Author Topic: Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock.....update  (Read 16963 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 13:12:40 PM »
Nothing to say but add my sympathies. Don't feel that you have to go for the surgery to do everything possible for him as the pallative care is quite often the kindest thing for them at that age.
I'm not sure how long recovery would take from having a kidney removed. Again I can only say that fortecor may be a way to go if he's strong enough to cope with it.

Whatever you decide, It will be in Franta's best interest.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 13:06:33 PM »
I am so sorry to hear the news about Franta.

As for your art workshop - I am not sure of your personal circs  and whether you are running the workshop or participating. If you are participating and there are are other opportunities to go or this is a regular thing then I would be inclined not to go. When Bertie was really ill and I had had bad news from the vet I was babysitting my little sister and considered cancelling it and didn't  - I wish I had on refelction and well maybe think about what will happen if you miss it - you will know what is best  :hug:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 13:07:58 PM by caledonia »
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 13:05:41 PM »
It's such a difficult thing to balance out the stresses that they have to face in life.  If only we could take them all away.  If you think it is in Franta's best interests to stay home then do it.  You know what is best for Franta.  My thoughts are with you.  Maybe Franta is picking up on your anxiety?  Best of luck  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 13:04:45 PM »
OMG I'm so Sorry  :hug: :hug: :hug: :care: to You both

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 13:02:34 PM »
Sorry to hear the news.    :hug: :hug: to you and Franta x
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 15:02:45 PM by Topsy Turvey »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
Thank you all so much, your support is just great.

I am very much inconsolable at the moment and I trying to rationalize that Franta is no different today than he was before the vet rang but its not working.

Trouble is he is not the same and its almost like he has tuned in to the conversation and is just lying around sleeping or dozing. He has refused food this morning but maybe he ate too many biscuits in the night............hopes.

Alison you are so right but please will you tell Franta, and also we are having to go to the vets on Friday, and I am supposed to be out all day tomorrow and both of those things will upset him.

Because of what he has done to his fur since mid december, he is looking a shadow of his former self and so small as all fluffy cats do when they lose most of their fur............I upset him big time cos had to go away over night twice in a couple of weeks and think stress plays a big role in his little life since he was ill in October/Nov.

Am wondering whether I should cancel out of my art workshop tomorrow.

Yes the list of questions for my vet is growing and all logic has gone out of the window.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
I'm really sorry to read this Gill  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »
Gill, I saw this thread late last night but was half asleep so didn't read it properly. I am so sorry about the results. :care:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
Gill I think you were one of the first people I had contact with on here and I loved hearing about Franta. I am so desperately sorry about the news you have had. Sending hugs and wishing Franta all the best. x

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
So sorry

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 09:31:09 AM »
positive vibes coming this way from me too   :hug: :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »
Just seen this Gill, I'm in shock and sorry that the news isn't better for dear Franta  :hug:

It sounds like you have a wonderful vet, and I'm sure you'll have a whole list of questions to ask over the next few days.

I can't offer any advice either hun, but know that whatever course of action is taken, Franta will be getting the very best love and care you can give him  :Luv2:

Our furries can be such a worry, since Max's CRF diagnosis last year, I'm constantly paranoid about his every move, its the price we pay for letting this babes into our hearts I fear  :-[

Give him a snuggles from me  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
So sorry Gill -  sending love, huggles and positive vibes for beautiful Franta

Huge big  :hug: for you Hun xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
Oh Gill I'm sorry to hear that I have no advice either but  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and Franta

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
no advice Gill, I have no idea but you know him best and your vet sounds very good and supportive so I'm sure what ever you decide will be for the best hugs to you all

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
I have no advice just loads of hugs for you and Franta
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
love
Tab

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
Very sorry to read your news Gill :hug:

Before Franta went to the vet he was in fairly good shape and he is picking up again now.

I am sure if you just let him get on with things he will be fine for quite some time. :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 08:24:57 AM »
Gill so sorry to hear the news of dear Franta, you know him best of all so only you can decide what is best for him and its never easy. So sending you lots of positive vibes to carry you through this difficult time.  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
 :hug: Very sorry to hear this Gill   I know it is difficult when you don't know what to do but only you and your vet really know Franta so I'm sure you'll do what you think is right.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 07:12:56 AM »
Oh Gill, am so sad the news was not better than this.  Ole Bloo Eyes is such a favourite of ours, bless him.   :hug: :hug:

Take your time to think things through and to get as much info as you want, but at the end of the day, go with your gut instinct as to what's right for Franta, because you know him better than anyone.  :hug: 

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 02:21:48 AM »
I must admit Smartie ( touch wood!) seems to be doing well on it i think -he sleeps a fair bit -he is nearly 12 years and i had him at 18months and he is my superbaby ! :Luv2: very cuddly , but he does have a play in the evenings -he does look quite old sometimes - Sophie is nearly 15 , but you wouldn''t really know it , her eyes are still deep orange , she does sleep a lot ! but eats well and on her last blood tests around 8 months ago the vet said there was absolutely nothing wrong with her !
Really hope Franta will benefit from some treatment ( not the invasive surgery one) - i do send healing vibes to him every night as i know he hasn't been good - i send them to all the furry babes who are poorly - including Franta, Sam and Swampy - hope they work !

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 00:12:19 AM »
thanks everyone and am listening to all suggestions.

no rachel hasnt mentioned treating his heart and said on the xrays it didnt look that bad but to know properly it would need a scan and although they have a machine to scan with she is not a cardiologist and would not be able to interpret the scan.....i guess franta would have to be sedated again and to be honest i am not too keen on that.

i must start writing down all the questions before i forget.

franta was bumbling along quite happy till i had his teeth sorted and they did all these tests and stuff and tonight franta has acted sick all evening, just sleeping and lyin around. not one meow or demand......i so worried now.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 23:39:15 PM »
Sorry Gill,

No advice here either. You know Franta better than anyone so only you can decide what is best for him  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 23:38:54 PM »
So sorry to hear the news Gill.  I know I wouldnt want to put a cat Frantas age through the surgery, and with the added worry of his enlarged heart.  Has the vet suggested treating the enlarged heart with fortekor as bungly mentioned, which would support his kidneys too? Maybe ask about that on Friday?  :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 23:30:44 PM »
So sorry Gill

Have no advice but you know whats best for him overall.

I hope whatever you decide Franta still has lost of life in the old boy yet

:hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 23:22:29 PM »
Oh Gill!  :( :hug: :hug:

That is hard news. I feel for you. But you must do what you feel is right in your heart. Only you can make that decision.

I hope you manage to stay calm, have a proper think about what you feel is the right thing to do and go with your gut instinct.
 :hug:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 22:58:46 PM »
I'm so sorry Gill.  From your post it seems to me that the vet may be gently suggesting that you look after Franta with palliative TLC care at home rather than have the stress of travel and ops and an uncertain treatment outcome anyhow for him? Perhaps you could try the convenia to start with to see how it helps and give you a bit more time to think - it's so hard when you have to digest it all when you get the news on the phone.  I opted for no more invasive investigations because the treatment wasn't going to change or prolong life anyhow, with Swampy and it would just cause more stress. I suppose you'd have to find out whether the ops would improve his quality of life or allow him to live ages longer and what the likely success rate is. I just wish you all the best in whatever you decide and for much time still with Franta  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 22:49:49 PM »
Im so sorry to hear about Franta , its a very  difficult decision to make but im sure you will take the best course for him, meanwhile just carry on loving him  :Luv:  and making whatever time he may have left as comfortable as possible. sending you lots of hugs and as pappilion says we are all here for you  :hug: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 22:46:18 PM »
Awful news Gill. My heart goes out to you.   :hug: :hug:

Was in similar situation earlier this year with Tom but he was 4 years older and a bit less of a difficult decision to opt for no invasive investigations.  

Even so, 15 1/2 is not an age you would want to take many risks and who can say how long Franta will be with you in relative comfort without having to put up with invasive treatment.  It is of course your call and you will do the right thing for him.  So very upsetting.  You have a few days now to get a list of queries together to raise with your vet on Friday and to cuddle that little man to bits meanwhile.  :(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 22:43:05 PM »
 Oh Gill  :hug: :hug: I am sure you do what is right for Franta. You need time to think about this and see what is best for Franta.

We are all here for you. :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 22:16:35 PM »
Oh Gill Im so sorry to hear this...... I know you will do whatever is best for Franta.  :'( :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 22:07:44 PM »
So sorry to hear this news Gill -really hope the meds work.
Smartie is on Fortekur for enlarged heart -he is not quite 12 , but some days he seems to look older , he worries me constantly !

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 22:05:41 PM »
We spoke a long time to night and yes I think she is very good and she also took the time to ring me tonight, well out of surgery hours.

I will see her again on Friday cos she is going to see Franta between ops that she is doing. I know she likes Franta a lot.

I dont think that going to Bristol is going to help him much, it may or may not extend his life a little but it could be that he would not be well enough to have the op anyway and he hates being in the car and it would be at least a two hour journey in each direction and staying in hospital and everything would just totally stress him which I am sure would not be good for him.

So probably am gonna take Rachels advice but will be thinking on it.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 21:58:05 PM »
I'm so sorry about the bad news, I'm sure that given time and the oppotunity to chat to your vet (who sounds great) you will make the best choice.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 21:56:22 PM »
 :hug: so sorry >:(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 21:55:57 PM »
Thank you all......am just feelin down at moment.

Will have to think about that one Liz, and then talk to the vet. I think she said there was no need for him to hqve injections every two weeks but think its gonna depend on how he is.

He has been lying against the radiator and got too hot so now lying in the coolest place in the front room, wondering if he has a temperature but doubt it somehow........trouble is I am gonna worry about everything now.

Apparently it is less than -8 outside!

I must make more fuss of Franta everyday.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 21:54:24 PM »
Gill I am so sorry :'(
Love me,love my animals.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 21:50:19 PM »
Oh Gill am so sorry the news isn't better for you and Franta  :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 21:47:29 PM »
Oh Gill I am so sorry -

Don't have any advice for you BUT i know you will do whatever is best for Franta xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 21:33:18 PM »
Oh how awful for you.  I am so sorry.  I am sure you will do whatever you feel is best for Franta and I hope the meds work well  :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat