Author Topic: The Office Cats  (Read 41640 times)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzie and Tiggie
Re: The Office Cats
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 21:36:30 PM »
This is the picture from another source:

And here is the link: http://iwastesomuchtime.com/70685

I know Irfanview well, Gill. It is an image editor. I still need scanning software and/or software to get the photos off my Samsung Galaxy Y phone. I used Samsung Kies with my old operating system, but I am having problems using it with Windows 10.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 21:46:30 PM by Cloveart »
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 16:49:03 PM »
 COULDNT SEE THE PIC.

HOWEVER I WOULD FIRMLY ADVISE YOU DOWN LOAD IRFAN VIEW THE 32BIT VERSION. ITS A BRILL PROGRAMME WRIITEN BY A GUY IN UM CROATIA OR CLOSE!

IF YOU HAVE PROBS WITH IT YOU CAN EMAIL HIM, HE IS A BIT TOO TECHNICAL FOR ME BUT WITHING THIS YOU CAN VIEW ALL PICS ON PC/LAPPY, RESIZE FOR PURRS, PUT ON CAPTIONS ETC ETC.

ITS FREE AND HAVE BEEN USING FOR YEARS.

YOU COULD BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD FROM PHONE BY ATTACHING IT TO LAPPY/PC.  USUALLY USB PLUG WITH A MINI PLUG GOING INTO MOBILE.

ANY WAY HERE IS THE LINK AND I CAN RUN YOU THRO HOW TO RESIZE, SAVE ETC IF YOU NEED HELP.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
Given the Cold Shoulder

. . . and that means you!

Sometimes I work on Tuesday, but not as  rule, so I was put out when the traffic was diverted and I had to take the long route to the care home. Getting closer to my start time while still driving, I took heart from following one of my colleagues in the car ahead. Arriving with seconds to spare, I heard her talking to the cats as she entered the forum ahead of me. Kizzie was under the table with a tablecloth, sprawled on the carpet in front of the radiator, and Tiggie was in the open area somewhere. Lifting the table cloth, I said, 'Hello, Kizzie, what are you doing there?' She avoid eye contact and ignored me as she sometimes does if I have been away for four days or so. but this time I had only been off for one day. However, the lady ahead of me brings in the cat food, helps feed them, and had their favourite Whiskas fish selection. I left her to it and headed for the office and it was not long before Kizzie leapt onto the work top in one bound, which can be disconcerting as you do not hear her enter. She lay in the in-tray and we had the usual fussing and purring session.

When the food lady appeared later in the office, she told me, 'Kizzie's glad you're here'. Still feeling wounded, I replied the cat had given me the cold shoulder earlier. She just smiled. During the day, the spitfire pilot lady asked me where the cats were and came into the office either to find them out-and-about or there to be stroked. At my interview I was asked about how I would feel about residents coming into the office, but they are rarely a problem. Another later came in to ask me how to fold her walking frame, and left a happy customer, although it was probably safer fully stretched open. A lady called in with a delivery, from the pharmacy or somewhere, and before leaving asked if she could stroke the cat. I answered with, 'Of course,' as Kizzie is always willing to be stroked by anyone, as long as they are quiet.   

Sometimes, I feel guilty when the residents want Kizzie to stay with them and instead they follow me, like little dogs, as I walk away. There is a feeling among some staff that I am trying to keep the cats to myself, but it is not a conscious decision on my part. Cats are similar to children in that they like what they know. They may turn their back on you, but they soon return to the familiar.

Also, it is Sod's law that I can be working all morning, but when a manager walks into my office, I am stroking the cats. The cook told me it can be the same for him, when, suffering from the heat all morning, he sits down thinking, 'Phew!' just as one of the managers walks into the kitchen. I take consolation from this and the fact that the manager has walked into my office, picked up the cat, pushed her face into it and given it a kiss. Even I don't kiss the cats, at least not yet.

Mid-morning, Kizzie was ready for cat milk. Not having bought more, I gave her a saucer of milk, but after a few licks, she gave up and returned to the in-tray, as if to say, 'Enough of this rubbish, where's the cat milk?' As compenation I gave her a few Go-cat biscuits, which she crunched up in no time. Tiggie, by now under a small coffee table in front of a radiator, by contrast lapped with gusto, as if to say, 'At last, real milk. This is much better than that horrible cat milk!' 

At home time, I did not need to feed the cats, as I think they were surreptitiously given a can of tuna from the kitchen cupboard. 

Update on posting photos: having looked at various image hosting sites, as an alternative to TinyPics, which is determined not let me back in, I may upload photos to Google Photos. This depends on me scanning the copies of photos, so last night I had to download a driver which hopefull will allow me to use my old scanner with my new computer. It is a pain not being able to upload from my phone.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:00:45 AM by Cloveart, Reason: Made a few alterations to the grammar »
The Office Cats (unashamed self-promotion): http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,47624.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 19:09:52 PM »
lol my brother is cat phobic!!  he hates coming to my house  :evillaugh:

It is also a truth that if you have two cat lovers and one cat hater on the sofa, the cats will immediately try to sit on the cat haters lap. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :naughty:

THAT IS SO TRUE AND I WAS A HATE HATER!

WHEN I FIRST MOVED TO LONDON AND MY FIRST BEDSIT THE PERSON WHO RAN THE HOUSE WAS SOMEOME I KNEWW IN THE AIRFORCE AND MANAGED TO GET ME A ROOM.

SHE HAD A CAT CALLED MONKEY!  THE FIRST THING I DID WAS OFF TO ISLE WIGHT AND THE MASSIVE FESTIVAL IN 1970 CAME BACK SHATTERED, FELL SLEEP IN GARDEN, WOKE UP WITH MONKEY ON MY LAP!

MAYBE THAT SET MY FATE FOR THE FUTURE  :rofl: :rofl:

ALSO LOVE HEARING ABOUT THE CATS AND PATIENTS AND AS WAS SAID STAFF THAT CARE.

SADLY YOU ARE RIGHT T AIRYS THREAD WAS NOT JUST ABOUT HIM AND WE TRIED EVERYTHING WE COULD  TO GET HIS MEOWMY BACK ON PURRS AFTER SHE WAS TAKEN ILL BUT SADLY NEVER SUCCCEEDED.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
Am loving the self promotion link  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 05:25:45 AM »

It is also a truth that if you have two cat lovers and one cat hater on the sofa, the cats will immediately try to sit on the cat haters lap. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :naughty:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 13:11:38 PM »
Oh I love that cartoon - it reminds me of my home pootering space.   :evillaugh:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
Paula, I love you!  :hug:  I cannot take any credit for the cartoons, I just do a Google search and then select images. This one by Mike Lynch seemed purr-tinent:

All of the staff do care and the home is not too big (30 rooms), so it has a family feel. The cats and guinea pigs are of course a part of the family. Everyone works hard, but the carers probably have the toughest job, and the kitchen and laundry are especially hard work in the summer. Our residents have mostly devoted families and friends, who visit regularly, and, as part of the front-office team, I get to know them as I do their loved ones.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
I love this thread. Sadly quite a few of the regulars on here have Mum's with varying degrees of dementia so we know only too well what a horrible disease this is. It is good to hear about a care home where Staff actually care. ;D. I do like your little cartoons too.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
Cat-Phobic

Thank you for the Thierry link, Rosella. I read the thread all the way through and it gave me an uneasy feeling as if something had happened suddenly. It is more than about the one cat, although he is cute.

Yesterday, when I arrived at work and walked through the door to the forum, I could see Kizzie sitting under a table just inside the doorway. She often sits there as it has a table cloth and she thinks she cannot be seen, but I know it is her secret hiding place. From this position she can sit against a radiator and watch all the comings and goings. Little does she know that her little white feet give her position away! Anyway, she soon followed me into the office, while Tiggie remained on a chair in the area.

The same assistant unit manager (AUM for short) was working today and brought her Staffie in again. She said it was not fair to leave Roxie at home on her own all day, so, I am not certain, but I think her husband must normally look after the dog, but has gone on holiday. Both dog and owner followed me in, which slightly surprised the cats, but because Roxie is quiet and gentle, they were not as spooked as is the case with other dogs. At one point, the dog passed Tiggie on her chair and she just sat looking around wide-eyed. 

I asked the AUM if she ever took her dog onto the units, but she said she did not as Roxie has a tendency to jump up and her claws could damage the residents' thin skin (Paula's point). it seems a shame as Roxie is a dog version of Kizzie. She has perfected a technique of looking at you as if to say, 'Don't stop stroking me'. 

The cats were already fed, but I did give them cat milk when I had my cup of tea. Later in the afternoon, I gave them a bit more which finished the carton. I am glad about this as I am not working today. It shows that you can give two cats a milky treat for three days. Both cats followed their usual pattern: Kizzie tended to remain or follow me about, while Tiggie came in to the office for the occasional tickle.

We had a resident 'fall', mid-morning, and I could hear the AUM say, 'We are ladies and cannot lift you, so you have to try to stand up.' A hoist is a time consuming possibility, but sometimes he appears to sit on the floor, as if having fallen, and is able to stand if he chooses. The AUM told him to follow her (firm) instructions, including turning to put his hands on the chair arms. I helped to pull him up along with a male carer who had arrived, while the ladies pushed him up from behind. He then sat in the chair and evenually fell asleep. In his previous life, he had been a keen hill walker, even completing them for charities and would have been horrified at his own current behaviour. Dementia is a sad set of symptoms in that it can change people's personalities, so that there are just a few old fragments remaining.

Bubble and Squeak, the guinea pigs, needed their cages cleaning today and I prepared a selection of fresh vegetables for them. Sometimes, people walk past and think, 'Why is he making a stew?' Cleaning the hutches involves rolling up the wet newspaper at the bottom and gathering the stale bedding at the same time, and placing it in a black bin liner. They are then replaced with fresh paper and straw, all while the little guinea pigs are running about in the hutches. In the summer, we can put them in runs. The water is replaced, they are given fresh food and bingo they are set-up with clean bedding for about half the week. It is a messy and time-consuming job, but it gives the guinea pigs a new lease of life. 

Because we did not have a cleaner yesterday, I went around the units emptying the bins and replacing the sacks, just before midday, and while on one, Kizzie suddenly ran out from behind the residents' chairs and into the kitchenette where she stood as if asking me for food. Crafty little things that they are, they know they can scrounge food when the meals are brought up to the unit. She was too early as the food tends to appear at around 12:45pm and, in any case, she had already eaten. Regardless, both cats continued to badger me for for food, for an hour or two, until they relaxed again. Sometimes, I give them a few Go-cat biscuits as a distraction, although they can get remainders from their own cat bowl. The manager, not working yesterday, buys them expensive little Whiskas biscuits that look the same as Go-cat but are a treat.

Now, the earlier paragraph about the fallen resident has little to do with cats, except that one of the female carers involved is worthy of mention. She is a very elegant agency girl, from somewhere exotic, with a lovely name that sadly I shall have to keep to myself. I have thus far avoided using human names, because I do not want to offend the innocent. In my earliest blog, when I was in a different job, I changed the names, like those of Damon Runyon characters, and I may yet have to do this here. Just before going home, around 4:00pm, I took the food bowls into the staffroom to wash them and fill them, from the larder, with the cats' evening meal. They are then taken out and placed in a little alcove, with a bowl of water, further down the corridor. The cats tend to follow me into the staffrom and back out again. As we approached the entranceway, on the way in, the aformentioned lady was taking her break in the staffrom and became very agitated as I had forgotten she is cat phobic.

On an earlier excursion, she had remained in the corridor until we left, with me initially oblivious. When I asked her what was wrong, she said, 'It is the cats. I was attacked by a cat as child and I am frightened of them.' This time, I shut the door, and the cats out, until the bowls were ready. While it seems funny to me for someone to be afraid of cats, it is difficult to reassure her that they will not bite and scratch. Even lovely Kizzie can do so. She is probably the only cat-phobic person I have ever knowingly met.   

I am not working today and will miss the cats, along with my colleagues and the residents, but will be back with them tomorrow. Oh, and by the way, I did actually complete work amongst all this cleaning and feeding. I have perfected a technique of working with my right hand and stroking a cat with the left or vice versa. Not always easy as I am left handed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 15:28:22 PM by Cloveart, Reason: Today not toady! »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 06:55:17 AM »
I don't think English Bull terriers are ugly either.  :)  I love dogs with roman noses (and horses with roman noses too).  I agree - most of the "problems" with breeds like that are down to the owners, and it's best never to leave small children unsupervised with any animal, for both their sakes.

