Author Topic: Wish us lots of luck tomorrow now updated with IMPORTANT BREAKTHROUGH?  (Read 36126 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Wish us lots of luck tomorrow now updated with treatment programme diary!
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2009, 21:51:19 PM »
Im so glad your begining to see some improvements in Charlie ;D heres hoping it long continues :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2009, 20:15:22 PM »
That's great Chrissie, well done to the pair of you.
My pet's are my world.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2009, 17:38:36 PM »
Charlie is doing so well and you  :hug:

Love it, he bashed the feeder,  :rofl: :rofl:

I only leave mine out when I go away and wonder if Misa goes round bashing them  :shify: :shify:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2009, 16:41:37 PM »
 ;D Charlie sounds to be doing really well, even little improvements are a nudge in the right direction, well done that boy (and about the food too)  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2009, 16:33:07 PM »
Well done on day 9 Charlie. Fingers crossed.

Mary and Bonnie
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2009, 16:06:41 PM »
Brilliant!  Lets hope this is the first day of many  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2009, 16:03:38 PM »
Day 9 - after some ups and downs, good times and bad, today has been wonderful so far.  Charlie had a couple of skitzy episodes this morning but both were of very short duration (whereas previously they used to last quite a while until he exhausted himself).  He has played nicely with me and by himself.  I have cut back his biscuit rations and he has taken it like a man!  Just a while earlier he wanted food.  Usually he would rampage round the kitchen knocking everything off the worktops and generally cause mayhem, today he just bashed his automatic feeder a couple of times and then went and settled on the back of the armchair near the window and dozed patiently until it opened.  Today has been like having the old Charlie back.  Fingers crossed he carries on responding well, although I would be foolish to think there wont be ups and downs.  Touch wood no repeat of the weeing incident. :)

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2009, 20:44:13 PM »
Well that sounds very promising even if you did get a bit of a hic cup from Charlie but you said yourself these were expected.
About the weight why not buy the low diet dried food from the vets? I know it is more expensive but it should help a bit with the weight issue.
Your doing a grand job Chrissie, even in this short space of time you can already see results.
My pet's are my world.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2009, 15:47:35 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2009, 15:40:14 PM »
I think you should both sit down and have a cup of chamomile tea. :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary and Bonnie
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2009, 15:19:41 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »
Spoke too soon!  He is off again, skitzing round the place like a wild man, digging for England in his litter tray (he only does this when he is on one) and generally being hyperesthesic. Am trying to ignore as much as possible but it's hard!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2009, 11:40:55 AM »
Day 5 is sounding fantastic.  :hug:

Mary and Bonnie

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »
 ;D That's great news! regarding the weight I'm sure your vet will be able to help or the behaviourist should have ways round this as I'msure she will have encountered this problem with treatment before.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:35:52 AM by janeyk »

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
Ive just read the update - that all sounds very positive.   ;D Keeping my fingers crossed all continues calm and happy  :hug:  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2009, 08:28:20 AM »
I cant tell you how please i am for you that some progress is showing,  ;D im sure you are begining to feel a bit calmer by this and enjoy spending time with him now without fretting to much, hopefully things will continue to progress nicely and please continue to update his progress :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2009, 07:14:43 AM »
Day 5 (early morning).  I cannot believe the difference in Charlie so quicky, although I am aware there will probably be set backs and bad days.  He is so much calmer and happier.  He is not taking any interest in the dining room window (he used to be up and down from there anxiously looking for enemies most of his waking hours).  He has shifted his attention to the front lounge window but it is very rare we see a cat there, so he is enjoying watching the birds and passers by without the angst. He is loving his foraging for biscuits but is too clever for me and quite often finds them as soon as I have secreted them.  He is showing absolutely no interest in the field. He came and slept on the bed at 2.30 am until we got up this morning which he has NEVER done before.  He would climb on the bed about 5.30 but has never really settled there for long.  Plus he is tolerating petting and purring his head off.  He has had a couple of small skitzy whizzing round episodes but of such a short duration.  I am so worried about his weight though.  I do not want to cut back on his wet food as he gets lots of fluids with it but his regime means he is getting more biscuits (he used to have maybe 10 a day) plus less strenuous excercise so any tips on how to contain his weight would be appreciated..  Now he has biscuits in dishes, egg boxes and Yakult bottles a couple of times a day.  He is a quick learner and bashes the Yakult bottle round the room.  Good progess so far, fingers crossed it continues.  He is at the vet on Wed to check on his anal gland abscess which seems to have gone and I will have to discuss the weight issues with her then.  Thanks for your ear x
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:17:16 AM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »
Day 3 - Charlie continued to  be very nervy and jumpy.  However overnight he played by himself and brought a furry toy upstairs.  This morning he woke me at 7am for a boxing match, having eaten the food I secreted for a 4am little feed in his automatic feeder.  He is kicking his Yakult bottles round.  Problem with Charlie is no sooner have you hidden the food in new places than he has found it, pounced on it, knocked it about or rattled it out.  His latest trick is to bash his automatic feeder round the kitchen.  I can't wait until the double one is delivered.  I have found a good way of doing his food in secret is to wait until he is eating and then zoom round hiding stuff.

