Author Topic: Awful news  (Read 52608 times)

ccmacey

Re: Awful news
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2007, 19:43:05 PM »
Karen its not your fault, things happen and dogs have no civilisation in them. I'm sending hopes and pryares she will get better and you can both be happy again. I think it would be good if you could see her as it will give her comfort and hope knowing your still there for her, have the vets said you cant see her?

What has the vets said about her condition and maybe be able to give you some ideas.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 19:44:47 PM by ccmacey »

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2007, 19:41:28 PM »
Thank you.
I've been trying to think of what I want to ask, but my head is completely away with the fairies. So much so that I set my mind to cleaning the house today, was writing my to-do list and wrote 'bleach the kittens' instead of kitchen  :-:
All I've got so far is what exactly is the matter with her, how have they ruled out a pelvic injury....um, and that's it. Are there other things I need to ask? I can't think straight.

I'm kinda dreading seeing her in one way, cos it'll break my heart to have to leave her  :'(

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2007, 19:36:54 PM »
Yeah, I'll see what they say tomorrow and see from there. I'm not gonna phone them, I'll go there myself with my list of questions, and ask to see her.

thats a fab idea hun
you have every right to see ur babe and ask all the questions u want
 :hug:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2007, 19:36:29 PM »
Fingers crossed tomorrow brings better news *hugs* Make sure to give her a gentle stroke from me. xxx
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2007, 19:35:03 PM »
I'm not gonna phone them, I'll go there myself with my list of questions, and ask to see her.

Give her a BIG KISS from me X

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2007, 18:11:41 PM »
Yeah, I'll see what they say tomorrow and see from there. I'm not gonna phone them, I'll go there myself with my list of questions, and ask to see her.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2007, 18:06:19 PM »
I agree with the others, wait and see what your vet has to say tomorrow
then i would ask if she could be moved to a hospital saying its not because you feel he has done anything wrong but because you want to try everything possible to save her.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2007, 15:59:38 PM »
If you can get your vet to agree she needs transferring then the insurance may pay your travel. Im sure i read in my M&S booklet that they pay "reasonable transport costs if your vet refers you to another place"
I know you have less vets in ireland which makes it difficult, in my town alone we have 6.

I would kick up a fuss at the phonecall you had, the custom you have brought their way and they treat you like that  >:(  I would have lost it if i was spoken to like that.

:hug: :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2007, 13:50:09 PM »
I agree entirely with Mark but hindsight is a wonderful thing.  It sounds as though the amount of "nursing" Jasmine is getting is negligible and it might have been better if she had stayed with you over the weekend rather than at the Vets.

The little one will I think be better off where she is until tomorrow anyway, when the full implications can be discussed with the vet. At least it seems that a vet is calling in and perhaps giving much needed pain relief which may be a little more difficult at home. If tomorrow you are not happy with what you are told I personally would ask another vet for a second opinion. At least then you will know you have done everything possible.

There are many vet practices that do not have vets in attendance 24/7. It is a practice accepted in the veterinary world. Obviously if it was thought a a pet needed constant supervision a vet would remain in attendance.

I think it is important to make your feelings known - you can do it without being rude yourself - otherwise the vet's wife might not even realise how insensitive she was being.  And if she does realise, she should certainly be told to be a bit more thoughtful in future.

I agree 100% with the comments. Hopefully she will the learn a valuable lesson.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2007, 13:10:13 PM »
I agree with what everyone has said about the way you have been treated. I'd like to add that the vet (and yourself, in your anxiety) seem to have forgotten that Jasmine is YOUR cat, you have the right to say how she should be treated.

It may be wise to either move her to another vet, or bring her home. She's close to you, having had her kittens with your help, and I would guess she's the type of cat who would appreciate some tlc from her 'owner'.

Going to a more distant vet will cost you more, but at least you know that the vet fees are covered, so you only have the travel expense to consider - and the welfare of Jasmine.

Your vet seems very unprofessional and to have little empathy with the animals he treats. I'd "sack" him and find someone else who will treat Jasmine with the care she deserves, and give you the respect owed to you as her loving mum.

When I contrast the way you've been treated with the sympathetic attitude of my own vet practise, which is an inner city practise, I wonder if your vet sees domestic pets as a nuisance, prefering to treat large animals (cows, sheep etc).

Jasmine's best chance of survival is another vet; but if these are her last days, would you want her to spend them like this?

Sending strength to you.  :boxer:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2007, 13:03:15 PM »
Oh Karen, you don't need this on top of everything else.

I think it is important to make your feelings known - you can do it without being rude yourself - otherwise the vet's wife might not even realise how insensitive she was being.  And if she does realise, she should certainly be told to be a bit more thoughtful in future.

I know how hard it is to be assertive at times like this, though.  Thinking of you and Jasmine.

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
Good morning Karen,

So sorry about the awful time that you are having at the moment.  I agree that it probably sounds like the Vet's wife that you were talking too and so there is no chance of sacking her.

I understand the geography of your location and how difficult it is to change Vets, with the only hospital being in Dublin that is going to be extremely difficult for you.

I agree entirely with Mark but hindsight is a wonderful thing.  It sounds as though the amount of "nursing" Jasmine is getting is negligible and it might have been better if she had stayed with you over the weekend rather than at the Vets.

If Ela is still online I think we could really use some advice on this one.

Dont forget Karen you have my number if you would like to call for a chat.

I am thinking of you   :hug:  good luck.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2007, 12:23:42 PM »
That's what i told my vet - she said that there was no difference, and I said there was as I sleep on teh floor next to them, so she wouldnt have been alone, but she couldnt have been moved that night, she did come home the day after though, and I duly slept on the floor, which I got no thanks for at all!!
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2007, 12:22:02 PM »
Karen, I know what you mean. I worry about "transference" of a dislike for me onto my animals by a vet. But I think saying how you feel is the only thing you can do.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2007, 12:20:54 PM »
MArk, thats the way mine work, so they can only keep certain cases in. I didn't know that until after they had done PEbbles op so I had no chance, but let the vet know I wasn't happy about it!!

Unless it was dangerous to move them, I would rather them home with me than left alone in the dark (our vets turn the lights out).
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2007, 12:15:58 PM »
NEver be scared to be forceful with them, I would certainly check out the other vets for the future though.
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
But you see the thing is, something tells me she wasn't a veterinary nurse, she was just the vets wife. She really didn't seem to have a clue what she was talking about, and said her husband was on farm calls.

I'm a bit scared to be too forceful or whatever with them, cos I have a feeling in might reflect in their treatment of Jasmine.
I could get a taxi to the other vets, but I wouldn't have anyone to take me to a vet hospital. Would it be a good idea to move her anyway? It might do her harm to leave her.

It's all a mess, dunno what to do.

The babies are doing great, eating well and they were on the cat tree this morning. I even got my first purrs from Daisy last night, the other 2 purr away but that was her first. All three slept in my bed last night.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:16:12 PM by karenjet »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2007, 12:09:02 PM »
She is in the wrong job. She should be sacked.

I tend to agree entirely with this sentiment. I would've thought compassion was a must for someone in that line of work. She should be ashamed of herself.

((hugs)) to Karen, Jasmine and the young 'uns.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2007, 12:07:41 PM »
MArk, thats the way mine work, so they can only keep certain cases in. I didn't know that until after they had done PEbbles op so I had no chance, but let the vet know I wasn't happy about it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2007, 12:04:01 PM »
As shocking as it is, its not normal to have someone there all the time at a vets. I didn't realise this until I moved next door to one. Someone comes by around 10 or 11pm and that's it til about 7am - I would never allow mine to stay overnight other than in a vet hospital. I think its disgusting that she laughed at you. She is in the wrong job. She should be sacked.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »
That's disgusting, Karen.  My vets have someone there 24 hours a day for pets kept in, but it is a referral practice so probably counts as a hospital.  They have to have a vet on duty so I'd ring back and ask to speak to the vet.  If they say no insist - your cat is seriously ill and you're entitled to discuss how she is today with the vet so don't take no for an answer.  Ask the vet when he last saw her and whether there was any change.  There must be someone going in to check up on the animals so I'd have thought you could visit then.  I'd also complain to the practice owner about the way you've been treated.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2007, 12:00:13 PM »
Karen i really feel you should get her tranferred to somewhere else.
Is there anyone that can drive you and her to another vets or hospital ?
The whole practice seems to be very much of the "dont care opinion" (including the vet mentioning pts within the first few hours!!)

One thing i do agree with is that sometimes it does actually stress the animal more to have visits from owners but of course all animals are different.

Karen, We are all thinking of you and i actually think you need more of a hug than Jasmine does at the moment
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »
Awww, Karen. I'm so sorry these people are such insensitive idiots.

There aren't any other vets close enough for you to transfer her are there? I mean, the practice I take my cats to are a bit more "matter of fact" than I'd like, but they've never laughed at me (or my partner) in a distressed state. That's unprofessional and just plain wrong.

I hope Jasmine improves very soon.

:care:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2007, 11:54:33 AM »
That is incredibly shocking, and as well as looking into a new vet I would be complaining to the equivalent of our RCVS. Not all vets have someone there 24 hours, mine doesn't, so they can only keep certain cases overnight (Pebbles did after her leg amputation, although I kicked off at that) - anything that needs more checking than that has to go to the out of hours vet - I wonder if the rules are different in Ireland. Such a shame you had to deal with an idiot, can you not ask to speak to the vet directly?
Please spay your cat

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »
OMG her atitude sounds awful  >:(

surely they could let u visit her

from my expirences someone is always there with the animals that have had to stay in ,

and even at the pdsa where my mum goes to they have a room with a bed and chair in for the person who stays over night with the animals .

is this woman just someone who pops in over the weekend ? hopefully when u phone tommorow u will get to speak to someone with a half decent atitude  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

i agree with what rosiesmum has said .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2007, 11:51:21 AM »
Karen

I am disgusted with the way you are being treated. I would demand a call from the Vet himself. If animals are there, surely there must be someone there incase of an Emergency??

I would keep calling until you have a satifactory result!! Her attitude is disgusting! Tell her you will be there in 1 hour and you expect someone to be there.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2007, 11:45:08 AM »
I just do not know what to do  :'(
Rang the vets earlier this morning and they just could not seem to care less. I asked how she was, and this girl said that her husband had been in earlier and she must be ok cos he'd have said if she wasn't. I asked if there was any more word on the feeling in her legs, she didn't have a clue. I asked if she'd been to the toilet yet, again, clueless, said he doesn't tell me things like that - and laughed.

I asked if I could come and visit her, and she said sometimes people ask to visit their animals but it's not really possible "Someone would have to go and open the building, and it's not good for the animal because it distresses them" were her words. So I was shocked and said yeah but someone is always in the building, aren't they? "no, no, no, someone pops in periodically but there's no-one there all the time. It's a veterinary practice, not a hospital" I said but surely someone needs to be there in case of emergency, and she just said the someone pops in bit again.
Then she laughed again and said "you're breaking your heart over this cat, are you?" As if it was all a big joke, and I snapped at her and said yes, of course I am. I'm worried sick about her and I miss her. She just said mhmm, mhmm.

So it was left that I need to ring back around 9.30 tomorrow morning. I'm just disgusted with her whole attitude, still shaking cos I'm so angry. Surely that's not how vets normally work, someone should always be over there? There are no veterinary hospitals within 50 miles to me. I don't know what to do, and now I'm much more worried than I was before. Her whole attitude was that she couldn't care less.
 :'( :'(

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »
Any news Karen? How are you holding up? Remember that we're all thinking of you.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2007, 00:55:38 AM »
I am pleased that she seems to have feeling in her legs and like the others think its very important you are able to visit her.

I think you need to insist that you visit her everyday and spend time with her.

Take with you a shirt that you have worn and not washed so she can snuggle with it, believe me visiting helps cats but not dogs.

I do hope the collective good vibes from all of us help her to improve more  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2007, 21:58:14 PM »
Only just seen this thread! Sending lots of healing vibes for Jasmine  :hug: to you!
A home without a cat is just a house!

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2007, 20:29:45 PM »
Just caught up with this thread  :(
I was so shocked, you must be so stressed out Karen  :hug:

Things seem to be looking up though so please take care of yourself and Jasmines babies

Praying for her to pull through, sounds like she's a wee fighter though  :)

xxx

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2007, 19:38:13 PM »
I am so pleased that things look a little better - have been thinking about you, Jasmine and the kittens all day.   Have you been able to visit ?
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2007, 18:55:16 PM »
Am glad to hear there has been some improvement, fingers crossed she continues to improve.
Please spay your cat

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2007, 18:53:29 PM »
Oh Karen!

So sorry to hear about Jasmine,

Keeping everything crossed and sending healing toughts from me and my girls

ems
xxxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2007, 18:42:51 PM »
I really hope she can pee for them, the vet said he wasn't worried too much about that bit yet, as shock can cause them to hold it in for a long time. Which I know is true of Jasmine, cos after she had the caesarean to have Daisy, it was about 36 hours after I brought her home before she used the litter tray.

Make sure they know that about Jasmine, Karen...

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2007, 17:46:31 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear what's happened to poor little Jasmine, I am keeping absolutely everything crossed that she can pull through this  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2007, 16:59:21 PM »
I did ask about the x-rays, but he said if it was spinal damage it wouldn't show up, and it would be best not to have to put her under anaesthetic at this stage. He sounded sooooo much more pro-active this morning when he rang than he did an hour before.

I've rang the only vet hospital I could find, and they said the same. If it was spinal damage then it's hopeless.

I really hope she can pee for them, the vet said he wasn't worried too much about that bit yet, as shock can cause them to hold it in for a long time. Which I know is true of Jasmine, cos after she had the caesarean to have Daisy, it was about 36 hours after I brought her home before she used the litter tray.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2007, 15:55:00 PM »
I have everything crossed here too.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2007, 15:51:32 PM »
Hope she improves steadily! XXX

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2007, 15:19:55 PM »
I really hope things improve over the next few days and shes alright