Author Topic: Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock.....update  (Read 16960 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2009, 13:54:11 PM »
I am so very pleased to hear the news about Franta, and Frances is the female version.

That is, word for word, what I was about to type  ;)

Good news, Gill.  Well done, Franta!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline soudicca

• Adult Cat
  • Jake's mum
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2009, 13:52:42 PM »
 I am so very pleased to hear the news about Franta, and Frances is the female version.
Black cats rule
RIP Suki, Cleo, Jade & Sam

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Vet just rang about Franta........i am in shock.....update
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2009, 13:47:51 PM »
Thank you for the thoughts  :hug:

Franta shouted at the top of his voice all the way in the car as normal.......sigh. So much so that when waiting at a long wait set of lights I put car into neutral and forgot to put handbrake on and rolled back very slightly and felt a little judder and heard a car honking but could tell where it was coming from.

Couldnt work any of this out till later and thought someone had got too close and slightly bumped me but reckon it was me............no damage cos it must have been moving so slowly that I didnt notice and the car followed me dfor a way and I was trying to remember number plate but my car is very dirty and not a mark on the dirt LOL.........phew.

Any way vet was very pleased with Franta and said he was much better than she had expected and he has actually put on weight!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is now 4kg 20  ;D

He has a little bt of something stuck to his tail end and she thinks thats why he has been over grooming, its minute and she couldnt get it off, she said he maybe sore underneath it but it will leave of its own accord or with Franta licking. Said if he is sleeping I could try and soften with some warm water...........by his reaction , he would not be sleeping for long !

I now have the report and the lady who made it says that he has shrunken left kidney with calcification and and a chain of mineral opacities which are probably within the left ureter. The kidney is unlikely to be functioning much and the uroliths?????? do not need to be removed.

However should there be a persistant uniary tract infection then surgery could be considered to remove the kidney and ureter completly. She says that as Franta has an enlarged heart the possible benfit of surgery would have to be weighed up against the risks and if there are few clinical signs, it may be preferable to manage Franta as currently.

The stuff sent through from the surgery also showed something with his lungs which could indicate pneumonia or lung collapse but she says if there are no clinical signs then its probably underinflation............................no clinical signs and reckon Franta was holding his breath!!

My vet must have asked some questions about giving him convenia in the future but after checking his heart Rachel was very pleased cos she said the murmer was not sounding and maybe it only comes on when he very stressed, and the car journey did not stress him out sufficiently to bring it on. This sounds like very good news.

I took my list of questions and she has taken a copy to deal with later but the report answers many of them.

I have to say I am feeling a bit happier, although there was one question that was really getting me down if the worst should happen as I am so far from the vets. She has said that she is sure that a home visit can be arranged and I hope this will be a very long time in the future.

Its a beautiful day, the sky is blue and although cold much warmer than it has been although the ground is still frozen and I feel a sense of relief and hope that my blue-eyed baby man Franta will keep on rallying for a long time.

Just one other thing, I have never seen so many intials after a vets name before but the lady, well could be a guy cos dont know if Frances is the male oe female version although think it female, that did the report is MA VetMB Phd DVR DipECVID MRCVS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a lot to write every time you sign something  ;D  Sounds very highly qualified though.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
 Thinking of you and Franta. :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
Let us know how you get on  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »
I hope all goes well at the vets today and sending bucket loads of positive vibes for Franta and hugs for you too :hug: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »
 :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2009, 07:12:12 AM »
Gill, me and Paddy have been sending out "soothing Franta vibes" for you for today's trip, and hoping all goes smoothly.  We'll be with you in the ether.   :hug:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2009, 23:05:05 PM »
Oh Gill - how terrible for you, what you must be going through :( I know you will choose whatever course of action is right for Franta, and whatever you decide it will be done with love.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2009, 20:53:01 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: Don't know what else to say hun ... :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2009, 20:51:09 PM »
Yes Mary good idea, thanks   :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2009, 20:29:38 PM »
Gill, write all your questions down NOW and take the list and a pen to the vet with you and just pass it to her if you are too upset and can't talk.  She will understand.

:hug: :hug:Mary and Bonnie  :hug:

:blow kiss: Franta
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2009, 20:00:02 PM »
Thank you Carol, you are absoluterly right and I had sorta got into this way before the vet rang cos had sorta decided what ever was discovered in the tests, he was like this before but the stuff at the vets had upset him so much it took ages to get him eating and vet intervention did not help......................Ok now I have stressed him and all the others but in last few mins he sicked up a big fur ball and thats the best news ever  :shify:

Hope fully he may want to eat again now although I have to say the other cats are not exactly wolfing their food down again yet especially Mr Misa Dyson!

I decided we are off to the vets tomorrow cos he was so stressed already, I thought maybe we should do a car trip now rather than stress him in a couple of weeks when I hope he has settled down........now of course I am regretting not cancelling it!

I hope he has not lost more that a body full of fur in weight terms and I am calm enough to ask all my questions.

Thanks Lesley, thats an awful lot of heads  ;D

I think all birmans should stand united  ;D

I think I have lost a marble or two in the last couple of days............where have I put my questions.........sigh

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009, 16:30:28 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear the news Gill  :hug:  I have some idea of how you must be feeling because I was shocked when I got Korky's last kidney results as they were bad yet he had seemed fine in himself.  Instantly I could see him going downhill and worried about his behaviour whatever he did.  Once I'd got over the initial shock and decided how I was going to manage things (reminds me - must update his thread), I realised that he is behaving exactly as he was behaving before I got his results.  The only difference is that I know he's worse because of the tests but he doesn't so for him its business as usual.  So once you've decided which option you are going to follow (and I think you already have) try to take each day as it comes and don't analyse his behaviour too closely - if you look for ill-omens you can always find them.  Easily said I know but it really will help if you can try to think positive.  We're all here to help.  To get you started I'm sending bucketloads of positive vibes  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009, 13:42:45 PM »
Beavis is sending lots of these for his Birman Buddy today. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009, 13:37:48 PM »
I cant do more to help then send a mega load of vibes  and hugs from me to you and Franta  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2009, 10:35:49 AM »
Gill, so sorry to read this thread, have only just come on for the first time in days.

