Author Topic: Modified title - Sky's diabetes / Hind leg weakness  (Read 40849 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Modified title - Sky's diabetes / Hind leg weakness
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2017, 20:49:48 PM »
 I THINK SOME WILL BE HER FOOD AND STRESS IN HUMANS MAKES LEVELS HIGHER......HER VACCINATIONS.

I DONT THINK DIABETES IS AN EXACT SCIENCE AND SUSPECT WHEN HER LEVELS DROP AND SHE FLAT LINES THEN THE NEXT DOSE NEEDS TO BE LATER THAN 12 HOURS.

HOWEVER IN HUMANS SOME FLUCTUATIONS ARE NORMAL AND ONE DAY BINGE OUT SAY AT CHRISTMAS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM, SO SUSPECT THAT IS THE SAME FOR CATS.

WONDERFUL NEWS ABOUT HER BACK LEGS  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2017, 18:01:08 PM »
Sorry I missed this :)

On the whole she is doing great - her hind leag weakness has all but gone.  She now runs all the way up the stairs with no problems and jumps up on the bed really cleanly.

Her numbers are also good but I think we will have to have another look at her insulin levels.  the insulin is supposed to last 12 hours so when she has been given insulin her blood glucose numbers are supposed to drop, stay level for a few hours then increase as the 12 hours comes to an end. She then gets another dose and it goes on.  Unfortunately Sky gets her insulin, drops at between 4 and 6 hours then flatlines so when the 12 hours is up she is often to low to dose properly which then swings her higher the following day.  I'm not injecting her tonight so I can see when roughly she starts to increase (though some may be food related).

She's also gone haywire this week following her annual vaccinations.

I would kill for a lie in one day!!!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2017, 18:27:24 PM »
Any update on Sky :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »
How is Sky getting on, and how is your new Vet.   :sneaky:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2017, 21:39:40 PM »
Sorry to hear what Sky has been through this past few months  :hug: Sounds like she has a very pro-active Mum looking out for her, hope you can get things back on an even keel for her :care:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
I DO HOPE THIS NICE NEW VET HAS GOT IT ALL RIGHT AND THAT WILL BE GIANT STEP FORWARD FOR SKY  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
Hoping Sky keeps the food down. The new vet sounds great :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2017, 14:40:19 PM »
Sounds like progress, I hope it continues.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2017, 12:25:28 PM »
We have a very very cute new vet......hope he stays...... :rofl:

Erm, right, about Sky - she is eating. Woohoo. Not much but a tiny bit of Felix this morning and a half small can of applaws is more than she has had in 48 hours so think we are through it.

The 48 hours is a running theme - it took over 48 hours for metacam to get out of her system when she was poorly off that, it was 48 hours without Caninsulin that her numbers then spiked (and she became lively again) and it has been 48 hours since her last Prozinc injection. The vet agrees that the Prozinc is the probable culprit.  She could have a slow metabolism which is why she has been not herself on caninsulin - it is supposed to last 12 hours but if her body doesn't metabolise it quickly then she could have been getting a build up which has made her feel rough.

She is going to have her pancreatic function tested and she is back on Caninsulin (£80 prozinc..........wasted!  :( :( :().  She has lost 150g in 24 hours so is now about 5kg but when she eats that will improve again - nice vet did say she needed to be more slimline....... :evillaugh: but it needs to be controlled.  He is also going to look at another insulin not registered for use in the UK.  Also said we are doing a great job monitoring her - and if we are happy to inject on no food we can, as long as I keep an eye on her bloods. 

Hopefully she will keep her food inside her today :) I do need to give her another wash down though as she is a bit stinky..... :sick:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2017, 04:19:58 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: FOR SKY

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2017, 16:42:12 PM »
The vet did warn me that there was a lot of liquid in her intestine so to expect more.....

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Good job she's pretty  :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2017, 15:57:32 PM »
I am so sorry that your girl is unwell again  :(  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2017, 14:41:34 PM »
Seems there are a few poorly kitties around.   :(

After doing really well and thinking she was in remission and stopping her insulin we have been struggling regulating her, not helped by going away for a week. Sky has had a change in insulin (the original was making her lethargic and not quite herself) and her numbers are getting worse - higher now than when she was diagnosed.   :censored:  Ironically she is much better in herself on the new insulin.

She's had a vet trip today as she isn't eating so I can't inject her. She's also been violently sick and very runny poos.  She is alert so think she has an infection . I am however armed with a pee stick waiting for her to pee to make sure she hasn't got ketones which apparently is very very bad. Vet doesn't think so but as I'm still not overly trusting of my vet.....

She had bloods in December and didn't show anything underlying so hopefully she will be eating soon.  She ate a bit of tuna but nothing since....unheard of!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2016, 18:35:37 PM »
DONALD NO TROUSERS  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
Mine have been Tiger Feral 3 and 3, HRH Sweetie was 2 and 1, Miss Millie was 5 and 5 for her whole time here bless her all 2 years and 3 months and now Donald Wheres your trousers on 2 and 2 to start its funny the ratio is still clear in my mind :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2016, 22:36:16 PM »
I have sort of acquired diabetic number 4 as a national cat charity couldn't get him stable and wanted to PTS so a quick phonecall to me and Donald "where's you trousers" Fluffy joined us on Sunday he is a walking knot but likes to be brushed a=not so keen on the teasing of the knots and the trim to his hind end, but never seen a cat with both front legs shaved and not mentioning his neck not sure what their vets did but we spoke at length to our vets on Sunday night and have gone with 2 and 2 for 3 weeks and we will do a full days curve at the vets then, need to get him settled and in better nick, he loves wet food and RC Rescue biscuits so far

I never do the testing myself and got the other 3 stable in about 6 weeks but having the first one as a feral diabetic testing lost so much skin on this human we said nope we will see what they are like without it and out vets are wonderful if we need advice, he is on 6.30 am and pm much easier for me to do with working and looking after the Clan and we are on day 3 and he is fine he has mastered the stairs and met the inside cats and no0w currently outcold in his fluffy bed in the guest ensuite :)

Love his name and hope you can get him stabilised and how wonderful that he has settled so quickly.  Sky had a front leg shaved as well as her neck/chest when she went in for her initial bloods. No idea why but as she seems to be slow growing her fur back it has made it easier when they have taken more blood out of her.

I didn't plan to do testing but after she went hypo in the first week as the original dosage was too high and was hypo at the vet last week without showing any symptoms (again from too high a dose) then I've decided to carry on - today is the only time I'm going to do a test every hour.  I'm not going to get focused on numbers but I do like knowing that she is safe to inject.  If her numbers stay the same then I may drop it down but at the moment I want to keep a closer eye on her.

Having a vet you trust is half the battle - starting with a 2 and 2 sounds sensible :) I'm not there with mine at the moment after she told me the lowest dose was a 5 and I had to do it twice a day!! 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2016, 20:36:40 PM »
YES THE VITAL FOOD ALWAYS  :censored: VANISHES!

HOPE SHE KEEPS ON DOING WELL  :hug: :hug:

AS YOU SAY SOME VERY CLEVER CLOGS AROUND  :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2016, 20:12:31 PM »
I have sort of acquired diabetic number 4 as a national cat charity couldn't get him stable and wanted to PTS so a quick phonecall to me and Donald "where's you trousers" Fluffy joined us on Sunday he is a walking knot but likes to be brushed a=not so keen on the teasing of the knots and the trim to his hind end, but never seen a cat with both front legs shaved and not mentioning his neck not sure what their vets did but we spoke at length to our vets on Sunday night and have gone with 2 and 2 for 3 weeks and we will do a full days curve at the vets then, need to get him settled and in better nick, he loves wet food and RC Rescue biscuits so far

I never do the testing myself and got the other 3 stable in about 6 weeks but having the first one as a feral diabetic testing lost so much skin on this human we said nope we will see what they are like without it and out vets are wonderful if we need advice, he is on 6.30 am and pm much easier for me to do with working and looking after the Clan and we are on day 3 and he is fine he has mastered the stairs and met the inside cats and no0w currently outcold in his fluffy bed in the guest ensuite :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2016, 19:21:05 PM »
Someone designed it for diabetic kitties.  Basically black is terrible - too high blood sugars.  It then goes down in order of seriousness - red, purple, yellow, blue, dark green, bright green - which is hypo territory.  So really we want to keep the numbers in the blue region as that is within the range 120 to 300 mg/dL (according to my insulin manufacturer) - the spreadsheet converts to US numbers from what I input.  Some spreadsheets that they have done has a key but I couldn't find it.  Some numbers in the blue range can still lead to kidney problems apparently

Some very clever people around :)

From the looks of it Sky has done well today - there is usually an initial spike when they eat and then it drops. Usually the lowest point is at +4 hours but she was longer than that.   Hope the vet thinks she is doing okay :)  I'm not doing this curve regularly but it is quite interesting to see it.  Going to carry on testing her bloods before injecting and hope she keeps low :)

Now, need to go and buy some more Applaws pate - just found it and PAH have stopped stocking it. Typical!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2016, 19:00:42 PM »
THATS A SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE SPREAD SHEET AND CAN SEE ITS A GOOGLE ONE. IS IT ONE THEY HAVE FOR DIABETIC CATS OR DID YOU MAKE IT?

SADLY I DONT UNDERSTAND IT........IS THERE A KEY FOR THE COLOURS ETC.ASSUMOMG HIGH NIMERS ARE BED AND VERY LOW ARE BAD BIT DONT UNDERSTAND THE NUMBERS IN THE TOP OF EACH COLUMN.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2016, 18:32:32 PM »
Sick of seeing me approaching her with instruments of torture!   :rofl:

I've emailed the spreadsheet to the vets for their thoughts but I think she has done really well - lots of blue numbers.  The ideal is to get dark green numbers but blue aren't too bad.  I was worried as her numbers before injection have been sneaking higher - she has been mainly on Felix AGAIL which has added sugars so that is going to have to be cut I think.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kCFXU61aTK78S-l-Et1LQZB17o3557O8_V9PLfL3HMg/pubhtml#

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2016, 18:01:15 PM »
How did she go today? :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2016, 07:29:06 AM »
full curve day today so fingers crossed for a good blood-letting day!  Starting at a nice lowish number - I have a real suspicion that her numbers have been sneaking up as she has been on felix agail which has added sugars.  it's a low carb food from what I can work out but the added sugars can be pushing her blood sugars high.  Last night she had applaws pate for her tea which seems to be one of the best complete foods out there for her that's easy to get - this morning her numbers have dropped by 5 units.

Honestly, I know more about diabetes now than I have ever wished to know!  As hard as it is on me sometimes trying to manage it I can't do anything other than my best for her.  Still early days and at some point may get easier as i will know for sure what food affects her.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2016, 19:22:09 PM »
GOOD LUCK AND HOPE ITS NOT CREEPING UP.

PLEASED HER BACK LEGS ARE DOING BETTER, STILL HOPING B12 WILL HELP EVEN A BIT MINE!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #195 on: November 14, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
I really take my hat off to you - there's a lot to get your head around, and I agree with Gill - far rather have a vet you can work with.  Whilst vets are knowledgeable, you still know your cat better than anyone.   :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
She seems fine but her bloods are creeping up at each test so dose may be too low.  Doing a curve tomorow to see how it is going.....a blood test every hour! 

Her back legs are doing much better but key to that is keeping her bloods low.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »
YOUARE DOING SO WELL AND ITS HARD TO REGULATE IN A HUMAN ON TABS.I KNOW ABOUT THIS LOL.........IF SHE IS GOINING INTO REMISSION NTHAT WOULD BE GREAT  ;D ;D

HOW ARE HER BACK LEGS?

YES YOUNDEFINATELY NEED A VET WHO IS OPEN MINDED AND WILL WORK WITH YOU..............SENSIBLE DOCTORS ARE HARD TO COME BY AND PROBABLY SAME WITH VETS, ALTHOUGH I AM LUCKY AND HAVE ONE FOR MISA.

AGAIN THE DISCUSSION THE SAME AND ABOUT DOSEAGE , ALTHOUGH HE IS HYPER T. I HAVE STARTED ON HALF VET RECOMMENDED DOSEAGE AND MY SUSPICION IS THAT ITS WORKING BUT ONLY A BLOOD TEST WILL SHOW..........NOT UNTIL 1 DEC GRRRRRRRRRR COS GARETH AWAY. THANK GOODNESS FOR HYPER T GROUP AND NICOLA AND OTHERS.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2016, 07:10:47 AM »
How did your weekend go, and how is Sky?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2016, 08:18:04 AM »
that is great, its a tricky thing to juggle but sounds like you are doing a very good job

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2016, 01:22:38 AM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2016, 12:02:41 PM »
Results of blood tests are back and she has a gold star for being well regulated :)  have to do another in a month on the lower dose but so far so good.  Just hoping mum will be able to inject whilst I'm away in London for a weekend.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2016, 16:29:56 PM »
Fingers crossed for remission!  :crossed:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2016, 16:07:45 PM »
So glad that Sky is improving :Luv:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2016, 14:49:12 PM »
Vet was horrified that I had changed the dose for a couple of times - she would have had a fit if I had said I hadn't actually dosed a few times!!!!  I did explain that I had blood tested before and she was far to low to give her the injection which settled her a little bit, It's not like I'm playing with the dosage for fun!

Anyway, my point was proved - she was 12.2 this morning before feeding and injection.  Had her normal dose and 4 hours later in the vets had dropped to 2.9 which was hypo. She wasn't showing any signs of hypo so came home with instructions that I might like to feed her when I get home......nah, I'll just make her suffer.  If I had given her the dose I was supposed to a couple of days ago it would have been another emergency vet trip no doubt.

I think she needs a new vet that can work with me. :)

Until then, I've to reduce her dosage and do a curve next week as it's possible she is going into remission.  Hope she is ..... could really do with not getting up every day at 6am.  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2016, 22:59:09 PM »
SADLY YOU PROBABLY DO KNOW MORE THAN THE PROFESSIONALS AND YOU CERTAINLY KNOW YOUR CAT BETTER THAN ANYONE.

I AM AFRAID JUST LIKE HUMAN DOCTORS THEY HAVE BOXES THEY SHOVE PEOPLE IN AND DO NOT LISTEN TO THE PERSON AND DO NOT ACCEPT THAT ALL ARE DIFFERENT.

JUMPING OFF HOBBY HORSE QUICKLY!

HOPE YOU GET GREAT FIGURES FOR THE MONTH, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU WILL  ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2016, 20:05:47 PM »
Sky is up and down at the moment with her leg weakness. Today she is doing really well but for a few days she hasn't been.

Finally managed to get blood out of her before I injected her insulin and she is well within normal range - the advice from the diabetes forum was not to inject her - so I took their advice.  As I haven't enough data to go off as to how she reacts to her insulin dosage, on the number she had she could easily have gone hypo very quickly.  I've tested again now, 2 hours after eating, and she is still in normal range so I'm glad I took their advice.

going to have to test her now before each meal time to be sure.  She is due to have a vets appt on Tuesday for bloods to be taken to test her monthly response so I'm going to quiz them!  I get the feeling I know more than they do though!

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2016, 00:09:05 AM »
great news :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2016, 21:57:31 PM »
TRUELY WONDERFUL  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2016, 20:53:23 PM »
Hurrah Sky! Attagirl  ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2016, 20:05:49 PM »
Sky is bouncing up stairs  ;D  Not all of them, just a few at a time and not all the time, but it's definitely progress.   When she is going up the remaining ones she isn't scrabbling either.

Not brave enough yet for dancing bananas but nearly........

Link to CatChat