Author Topic: Odd little leg-shaking movement  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Odd little leg-shaking movement
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 16:36:43 PM »
Poor Blip, definitely sounds like you're doing all there is.  Hope it doesn't affect her too much  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 13:43:51 PM »
Poor Blip I hope that she learns to take it easy with her jumping  :hug:

Franta has been doing leg shaking but it was a dreaded bandage keeping a ctheter in plave and he hated the bandage which was removed while I was there cos the catheter was taken out earlier.

He also does majot stretching of bother back legs when he has been curled up cos he gets stiff.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
Misha does this at 5 months old and at complete random... normally when he wants something though so I suppose attention seeking in this case?

it isn't just after resting, sometimes mid play or when wandering around

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »
Aw bless.

Edward had quite bad arthritis in one hip, as well as his tumour. 

He stopped being able to jump, but he still tried for a few days - wasn't good, watching him get his front paws onto something (like a desk), only to not make it with his back paws and slide back off.

Sounds like you're doing all you can, and the heat pad will help lots.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »
I was looking this up for another poster and think I can update it.  I'm pretty sure that Blip's left side is now stiff at times, particularly after she's been resting.  So poor Blip has arthritis in both hips  :(

This is difficult as her life involves a lot of jumping - I've tried positioning chairs around to help but she still insists on making a lot of her jumps unaided.  It's rather upsetting to see some of her clumsy jumps when she drags her back legs a bit  :( but by and large she manages well.

She's on Metacam (low dose), Cosequin and a heat pad, so I'm doing all I can, I think...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 19:17:34 PM »
Mine don't do this, but it sounds like it's nothing to worry about  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 17:18:14 PM »
Hi, ours do this too - usually when they have something on their paw (liquid, dirt, food etc).  Does Blip lick or bite her her paw after she does it?

You're absolutely right that the movement is the same as if Blip were shaking something off her paw, Gatos, but she does it when her paws are unsullied and she doesn't lick her paw afterwards.  I have a notion that she does it more when she's been resting, so am inclining towards the stiffness idea.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gatos

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 16:33:45 PM »
Hi, ours do this too - usually when they have something on their paw (liquid, dirt, food etc).  Does Blip lick or bite her her paw after she does it?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." ~ Albert Schweitzer

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 20:30:05 PM »
My Dragan (RIP) used to  do it quite often and Charlie does it very occasionally

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 18:55:22 PM »
Beavis does this sometimes too -  maybe its kind of the cat equivalent of restless legs??

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 18:23:38 PM »
I've no idea Christine but Byron does it alot, she sort of shakes her leg outwards, she also has arthritic legs so maybe it is to do with the stiffness, in fact we always say 'go on shake a leg Byron' when she does it.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Odd little leg-shaking movement
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 18:14:39 PM »
Over the last few days, I have noticed Blip making an occasional short leg-shaking movement with her left hind leg.  I've checked her leg, paw and claws and she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.  Does anyone have any idea why she might be doing this?

Background: for those who don't know, Blip has arthritis in her right hip and is on daily Cosequin.  She is still on a short course of Metacam as well - just coming to the end of that.  She seems happy and healthy in every other respect.

Link to CatChat