Author Topic: Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock.....update  (Read 16961 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 21:27:54 PM »
Sorry it's not good news, Gill  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 21:26:00 PM »
:hug: sorry the news wasn't better Gill.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 21:24:36 PM »
Gill sorry to hear the sad news, I hope that you let him have his happy time at home with Injections as opposed to the other route

See if the vet will give you in the injections to do at home this will also lessen any stress

Remember he is still here and still happy so go with the flow and let him hjave as long as he can with his Mummy  :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 21:22:39 PM »
I'm sorry that the news wasn't better.  Only you can decide what is the best course of action for Franta, whichever of the two options you go for you will do the best for him.  He will get the best care and love in the world from you and however much longer he has will be full of love.

:hug:

Karen
x

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 21:21:56 PM »
I am so so sorry to hear this sad news  :hug:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 21:18:16 PM »
I'm not sure what to say, I'm so sorry Gill :(

I hope the pain relief works for as long as possible x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 21:17:49 PM »
Sorry to hear this, what a shock  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 21:15:33 PM »
God, I am so sorry the news isn't good Gill, I have to say with his age and temperament, I wouldnt go down the operation route. Fingers crossed the ab's can give him some relief, and he can have lots of happy days with you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock.....update
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 21:10:00 PM »
have just got off the phone from my vet........yes i know what time is.

the report has come in from bristol and things are not good.

bristol say that he would need to have one kidney and uretha ?sp, removed but he also has an enlarged heart so would need a heart scan and a kidney biopsy on the good kidney as this is showing signs of deterioation and they do not know how long he would cope with just the one kidney, albeit the bad one which has a stone is more orless not working anyway.

this would need him hospitalized in bristol for about two weeks but he does not fare well in this environment and would be extremely stressed.

the only alternative is convenia jabs to try and stave off infection in the bad kidney and monitoring. if he gets in pain then her recommendation would be to pts immediately as giving of strong painkillers will only act as a temporary block of the pain, the source of which nothing can be done about.

she has two cats herself, a moggy and a burmese aged 9yrs and i asked her what she would do if it was her cat. she said that the burmese was very laid back and hospitalization would not be a problem but for the moggy this was not be possible. however if the burmese was Frantas age, 15 1/2 she would  not put him through this and due to Frantas age and breed she did not think that this kind of invasive treatment would be a good idea.

I will get a copy of the report when we go on Friday as she is going away for two weeks and we agreed it was better for her to weigh him and check him out and maybe give convenia before she went away.

She also said that if he started to go downhill and started to vomit etc then also she would recommend PTS cos it would mean that he was suffering and there would be nothing else they could do to help him.

So basically poor Franta is left with only two choices, open cat surgery and scans and stuff, which may not be able to happen if his heart or other kidney are not well enough, or just let him play his days out but with no idea how long he has left  :'(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 13:58:53 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat