Author Topic: The Office Cats  (Read 41771 times)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
Re: The Office Cats
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2018, 18:13:38 PM »
The Seven Ages of Cats

That is how those of us, who spoil the cats, feel, Sue. If they only have a few years left, they can have treats in the meantime - although they probably have too many. I gave them extra cat milk today, to use it up, so they did not get cat sticks (from me at least). If I can work out the menu pattern, as far as it affects evaporated milk, I might seek more for the cats. 

Tiggie spent a lot of the morning sleeping on the radiator, in front of the window, in the sun (we had sun and snow at 10:20 this morning). Kizzie often sleeps under tables or behind chairs in front of radiators. How they do not roast alive I do not know. I made sure they had plenty of water today.

This afternoon, I took the guinea pigs to all of the residents. Only two did not stroke them, and one of those was asleep, so it took quite a long time. The residents also had a little tub of New Forest ice cream each, this afternoon, which might seem funny, but it gives them extra liquid and they love it! It was just a bit tricky stroking the guinea pig between eating the icecream. Some have cans of coke, which is bit odd for their generation to me, although one spent a lot of time in America. Her children are grown up and American to all intents and purposes. 

I have to admit I love taking the animals around, as the residents seem to get such a lot of pleasure from such a small event. When visitors bring dogs or small children, I wonder if they realise how much they like to see them (especially babies or toddlers).

The Seven Ages of Man from Shakespeare-ish:

The Six? Ages of Cats from Pinterest:

The Seven Ages of Man from Sidney Harris:

The Seven Ages of Women from Someone's Blog:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 18:17:25 PM by Cloveart, Reason: Made lots of mistakes, as usual »
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2018, 16:01:20 PM »
  Twas indeed me.  As an occasional treat it,was fine.  In older cats too I wouldn't hesitate to give them something they love from time to time.
Especially when their appetites start to fail. 

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2018, 06:50:19 AM »
Apologies, Paula. Sue P mentioned (about a year ago) that one of her cats liked evaporated milk, so it had some as a treat. This stayed in my mind for some reason. One of my skills is retaining obscure information, from one year to another, while forgetting really important things from say morning to afternoon. 

https://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=47620.msg870110#msg870110

The internet tells me that 60 percent of water is removed from milk to make the condensed versions. Paradoxically (I think), evaporated milk has no added sugar, while that marketed as condensed milk has some added to give it a sweeter flavour and caramel colour. 
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2018, 20:59:53 PM »
I don't think it was me as I have never given my cats evaporated milk, surely it still contains lactose?, but it is very rich so maybe that is why the treat was refused.

I buy cat dishes from Poundland or the 99p shop, just as good and a fraction of the pet shop price.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2018, 20:42:33 PM »
A Kitties Update

^ A curse upon those who watermark their clipart!

About three weeks ago, I arrived at work and stroked Tiggie as usual. A member of staff who has been there a long time, said she thought I was brave as the cat can be temperamental. she is right, but Tiggie is better now than she was when I started working there. New staff, assuming they were interested in the first place, would probably think nothing of stroking Tiggie now. The manager pushes her face into tiggie's fur, but even I would not go that far.

Later, the manager brought Kizzie to me and dropped her down on the desk, saying she had seen her licking an empty milk saucer. She asked if I had any more cat milk, so  I felt duty bound to give kizzie some more, although she did not really need any. Earlier, when I gave the cats a saucer of cat milk,  I put Tiggie's on the floor first and Kizzie pushed her out of the way and started lapping, which I have never seen before. You migh think Tiggie was more likely to push Kizzie out of the way. I pulled Kizzie off of Tiggie's saucer and gave her one of her own. 

In the afternoon, I noticed Kizzie sleeping in the office and had not seen her arrive.

On another day, Kizzie came out of the office as I arrived in the morning. At one time, I could walk in and expect to find her already in the office, but not so much now. Later, for some reason I looked under the desk and there she was asleep and I  had not noticed her arrive. A little while after this, I heard a squeak, looked under the desk and there she was again asleep.

A  couple of weeks ago, I went to get an item from the cupboard in the office and felt my foot kick against something, I looked down and . . . . there was Kizzie previously asleep and now looking up at me with indignation. I apologised, gave her a tickle and she went back to sleep.

About a week ago, I arrived without the cat milk, so one of the night staff offered me a jug of evaporated milk, which had accompanied a since-eaten dessert, to give to the cats. I had never given them evaporated milk but had intended to give it a try (I think Paula had suggested it?).  They seemed to love it and gulped down three saucerfuls. Sometime afterwards, one of the domestics told me they had no water, which raised two points: (i) I had not noticed because I had not fed them (usually, I wash the bowls, feed them and change the water); and (ii) how long had they been without water?

I resolved to buy another bowl (one each) from a charity shop as you always see them when you do not need one. Sod's law meant I have not seen one, so I may have to buy another form the pet shop.

Around the time of the evaporated milk incident, Kizzie refused a cat stick, which never happens. Instead of chewing them, both cats always wolf them down in about twenty seconds. I gave her another, which she refused, so I put the first in her bowl and gave the second to Tiggie. Eventually, the stick in the bowl disappeared, but whether Kizzie got her appetite back or Tigggie ate it I do not know. Kizzie has not refused a stick since.

Overall, Kizzie has been back in the office for longer spells or even outside the door, completely relaxed.  A couple of times she has crouched as if to jump up onto the chair, but I do not think she can now. Tiggie does a similar thing with the settees in the forum, but does not jump up. Apparently, Kizzie has been seen to climb again on the laundry trolly, but it is very unusual now.  I feel much happier when the cats are around the office, even if it is just cupboard love, as I know where they are and what they are doing.

Believe it or not, I wrote all of this up to 38 minutes ago and lost the lot. My operating system and the Purrs software are not compatible. I purrsisted as I have not posted here for a while. 

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2018, 18:38:17 PM »
I do a fair bit of pottering these days. The cats definitely potter, but with catty elegance.  8)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2018, 14:37:41 PM »
That's good to hear, Cloveart.  Glad things are still pottering along nicely for you and the ladies.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2018, 14:35:13 PM »
Don't worry Sue, I am fine.  :hug: The office cats are okay, if not in peak fitness. Kizzie is underweight and Tiggie still has a bit of a limp from her rheumatism. Otherwise, they are alright and are very spoilt by about five or so staff. 

I hope you are keeping well. :thanks:  :Luv:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 14:37:25 PM by Cloveart »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
Hey Cloveart - how are you, and how are Kizzie and Tiggie?  I worry when we don't hear from you.  I always enjoy hearing about how things are.

Hoping all is well.   :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2017, 21:02:53 PM »
That us so true, at least the computer part, I haven't drawn in years.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
I am indeed.....     :rofl: :rofl:  I've not seen that one!   Brilliant.  And so true.  Moray was doing that to me only yesterday.  I don't know the name of the episode either, I'm afraid, but thanks for sharing, Cloveart.   :)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
Simon's Cat does make me laugh. Here he is in the office, from Simon's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/simonscat/videos/10156147041989523/

I do not know the name of this episode. Sue, are you there?

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2017, 09:03:43 AM »
Thanks for the positive feedback Paula and Sue. Where would I be without you?

Paula, there cannot be many of us who have not used a word more than once or twice in one sentence. English is hard work.

Sue, 'caprice' is a good word for the office cats. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:04:22 AM by Cloveart »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2017, 06:54:42 AM »
Love the update, Cloveart.

Cats will invariably sit in spots which to us are supremely uncomfortable or inappropriate, but to them - they're everything.   When they choose to spend time in the same room as us, it's actually quite an honour - they're hanging out with us, much as good friends would.  Hell, they are our good friends, are they not?  It's why we miss them when they aren't about.

Maybe they sense the new residents need a spot of quiet company.   :)

I think that's why Simon Toefield, Author of "SImon's Cat" cartoons is so loved - he captures the caprices and whims of the average cat with their cat slave, and because we all know how much a relationship with a cat is one of equality and respect, we can't fail to laugh.   :)

Of course Kizzie and Tiggy are Divas - they're your Divas (and ours by extension  ;))

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2017, 06:08:34 AM »
I love the picture, all cats are Divas, even the boys, maybe even, especially the boys. :rofl:

Committed a grammatical sin, used even twice in one sentence, I am too :tired: to think of an alternative. :evillaugh:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2017, 23:26:21 PM »
Kizzie and Tiggie are Divas

It has been a while since I posted in this thread, and I think I am suffering from some sort of writing-about-the-cats block. I remember an article by a well-known author in a writers' magazine (although I have forgotten her name), who advised readers to keep writing even if it is rubbish. So here we go, onwards and upwards.

A few weeks ago, Kizzie developed the habit of sitting or sleeping just outside the office, but rarely entering, and occasionally, she would peep around the door. She kept doing this for a while, until she came in for tickles, treats and cat milk. Eventually, she took it upon herself to jump up onto the desk, even if she took a short cut by jumping on the chair first - this was something she used to do all the time, but completely stopped, and now she was back. Sadly, she did it a few times, stopped and reverted back to sitting outside the door for a while and gradually faded back to sitting on, or behind, the comfy chairs at the top of the corridor. Now, she has gone. It was all understandable as she is getting old and is not well, but it gave me the glimmer of hope that she would come back to the office.

Sometimes Kizzie sits in the cupboard, on an uncomfortable pile of paper, not on the towel I especially put in there for her. She always comes in to say hello, have some treats or cat milk and that is as far as it goes. I have come to the conclusion that she would rather sit with the newish cat loving residents, that have joined us since I was appointed, because they are there all the time. In a way, she is fulfilling her purpose of being a pet for the residents, but some can be rough and tease her which I do not like.       

One day, the other person who works in the office, when I am not working, Mattie, came in to discuss some archiving of documents we had to organise. Yeah, really exciting stuff. Anyway, something had unsettled Kizzie (the hoover, a visiting dog, or noisy people) and she came into the office. Mattie said, 'Hello, Kizzie, you don't come in to the office when I'm here,' which came as a huge relief to me as it confirmed that she was not chasing the cats out when on her own. 

In the last couple of weeks, the cats have come to me and sat and stared, while I stroked them and they purred. Then I gave them treats and they promptly vanished, as if to say, 'We only pretended to like the strokes, but it was the food we really wanted and now we have had some we are out of here. See you next time.'  Kizzie has developed a fussiness to the extent that she will only eat Felix treats and not the Goodies, even if they are fish flavoured. Tiggie just eats anything.

Tiggie would take things even further and sit at the door as if she wanted to go in or out, and then when the door was opened she would either just sit looking in/out or run away. On one occasion, when she was outside and I had been through the disabling the door alarm process and chasing her about three times in rapid succession, I suddenly pounced, grabbed her and made her go back inside. She swanned off down the corridor as if it was what she had intended anyway, but just wanted to enjoy messing me about.   

A visiting chef, who has not worked in our home for awhile, asked where the cat, that is always in the office had gone. I said they are both still here somewhere, but do not come into the office as they used to do. I still talk to them, and the guinea pigs, and still get passers-by saying, 'Pardon?' to which I have to reply, 'It is alright, I was just talking to the cat'. It does not seem much better than saying, 'Actually, I am quite mad and was having a conversation with myself.'

With the lower temperatures outside, Kizzie is almost permanently using the cat tray now, while Tiggie only goes outside when it is essential and not for very long. On reflection, they are both getting on a bit and do not need to go outside much these days.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2017, 21:41:25 PM »
What you see is what you get with any animal. I too prefer animals.[/size]

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »
Have always had an affinity for animals and a desire to pat and stroke dogs/cats etc from being a kid.   :evillaugh: I was fortunate in that my family embraced animals and wildlife with great enthusiasm, and we always had guinea pigs, dogs, budgies, pigeons, stick insects, gerbils, rats, tortoises and the like, not to mention fledglings Mum would find and nurse to adulthood.  Our dogs, tortoises and budgies accompanied us on camping trips from time to time.  I think we were a little like the Durrells.  :rofl:

I much prefer animals to people.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
I stroke other people's dogs when I am out. Most owners don't mind, some give me a funny look and I have been bitten! I feel I can forgive animals for all their foibles, which I struggle to do with some people.

Rosella, I have been reading this morning about hypothyroidism, on the internet, and I can see what you mean. I am going to note all the symptoms in my trusty notebook.     

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 10:48:22 AM by Cloveart, Reason: It\'s always the font size! »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »

The road I live on is very leafy especially near our house and we have lots of dog walkers.  On the now sadly rare occasion that I get time to garden at the front, the dogs and owners don't stand a chance of passing without me stopping them. 

We too had animals, mainly cats, growing up.  My mom is another animal lover.  I certainly feel more comfortable with them than their slaves at times  :)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2017, 22:45:03 PM »
Rosella, I do not know about the extent of the finances. I shall have to make several enquiries when I return, in the light of your posts.

Sue, I am not the only person to look after the cats and it is a team effort. The staff do see them as a bit more than furniture. Admittedly, some just do not like cats, while a few others are indifferent. A key element is that the manager is a cat lover. Authority care homes are understaffed and everyone is overworked, so they slip down the list of priorities. The shifts are long, the work is hard and people get very tired. Perhaps the difference between me and the others is that my shifts are shorter, my work is less stressful and, crucially, I cannot resist cats or probably any animals. When visitors bring pets in, I feel compelled to stroke them. It must be a strong instinct from my childhood, having grown up with animals. Do others on this forum feel the same?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 22:51:12 PM by Cloveart, Reason: Keep forgetting the font size. »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2017, 22:11:22 PM »

Blood tests would have indicated whether the problem is kidneys or thyroid.  Thyroid symptoms are often very different to kidney problems.  Whilst kidneys, liver and diabetes frequently part of a general test, thyroid not always done.

