your BARMY, course he loves you. Why else did he stick around when he had to chance of going off to someone else. You forget you didn't choose him he chose you. Now behave yourself and no more nonsense. ;)
You are doing so well with Charlie, I honestly don't think there are many who would have done all you have done and are doing for Charlie. In a short time you have achieved so much.
Now sit down have a cuppa  and light up a cigie and chill out, your doing splendid. :hug:
My pet's are my world.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2009, 19:12:34 PM »
 :C: :H: :A: :R: :L: :I: :E:

:L: :O: :V: :E: :S:

:H: :I: :S:

:M: :U: :M:

:Luv2: :Luv: :Luv2: :Luv:

Mary and Bonnie x
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2009, 18:44:06 PM »
maybe something on the floor tickles? after staring at Misha all day he only does it on the sitting room carpet...

whatever it is you know Charlie loves you :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2009, 18:40:18 PM »
Dont be daft , he loves you to bits  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2009, 18:39:13 PM »
He does it randomly!  He shouldn't be having circulatory or arthritic probs at his age!  Behaviourally I read that cats do it because they don't like something and can sometimes shake each paw in turn, I have seen him do it with three,.  He doesn't like me :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2009, 13:46:29 PM »
If he has just been out he may be shakin his paws to remove a bit of dirt or wet or somthing he has noticed since being outside, sure its nothing to worry about.  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »
He is still very reactive to small sounds though and has been shaking his paws a little - anyone have any experience of why this could be?  Thanks for reading:)

Do you mean shaking his paws as if he were trying to get something off them?  When does he do it?  Blip does this from time to time and I think it's because she's a bit stiff - I started a thread about it, I'll try and find it...

Here it is - http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,19839.msg338907.html#msg338907
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2009, 12:01:29 PM »
He is still very reactive to small sounds though and has been shaking his paws a little - anyone have any experience of why this could be?  Thanks for reading:)

Do you mean shaking his paws as if he were trying to get something off them?  When does he do it?  Blip does this from time to time and I think it's because she's a bit stiff - I started a thread about it, I'll try and find it...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »
Quickly reading through what I've missed in the last few days - busy looking after my mum.

Flinchinig at you - are you wearing different perfume or hand cream or something that he doesn't like?

Thius is so harde for you, you deserve a medal, or at least a Blue Peter Badge  :rofl:

Hope Sarah can give you some more suggestions and glad he was fine yesterday.

Mary and Bonnie xx :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:44 AM »
does he shake a paw like he has pins and needles? Misha does that whenever he wants something and is plotting how to get it

Hopefully by keeping calm for Charlie he will help you with the anxiety problems you have had too :hug: :hug:

yay for his progress too  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »
Day 25.  Still not heard back from Sarah.  Charlie has mostly been ok yesterday was a really good day, he was happy and playful and spent ages running round with his Curlie purry and we played with his sparkly attachment for his Da Bird.  I have put him on RC ultra light (after discussing it with the vet nurse) mixed with a little Bozita so some of the weight should def come off him.  My neighbour Pat came in, she hasn't been in since 29th Dec as she had a bad fall, and Charlie was so excited to see her. He charged in from the garden and jumped all round her headbutting her.  That was nice to see.  After the realisation that he is anxious round me I am doing my level best to be positive etc.  Hard when you have anxiety probs but will keep trying.  He is still very reactive to small sounds though and has been shaking his paws a little - anyone have any experience of why this could be?  Thanks for reading:)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »
Here's loads of big  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both! x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about the anxiety, Maddiesmum: I suppose you've tried SSRIs for yourself?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2009, 16:39:42 PM »
I'm just catching up on how Charlie is doing

I know i was stressing Jess out because I was so stressed I've learnt to calm down I think he knows it too

:hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2009, 15:19:57 PM »
No Dawn it doesn't sound silly it's a good point and I hadn't thought of it. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2009, 14:43:32 PM »
sorry that you feel like this but if nothing else it proves that Charlie can be better - maybe knowing this can help you in a funny sort of way - I hope this doesn't sound stupid I don't really have any experience of panic attacks