We have had a couple of gentle plays but it isn't satisfying him enough so he has been zooming round a little.  Hyperesthesia is horrible - he isn't constantly skitzed or rippling, it just comes over him. 

Anyway I am still doing all the things I am supposed to be doing but it is hard not being able to pet him so much.  He has been in and out the garden today.  WIndow frosting was an excellent idea, he certainly is not constantly going back and forth looking for enemy cats.

It's still early days and some of the progress has been good.  Charlie has to have a calm life and it is difficult to achieve with all the everyday noises of living etc.  Plus I am a sod for dropping things.  I have got him a cat calming CD called Pet Calm.  Don't think it is working though.

Will probably not update everyday as it is too much for you all but just every few days and if anything significant happens.  I am keeping a second diary now.  The first one was for the Behaviourist and this one is his treatment programme diary.  One thing I have noticed is he is quite often worse in the mornings and evenings.

Thanks for ready :)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 08:13:20 AM »
Sorry to hear you had this little setback but its early days yet so dont be to disheartened :( im sure that over time he will get into a routine and begin to respond more positivly and you have to try not  to get upset ,as i said to Kate with Swampy im sure they pick up on our feelings  and if your stressed (which im sure you must be ) he will lock onto this.As your keeping a diary of progress you will be able to look back at it and see a pattern emerge,and will be able to work with this pattern so you both begin to settle and have more positive times.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
Yes, it could be a long haul, it may be two steps forward, one back but just persevere and I'm sure it will be worth it.  I would think it a good idea to keep a diary of his progress.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 08:03:37 AM »
Day 2 - Most of yesterday was good but in the evening Charlie started to become more nervous again and this got progressively worse as the night continued.  He was wary of my lodger and jumping at every sound again.  He also had a couple of skitzy incidents one when I accidently brushed my hand along his side when we were playing.  He jumped right up in the air and flew to the other side of the room, hair on end.  One of the symptoms of hyperesthesia is over sensitivity to touch but it is upsetting nevertheless.  I did manage a little pet when he came on the computer desk and rubbed his hand against me.  No playing overnight and still nervy this morning.  Managed to sneak a couple of meals into his automatic feeder yesterday - found the best time to do it is when he is busy munching on another bowl of food.  Will carry on as directed but have to be in and out a couple of times today.  Received typed up notes from Sarah with a couple of small additions.  She has said not to expect an overnight change and that I have to be completely consistent. :)

Offline lucky and jj mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2009, 20:24:05 PM »
Hi Chrissie, just caught up with all your news on Charlie. I'm sorry he has got what you feared all along but on the other hand I'm pleased it is nothing to do with not being able to get out of your garden. At least you haven't the heartache of having to let him go.
It is  good she has given you hope and encouragement and knowing you, you will do all she has adviced 101%
As for the food and Charlie putting on weight could you not change his food slowly over to low calorie type?
Will be interested to hear how things progress for you and Charlie, good luck but I'm sure you won't need it your love for your boy will see you through.
My pet's are my world.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 16:38:59 PM »
It sounds like good progress so far , and feel free to lean on us all you like - God knows I am built to take it! :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 16:06:16 PM »
What a positive start with the window and you certainly sound more optimistic today  ;D so its one day at atime, yes there may be bad days but i think now you have something positive to go on and you remain in this frame of mind you will get there in the end :hug:we will look forward to the diary of progress that is being made. :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 15:13:06 PM »
This sounds very positive and by batting around the bicuit bottle and stuff that will give him exercise too.

The behaviou ist sounds really good and am sure all of us wll be interested in the diary of how Charlie progresses cos he is such an adorable boy  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 14:49:56 PM »
Its sounds a really great start and I now picture you outside with the door shut putting his food out!

So now he will get his own diary really should be Charlies Blog and what the parents are up to now!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
sounds as though things are goign well so far.   fingers crossed this continues and Charlie reaps the benefits soon!  :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:41 AM »
thanks Leanne.  My house is open plan so it is difficult to do the food in secret but I am working on it, have managed to secrete his lunch in his automatic feeder without him realising YET.

He has to have his abs and metacam on his food as I don;t want to stress him by pilling and syringing him but will work on that too.  I feel more positive about it all myself having seen an improvement re the window situation already,

It;s turning into the diary of Charlie the cat aged 1 and eleven twelfths  :rofl:

Well thats good start that his lunch is in there and he doens't know it yet.

Stressing with tablets is a nightmare I know, have to say Jess has got good with his now but its taken almost a year (Yikes)

:rofl: @ the diary

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:05 AM »
Loads of luck with Charlie's programme xx

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »
I'm so glad the behaviourist could give you some pointers to help Charlie,lets hope its onwards and upwards from now on :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 09:09:50 AM »
thanks Leanne.  My house is open plan so it is difficult to do the food in secret but I am working on it, have managed to secrete his lunch in his automatic feeder without him realising YET.

He has to have his abs and metacam on his food as I don;t want to stress him by pilling and syringing him but will work on that too.  I feel more positive about it all myself having seen an improvement re the window situation already,

It;s turning into the diary of Charlie the cat aged 1 and eleven twelfths  :rofl:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »
Course you have to update us and lean on us thats what we're all here for  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I know where you are coming from with the food thing, its really hard when they have an inbuilt alarm clock. Could you prepare meals in a room with Charlie shut out? 

Also what about giving Charlie his tablets yourself and not in food or is that a stupid suggestion, how is he taking tablets?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Wish us lots of luck tomorrow and please send positive vibes UPDATE
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »
The treatment programme has commenced!  The window is now frosted and has made a great deal of difference already.  He had a cursory look and has since not once been trying to see if there is anyone waiting outside.  The only problem I have with it is I can't look out the window to check on him etc.  I have to stand on a chair LOL

feeding regime is a difficult one.  Charlie is very food conscious and knows exactly when his feeds are due.  As my house is open plan there is no chance of doing meals in secret as his nose is in the bowl as soon as I am there.  I am making use of his automatic feeder which deals with one meal a day and have ordered a two meal one so that, ultimately, takes care of three meals altogether.  However I do have to administer his Zylkene and at the mo a/bs and metacam so that compounds the difficult.  I have made a start on his puzzle feeder (which is a Yakult bottle) supposed to put holes in it but haven't yet.  He has got the hang of it though and is gleefully batting it round trying to extract his bikkies.  Also he uses his egg box.  My worry is the increase in biscuits this requires coupled with less strenuous exercise is going to result in a fat cat, albeit more calm.

Have to say he is calmer this morning, has had two gentle plays has been in the garden, got soaked and is now snoozing happily on the dining table despite my lodger crashing about upstairs :)

That's our update for today. :)

Offline sylvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 18:06:25 PM »
I'm glad about the result.... And I'm sure you and Charlie will go the right way.. OK it is a long way but a way will pay off... and I'm sure you and Charlie can be together... :hug: :hug: :hug:
Every day without a smilie is a lost day !

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 17:40:07 PM »
Im so glad your feeling a bit calmer now ,yes it may take time and there will be days where everything you do is wrong ,but take one day at a time and im sure that it will all come together in the end with a much calmer Charlie, and we are always here for you to lean on  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 17:17:02 PM »
All sounding good so far  :hug:

With regards to climbers on the cat proofing - I've got climbers (clematis) completely covering one part of my cat proofed area and it doesnt really make much difference, the mesh is still wobbly enough for cats not to be able to gain foothold, especially with it being at an angle (if they were ever to try - which I've not seen them do!)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 17:05:37 PM »

I hope you all don't mind if I keep you posted? 

Thanks again to you all for your support and hope you don't mind if I "lean" on you for the next few weeks.  Sarah said it is not a quick fix and could take up to about 6 months - especially if he has to have the meds.

Dont you dare NOT keep us posted :rofl: 

Seriously, We are all very fond of Charlie and are all hoping that everything works out for you and him - and you know that we are here for you.  After all, you'd listen to us if it was one of our cats, wouldnt you?  :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 16:47:29 PM »
tbh you sound calmer already and that has got to make you feel better, its just good to know you have a proper path to follow - re the climbers - I have roses but they do pull on the cat proofing and have to be trimmed so wouldn't advise them I do have a black sambuca, not a climber but grows through and is so spindly they could never climb up it
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 16:48:30 PM by Dawn F »

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 16:45:32 PM »
It will be a long road but well worth it in the end and I am so glad for you and Charlie that the outlook is so good  :Luv2:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 16:42:03 PM »
Well Leanne I am in no doubt it will be hard work.  There is a new cat appeared in the neighbourhood which is causing territorial wars again!!! Looks like it might be a stray as Nigel my neighbour fed it earlier and it ate three bowls straight off and looks a bit dirty too.

I am going to do my level best to stick to what Sarah advised but I think the food one will be the hardest as Charlie has his food routine etc.  He has an automatic one meal feeder and I have ordered a two meal one today so I will try and put three meals in those which will detach me from the meal process a bit.  Then he can have his biscuits in his egg box and I will just have to try and hide stuff round the house (though I did try this morning and the little so and so found them all in 30 seconds and wolfed them).

I have bought the stick on frosting for the window just need to get it up.  Had a chat with my neighbour about deterring her cat Sophie and we have agreed we might try the rubber spikes so she can't sit down but it wont hurt her.  Also will have to get some sort of climber to cover the corner although Roz did advise against having climbers up the cat proofing.

He now has his a/bs and metacam and took them well at lunch time.  I hope you all don't mind if I keep you posted?  Also had a little gentle game with a feather this morning but then had to go to the Dogs Home and so a load of admin on my return so haven't really had another playtime yet.  He did escape out the front door when I came home though.  He didn't run off just wandered into the front garden and let me bring him back in.

I am relieved that we have a diagnosis, sad it is all caused by stress and a bit tired from all the worrying but ever onwards!  Thanks again to you all for your support and hope you don't mind if I "lean" on you for the next few weeks.  Sarah said it is not a quick fix and could take up to about 6 months - especially if he has to have the meds.

Link to CatChat