I recently had Noni tested.   General inhouse bloods cost circa £80 and thyroid sent off and cost another £50.  Do you think the funds are available for such tests?

Not sure if vet would speak with anyone other than registered owner.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2017, 17:47:07 PM »
Might be worth a try, Cloveart.  I think you are the only one who has any specialist interest in your cat companions' health and well-being, whereas  most of your colleagues tend to see them a little like furniture, without sounding too presumptuous.  :shy:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2017, 13:39:37 PM »
Rosella, I only heard secondhand, but was told he said it could be a problem with the kidneys or thyroid. I think she had a blood test. Do you think I should phone or visit him and ask for myself?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 13:40:37 PM by Cloveart »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2017, 13:19:10 PM »
Everything you say about Kizzie points to Hyperthyroidism Cloveart.  It can be treated.  Was her blood tested for thyroid problems?

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »
I agree with your comment on Kizzie's markings. I often think that if I wanted a cat with her pattern I would not find one. She seems to have a combination of ginger and tabby with white trim, and is symmetrical. If Kizzie was a woman she would be Jenna Coleman. A member of staff on Friday said she is disappearing before our eyes, which is horribly true. She added that she hopes one day the little cat will just lie down and die without any suffering. I could not agreed more.

Kizzie has seen a vet, but there is not much that can be done. She eats a huge amount of food and is probably getting at least three meals a day, plus lots of treats. There are about four of us who buy treats, and both cats go from one to the other. They also 'talk' care staff into giving them leftovers from the kitchen (which I noticed includes milk). This weekend, they had mountains of food. She is not absorbing much of them, but she enjoys every mouthful, so she might as well be happy in her twilight. The same is true of Tiggie, as you cannot give to one and not the other. We have a rota, but extras cannot really be added.   

The litter tray is working well and Kizzie is using it a lot now. The only problem is that it is hard to tell who is clearing the top of the tray. Another rota might mean death by rotas. I just removed the mess on top and flushed it down the toilet 'next door'. The problem is with the layer of wee. Not much Catsan was missing from the sack, so at the end of this week, I will check the bag again and remove the top layer from the tray (unless the sack is depleted and someone else has already done so).  Oh, and another problem is that Kizzie can be a bit moist and it sticks to the edge of the plastic tray. The subsequent mess is difficult to remove as the tray is, of course, full of litter. I was reluctant to use anything on the tray, as I do not want to put off Kizzie from doing what she is doing. Does anyone have suggestions for this?

The last few weeks, Kizzie has been in the office a lot more, and this was the subject of my missing posts (I do not know what happened). One day, she went bowling into the cushion under the desk, and got a punch on the nose from Tiggie, who was already curled up and comfy in the same place. We assume that cats have exemplary vision and hearing, but some of us suspect that both of our kitties do not. Although she does occasionally climb onto chairs, she is now completely reluctant to make her way onto the desktop and the in-tray. Perhaps it is fear of being chased off, directly onto the floor.   

One day, after going home covered in bites, I decided to give the moggies the anti-flea stuff. Kizzie was completely compliant, but she moved at the wrong time and I think the liquid went on her fur instead of the skin. Tiggie did not scratch or bite, but she was suspicious of something in my hand and ran away, so I am sure I hit the fur and not the skin. I just hope they absorb the liquid through their fur or that it travels along the fur by capillary attraction. The manufacturers say the liquid is easy to apply, but they should try applying it to Tiggie! In any, I might have got the bugs from the guinea pigs, who are periodically washed with special guinea-pig shampoo. One day, I would like to take a photo of them covered in lather!

Despite seeming a sad little thing, Kizzie still makes her squeaky purring sound, when being stroked. It sounds pathetic, but it upsets me just writing this. Once or twice, I looked back into her eyes and . . . well, you know what I mean. First thing in the mornings, she did not want to be stroked at all and I am not sure what is behind this. Perhaps her skin is sore or something happens in my absence. I cannot figure it out.

PS: Rosella, you are right about feeding more than one cat. Ours have their own bowls, but sometimes eat each other's food for no apparent reason. I thought for some time it was to steal the jelly (they look furrr-tive :rofl:), but noticed recently it is not always the case. Perhaps, like children, they count the amount of chunks. Cats must be able to count. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:48:34 AM by Cloveart, Reason: Increased the font size »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »
Beautiful cats  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Kizzie's markings are particularly lovely  :Luv2:  Has she been to the vet yet? Vet will certainly ask about eating and toileting.   Its  difficult to keep tabs on how much a cat is eating if lots of people are feeding it or like us you have lots of cats  :innocent:

Hope the litter tray use is going to plan.

So irritating when we lose posts.  It hasn't happened to me in a while but if I do a long post I used to type it in Word and copy it over.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D :Luv:  Doesnt she look so comfy? 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2017, 20:01:48 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2017, 20:00:16 PM »
I wrote a lot to go with this photo but lost it twice, so I have given up. Here is the photo anyway.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2017, 20:43:15 PM »
Thanks, Paula, the cats are lovely. I know a bad workman blames his tools, but this camera is driving me nuts. I am using about ten percent of photos at the most. I have also been trying to use it for photos of local views for facebook, but progress is very slow. It does not help that I am not really a facebook person.

I should add that I was led to believe that you lose Paint, when Windows 10 updates it to Paint 3D, but this has not been the case. I have been able to edit using both versions of Paint. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 20:48:47 PM by Cloveart »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2017, 20:33:35 PM »
Lovely photos of lovely cats. :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2017, 20:29:35 PM »
Kizzie considers whether she should have her tea, or go back behind the chair, while Tiggie looks on. She went back behind the chair, but probably ate the tea later. Finally, Kizzie looks at the camera, for the first time in about fifty photos, and I cut her ears off and give her alien green eyes!

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2017, 20:18:07 PM »
Tiggie preferred to sleep under the desk on my bag, which offers no comfort value at all, then under the coffee table. 

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2017, 20:10:44 PM »
Having spent much of the day between the back of the comfy chair and the radiator, Kizzie went sunbathing.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 20:11:22 PM by Cloveart »

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
The consensus seems to be do not line the tray, which is what some staff were saying. Our tray was generously filled, so it appears it was unnecessary to line the tray. I will take this information back, if the penny has not already dropped before my return. Thank you for the info, Paula and Sue, what would I do without you?  da best
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:58:52 AM by Cloveart »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
Morning all.

Cloveart, I think maybe as she's aging, she will be prone to things like Hyperthyroidism, or kidney issues, hence that she loses condition and muscle, bless her.  As Paula says, just 'cos she's old, doesn't mean she doesn't deserve the best of care, and in that respect, you certainly do your part.   :hug:

I don't use litter tray liners either - as Paula's mentioned, most cats really dislike them.  If the litter is kept generously deep, you shouldn't really need to completely clean the tray and letter for around a month, just scooping daily.  We use puppy pads under the tray, as one of ours sometimes misses the target, bless her.

Sadly, there are still a lot of people who consider cat excrement as a deadly toxin (not helped by media hype).  If proper hygiene is carried out, such as not letting pregnant women clean the trays unless they're wearing protective gloves and practise good hand and implement washing, then it's no more dangerous than any kind of poop - and we all have to deal with that in our lives.   :innocent:

That was a shame about the Camera.  I hope that you manage to find another similar one within your budget. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2017, 18:17:09 PM »
I use Tesco value lightweight litter, it clumps, so easy to lift into the nappy sack with little waste for wees, and it sticks to solids so they are easy to lift too, £1.55 for 10Litres.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2017, 18:11:28 PM »
I shall take back the suggestion about nappy sacks. They will have to come up with something pdq, because the mess on top of the litter, while showing the tray is being used, does not look nice to visitors and it would be a waste to ditch the whole tray for a mess on the surface. Apparently, they are using a cheap cat lit, which some have pointed out is a false economy. As I say, I do not really know. What I did think was funny, was that a cleaner had to clean the whole corridor one day, because he could not see the alleged mark on the carpet :evillaugh:. I have noticed myself, that when you turn your back on a stain, they can 'disappear' on our carpets and it does serve to put things in perspective. When all is said and done, they are only cats, . . . or are they?!

I did try to distract the lady with the smaller treats, but she seems to have latched onto the sticks for some reason.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2017, 17:47:07 PM »
Personally I don't like litter tray liners and neither do my cats, I don't think they like the feeling underpaw, I use value nappy sacks to clear the tray and a scoop that cost about £1.99 in the pet shop. I hope that helps. Maybe if you tried something like Dreamies or Felix Crispies rather than sticks the resident would find it harder to tease with them?

Link to CatChat