Author Topic: Modified title - Sky's diabetes / Hind leg weakness  (Read 40873 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Vet trip for Sky :(
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2016, 20:43:27 PM »
[quote ]
On countdown now and it can't come soon enough.  A couple of times today she has really wailed ... I think she is now beginning to feel some pain and beginning to suffer so it will be time to look at starting her on medication I think. [/quote]

Have I missed something?  Why do you have to wait till Thursday?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2016, 19:36:19 PM »
I do hope this vet can do something to get Sky out of pain very soon!  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2016, 19:05:17 PM »
Noel is my absolute last resort - simply because of the distance involved.   I really hope that there is something can be done for her at the vets on Thursday - I'm dreading to think how much it will cost - it's £250 for a consultation! I also have to pay 15% of any treatment/investigative work due to her age so it could be a very expensive trip as I'm sure they will want to scan her again.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2016, 23:32:35 PM »
Didn't you say that Noel Fitzpatrick could see her this month? So sorry to hear that she is deteriorating so quickly :care: :care: :care:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2016, 17:56:14 PM »
Initial internet research has suggested shaving bone spurs aren't succesful - I presume they grow back.

On countdown now and it can't come soon enough.  A couple of times today she has really wailed for no reason - she very occasionally does this when she wants to find you without looking - and has pood on the floor . I suspect it wasn't an accident - it was close enough to the litter box for it not to have been an accident if that make sense. Not mad with her - it's her only way really to show us there is a problem as she doesn't know that we are having to wait to deal with it.

She is still scrabbling upstairs - can't face taking that pleasure away from her! 

If nothing can be done I am going to have to seriously consider her quality of life. I think she is now beginning to feel some pain and beginning to suffer so it will be time to look at starting her on medication I think.  I don't think she is ready to give up on life at the moment but if there is nothing to be done and deterioration continues at the same speed then I suspect within 6 months she won't be able to walk.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2016, 23:01:28 PM »
I love looking at x-rays (being an ex med secretary) but yes she does look rather plump ;D  At least they didn't find anything too nasty, and maybe they can now move on with a plan. Bone spurs are painful - I have just had shoulder surgery which included shaving bone spurs off - still in a sling 5 weeks later, can't drive, swim or ride my horse. Still very painful.  Prob suffer more as I am getting on :evillaugh: I don't see why they can't shave her bone spurs off?

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2016, 21:19:08 PM »
I don't want to worry you, but your description of how Sky sits and walks was exactly how Trigger was, and in his case it was caused by a tumour in his pelvic area

To be honest I was expecting that to be the diagnosis for her.  She is definitely getting worse - previously when she was coming upstairs slowly she was really quiet. Now she's scrabbling more so it is getting harder for her.  Going to have to look at confining her downstairs I think but she does love to be on a bed.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2016, 21:05:46 PM »
Thanks everyone. The vet diagnosed as bone spurs with nothing to be done (arthritis really) - the bone spurs touching nerves.

The second opinion is in a couple of weeks and today the vets have sent me her xrays.  She is proof you can look fat in xrays :D

They seemed clearer at the surgery - i think because they were bigger and the vet was pointing things out.  However, on the third picture you can see the bone growth towards the tail area.  I find the second picture more interesting as one of the vertebrae looks out of position completely.

Supervet last night was fascinating - spinal surgery.  He is my back up plan :D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2016, 13:33:28 PM »
I don't want to worry you, but your description of how Sky sits and walks was exactly how Trigger was, and in his case it was caused by a tumour in his pelvic area
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
Definitely worth chasing them up.  Poor Sky, bless her paws. 

I find this forum is invaluable sometimes as a form of diary-keeping.  As you say, when things become "the new norm" it doesn't always mean it's "normal" behavior, just that we adapt to seeing it. 

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2016, 22:34:20 PM »
My geriatric cat (21) has arthritis in her back knee, she sits with her leg sticking out. Hope they can find out what is wrong with Skye and help her :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2016, 20:56:00 PM »
I'm so sorry that your darling girl doesn't seem to be so well  :(

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2016, 20:51:32 PM »
2 more weeks to go - checked with the referal place and they haven't had any xrays from my vet at all so I have to go them to find out why not. Fortunately Robbie needs vacinations so I can ask them whilst I'm there.

Sky is definitely deteriorating - I have started a diary (which is pretty much this thread really) to keep an eye on things - it's so easy for things to become "normal" that I was losing track of when things were happening - for instance, she now sits with one leg out at an angle; when she's eating one of her legs "slides" away from her like she can't control it properly - litte things that make a bigger picture.  She hardly ever sits up now - always lies down on one side.  There are times when she looks so fed up with life and others she is bright as a button (relatively speaking). I still don't think she is bad enough to be treated as an emergency, I just hope they can do something for her.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2016, 20:44:19 PM »
Doesn't really matter what label she has as long as they pay for the bulk of her treatment. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2016, 19:54:00 PM »
Finally got my insurance claim settled - after 3 weeks of the vet saying they had sent the information needed to the insurance company!  I eventually picked up her notes and scanned them to the insurance company myself - they had them within 5 minutes of me sending them yet never received them from my vets.......

Anyway, her claim has been settled as "lethargy"....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Poor Sky, forever registered as lethargic.

I think I will have to email them to make sure they are aware that there will be follow up appts and it isn't lethargy really. 

Oh, and Robbie now uses the steps as he's a lazy boy cat :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 19:54:38 PM by Sootyca »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
Same as children, just have to make a liar out of you :rofl:

Ain't that the truth.....  :evillaugh:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2016, 17:56:47 PM »
Same as children, just have to make a liar out of you :rofl:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2016, 17:23:24 PM »
Glad to hear that she is doing well  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
Great  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Devil cats!

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2016, 22:33:42 PM »
We have up as well as down now  :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

And then to spite me and to prove she can, she jumps off the bed without using the steps and then back onto it later!  :rofl:

Cats  :innocent:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »
So pleased you got her referral through at last, I hope you can get a cancellation for her to be seen sooner. :hug:, maybe if she is still reluctant to use the steps you could tempt her up with chicken morsels, that's how I trained reluctant cats to use the cat flap.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2016, 07:10:50 AM »
Am glad Sky has figured out the steps can aid her getting to places she wants to go, bless her.  Also hoping that you'll be able to get a sooner appointment than anticipated.   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2016, 22:52:56 PM »
Misa would not use the stool he uses in the garden in the house to get onto the sofa.....he is stillm using it out there to get on the lounger.

I hope you can get an earlier appt  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2016, 22:21:03 PM »
I bought some heavy duty steps to help Sky get up and down off the bed so she doesn't have to jump. She has studiously ignored them even though she is now beginning to really struggle getting on the bed (getting off is fine, getting up her back legs don't seem to co-ordinate).

Tonight we had a small victory.....she used them to get off the bed. A little bit by accident as the duvet was over the top step and she was walking along the bed and found herself on the steps.  She hesitated but I persuaded her down the next one by letting her lick my hand (I moved it away to get her walking forward). She then sat down on one of them and got lots of fussing before finishing them off.

I'm hoping she will now remember this and use them to up onto the bed.  She is getting worse now at jumping - her back legs don't seem to move how she wants them to and she really has to pull herself up onto places with her front legs.  Sometimes she falls off which isn't good.

To get a sooner appointment I have to speak with my vet.......

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2016, 18:37:49 PM »
That's great news!   ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2016, 17:58:38 PM »
So pleased you have the referal and the chance to get in sooner  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2016, 16:52:41 PM »
I think they are being totally unreasonable and are now causing unacceptable delays........I would be threatening to sue them if Sky gets any worse or the lack of referal cuases her a problem.............that got my current vets moving when Napoleon needed to go there as an emergency and the duty vet was saying no, which immediately changed to a yes!

He was registered at two vets and had never been to them but they had 24 hour cover and he had had 2 seizures in the car trying to get him home and I was seething and mobile battery dying. I was very close to them parked but about 12 miles from home.

That's awful. :( I don't see why there is such a problem with referals, it isn't like it is going to cost the vet.

My vet didn't ring but I did get a referal.   :wow:  The soonest appointment is September........ :Crazy: :Crazy:  I've taken it and see it as a good sign that they are obviously popular so know what they are doing. :)  I will tell them I will take any cancellations and if she gets worse they could see her as an emergency.   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2016, 15:07:51 PM »
I think they are being totally unreasonable and are now causing unacceptable delays........I would be threatening to sue them if Sky gets any worse or the lack of referal cuases her a problem.............that got my current vets moving when Napoleon needed to go there as an emergency and the duty vet was saying no, which immediately changed to a yes!

He was registered at two vets and had never been to them but they had 24 hour cover and he had had 2 seizures in the car trying to get him home and I was seething and mobile battery dying. I was very close to them parked but about 12 miles from home.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2016, 13:02:08 PM »
If they come across as being reluctant then it's worth asking the question whether referral is subject to payment of commission, or whether it's an issue with professional etiquette.   Either would be acceptable if they simply told you, but to express reluctance without you being clear as to why is more of a concern.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »
My vet and I are on a collision course!

Rang this morning as my insurance company haven't had the claim yet (and it was last Tuesday when I was in the vets) and also to request a referal to where I want to go.  She really wasn't happy that I didn't want to use the place they have referred to - well, she said I will have to ask the vet about this.  I said you can ask the vet all you like but I am not going to where you have referred me, I want to go to this place...... she then said that they would have to send all her details to the new place.....well, yes but she would have to have done that for the original referal so what's the problem?  Towards the end of it she did grudgingly say it was my choice as to where I go......but she will still have to ask the vet!

I kinda got the impression that maybe they get some sort of "finders fee" if they refer their cases to the original place and didn't want to lose it.  To me it is unacceptable - I want to go to the most appropriate place.

At the end of all this I don't think she will be going back there!  They are beginning to wind me up!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2016, 23:48:54 PM »
Just go with what you think is best for Sky, no-one on here is going to judge you for doing what you think is best for her, if your gut is telling you something isn't right then it probably isn't.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2016, 16:23:43 PM »
 :crossed: that things will go well for Sky  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 16:14:34 PM »
Hope all goes well  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
Good luck with the investigations.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
Neurotic or not, I really don't want to go this place.   I think part of it is that the vet has just chosen it - there has been no consultation and no checking about what is the best place for her - it's just the referal unit that they always use.  To me that isn't good enough - I have to be sure she is going to the most appropriate place.

So, I've found a new place that is still within an hour and more importantly, they do have spinal specialists so I have a little more confidence in them.  And someone at work has used them and said she couldn't fault them.

I don't think I will wait for Fitzpatricks - at this moment I don't have faith my vet would pass on the information correctly anyway!!!

Edited to add - thanks for all the support and listening to my paranoia!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:18:26 PM by Sootyca »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2016, 22:48:07 PM »
Go with your instinct you dont want to look back and reget what happens  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2016, 16:45:50 PM »
Better a worry wort than blase. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2016, 13:22:04 PM »
You are not only a paying customer, but you are a concerned owner.  Surely you have a right to contribute to how your cat is examined, where, and what treatment plans are available? 

Always trust your gut instinct.  It was developed to prevent us from being eaten by dinosaurs with tiny paws, and it's done us pretty well down the millennia.   :hug:

I absolutely agree. Also, you want to know that you are doing your utmost to get Sky the best possible treatment. No point in seeing someone if you gut is going to be telling you not to trust them!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2016, 13:18:00 PM »
You are not only a paying customer, but you are a concerned owner.  Surely you have a right to contribute to how your cat is examined, where, and what treatment plans are available? 

Always trust your gut instinct.  It was developed to prevent us from being eaten by dinosaurs with tiny paws, and it's done us pretty well down the millennia.   :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2016, 13:11:44 PM »
I think I'm in danger of being neurotic!!!   :innocent:

Done some checking about who we have been referred to and there is just something about the particular vet that I don't like and I don't know how unreasonable I'm being!  I've run it by a couple of non-neurotic cat people and they have said the same - but I don't know if I've led them to the same conclusion as me. I can't put much on here as it could possibly identify them and I don't want that!

Can just see me going back to my vets after everything else and saying that I want a referal to a different place. Just because they are local doesn't mean they will be the best for her.  I know I'm a paying customer and everything but I can just see me getting a worry-wart note put on my account!!!!

Link to CatChat