Author Topic: Modified title - Sky's diabetes / Hind leg weakness  (Read 40875 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Vet trip for Sky :(
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2016, 13:05:06 PM »
I'm sorry to hear it is diabetes but happy that the niggle in the back of your mind paid off, I'm not sure about animal diabetes but in humans the needles are very fine and hopefully it won't be too traumatic for either of you

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2016, 13:03:00 PM »
Good news is we're eating again and much brighter so metacam must be fully out.

Medium good news is definitely diabetes so she will have to learn to accept daily injections and initial home blood testing. She is a good natured cat - extremely good natured - so hopefully she will adjust well to them. I have to go with her on Thursday to learn how to do it.  I'm really pinning my hopes on the diabetes being the cause of her hind leg weakness so hope to see some improvement with that as well but that could take time. If it doesn't improve it is still a secondary concern to getting her stabalised.

I've been offered some special diet food but I would rather do research and get something that isn't a special vet food - she never really liked the lack of variety when previously on it.

So a new journey begins.

So glad I went for the bloods.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
Thanks, that really helps - she is a regular pooer but not an often pooer if that makes sense so it could take longer to get out the system than I expected.  She has just got up for some ham for lunch which she hasn't done for a few days so could be picking up :)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
Based on it's metabolic profile the bulk of  should be out of the system within 2 to 3 days, with 75% of the administered dose iexcreted via the faeces.  I'm not sure what the mechanism of the GI side effects is but if it's a direct irritant effect on the GI membranes ( (rather than a response to levels of metacam in the blood) then the side effects could persist  for some time after all the drug has been excreted.  Hope she picks up soon.  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2016, 08:58:15 AM »
Anyone know how long it takes for metacam to get out the system?

She's been without it now for 3 days and isn't really improving.  She eats but compared to previously it isn't very much (will help with weight loss I guess!) - she usually has 4 good meals a day, yesterday it was one and I think it was only because it was Applaws!  She had a tiny bit of supper as well but nothing like normal.  She is very subdued as well.

This morning she has had some breakfast but I don't think she would have been bothered if there wasn't any!

Really hoping the bloods come back soon and don't take a week - I had forgotten I'm away on Friday and Saturday which can't be cancelled (sorting my own back problems out) so mum is going to have to look after here and monitor her.  Would rather I was there but can't be helped.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2016, 14:40:41 PM »
Sending you both lots of love   :care:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »
No, of course you don't treasure.  :hug:  Fully understand that.  But, fore-warned is fore-armed, and once you know what it is you're facing, it's often easier to choose your strategy, and take what steps are available.

Sending Sky a Super-Snoozle, jam packed with feel good vibes.   

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:55 AM »
Thanks. It's bittersweet in a way because I don't want her to have diabetes, or any other illness it may show up, but it's easier if she does  (and if it's a cause of her current problems!) as it is probably easier to treat.

We'll know for sure in about a week but I'm still expecting the result to be the same - I've suspected it for a couple of weeks.  She did say that her sugars could be high as a result of stress of the vets visit but that she didn't appear to be under any real stress. They are doing a test on her blood that shows longstanding sugar content - it's all very clever and technical.

She has also lost another 100g in a week - other than the last couple of days she's been eating fine so we really need to work out what is happening with that.

Poor Sky, it's a good job she travels okay as I suspect there could be a few more trips in her future!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2016, 07:11:37 AM »
Good move getting the bloods done.  See?  You weren't over-reacting.   :hug: :hug:

Much love to you both this morning.   :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2016, 22:37:49 PM »
Worth doing the bloods then after all. Hopefully now they can treat her and she will feel better soon. :Luv:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2016, 19:08:24 PM »
Feeling justified. Bloods taken - was an angel.  Initial check was that blood sugar level us high at 23.2.  Full bloods will be analysed but initial thought is diabetes.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2016, 16:34:43 PM »
So sorry to hear that your girl is still unwell and miserable  :(  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
Still off her food and looking sad.  Got to keep her off metacam. Hopefully bloods will come up with something as she isn't happy.   Second vet doesn't really want to see her unless we want to go ahead with an op for her but as I'm still not convinced I'm not going with that.  If she couldn't walk then maybe I would. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2016, 08:05:50 AM »
How's Sky today?   :hug: :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2016, 23:07:48 PM »
Oh Honey, :hug: :hug: :hug:, so worrying for you :care: :care: :care:, nothing I can do except offer sympathy and positive vibes for your poor Baby.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
Had to call the referal place today.  She has gone very lethargic, getting very runny poos and isn't eating much.  All side effects of metacam and seem to remember she had similar issues last time she was on it.  If she doesn't eat she is ill.  Vet will call back tomorrow to see if she is to stay on it - he's not on today and she's had her dose today already. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2016, 00:26:18 AM »
I agree too, to the vet she is going to be one of many presenting. You know her and, bless her, she is struggling. :care: :care: :care:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2016, 15:20:40 PM »
I would go with gut instinct too.  If you didn't and something happened, you'd beat yourself up over it.   :hug:

I agree with this absolutely!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2016, 13:07:33 PM »
I would go with gut instinct too.  If you didn't and something happened, you'd beat yourself up over it.   :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
I really hope you get some answers you feel comfortable with.  I know we have often doubted our vets (and actually doctors) and been vindicated nobody knows her like you do

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2016, 09:49:47 AM »
She;s going in on Thursday night - poor love will hate me!  I know I have to stop being neurotic but I can't get it out of my head that she hasn't had any blood tests and having been overweight she is prime candidate really for diabetes especially. They do them in house so will hopefully come back quickly.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »
Good luck for today, and hope your call to the Vet will help clarify your thoughts.   :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2016, 21:10:12 PM »
Yes but she is still determined and I can't take that away from her.  She wants to be upstairs so will make sure she gets there.  It's now 3 months since she started like this and no improvement at all.

I will call my vet tomorrow to ask about bloods and if they think it is worth it.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2016, 20:49:12 PM »
Oh bless her! She is struggling, isn't she?  :(

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2016, 20:02:15 PM »
This is the stairs tonight.  Still struggling.

https://youtu.be/bLioUosBPbg

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2016, 17:43:45 PM »
She is a little brighter in herself and looks happier but there has been no visible improvement in her jumping or getting up the stairs.  The vet did say it could take a little while for the metacam to get in her system and create a build up. She has had 5 doses of it now.  If she doesn't improve she will go back and get scanned but I am erring more towards the bloods - I was going to say it can't hurt to have them done but it obviously will hurt her! 

I just worry that I'm putting her through a battery of tests and focusing on it being a mechanical problem when it may not be. 

To be fair to both vets - initially she didn't present with symptoms other than struggling on stairs and jumping and the referal vet was a referal for orthopedic.  I think I have to be sure we're not overlooking an obvious thing.  It could be that she has a problem with her cruciate and her spine but really neither of them is causing her problem.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2016, 16:22:44 PM »
how is she now

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2016, 22:55:21 PM »
I would.  No neurosis about it :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2016, 20:24:19 PM »
Thanks for all your support :)  Sky is on her metacam but so far not showing any improvement - I know it's only 3 days but I want the magic wand cure  :rofl: :rofl:  She is being a little bit more social but movement wise there is no difference.

that diagnosis sounds better then, if it will heal within 6 months? :) might be worth having bloods done later on to check her for thyroid problems etc. She sounds such a lovely cat, most cats in pain being manipulated by a vet would put up a fight I know 2 of mine would :naughty:

Realistically we are now 2 1/2 months in from when the problems started and she has been deteriorating. Hopefully it is just because of pain and now she is on metacam she will improve.

I couldn't belive how good she was - there was just no sign whatsover that she had any pain from anywhere - just some discomfort.

I think to satisfy myself I'm going to be neurotic and ask for bloods to be done by my vet, just to be sure.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2016, 21:27:30 PM »
that diagnosis sounds better then, if it will heal within 6 months? :) might be worth having bloods done later on to check her for thyroid problems etc. She sounds such a lovely cat, most cats in pain being manipulated by a vet would put up a fight I know 2 of mine would :naughty:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2016, 21:39:35 PM »
Sending much love your way  :hug:

and from me too  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2016, 18:42:19 PM »
Sending much love your way  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2016, 16:17:13 PM »
at least the metacam should make her a bit more comfortable

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2016, 15:46:01 PM »
They don't repair as such but from how he described it there is bonegrowth around which helps it recover and stabilise but will take about 6 months - I think there will always be some degree of lameness and struggling to do things but they compensate in other ways.  There is surgery available but they try to avoid that really.  If there is no improvement through metacam then they will look again.  Most of the time she doesn't walk as if she is lame - it is generally the jumping and steps - he described that  as when most of the power is generated and hurts her most. Normal walking doesn't require sudden movement.

Starting her on metacam tonight and hoping it will work for her :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2016, 15:38:44 PM »
is that something that will repair?  does seem odd about the weight, maybe you can keep an eye on her weight at home

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2016, 15:35:01 PM »
Another vet, a different diagnosis!

This vet thinks it's a torn cruciate ligament.  The bone spurs/spinal issues are there but he doesn't think it is necessarily a nerve problem as she was responsive when he did the nerve tests.  She has been given metacam to try again and has to have 2 weeks on that - if she's no better she will go back to them (they didn't do any xrays or anything else). If she improves off the metacam then she will stay on that. 

She was such a good girl - I was holding her front end and he was really manipulating her legs.  He did say at one point for me to be careful of her biting - I said I would be very surprised if she bit. The worst thing she did was put her claws in my arm (but only gently!) - there was no hissing, no crying, no biting.  She just wiggled to get away. I suppose that in a way makes it hard for him to see which bit of her is really hurting as she just wasn't letting him know.

The only thing I am concerned at is she has lost more weight - don't get me wrong, she does need to lose weight, but I just don't know how she is doing it!  She is so inactive she makes me look energetic!!!  She is now 4.9kg which is 400g less than she was 2 months ago and she is eating well.   I'm going to take her back to my vets I think in a couple of months (if I don't have to take her back in the meantime) and get her reweighed again. May be worthwhile having her bloods checked to make sure there is nothing underlying.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2016, 15:26:17 PM »
was it today that you went?

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2016, 22:32:21 PM »
She doesn't seem in outright pain, it's more that she is not herself and looks in discomfort more than pain. If I thought she was really suffering with pain i would get something - but the side effects of the medication I have already been told can be horrendous and cause her other problems with kidneys and they only want to put her on medication as a real last resort.  Her suffering is in her not being able to do things like jumping on beds or sitting upright.

I've just realised, she has never had any blood tests run in conjunction with this problem.  I was looking up muscle weakness in cats and low phosphorus was mentioned but also feline diabetes - it was this paragraph on a site about diabetic neuropathy that made me wonder if indeed it is something that is not what my vet has said:

An affected femoral nerve can lead to a plantigrade gait, which is walking on the whole sole of the foot (e.g., like rabbits, bears, and people). In cats, this gait takes the shape of walking on hocks (heels), and the tarsal joints and nerves of the hind legs are progressively damaged, leading to pain, numbness, and weakness or paralysis. The first sign of neuropathy in cats is often weak hind legs. As the condition progresses, the cat won't be able to stand on its toes. Jumping will become increasingly difficult until it's impossible. Eventually, the cat's legs will seem to slip out from under it, and the cat will be unable to walk. These are signs of motor and sensory nerve damage

That is exactly the progress that Sky has had.  There's no doubt she has the bone spurs but I am going to ask if this hospital can run blood tests on her to rule out anything else.  She has been overweight for years (chronically at times) and so has had a higher risk of diabetes. I can't believe that she hasn't had tests and I didn't pick up on this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2016, 22:24:01 PM »
Is there any reason she can't have pain relief meanwhile? It must be so very difficult watching her struggle without being able to give her pain relief  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2016, 21:04:24 PM »
Thursday is her second opinion at a vet hospital/referal centre after my vet said there was no treatment for her.  It's been a 2 month wait during which she has been deteriorating - they would have seen her sooner if it had been an emergency but she has been okay for the most part. She's been deteriorating but it's been gradual and there haven't been any real personality changes from it.  For the last week or so she is beginning to look like she is struggling.  If I hadn't been going this week I would be rining them to see if she could get an earlier appointment.

Link to CatChat