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2009, 14:38:51 PM »
Indy's Mamma.  I have classical music on all the time (for Charlie!).  My problem with anxiety stems back to a bad accident I had in 1996.  After that I started having panic attacks.  I had some counselling (which was useless as the woman was a dragon) and although I do not now have full blown panic attacks I do suffer from anxiety a lot of the time.  My GP put me on beta blockers at one point but I kept going dizzy.  I have tried almost everything over the 13 years but nothing beats the relentless feeling of being anxious! :(

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2009, 14:32:08 PM »
it may sound daft, but how listening to classical music or something soothing for *yourself*... so you can help you help him?

the other option is to watch daytime TV (record if necessary) and you will go into a zombie like stupor...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2009, 14:30:23 PM »
That is sad and at present I am very stressed and both Ducha and Misa are doing the same , so guess thats why.

I would tell Sarah this and she may have a way of helping........I do hope so  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »
Still waiting to hear back from sarah but I think I have realised something.  It is me that Charlie is anxious around.  He was fine yesterday with my neighbour Nigel and my daughter.  He is fine with my other two neighbours and fine with my lodger unless he gets too loud but yesterday in the kitchen he actually flinched when I put my hand near him to move his bowl.  I think he may pick up on my anxiety which I am unable to do anything about as although I can pretend not to be anxious the reality is that most of the time I am.  I feel so awful that this formerly happy cat is now a nervous wreck around me!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »
sounds good for just three weeks!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
Day 21 - the final day of the three week trial programme. 
I can honestly say there have been big improvements but we still have the odd skitzy days.  Charlie is still extremely reactive to sound and cannot seem to relax some days, as if he is worried.  I think I found the trigger for the last big skitz on Saturday.  My neighbour and her two housecats were in her garden.  She said Charlie started to scratch at the fence and her two cats ran indoors.  Hence him flying through the cat flap and upstairs to see if they had gone round the front.  I don't know what I can do about his reaction to other cats though as we have a high concentration in a relatively small area. 
He has had a nice play today and has been busy being nosy.  Currently sat on his cat tree in the garden prior to his usual afternoon nap.  I wish I could keep him calm all the time as it isn't much fun for him nor me, watching him.
Anyway will see the response from Sarah.  Thanks for reading :)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2009, 16:32:48 PM »
Sorry I thought you was seeing her face to face.

Make sure you don't miss anything out.  She sounds very good so I think she will be very thorough.  Does Charlie jump even when the noise is happening in front of his eyes?  I was thinking if you pick up a cup, put him in front of you and then lift the cup up exactly as you would do so that he can see what is making the noise.

Mary and Bonnie

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2009, 15:50:31 PM »
I'm not actually seeing Sarah on Wed. she only does one home visit and then you have 12 months email or phone support.  I will send her his 3rd week diary and take it from there.  Had a skitz this morning think it was high spirits  but went a bit too far - still reactive to the strangest noises.  For instance he stood next to me last night whilst I was piercing the film on something going in the microwave, made really loud noises and he never flinched but if a leaf falls off a tree (not literally of course) but any small noise, even ones he has heard every day, he freezes!

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
Hi Chrissie, just catching up on Charlies diary. Things do seem to be going very well for Charlie even though he may have his off days....  :) Good luck on Wednesday, not that you need it as I'm sure Sara will be pleased with the results so far with Charlie.
My pet's are my world.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »
You've really worked hard with Charlie and I'm sure Sara will think so too when you see her on Wednesday.  She will be giving you more things to try I presume.

Mary and Bonnie   :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:49:20 AM by maryas »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2009, 19:45:26 PM »
I think the behaviorist will be very impressed and will probably have more things to suggest as he has improved so much  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2009, 17:54:36 PM »
Maybe he will always be a bit a little that way but from what you've said he certainly sounds to have improved and that's the main thing, just see what the behaviourist has to say, sounds like you've done great  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Link to CatChat