Our local Dog' rescue is full to the gunnels with staffies and staffie cross dogs, and scarcely any other breed.  Such a shame. 

I'd always viewed Sphynx cats with some degree of reticence, but I've got to admit, Thierry was just the best.   :) :)   He really helped to change a lot of us towards loving Sphynx cats.  :Luv: 

I don't think your love of cats is solely because they're fluffy, soft and warm.  After all, they come equipped with very efficient blades and teeth, and a whole different set of operating instructions to dogs.  :shify:

Trying to think this question through in terms of my own position, and speaking as someone who loves and has shared my life with dogs and cats, often at the same time, I'm attracted to very different things in both of them.

It's a little simplistic to say "dogs are easy and uncomplicated" because not all are, and we've had some traumatised dogs we've rehabilitated who were far from "easy" (although they were an absolute joy).  Likewise not all cats are complicated (or so I'm told  :evillaugh: ;)). 

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 23:32:43 PM »
I am very fond of Staffies, on the whole they get a bad press. It's always sad to watch the rescue programs and see how many Staffies they have  :(

The EBTs are usually quite comical - almost as if they want to make up for the fact that many people don't find them pretty!

I have never been interested in hairless cats but, like many here, made an exception for T Hairy. I miss him and his meowmy :'(

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 14:11:01 PM »
GRRRR! I thought I had got away with it when my girl cat Bob walked across the keyboard, but she turned off the wifi so I lost a nice long post! Cats! Who'd have them! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: The gist was.

I never liked sphinxes, but Thierry changed my mind, he is fantastic. :Luv2:

My friend Pat has two lovely PAT dogs, a beautiful gentle Whippet called Faye and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are very well received and looked forward to at several local Care Homes.

My main concern with bull terriers is not aggression to people, they make terrible guard dogs because they love everyone. That is why the police, security companies etc. don't use them, they use shepherd breeds because they are protective. The main problem is that they get over excited and they bounce! It isn't funny when 6+ stone of pure muscle plants their paws on your chest and knocks you over. Saying that I would never leave ANY breed of dog alone with a child or vulnerable adult.

I wonder if they have PAT cats too? Apart from in enlightened homes like yours. I suppose they must.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 09:03:43 AM »
 FUNNY COS WAS ONLY THINKING ABOUT T aIRYS MEOWMY YESTERDAY AND HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU ROSELLA, NEVER FANCIED A SPYNX BUT T AIRY SUCH A CHARACTER ESPECIALLY WITH HIS HATE OF COATS  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
Let me introduce you to Thierry.

With assistance from his ma, he used to post regularly but his ma became ill and we have not heard from him for some time.   He is a very sensible cat and a much loved member of Purrs.  Can't say that the spynx breed ever interested me before Thierry joined us but like many I became smitten  :blow kiss:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,45053.0.html

Am very much enjoying your posts  :)

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 06:54:01 AM »
Cats and Dogs

There are bad owners, rather than bad dogs. But, I must admit when I get close to this dog, I am still wary because their problems are also genetic. It is strange how the dog, that was bred for fighting, unsettles the cats far less than the others. It may be because it kept out of their way and is not boisterous. All the same, it is not what I would have expected.

As a side-note, am I attracted to animals because of their cute appearance? If the cats were not soft, warm and fluffy, would they lose their appeal? I am sure there are those on this sight who have furless cats, who could comment. Yorkshire terriers are small and look inoffensive, but they can be aggressive. Although I have never encountered a furless cat, it would probably still have appeal if it was affectionate.

As a rule, dogs are not allowed in the care home, but it is at the manager's discretion. Petting dogs are brought in periodically and some visitors bring in their dogs on the basis that they will behave. I have known visitors swear blind that their dog is calm and gentle, but when they appear they are far from being sensible. Ultimately, the residents are attracted by dogs whatever their temperament, but even this will only go so far.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 23:04:48 PM »
Ok, I am about to spit feathers, I love Bull Terriers, although mine was an English, which don't get such bad press, mostly because a) they are ugly, although not in my MHO, and b) because they are too expensive for most idiots to get hold of. I have never met a nasty Staffie, met a few that didn't like other dogs, they were bred to fight after all, but they are fantastic people dogs. The exception is when  :censored: idiots goad them into being nasty. There is no such thing as a bad dog. Only bad owners, unfortunately a lot of Ars**oles who should never be allowed near an animal have managed to acquire bull terrier because they think it makes them look hard and intimidating. They should be shot at birth. Scum. OK, I'll get back off my soapbox now and play nice again.

I am glad that the cat mlk is proving a success, even if it is with the wrong cat ;).

Pleased that the squees are comfy too. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 20:43:57 PM »

More Cat Milk Today

I do not work for the supermarket, but
this product comes recommended by Kizzie

Chatting is the idea of a forum in my view.

The lady who was a spitfire pilot told me this morning that she flew them for about fifteen years, after the war, in various countries around the world. The jet egines did not really take hold until about 1960.

We had sleet and then snow this morning and Kizzie spent most of the day in the office. I decided to give her one saucer full of cat milk and she loved it. Every time she saw something resembling a saucer, like my dinner plate, she thought it was more cat milk. Tiggie seemed a bit more enthusiastic about this type of milk today. One of the assistant unit managers took her dog into work today, a Staffordshire terrier, which she got from a rescue home only about eighteen months ago. She thinks the dog is about five to six years old and was probably abused. Although they look a bit scary and are not fluffy, she is a sweet little dog and likes lots of fuss. She, the dog, seemed unconcerned about the cats and they appeared unaware of her presence.

Saturday can be quiet and today was no exception, so I could give the cats, and the Staffie, plenty of attention.

The cats started to employ their following and staring technique in order to get an early tea from about 1:30pm. At one point, every time I turned round, there was Tiggie sitting behind me and staring up at me. Everywhere I went, Kizzie followed me. I held my resolve and fed them just before I went home at 4:00pm, which is still too early, but I would rather feed them than not.

During a lull, I fed the guinea pigs their quota of fresh veg. The weather made me feel I would not like to be a guinea pig, but they do have blinds on the hutches which are under a porch in the shelter of the main building.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 19:41:07 PM »
I think we just like chatting full stop! :naughty: We do enough of it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 14:31:33 PM »
Women may not have flown fighter planes in combat during the war but they did fly them.  ;D  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3072253/It-best-job-war-Female-Spitfire-pilot-92-takes-skies-70-years-flying-iconic-plane-aid-World-War-Two-effort.html

I used to use Tinypic if I wanted to embed pics in the text (rather than adding them all at the end) but started to have problems with it and at one point it seriously messed up my lappy so I don't go anywhere near it now.

I love that the care home has cats and that staff bring their pets to work.  ;D  When I was looking for somewhere for my mum to go for a couple of weeks respite care I found one with cats but unfortunately the room they had available wasn't suitable for someone in a wheelchair.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 18:55:37 PM by CarolM (Wendolene), Reason: to add the p to lanes to make planes DOH »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 13:53:56 PM »
Ah, dont talk to me about posting photos on phones and windows.   :evillaugh:  I used to use Tinypics too, and then began to experience regular problems with it.  Have tried using a system Rosella suggested, but I have an older phone than hers, and the function isn't there on my phone, not even under "settings" which is a shame.

As Gill says, we don't mind anyone posting twice,thrice or more - we just love chatting away about cats and stuff.   ;D

Am so pleased at least Kizzie liked the milk  ;D  It's really interesting to hear how the cats fit in with the residents (or not!) and how the residents react when children and dogs are around.  Anything which enriches their lives, and maybe sparks positive memories of their own has to be a good thing.  It's such an awful illness, because of the way it robs the individual and their families of their very essence.

Whether your lady was a WWII spitfire pilot or not (and there were some, though they generally flew aircraft from airfield to airfield) if she is in her mind, and it's a vivid memory, then good on her.  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
 YES  AND THAT WHY I TYPE IN CAPS COS ONLY WAY OF READING AS I TYPE LOL.

I HAVE LAPPY SET AT 150 ZOOM LOL BUT OTHER MAGNIFIER SYSTEMS ARE VERY OFF/ON.