I know you will do what is right for Franta, regardless of your feelings and you must make sure you take care of yourself, - you say the cats aren't eating, I hope you are - you are no good to any of them if you get ill.

All the gang here are sending positive vibes to Franta and you.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: that's how many heads there are here sending you hugs.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009, 01:38:23 AM »
So sorry to hear about Franta.

Sending hugs at this difficult time  :hug:
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 00:19:31 AM »
Ive pm'd you sweetie x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 00:14:36 AM »
Oh thank you Baz and hope you are OK cos not seen you for ages  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2009, 00:13:39 AM »
OH Gilly!!! So sorry to hear the sad news about Franta's results...please give the BIG man and yourself extra hugs from me and my lot  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sending heaps of calming vibes to you  ~~~~~~~~~   :care:

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2009, 00:11:15 AM »
So sorry xxx   :hug:
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 23:49:10 PM »
Thank you cc, you are so right and it was such a shock I had a bad night and day today but need to get things back to as close to normal for everyone.

he is very special to me and I will try and do as you say  :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 23:46:51 PM »
Your right Gill stress will not make your situation any better for anyone  :hug:

I know what its like to be living on "borrowed time" its not good to feel unhappy about things as the rest of the time will be linked to sadness, and after thats all you will feel.

Cherish the time you have and make every day special for him  :Luv:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 23:28:46 PM »
Thanks Gillian  ;D

I am going tro try and normalize things again to see if we can get back on track and am off to my workshop tomorrow. That should help to ease my stress being with other peeps and also am gonna ring vets tomorrow cos seem to recall that Rachel wasnt worried if we saw her before her hoilday or after. They can send the report to me that I was gonna collect.

I must try and act normal again cos otherwise its stress all the way cos I suffer from acute anxiety normally and dont need anything more than that for the cats sake.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 23:19:16 PM »
I don't think you can stop sending out the stress vibes, its not something you can control really. Cats can pick up on the slightest change in our moods I'm sure. Hang on in there, sending positive vibes from me and the 11 - thats a lot of vibes!  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 22:51:26 PM »
That's a hard one to solve I'm afraid Gill.  All animals know when ther eis something wrong and they are fretting I suppose.  Sympathy for you and also for Franta.  No way on this earth can you possibly hide how you are feeling. 

Maybe it's just this bloody stupid weather that is making them not want to eat.

Oh God how I wish I had a magic wand.

Mary x :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2009, 22:45:00 PM »
Thank you mary, you are right a tear.  :hug:

Today , infact since the vet rang he has not been good....think he was listening and is playing on my sympathey grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

He wandered outside at about 0200 this morning when it was about -11 and then came back and was very hungry but the problem is he has not eaten since and has spent all day hugging the radiator.

Then I have realized that apart from Sasa no other cat has eaten at all and she hasnt eaten much, so dont know what is going on. Franta was absolutely fine before the vet rang and we have to go and see her on Friday.

Someone said that maybe he is picking up on my stress and if he is so are all the other cats and dont know what to do about it. How do I stop sending out stress vibes. please someone help me.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2009, 22:15:10 PM »
Oh Gill, I can't stop crying.  It's like Franta is part of my family since the Valentine post last February when he won both Bonnie's and my heart.  I think we all know what is coming and if I was you I would spend every moment I could with him.  I know you won't let him suffer and it is going to be very difficult for you. 

There is nothing else I can say.  Hope these pics of Franta and Bonnie's Valentine date bring a smile to your face.  Probably a tear. :Luv2:

Love Mary and Bonnie xxxx  :hug: :hug: :Luv2:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2009, 21:38:14 PM »
Gill, so sorry to read the news about dear Franta.   The op sounds like it would be very stressful for you both but only you know what is best -    I am so pleased that you have an understanding vet.   Thinking of you and of course sending lots of hugs to all.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2009, 21:34:04 PM »
How is Franta tonight?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 21:32:48 PM »
 :hug: from this direction

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 21:23:07 PM »
So sorry to hear this.  I'm afraid I don't have anything to add other than plenty of  :hug: to you and Franta  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 21:05:57 PM »
I've just come on and seen this.  What a horrible shock, Gill.  My thoughts are with you.   I know you will put Franta first in your decisions, but it is so difficult and confusing.

Can't add any more.

Take care Gill ... and big hugs to you and  Franta  :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 19:08:49 PM »
I've just come on and seen this.  What a horrible shock, Gill.  My thoughts are with you.   I know you will put Franta first in your decisions, but it is so difficult and confusing.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 19:06:22 PM »
He has just slept all day and dont think he has eaten at all, but got up when he thought I was leaving ....and I had to go get the litter.

I do hope he decides he is hungry soon.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 19:04:12 PM »
So sorry to hear about Franta Gill   :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 15:32:25 PM »
you are all so kind  :thanks:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 14:33:03 PM »
Gill, I am so sorry - I have only now picked up on this news. Big hugs to you, and we will support you whichever decision you make ... :hug: :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2009, 14:16:36 PM »

Link to CatChat