Author Topic: increased drinking  (Read 26348 times)

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
Re: increased drinking
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2019, 10:22:35 AM »
thanks sue  :hug: no she doesn't look uncomfortable just sad, but of course that is my perception she is eating a bit but has food an water up with her I don't know if I should be encouraging her to come down from the table and she might use the tray, not sure

I think the table is a goner to be honest, before I realised she was peeing she was on a coloured towel which has leached into the wood, it is only waxed so it is badly stained, we can buy another table

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »

Urine can burn tender skin, but if she's not showing any signs of discomfort and can handle being gently cleaned up when she has an episode, then I would see how she goes Dawn and take each day at a time.   :hug: :hug:

Hydrogen peroxide based solutions are generally good at removing urine stains from most surfaces, but the issue with wood is that it can swell, and of course certain finishes such as varnish can lift.   Might be an idea to put puppy pads over the table top, towels over those and then more puppy pads on top of the towels for the time being.

Sending very much love to you both. 

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
she has had a mixed weekend, very quiet on Saturday and just sitting in urine until I changed her puppy pad spoke to the vet and agreed to take her in yesterday for the final time she was a bit perkier on sunday and even came to have a look at us painting the bedroom ceiling.  Anyway we took her on Monday and the vet said she didn't think it was her time and that the peeing is just part of life I have to live with, not really sure what to make of it, anyway she is home back on the kitchen table (anyone know how to get pee out of wood!!) on a pile of towels and a puppy pad

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
Dawn  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2019, 01:48:43 AM »
Not at all, but you do have us and your OH who is just as invested n Tilly to support you. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2019, 21:15:55 PM »

You'll do what's right at the right time.  Which doesn't make it easier. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2019, 20:29:19 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: Dawn.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2019, 13:33:01 PM »
Aww, sorry to hear that Dawn.
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2019, 12:52:08 PM »
she has moments of her old self - but often looks like she isn't sure what is going on - just spoke to oh, he said she was sitting on the table and started to pee, he put her in the tray and she got straight out, then went back in and went
she isn't eating much and went not on the kitchen table is in the box room and buries herself under the covers  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »

Oh Dawn.   How is she otherwise?   

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2019, 10:48:02 AM »
she seems to be peeing in her sleep  :(

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2019, 13:35:31 PM »
the purina food was delivered to work today so will see how we get on with that

I really appreciate all the feed back about this, she was the reason I joined cat chat 13 years ago, I'm sure she would be pleased we are still talking about her!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2019, 13:32:58 PM »
Glad you had a nice vet. I wouldn’t be so concerned she hasn’t put weight on so soon, but good she hasn’t lost any. Really glad they want to repeat bloods in a month, hopefully this was just a blip and she will be back towards normal.
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2019, 12:38:23 PM »
I'm rather resigned to it now Paula, not like last Friday night when I turned up at the vet like an extra from kiss (thanks for telling me oh!) we take a lot of comfort from knowing she has never, in all of her 14 years, known a day of hardship unlike willow and star

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »
I don't know what to say Dawn, :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2019, 10:17:19 AM »
well she hasn't put on any weight, she will need another blood test in a month, was a vet I hadn't seen before but would see again she seemed quite with it, oh tried to press on her on timescale she said months but obviously not how many

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
How did it go Dawn?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2019, 15:26:59 PM »
It is normal for them to go off their usual food when ill, I had a nightmare finding something Lucy would eat after her op, ironically the food she ate was one she refused before! Hopefully as she feels better she will eat the others. Of course it could be because you bought more of that flavour!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 15:27:40 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2019, 14:35:49 PM »
that is interesting to know!  before she was very ill she ate everyone I tried!  I'm hoping as she feels better she will eat the others, typically I got 48 of the chicken and only 12 of the tuna and beef!

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2019, 14:29:31 PM »
I've always found the Tuna was the best received of RC.
Me too, although I kept a box of the chicken handy just in case Sasa ever changed her mind ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2019, 13:12:17 PM »
Sorry it got cancelled, fingers crossed for tonight. Good she is eating some renal, I've always found the Tuna was the best received of RC.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »
I'm glad that she is eating again Dawn, hoping it goes well later. :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »

Sending tons of good wishes for today, Dawn.   :hug:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
unfortunately they cancelled us, we go tonight, the good news is she is eating the royal canin pouches but only in the tuna flavour but it is a start, she seems brighter I think, hopefully she has put on a tiny bit of weight

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2019, 20:02:29 PM »

How did you get on, Dawn

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »
Everything crossed that the check up goes well today Dawn, and Tilly. :Luv: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2019, 13:01:44 PM »
Yes, it does make it harder, mine has 3 branches and they rotate due to the shift patterns/holidays, but we have fairly set days at the branch I use, which is why Lucy generally only goes on a Tue or Thu, as we now only have one vet who can do acupuncture (there were two when we started!). Glad she is home, not surprising she doesn’t seem herself, but at least she is eating (even if not the right thing!) and has used the tray. That is a good reduction, good luck for the check up tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »
Thanks for the update Dawn. I am glad that your girl is home and hope she continues to improve  :hug:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »
well she is home, she has taken up residence on the kitchen table near a radiator, she has eaten half a pouch last night and half this morning (but not renal food which I am supposed to be giving but she won't eat ) and I saw her use the tray - she is moving at speed I'll give her that but doesn't seem herself, oh thinks her legs are hurting where the drip was - her numbers are in the 200 now, she is back at the vet tomorrow night

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2019, 15:43:34 PM »
the trouble with our vets is that there are three branches and the staff work all over the place, its really hard to see the same person twice - I would have thought reading her notes would be normal though, I may say something tonight once I have her back!  yes oh is keen she go back more regularly as well

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2019, 15:35:52 PM »
3 months is standard, but after a spike I wouldn't want to go longer than a month. Odd they would try and prescribe the meds she's already on!
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2019, 15:26:39 PM »
that is the worrying thing, they are saying three months, the vet also suggested she go on medication - one they have been prescribing for over a year

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2019, 15:23:27 PM »
Ah, dental and infection could have been enough to tip her kidneys over, if so, this could just be a blip and not a sign she is getting worse. Assume the vet will suggest a check up when you collect her but if not, I'd take her back in either a fortnight or a month for a repeat test
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2019, 14:25:47 PM »
I do have a list of other things, apparently the pospherous was bad but also considerably down - I think it may be partly my fault that it has happened, instead of giving her medicine in her mouth since her dental and the subsequent infection I've been putting it in her food so I'm not messing her about too much, she clearly hasn't been getting her full dose and of course as that happened she was eating less and it became a bit of a vicious circle

oh and I are thinking if it happens again it will probably be her time, she isn't suited to spending days in a cage, it was always my hope that she wouldn't know she was ill

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2019, 13:32:37 PM »
Sorry to hear her bloods were so far out, the fact they have come down so much on fluids and she is well enough in herself is a positive sign. Would be worth asking the rest of her results, see if it shows a reason for the sudden spike as she has been on treatment – Buster’s was an infection. Am glad the vet is positive about it and that she is coming home tonight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »

Creatinine at that level confirms the CRF diagnosis for sure I would say Dawn.  Fluids can certainly make a major improvement.  I recall thinking that recovery following fluids would only be relatively temporary but was proved wrong by another Purrs member whose cat went on for a while after fluid therapy.  Will have a look see and see if I can recall who it was.

Sorry Dawn, I can't find who it was.  We let Freddie go when the result came back over 900.  It was off the scale and he was obviously uncomfortable. 

I'm quite sure you and hubby will be able to tell when Tilly is no longer enjoying her life.  Tanya's website (the go to feline CRF bible) helpfully mentioned to look out for circling when trying to lie down as if can't get comfortable.  That's what happened with our darling Fred RIP
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 13:02:15 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
vet has just called, she can come home this evening, star has an appointment tonight anyway so we will collect her then - she said her numbers are down (she wouldn't say what said we would discuss later) but will never likely be in the normal again, she does seem to have her appetite back though

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »

Dawn, thinking of you and sending every good wish and tons of snoozles  xxx

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »
Dawn  :crossed:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »
thanks so much, this is what I appreciate so much about purrs

anyway events have over taken us, I got a call while cooking dinner on Friday night to say the results had just come in and I had to take her as a matter of urgency to the out of hours service, her creatinine was over 700 and should be under 140 so the upshot is my poor girl has been in all weekend having her kidneys flushed, I was allowed to visit on Saturday and she seemed perky and was eating again, at that stage her number was in the 500's but she is being retested this afternoon and all being well can come home - oh and I spent half Friday night asking ourselves if we should let her go but the vet wasn't in agreement and says she thinks she can bounce back from this - the thyroid didn't even get a mention, I will have to ask later

Link to CatChat