Author Topic: Tabby not well  (Read 18341 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Tabby not well
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
 SO VERY SORRY HEATHER BUT YOU DID EVERYTHING YOU COULD FOR HER, SHE HAD A GREAT LONG LIFE WITH YOU  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »
heather I'm truly sorry to hear this, she had a wonderful life though  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
RIP my lovely Tabby
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
had a phone call this morning from my vet, Tabby was comfortable on her drip last night but sadly this morning when they got there she had "gone to sleep".  Absolutely heartbroken but knew it was her time. Going to miss her little character so much but she is running up there now over the Rainbow with her 2 friends Bill and Bessie who she lived at the stables with when she was younger who sadly never made it to a great age like Tabby did :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2017, 17:31:58 PM »
Thank you :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2017, 16:03:38 PM »
SO SORRY TO READ ALL OF THIS AND SENDING GENTLE STROKES TO TABBY AND BIG  :hug: :hug: :hug:  TO YOU.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2017, 15:15:43 PM »
Thinking of you both, Heather.  Sending gentle hugs.   :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2017, 15:11:04 PM »
Tabby is back at the vets on a drip now, she looked in her mouth and her tongue is very sore around the edges, could be due to kidney failure or licking something she shouldnt have, but I doubt it. Will wait for her blood results tomorrow and see how she is and decide what to do next. :(

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2017, 22:39:21 PM »
 :care: :care: :care: to you both.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2017, 17:42:51 PM »
Tabby is not eating today, has been drinking quite a bit, but making gulping sounds as well. Really not herself. :(  I wonder if she has a sore throat? She seems to go up and down, a few months ago she was like this, and after a couple of days on a drip she picked up again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2017, 19:04:15 PM »
 :hug:  Very glad you're home together

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2017, 13:05:26 PM »
I would have tried to bite the vet too if she had nicked me with clippers. I am so glad that she is brighter today. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
I rang the vet this morning for advice and they said to bring Tabby in as they had a slot at 1130. She did seems brighter this morning and not so wobbly and also ate some whiskas!  OUr lovely vet examined Tabby saw her walk around the surgery and said I can see what you mean, but she def was better than yesterday. She spent ages lifting up her back legs and said she thinks its some sort of nerve problem as when she held her leg back, she didnt move it back into position so she said she prob couldnt feel it. She was worried it may be a blood clot but said she had a pulse there, which was good. She is also very dehydrated and is now down from 2.02 to 1.8. She also said she still not sure if she has bladder neck tumour or not, but as she is weeing ok at the mo not too concerned. So Tabby had some more intravenous fluids, including some potassium to hydrate her and also a blood test to check her thyroid as well as everything else. Poor Tabby's neck is so skinny her veins are tiny and the clippers nicked her skin so she had to have the graze glued. She wasn't impressed and tried to bite the vet and hissed at her :evillaugh: She is  now home, eating some whiskas slowly, so just got to wait for blood results now next Tuesday. :scared:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:36:44 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2017, 18:21:08 PM »
It is heartbreaking, my Trouble was only nearly 18 but the vet looked at him, said we can keep him going for longer, but it would have meant a lot of blood tests, pills etc. and when I asked her what she thought she said he was old and tired and she thought the kindest thing would be to let him go. It did really break my heart, but it was the right thing to do. I held him while he went to sleep, although she offered to take him out back to do it. I had him from birth and he knew he was loved right up until his death.

I don't know if it helps or not, I could have prolonged his life, but it would have been for me not for him. Only you can make that decision. I feel for you. :care: :care: :care:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2017, 18:20:34 PM »
We know.   :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2017, 18:08:01 PM »
she has been in the tray and done another little wee and now sitting on my bed purring next to the radiator. Have tried to tempt her with some more food. She has a hot water bottle under her and seems okay at the moment. I just wish she was 10 years younger :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2017, 17:45:37 PM »
OH HEATHER IT IS HEART BREAKING  :hug: :hug: :hug:

ITS A GREAT AGE BUT ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT IS BEST.

LOOK IN HER EYES AND AND SEE WHAT SHE TELLS YOU  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2017, 17:45:22 PM »
Oh Heather.  I empathise.   :'(

I know when Paddy was in his last few months I felt I would let him set the pace.  With hindsight, I was wrong.  I can see now when I should've let go.  As a result, I caused his end to be a rather more painful process than I would have wanted, with the wisdom of hindsight.    It wasn't deliberate.  Just ill-thought out. 

I know how agonising it is to have to make the ultimate decision, and I hope that whatever your heart decides, Tabby has a peaceful end to her life.   :care:  Thinking of you both. 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2017, 17:18:46 PM »
Tabby has been doing really well but 2 days ago she stopped eating as much, just nibbling here and there. Today when I got home from work she jumped off my bed but her back legs were really wobbly, she went in her tray and strained to wee, nothing came out, but she managed to do a tiny nugget of poo then  walked across my room and lay down flat out.  I lifted her up and she walked back into my room still wobbly. I left her for half an hour and went back and she had done another tiny nugget of poo and a tiny wee. But I am worried about her being really wobbly, I know its a sign of kidney failure, and she is like a tiny little featherweight now. I don't really want to take her to the vet and have her stressed, but will see how she is in the morning. I know her time is nearly up, she will be 22 this year, but am I doing the right thing???? :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
BRIILIANT BRIILIANT  ;D ;D ;D

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
Just had a phone call from the vet, Silvie's thyroid blood tests have come back normal. So that's it, no more blood tests, all looking like she is cured :wow: :wow:.
Now, Misa, it's your turn :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2017, 22:40:21 PM »
 YES MISAS SHOT UP BY THE TIME HE GOT TO LANGFORD.

ITS SO GOOD TO HEAR HOW WELL SYLVIE HAS  GOT ON AND GIVES ME HOPE  ;D ;D ;D

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2017, 20:32:28 PM »
yes she has put on a lot of weight, looks really good now, nice thick fur too. The vet I saw tonight who hasn't seen her since she had her RI treatment, said how well she looked. Just a shame she couldn't get any blood out of her :evillaugh:

Thyroid problems can be very hard to spot, because Silvie had lost weight she had her thyroid tested in June and it was normal. Had a retest end of October and it was sky high! I only had her retested as she was eating a lot but not really putting on weight. Even my vet was surprised how quickly it had shot up!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 20:34:00 PM by heather sullivan »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2017, 20:16:30 PM »
 SO SILVIE HAS PUT ON OVER A KG SINCE TREATMENT IN 8 MONTHS, SOUNDS GOOD GOING  ;D

WOW IF MISA COULD DO THAT HE WOULD BE 5.5 KGS BY LATE SUMMER AND HIS FUR SHOULD ALSO LOOK BETTER I RECKON.  ALSO MAYBE GROW QUICKER COS THIS SUMMER WHEN CUTTING OUT HIS MATTS THE FUR JUST WSNTGROWING AND COULDNT UNDERSTAND WHY.  HE WAS ALSO MATTINGUP AGAIN VERY QUICKLY............IF ONLY I HAD REALIZED HE WAS ILL SOONER.  :(

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2017, 20:07:02 PM »
Silvie had her RI treatment end of May 2016 - I can't remember what she weighed, I think it was around 3.5 or thereabouts. She has def put on a lot of weight now! I know she was light when I picked her up, now she is heavy - and a little porker!  yes I am hoping Tabby's racing heart was due to being a bit scared, hoping the thyroid meds start working soon! With all the carry on with the blood taking, I forgot to reorder Tabby's Semintra, will have to ring them tomorrow. Also had to drive over to their other surgery to pick up the antibiotics for Tabby - as even though same ingredients she won't take the ones from my vet surgery, fussy little madam! :innocent:

Thank you for all the good wishes for Tabby :Luv:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 20:08:03 PM by heather sullivan »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2017, 19:57:24 PM »
they couldnt get blood from misas neck either BUT DIDNT TRY BOTH SIDES, JUST ABOUT GOT ENOUGH FROM HIS LEG BUT WAS TOUCH AND GO.

HOW LONG AGO WAS SYLVIE TREATED AND WHAT WAS HER WEIGHT THEN AND NORMALLY?

POOY TABBY, IT IS SO SAD WHEN ONE OF YOUR BEST FRIENDS IS NOT DOING THAT WELL  :hug: :hug:

I DONT THINK SYLIVE WOULD THANK YOU FOR A SNOOD  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

THE OTHER THING IS IF THEY ARE SCARED THEIR HEARTS  RACE AND MISA AND SASA ALWAYS HAVE RACING HEARTS AT VETS, I DONT THINK IN 12 YEARS ITS EVER BEEN ANY DIFFERENT.

SENDING LOTS OF GOOD VIBES FOR TABBY AND CUDDLES TO BOTH

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2017, 19:36:04 PM »
Silvie is avoiding me at the moment giving me dirty looks and running away.  Def needs a little snood to keep her warm now poor little chicken neck :naughty:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=oFG9Q790&id=8F3BB6B8651EED094F22CCDE821B5901DEE93D03&q=cat+snood&simid=608022462559421704&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0
 :Crazy: :) :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 19:37:36 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2017, 19:15:17 PM »
How worrying for you :hug: :hug: :hug:, Tabby has a while to go yet for the gel to take effect, as for poor Sylvie's neck, I believe the 'snood' in back in fashion.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2017, 19:11:36 PM »
back from the vets now, Tabby has lost more weight (I thought she felt a bit heavier) she now weighs 2.13. It was a different vet and said last time she weighed around 2.20. Also said her heart was very very fast. I said that Tabby is now on the thyroid ear gel and she said it can take 3 weeks to work and she has only been on it 10 days. I know thyroid probs can cause racing heart and weight loss. I said she is eating well at the moment, has had 2 pks of whiskas cat soup today (I have to pick all the lumps of meat out first).  So hoping its the thyroid causing the weight loss. She also said her bladder neck still felt lumpy and could be a growth - or inflammation and also that her kidneys felt really small. Poor Tabby! But she had some more fluids under the skin and is on another course of antibiotics for 3 weeks in case its infection and see how she goes. She came home and ate another 1/2 sachet of cat soup!

Silvie went for her blood test for the thyroid - poor puss had her neck shaved one side and the vet couldn't get any blood out. She then shaved the other side of her neck - still couldn't get the vein to give blood. After another go they thought they would try and get it out of her leg, so she had her leg shaved as well. They then managed to get enough blood out of her leg. I said poor Silvie will need a scarf now she got a baldy neck in this weather. On the plus side she has put on weight since September, then she weighed 4.20 and now she weighs 4.83. She also got bit of an eye infection and a watery discharge so got some eye cream for that.  Will hopefully get thyroid results next week.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Sending lots and lots of positive vibes for tonight Heather. 

Isn't that just a perfect way to be woken?   ;D   Barley came for her snuggles this morning, and similarly sat on Daddy P's head.   :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2017, 23:08:49 PM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW SWEET TABBY IS  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2017, 21:05:16 PM »
She seems okay, still eating soupy cat food and doing normal (small) poos.  Her and Silvie are off to vets tomorrow at 5pm, Silvie for her blood test for thyroid and also she has a watery eye and Tabby for a check up.  Tabby woke me up at 3am sitting on my pillow purring :innocent:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »
How is Tabby today, Heather? 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2017, 19:48:49 PM »
I will speak to my vet Friday when I take Silvie in, and see what she says. Probably will say bring her in, kerching :( :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2017, 19:45:44 PM »
 IS IT WORTH GETTING YOUR VET TO CHECK HER BLOOD PRESSURE AND GETTING TNOSE MEDS FOR HER.......THEY ARE A TINYTAB AND KOCKA WHO HAD DETACHING RETINAS HAD A QUARTER OF ONE CRUSHED IN AD DIET EATEN OFF MY FINGER.

CATS MANAGE VERY WELL WHEN BLIND AS LONG AS YOU DONT MOVE STUFF AROUND AND ALSO DO NOT SUDDENLY TOUCH THEM, TAP ON FLOOR FIRST COS THEY CAN FEEL THE VIBRATION.

SENDING HER GENTLE STROKES  :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2017, 19:34:40 PM »
Tabby still eating but just cat soup, lots of gravy squished out of the felix packets and she did eat a bit of gourmet last night, but made a mess trying to eat it on my carpet :P  I have a horrible feeling now that her eyesight has nearly gone as she was walking around my landing last night and kept bumping into things.  SHe can still find her way up and down from my bed and her litter tray, water and food so hoping she has a bit of sight left. just worried where she has been off her thyroid meds her blood pressure has gone up which can cause blindness.  I am putting the thyroid gel in her ears twice a day so hopefully it will help. But she is still a happy purring little cat at the moment. I also ordered some Complivit which arrived today so will mix that in with her gravy dishes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 19:35:39 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2017, 21:23:24 PM »
GREAT NEWS HEATHER HAVE FINGERS CROSSED :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2017, 19:49:28 PM »
GREAT NEWS AND HOPING THIS CONTINUES  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2017, 18:41:11 PM »
i put the gel in her ear this morning, and she seemed fine. Today she has eaten quite a lot, so fingers crossed!! :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2017, 02:26:44 AM »
I SUSPECT SHE WILL NOT KNOW OF IT AND TRIED TO FIND OUT IF LANGFORD DID BUT THEY DIDNT/WOULDNT SAY..SHOULD HAVE PRESSED BUT TOO STRESSED

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2017, 23:15:46 PM »
I am going to put the gel in her ear tomorrow, just in case she has a reaction tonight, think she has been through enough today with vet trip, fluids, steriods, antibiotics etc.  She has been chomping on some biscuits when i went up to see her just now, and happy so thats good. She does get itching with the Felimazole too, but will see how she goes.  The steroid always seems to give her a boost for a day or so. My vet never mentioned the one you had for Misa, Gill, but I will mention it next week when I go, just to see if she has used it before. Will be interesting. She is very nice, doesn't seem to want to rush you out like some vets do either :)

Link to CatChat