Author Topic: Awful news  (Read 52431 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Awful news
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 20:14:28 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about Jasmine, Karen  :hug:  As everyone has said, it's definitely not your fault.  That dog should not have been off the lead and able to run into your house.  You are not at fault.  I hope the vet is just being overly cautious and that she does recover, although I imagine it might be slow progress with this kind of injury.   I agree that I wouldn't be pushed into making a decision to pts, so long as she's not in pain and I assume she'll have been given morphine or something for the pain.  When Magpie had his thrombosis in the neck (he didn't recover) I asked about whether he would be in pain and the vet said that he shouldn't be in actual pain as he'd been given lots of pain relief, although he was obviously distressed at being in a strange place.   I hope the fact that she is feeling something in her legs is a good sign and not a bad one.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 20:08:52 PM »
I am so sorry but it is not your fault.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 20:08:27 PM »
I am so very sorry Karen, this is terrible and that dog owner should be dealt with. Its definately not your fault.

I do hope the vet is wrong, I would have thought that feeling was better than no feeling and so much can be done for cats now.

Do you have her insured?

I am wishing for every thing to be better than the vet thinks tomorrow and my heart is with you, jasmine and the kittens  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 20:05:34 PM »

I would have expected an iv drip to help combat shock and i'd have to go look it up but i am sure steriods can help in these sorts of cases (thinking out loud, off to dig out a book)

When Pingu lost the use of her legs, she was prescribed steroids so I would have thought this was the route to go.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 20:04:16 PM »
Karen, I'm so sorry to hear your news but as others have said, don't let the vet rush you into a decision.  Personally, I think the fact she is feeling pain is a good thing......if she wasn't feeling anything, I would be more worried.  She could possibly have bruising of the spine which would cause her not to use her legs.  I'm sending positive thoughts but don't give up hope, give her a few days and hopefully the use will come back.  If in doubt, get a second opinion but from what you've said, I deffo wouldn't allow them to pts, her body needs to recover from the trauma and then another assessment done.

Take care hun, and thinking of you, xxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 20:00:14 PM »
My heart goes out to you both.

I too really would have thought that feeling in Jasmine's legs would be a good sign, not a bad one.

Thinking of you both.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 19:40:14 PM »
Karen what an awful incident (freak incident) to happen.

I would NOT allow them to pts her in the immediate future and i cannot understand if she had no feeling to then feeling pain why the vet would think this a bad thing..it can only as far as i know be a good thing (tihnking of rta victims etc, havent had that sort of incident to deal with personally )

Do you know what treatment they have given her .  I would have expected an iv drip to help combat shock and i'd have to go look it up but i am sure steriods can help in these sorts of cases (thinking out loud, off to dig out a book)

Fingers crossed she pulls through.

will report back later.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 19:28:06 PM »
Oh Karen i dont know what to say.

Please dont let the vet give up too early on her, expore all avenues, see if she can be transferred to a specialest

Sending up a prayer that she makes a recovery.
Come on Jasmine - we all love you Sweetheart

Have also sent you a PM

(please report owner of dog to the police)

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 19:23:35 PM »
Karen i said a little pryer for her
when i spoke to you on chat i didnt know it was that bleak , it is your house and that dog should not have come in and the owner should not have stood there and watched
try to find out who it is and report them , it should have been on a lead ,
I know you are probably too upset at the moment thankgod it wasnt one of her kittens or they wouldnt have stood a chance.
If it was a responsible owner he will come back to check

love sasha x

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 18:55:37 PM »
BIG PRAYERS AND GET WELL WISHES FOR JASMINE AND A BIG HUG FOR YOU

It is by no means your fault at all  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

sending positive vibes for her and you too

xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 18:51:35 PM »
oh karen, i'm thinking of you both, sending positive thoughts your way - it wasnt you fault in the slightest!!!  :hug:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 18:50:55 PM »
i also agree with mm and des
a day isnt long enough to see if jasmine will recover
 :hug:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 18:49:40 PM »
Aww, Karen, I am so sorry to hear this, and fingers crossed it isnt as bleak as the vets think - I am with MM, I dont think it is long enough for them to see if she can recover. Will be thinking of her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 18:47:30 PM »
OMG thats awful......but not your fault!

Sending healing thought's your way  :hug: hope everything turns out better  :hug:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 18:46:49 PM »
oh karen  :hug: :hug:im so terribly sorry
i will pray for u and jasmine tonight and pray to god she will be ok  :'( :'( :'( :'(

i dont know what else to say other than
poor little rosie was savaged by two staffs and her mummy has said she is doing great now and she had to have ops and over 80 stitches  :'(

karen please dont blame ur self
our cats are all normally by the door when we come bk home from asda weekly shop and when oh is carrying all the shopping in our cats are in our hallway ,

have u rang the police ?
the owner will be in trouble for letting his dog run in someones private propety and attack there cat .

:hug: :hug: :hug: once again im so sorry and fingers crossed she will be ok in the end  :hug:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 18:25:45 PM »
Oh my god, that is awful!!  You poor thing, and poor little Jasmine :( 

It was most definitely NOT your fault!  The person responsible is the owner of the dog, which should have been on a lead if he cannot control it ... I would be furious if it were me and my cat, and would certainly  start proceedings against him  >:(  It was YOUR house, you knew that Jasmine wouldn't go outside, therefore it was fine for you to leave the door open.  You do NOT expect a dog to be allowed to run into your own house!

That apart, I am thinking of little Jasmine and hoping that she will pull through this horrible ordeal - big hugs to the both of you  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 18:21:23 PM »
Poor Jasmine and poor you. I know the main thing is sorting Jasmine out but I would report it to the police and get a crime number. Dogs should not be off leads. The owner has a lot to answer for.

Please don't blame yourself Karen. You should be free to be in your own hallway in your own home without fear of a dog attacking.

I'm sure you read the posts from rosiesmum. Her cat rosie was savaged by 2 dogs recently and she is recovering well and had (I believe) 72 stitches.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 18:25:36 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 18:17:34 PM »
Oh Karen thats terrible, after all you have been through with her.  :hug:  :hug:

Im sure Lynn will be along soon to offer her thoughts.

I wouldnt be told that she will be put to sleep so soon, she can have pain killers whilst things are checked out. Sometimes vets can be so bleak, especially with nerve damage, time is a great healer.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 18:09:16 PM »
Thanks. Things really do look bleak though, Liz. The vet said it's highly likely she'll be put to sleep tomorrow.

And it really is my fault. I should've closed the door, or closed Jasmine in another room. The owner was with the dog but it wasn't on a lead. He stood outside the garden and asked if the dog had killed her.

When the vet rang he said the pain in her legs is a bad sign.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 18:08:18 PM »
He's not sure if it's her spine or pelvis but she has no feeling in her back legs. I had to leave her there. He just rang and said she now seems to be feeling pain in her legs, which isn't good. They're going to do x-rays tomorrow. If there's no improvement she will need to be put to sleep.
I am so devastated I don't know what to do. It's all my fault. Please everyone, please pray she'll be ok.

As Lottie's said its not your fault, don't blame yourself. I'm no expert, but the fact that she's feeling pain in her legs, may be a good thing? at least that means she's got feeling in her legs now.  My friend's cat had a broken pelvis, but it healed and he recovered. They had to keep him very still, which meant confining him, but he was fine.

Sending positive vibes and hugs to you and Jasmine  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 18:04:42 PM »
Its not your fault and at least you got her to the vet and things don't looks so bleak.

it is a teribble shock for you and poor Jasmine

The Clan send healing purrs and hugs and want the address for the dog and the ferals will show it how to treat cats in future - references provided by Max the lab puppy up the hill as he now has a sliced face but doesn't chase our mob now! :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 17:45:44 PM »
It's not your fault! The dog shouldn't have been out on it's own to be able to attack poor Jasmine. I've got my fingers crossed for her 100%. Keep us updated.
*huge hugs*

If you want to chat I've got the chat room open in another window.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 18:00:21 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Awful news
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 17:34:52 PM »
Earlier today Jasmine was attacked by a dog, that ran into my hall when I was bringing shopping in from a taxi. I hadn't even seen the dog, until I heard Jasmine squeal. The door was open, but she never goes outside now. It all happened in 2 seconds. I picked her up and cuddled her, thought she was fine, then she wanted off my lap. When I put her down I saw she wasn't moving her two back legs. Wrapped her in a towel and took her straight to the vet. He's not sure if it's her spine or pelvis but she has no feeling in her back legs. I had to leave her there. He just rang and said she now seems to be feeling pain in her legs, which isn't good. They're going to do x-rays tomorrow. If there's no improvement she will need to be put to sleep.
I am so devastated I don't know what to do. It's all my fault. Please everyone, please pray she'll be ok.

Link to CatChat