Author Topic: Tabby not well  (Read 18521 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Tabby not well
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2017, 22:00:58 PM »
VERY DIFFICULY WITH MEDS AND THE ONLY THING I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE GEL IS TO WATCH OUT FOR ITCHING AND INFLAMMATION.

THE ONLY OTHER ONE IS THE ONE MISA WAS ON.......THYRONORM WHICH IS A LIQUID AND WOULD GO IN THE SOUP.

IT IS THE LIQUID VERSION OF FEMIAZOLE SP? WHICH HAS 3 NAMES FOR SAME PRODUCT .

I PUT IT IN THE GRAVY FROM MONS PETIT WITH ALL LUMPS TAKEN OUT. YOU NEED TO PUT IT IN A SMALL AMOUNT OF YOUR SOUP THAT SHE LIKES TO MAKE SURE ALL LICKED UP THEN ADD THE REST OF LIQUID OF THE  SOUP. IT HAS A HONEY FLAVOUR IN IT WHICH MISA LOVED.

WHAT EVER THE DOSEAGE OF MEDS SHE WAS GETTING BEFORE IF FEMIAZOLE YOU WOULD GIVE THE SAME AMOUNT.

IY COMES IN A SPECIAL BOTTLE THAT YOU INSERT THE ACCOMPANYING SYRINGE INTO AND THEN IT HAS FRADUATED SECTIONS SOYOU GET THE RIGHT DOSAGE.

WE STARTED MISA OFF AT A HALF THE BASIC DOSAGE AND BUILT IT UP BUT NEVER GOT HIS HYPER T FULLUUNDER CONTROL BECAUSE I GOT ILL.

I SPOKE TO THE VET AT THE COMPANY AND ALTHOUGH IT SAYS NOT, IT IS PERFECTLY OK TO PUT IT IN GRAVY OR SOUP IN TABBYS CASE.

THE 30ML BOTTLE WAS OUT OF STOCK AT END OF NOV BUT CONTRARY TO WHAT REPS WERE SAYING THE 100ML BOTTLE WAS AVAILABLE.

IF I COULD GET OUT I WOULD SEND YOU MISAS GRRRRRRRRR

MY VET HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE COS ITS VERY NEW,

IN THE STATES ITS NOT AVAIABLE BUT THEIR PHARMACYS MAKE A LIQUID VERSION THEMSELVES BY CRUSHING UP FEMIAZOLE ADDING LIQUID AND ADDING LCHICKEN OR FISH FLAVOUR.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2017, 19:55:55 PM »
For weight gain and maintenance for my oldies we use Complivit - 1 pump is equal to a 4kg cats full days calories and it can be pumped straight in their mouth for the one pump my oldies are on 2 a day each as it does get cold up here and both look well on it - we pay about £15.00 a bottle pump of it and it kept some of my ill ones alive for longer than the vets expected it looks like Bovril - mixes well in the soup stuff :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2017, 18:46:50 PM »
She is a very small cat anyway, but yes I am hoping if her thyroid can get medicated again she will put on weight.  I cleared the shelf in Sainsbury's today of all their cat soups as they were on special offer at 60p :naughty: Just bit worried about starting her on the thyroid gel, I don't like starting new meds (prob being a medical secretary for years doesn't help ;D)!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2017, 18:41:11 PM »
I HOPE THATSHE CAN PUT ON A BIT OF WEIGHT COS THAT IS ABOUT HOW MUCH DUCHA WEIGHED BUT HE ONLY HAD 3 LEGS.

GOOD NEWS ABOUT HER BLADDER AND HOPE THAT SHE CAN START EATING AGAIN  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2017, 18:19:51 PM »
Back to the vets tonight for Tabby's check up.  She has been eating the cat soups, well I have to squeeze all the liquid out of the packets which she laps up and the other 2 cats get the lumps of chicken and tuna.  She had another bag of subcutaneous fluids, and another steroid injection and also vet said her bladder neck didn't feel quite so lumpy this week, which is good news, so hoping it was inflammation and not a tumour there.  She is on another course of antibiotics for a week, had to drive to their sister vet surgery to get the ones she will eat (Clavaseptin), as she has been hard work trying to get Noroclav down her. I also asked about the thyroid pills, and we are trying her on the ear gel, as easier to do that than get pills down her. She weighed her again and she is 2.2.  At Christmas she weighed 2.7 but where she hasn't been eating and not taking her thyroid pills she said that is to be expected. She also looked in her mouth, picked a big lump of tartar off one tooth and said a bottom one looks a bit sore, but she hasn't many teeth left. So we will see how she goes for the next week. My poor bank account :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 00:45:32 AM »
MY ELDERLY KOCKA LIVED ON AD DIET FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS AND I USED TO FEED HER FROM MY FINGER, EVENTUALLY A SPOON BUT HAD TO CRAWL AROUND THE FLOOR AFTER HER AND IT WOULD KEEP IN THE FRIDGE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS.

IT WAS A REAL EFFORT DOING THIS EVERY DAY AND SHE WOULD HAVE A COUPLE OF LICKS AND MOVE AWAY, I FOLLOWED AND OVER A DAY WOULD BE VERY HAPPY IF I GOT 1/2 TIN INTO HER.

I ALSO USED TO LEAVE DOWN OTHER FOODS AND SOMETIMES SHE WOULD EAT THE JELLY PARTS OF TINS OF WHISKERS, CANT REMEMBER WHICH FLAVOUR NOW.

SHE WAS A LIGHTWEIGHT AND PROBABLY HAD HYPER T AND KIDNEY PROBS BUT I DIDNTKNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT IN THOSE DAYS.

SHE ALSO HAD BLOOD PRESSURE TABS WHICH WERE VERY TINY AND USED TO MASH AND INCLUDE IN AD ON FINGER IN MINI BITS, COS SHE HAD DETACHING RETINAS.

DUCHA MY OTHER FEATHER WEIGHT USED TO EAT THE OCEAN FISH PATE WATERED DOWN.

WHAT WE DO FOR THOSE WE LOVE AND HAVE LOVED FOR SO LONG IS HARD AND PAINSTKING AND WITH HINDSIGHT AND MORE KNOWLEDGE AND AS MEDICAL PROCEDURES CHANGE WE WISH AND WISH WE HAD THE KNOWLEDGE BEFORE.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2017, 21:22:02 PM »
Yes its a tin of A/D by Hills.  I got a tin from the vet last week but she turned her nose up! £2.49 as well >:(

Typical!  :(

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2017, 20:55:54 PM »
Yes its a tin of A/D by Hills.  I got a tin from the vet last week but she turned her nose up! £2.49 as well >:(

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2017, 20:52:33 PM »
I remember when my Chivvy was recovering from his broken jaw, the vet gave me a tin of stuff that got more liquid when it was stirred. I used to stir it until it was the consistency I wanted - very runny at first but gradually getting thicker. Have you asked your vet for advice?

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 19:17:19 PM »
yes i did try the pate and water last week but she didn't want to know. Now she seems a bit interested I will try it again. have just ordered some whiskas creamy food soup as well for tomorrow, she may like the sauce in that. She used to be such a good eater, at least 3 sachets a day, now she is all shrivelled up :(  but now she is eating soupy bits hopefully she will fill out again. ALso need to get the thyroid pills in her. It's a full time job looking after geriatric/poorly cats! :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 18:51:00 PM »
I USED TO ADD WATER TO THE SMOOTH PATES AND THEN THEY CAN LAP IT UP.

MAY HELP TO ADD WARM WATER IF COLD DOESNT WORK.

I THINK ITS UMMMMMMMMM GEEZ CANT REMMEBR THE MAKE BUT OCEAN FISH ALWAYS WENT DOWN WELL WITH YT LATE DUCHA.