SUDDENLY LAPPY DOES WHAT IT WANTS AND GRABS SOMETHING AND ENLRAGES IT OFF SCREEN..............BLOOMIN TECHNOLOGY  :rofl: :rofl:

YES I USED TO WORK WITH A BATTLE OF BRITAIN SPITFIRE PILOT BUT WOMEN PILOTS ARE WELL AFTER 60S AND MAYBE AFTER 70/80S. EQUALITY TO SOME DEGREE IN THIS COUNTRY IN AIRFORCE HAS TAKEN A LONG TIME.

I  ALSO SAW THE HANDWRITTEN BOOK WITH ALL THE DEATHS DURING BATTLE OF BRITAIN WHICH IS IN ARCHIVES NOW, TRUELY TERRIBLE AND VERY SAD.  STRETCHED ACROSS MANY PAGES.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
When you click reply you will get a load of stuff above the smilies, then font face and a little bar with 8pt and a down arrow, just click on that, I use 18pt, it'll look that you are typing normally between some bracketed words but it will show up on the post large enough for gill to read easily.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 06:45:43 AM »
No, she cannot be that old and Spitfires died out after the war with the introduction of jet engines. I need to ask her about this.

You should be able to magnify your pages even with older versions of Windows. For example, there are add-ons for the Firefox browser. Which operating system are you using?

Curses, now I've noticed you are using Windows 8. I'm using 10 which is easy to magnify. It might be worth giving this a try:

https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/windows-7-and-8-magnifying-the-screen/

I would make this font bigger for you, but I can see the setting and it doesn't appear to increase the size.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:57:34 AM by Cloveart, Reason: Added bit about magnification »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 22:51:59 PM »
 WE DONT FROWN ON DOUBLE POSTS, INFACT WE ARE TOLLERANT OF MOSTTHINGS EXCEPT  RUDE AND ABUSIVE PEOPLE.

PLEASE NOTE I DONT TYPE WELL COS DROPPED COMPLAN ON LAPPY 3 WEEKS AGO! TYPE IN CAPS COS DONT SEE WELL JUST IN CASE YOU WONDERING.  :evillaugh:

I LOVE HEARING ABOUT THE RESIDENTS AND THE CATS AND A LADY FIGHTER PILOT WOW.

SURELY SHR CANT BE THAT OLD BECAUSE I WAS IN WRAF IN 60S AND NONE THEN.

IT WILL BE GREAT TO SEE PICS OF THE CATS.

DONT MENTION WIN 10 GRRRRRRRRRRRR, I REFUSE TO HAVE IT AND WISH I HAD WIN 8 RATHER THAN 8.1 WHICH I HATE WITH VENGENCE BUT OLD LAPPY WENT DOWN JUST AFTER DELL HAD STOPPED WIN 8.

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 20:45:55 PM »
I remembered this point and was going to write and post it tomorrow, but changed my mind, which explains the double post (much frowned upon in some forums).

On the subject of Sue P's observation about the number of cats in care homes, a photocopier repair man who called recently was fascinated by Kizzie in the in-tray and told me that, while he visited many care homes, he had never seen any cats in any of the other homes. Some prospective relatives, who were shown around today, asked me, 'Whose cats are they?' I would be fascinated to hear from anyone else here who works in a care home or nursing home with cats. Or, even a different type of workplace with cats. If my memory serves me correctly, it turned out that the repairman had several cats of his own, including one with three legs. In answer to the lady's question, 'They are here for the residents'. I was careful not to tell her that they spend a lot of time in the office with me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 15:26:22 PM by Cloveart, Reason: Whose not who apostrophe s »

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 20:31:59 PM »
^ Thank you for the positive comments.

Our residents are only allowed in the home if they have been diagnosed with advanced dementia. There are a couple of residents, who lived in the home when it was for elderly people and do not have dementia, but who elected to stay with the newer arrangement. A spectrum of behaviours can be displayed, from those who seem pretty good to those who can be very bewildered. A number of residents can remember the names of the cats, and there is one who says she is allergic to cats but cannot resist them (like myself), except that she does resist them. We also have a number who have had a lifetime of living with pets and whose families encourage them to pet the cats, but who, when left to their own devices, do not pay much attention to the cats. The crux of the matter really is that many of those with dementia, despite a lifetime with animals, do not have the memory to relate to them in any depth. What they can do is feel 'homely' because the animals are around as they would have been in their 'own' (previous) homes.

We have a recent lady resident, who astonishingly was a fighter pilot, and still has enough enduring interest in cats to seek out their company. At first, they were a bit wary and Tiggy bit or scratched her, but they are getting used to her now. At one point in the day, today, she was putting her face close to Tiggy and the deputy manager was worried in case she got bitten, although she was okay . . . this time. Both cats will sit on the settee or a comfy chair next to this lady, if not on her lap. Crafty little things that they are, the moggies will follow the visitors who encourage their loved one to pet them. 

One of the residents, who does not have dementia, will tap a chair leg with his stick to drive away a cat esconced on his chair, although the same cat will sit with him in the 'quiet room' - a  little sitting room, like one in a house. When petting dogs, or visitors' dogs, are brought in he will stroke them. This morning the residents had a coffee morning in the forum and a young cleaner briefly brought in her little three-year-old daughter. Many of the residents were entranced by her presence. So, although they can be indifferent to the home cats, they come alive with dogs and small children!

First thing this morning, there was no sign of the cats as one of the night staff had brought in her dog, a gentle black labrador. Eventually, Tiggie could be spotted behind the settees in the forum and later Kizzie came running into the office, wide eyed and looking over her shoulder, as if being chased. She jumped up onto the worktop and sat between the monitor and keyboard. After a bit of fuss, she settled down in the intray, which is covered in a towel for her comfort. Nevertheless, she kept staring at the doorway as if there was something out there. There was nothing at all and the dog had long since gone home, so whether there was something else or it was a continued reaction I am not sure. With more tickling and stroking she settled and stayed for most of the day. If I left the office, she either slept or followed me.  By the time I went home, she was on one of the comfy chairs between the units.   

On seeing Tiggy, the real milk lover, first, I gave her a saucer of cat milk, but she could take it or leave it and left some behind. Later I gave some to Kizzie, who can take or leave real milk, and she absolutely loved it, to the extent that she got through three saucer fulls. She continued to lap as if she was going to lick the white off the saucer, but I decided I would give her more later. Another member of staff fed the cats their favourite fish-flavoured Whiskas and Go-Cat biscuits, in the afternoon, so I decided they would not need any more milk. It is in the fridge for tomorrow.     

I have photocopied the staff board photos of the cats and will eventually scan them, upload them to a hosting site and post them here. This may take a while, as TincPics, an image hosting site, won't let me back in. It would be quicker if I could upload pictures from my phone with Samsung Keys, but the software has not worked since I switched to a computer with Windows 10. Life is complicated, unless you are a cat.     

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »
 SUE SO RIGHT ABOUT CATS VOTING WITH THEIR FEET AND HAD A NUMBER OF VISITORS IN LONDON WHO WANTED TO STAY BUT MY CAT KOCKA HATED OTHER CATS AND AFTER VOTING WITH HER FEET WAS NOT ABOUT TO DO SO AGAIN!                                                    S

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 07:00:57 AM »
Ooooo we love ramblings on here - it's what we do a lot of!  :wow:

It's such a forward thinking move to have cats (or PAT Dogs or budgies) in care homes, and so few would actually consider it, so well done to the place where you work.  If I had to go into a Home, and couldn't have a cat of my own, it would be so lovely to know you can still share your life with a cat or cats, and Kizzie and Tiggie fit the bill perfectly.   :) [well, if the residents live in the office  :evillaugh:]

It's great that they gravitate to you - cats know instinctively who they like and who they don't, and they wouldn't grace you with their presence if they weren't really fond of you. 

The public at large often don't get that about cats - they'll say "Oh it's only cupboard love...." but for a cat, it's much more than that.  Anyone can open a pouch.  But if that pouch is opened with love, dishes are washed with care and special milk is brought - well.   :Luv: :hug: :hug:  I find that cats are more than capable of voting with their feet if they don't like their lot in life.  :evillaugh:  They are crafty too - I'll give them that.   :rofl:

I can't wait to hear how the milk experiment goes.   :)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 00:00:38 AM »
Hey, ramble away, we do it all the time. Lovely to get some background. I had to rehome a couple of budgies a few years ago and they went to a local care home with an indoor aviary in a conservatory for the residents pleasure, animals and elderly people make for good companions. ;D.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 23:04:20 PM »
THANK YOU, ITS REALLY INTERESTING TO NOT ONLY HEAR ABOUT THE CATS BUT ALSO THE HOME.

MANY HAVE ELDERLY MOTHERS SO RIGHT NOW ITS A BIG TOPIC ON PURRS.

CATS AS YOU KNOW HAVE AN IN BUILT CRAFTYNESS AND KNOW EXACTLY WHICH SIDE THEIR BREAD IS BUTTERED AND SOUNDS LIKE THEY HAVE YOU WELL UNDER  THEIR PAWS  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

ALSO SOUNDS LIKE YOU DO A GREAT JOB WITH THEM  ;D ;D

ONE THING THOUGH   :shify: :shify:  :rofl:

:need pics:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 22:45:56 PM »
Thanks for telling us the cats' story. You needn't have worried about hijacking the newbie forum though  ;D

It sounds like a lovely care home. I dread ending my days somewhere without cats  :(

Offline Cloveart

• Senior Cat
The Office Cats
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 20:25:05 PM »
I have started a thread on The Office Cats here in the Cats' Stories sub-forum, because I began to feel that I was hijacking the Newbies' section with my comments. I should point out at this stage that the office cats are not really office cats, but care home cats as I work in a care home. Before anyone throws their hands up in horror at the thought of me as a carer, I do not work in this difficult role but as part of the admin team in support of the managers. There is an overlap as I have quite a lot of contact with both carers and residents. I joined the home in May 2016 after a couple of other careers, so I have only been there for about nine months.

Recently, the home had new flooring, curtains and paintwork, and in order to make the place more homely, pictures were hung on the walls and sideboards purchased for the units. The crowning glory was a fireplace, in the main area (known as the forum), created by some of the staff, complete with a real surround, fire effect heater and coal scuttle. My feeling is that the cats were bought sixteeen years ago also as part of making the home a real home, and the manager at the time succeeded. In short, the cats are for the benefit of the residents.

Now, the cats do not understand the above theory. If it is comfy, peaceful and where one gets spoilt, the cats head for the office. My immediate predecessors did not encourge them into the office, and I understand that one them complained to the manager to no avail. However, I cannot resist them and my saving grace is the manager, who is a cat lover, and her deputy also tolerates them. The subject of anti-cat staff would make another post and I will come back to it later. Some staff incorrectly believe that I am in charge of feeding the animals, but I do so after the kitties came to the office and pestered me to feed them. After all, they do need feeding and are done so as part of a rota attached to the larder in the staffroom. Care homes are open 24/7 and when I am not at work, others are doing their shift. It is just that the crafty little creatures now expect me to feed them all the time. They probably like me doing it as I also wash the bowls and renew the water, as well as giving them their fishy favourites like Tuna and Salmon - pouches not fresh. Occasionally on Fridays, they do get fish from the kitchen.

The cats do not always spend time in the office, but sometimes sleep on top of the radiators, beneath the windows (often in full sun), in the forum. This way they can see everything that goes on outside, including the neighbours' cats. They will head for the area between the units where comfy upholstered armchairs were bought to help the residents feel at home. Someone helpfully placed covers on the seat cushions so that the cats can sit on a chair next to a resident.

This afternoon I bought some special cat milk in Waitrose, who are surprisingly good for obtaining cat products. I will probably post on this tomorrow when I return to work and can test the milk on Tiggie. While out, I also bought Susan Finden's Casper the Community Cat book in a charity shop, which I have hitherto resisted as I know the ending. James Bowens' Street Cat Called Bob books are compulsive, so I relinquished. Apologies if these jottings ramble on, but I wrote them straight out for quickness. If there is anything missing, it is because I hit the wrong part of the mouse pad and lost the first more considered version. I have learnt my lesson and this was drafted in Notepad++, a plain text editor, and then cut and pasted.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 20:30:34 PM by Cloveart, Reason: To put armchairs in the plural »

Link to CatChat