ITS A SMOOTH ONE COS NOT ALL ARE AND SOLD IN TESCOS

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2017, 18:35:58 PM »
Will she eat pate type food Heather?  You could try mashing it up with a little water or some of the "soup" meals.  Poor little lamb chop.  She must be feeling quite fed up.  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2017, 17:48:24 PM »
Tabby is lapping up the juice out of the little cat soups but def a problem in her mouth. We are back to the vets Monday night for a check up.  Will ask nice vet to check her mouth while i am there. She didn't want to do it last week, she was more concerned in saying her bladder neck felt lumpy but hoping thats just inflammation. She is doing pretty big wees at the moment so don't think too much cause for concern. One of my friends is a retired surgeon and he said if she has had UTI's then it prob is inflammation and not a tumour. Poor Tabby still not happy taking her meds, so I have been squishing it up still and smearing it round her mouth, she is not impressed, the look she gave me was :censored: :evillaugh: Thanks Tiggy's mum for the Royal Canin kitty crack but I don't think she will eat biscuits at the moment.......... the ones I have for her she has not touched.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 17:50:24 PM by heather sullivan »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2017, 06:54:00 AM »
Sending tons of love for Tabby, heather, and hoping that you can get her mouth checked out to find out what may be causing her discomfort.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2017, 21:36:19 PM »
Sorry to hear Tabby is feeling poorly  :hug: It may be that biscuits are too sore for her mouth at the moment so perhaps they could be softened with water but I can highly recommend Royal Canin Exigent Savour Sensation 35/30 (there's a few different types but the 35/30 is like kitty crack) they were literally a life saver for Riley when he had his mystery hunger strike and refused EVERY food, human and cat food alike, but was more than happy to eat this. You can buy the small bags in places like Jollyes and Pets at Home, if she takes to it the bigger bags are much cheaper from Zooplus/Amazon.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2017, 19:32:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that your girl is still given cause for concern  :( Sending gentle snoozles for Tabby and  :hug: for you.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2017, 19:17:36 PM »
Tabby has eaten another lick e lix this afternoon, she wasn't impressed this morning when I crushed up her antibiotic and mixed it with a thyroid pill with a dollop of Canigest and then smeared it all round her mouth :( But she ate the lick e lix and then lapped another spoonful of a cat soup, i had to squeeze the soup out of pk and leave the lumpy bits behind. She can't eat anything lumpy I am sure her mouth is sore, will get vet to check her again next Monday when we go back (if not before). SHe is drinking a lot of water so hopefully keep herself hydrated.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2017, 15:59:23 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and to Tabby, I hope she is eating today. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2017, 13:38:40 PM »
I think all of us would give good money to be able to have a conversation with our cats where they told us what was wrong and how they're feeling.   :hug: :hug:  Sending more gentle snoozles for Tabby and hoping you can get some food inside her. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 21:07:42 PM »
YES I SO AGREE WITH YOU AND PLEASE GIVE HER GENTLE STROKE FROM ME  :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 20:14:47 PM »
It's  horrible when they get old and start getting problems, she has been such a healthy cat up till the last few months. I know at her age (nearly 22) she has done well but I wish they could talk and find out how they feel and what is wrong. :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 19:56:15 PM »
SUCH A WORRY HEATHER , I HOPE SHE WILL BE OK  :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2017, 18:33:15 PM »
She didnt eat anything overnight but hopped up and down off my bed to have a drink and use her tray for a widdle (fell off a few times even though she has some pillows on the floor as a step) :innocent:. this morning she ate a lick e lix but when i put her pill in some she refused. Ended up smearing it on her leg, i think she licked most of it off, although I may find a lump when I get into bed tonight!  Just got home and stopped off to get some of the cat soups, i am running out of ideas. But she looked quite interested and licked all the soupy sauce and left the lumps of tuna/shrimp. Her mouth seems quite sore. I know they can get mouth ulcers with kidney disease, but she also has some bad teeth. But at least she has got a good amount of fish soupy sauce down, well its prob about a desert spoonful.  I expect she will refuse her meds again tonight. Have bought another tube of Canigest so may crush up her pill put it in a dollop of that and smear that on her leg............
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 18:34:10 PM by heather sullivan »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2017, 06:43:44 AM »
How has she been overnight, Heather?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2017, 23:13:54 PM »
OH DEAR POOR TABBY, I HOPE YOU CAN ETHER TO EAT A LITTLE LATER  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2017, 22:44:14 PM »
Tabby ate quite a bit last night and some biscuits. Today she has had a lick e lix with her antibiotic, then she ate a morsel of A/D food and a teaspoon of gourmet and then went in the bathroom and threw it all up half an hour later :sick: :sick: Now she won't eat anything. Will try again later :'( :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »
fingers crossed for you and tabby  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2017, 18:20:21 PM »
Topping up the snoozles, and glad the examination went well.  lets hope the injection will sort things out toot sweet.  :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2017, 18:03:02 PM »
 POOR TABBY AND YES IT WONT HELP WITHOUT THYROID PILLS AND MISAS T4 LEVELS WENT CRAZY HIGH.

YES HAVE UPDATED HIS THREAD AND THINK HE IS OK BUT THEY DIDNT RING ME LIKE THEY SAID THEY WOUD SO IN A PANIC WHEN I RANG. I HOPE THEY WILL DO BETTER TOMORROW COS HADNT HEARD ANYTHING EXEPT A MINUTE ON FRI!

ITS JUST SO WORRYING WHEN YOU ARE SO FAR AWAY IF THEY DO NOT STAY IN TOUCH LIKE THEY PROMISED.

WE LOVE OUR CATS SO MUCH AND SPEND ALL THEIR LIVES WITH THEM ALL THIS IS SO HARD  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 17:51:11 PM »
Thanks Gill. She is drinking quite a lot, but she looks better after having the fluids. She just sits on the vets table and doesn't move, with a blank expression, think she is used to it now. She seems fine in herself although lost a lot of weight, also as the vet said, because she hasn't had her thyroid pills for a while that doesnt help either.

Have you heard how Misa is doing today? :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 17:45:39 PM »
I DO HOPE ALL THIS HELPS HER HEATHER, SUCH A TERRIBLE WORRY WHEN ITS ALL IFS AND MAYBEES.

HOPEFULLY THE FLUIDS WILL HELP REHYDRATE HER.........IS SHE DRINKING?  AND THE INECTION AND ABS WILL HELP.

GENTLE CUDDLES TO TABBY FROM ME AND ALSO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF COS KNOW HOW HARD ALL THIS IS  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 17:35:43 PM »
We're back. Had a long chat with nice vet and she felt underneath her, said her bladder neck felt quite lumpy but could be due to inflammation or possible tumour. She said her bladder felt quite empty, which was good. Tabby was quite dehydrated again so she had some sub-cutaneous fluids under the skin, 4 lots, and also a steroid injection, so if she has inflammation in bladder it will help. She is also on antibiotics for another week and has to go back next monday for a check up or sooner if  she gets worse.  I said she had tried to wee earlier but only a drip came out, and also saturday night she overshot her litter tray and there was a tiny blob of blood in it, so am hoping and crossing everything it is an infection/inflammation and nothing worse. Have also bought some expensive food from the wet to see if she will start eating again :innocent:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 17:36:48 PM by heather sullivan »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 17:21:46 PM »
Will keep fingers firmly crossed, Heather. 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 15:23:23 PM »
Thank you. We are off to the vets at 4.15 pm today. Will update later :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
Oh Heather.  That doesn't sound like it's what you need right now.  Am hoping the vet may be able to make some suggestions.  Sending very gentle ear rubs to Tabby xx :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 21:00:36 PM »
thanks Gill I hope so too.  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 20:01:50 PM »
I AM SO SORRY HEATHER AND HOPE THE VET CAN HELP HER  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 19:18:37 PM »
Tabby has been off her anti biotics for a week now and has started not to eat again.......... been tempting her with lick e lix, and a whole variety of different foods but she keeps turning her nose up. I will ring the vets tomorrow and ask their advice. She has lost so much weight, she is like a little feather weight but still walking around, jumping on my bed, and purring............. :( :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
Sending gentle hugs to you both, Heather.   :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 07:36:41 AM »
Eating issues are very stressful :hug: Good job you have the other cats to feed :hug:

Glad she has pooped :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat