Author Topic: Martha new kitten on the block  (Read 42105 times)

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Martha
Re: Martha new kitten on the block
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2015, 17:48:31 PM »
Oh Sue
You poor thing.
There's is nothing worse than a sad pet. But you got Tess through it. That's the main thing. Martha seems ok. She's asleep on my bed at the moment.  :)
Everyone who meets her remarks on how tiny she is. I guess she will always be small but she's healthy enough if not timid!!! Am resolved to get a water pistol to ward off other cats ...... She needs protecting!!  :shify:
Anyway, we plod on and hope her next visit is wee free! She knows we'll be back now though so hopefully all will be well.
Thanks too Hollycat
 :thanks:
Will email pics as I can't upload!
Mm

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2015, 17:40:53 PM »

She'll  be ok, takes time to settle  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2015, 07:59:31 AM »

I guess it's been a lot for her to cope with of late - the international travelling, new home, new smells, new experiences etc.  And of course the ticks (narsty blighters!)

The cattery will have looked and felt strange to her, and she wouldnt have known that you were coming back.  By giving her something of yours with your scent as well as her own, she may feel more secure. 
I remember when we had both Paddy and Tess (our dog), I worried myself sick about putting them into a cattery and kennels when we had our first holiday after Mum died (she used to look after ours so very well when we were away).  Paddy was fine - took it all in his stride, but Tess didn't take it at all well, and her confidence was shot to pieces when we returned.  She'd been well taken care of, but had pined so much, it set us back with her progress substantially.  When we first got Tess she was a rescue dog.  She hadn't been deliberately mistreated, but she hadnt had a great start to life, and had existed as an outdoor dog, eating a diabolical diet which left her with health problems.  She wouldnt come in to a house withut trembling, she got separation anxiety, she would chew and throw up and defecate.  It took us two years to sort her out, so she was a happy, healthy, confident dog, and unfortunately after her kennel stay, she was a wreck.  We had to begin all over again.  She was worth it though.  She was a wonderful dog.

Sorry - am rumbling on this morning!  Anyways, hoping that Martha will be more settled this time when you're away.  :hug:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2015, 21:59:06 PM »
Thanks Sue!!
Hope your furrys are ok!!
I'd taken her bed from home as I thought it would comfort her, but she wee'd in that so must have been upset.  I washed it twice lol. She's got back in it this evening and seems settled again. I'll definitely take something that has my scent on it instead thanks for the suggestion. The cattery owner said she was scared of other cats, she is very timid, doesn't like loud noises or movement. She can also be a bit unfriendly but at other times she'll sit on your lap and enjoys a scratch/stroke.
Anyway she's back there again next weekend as we're away again for a couple of days. It's safest for her there.
Thanks for advice
MM x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2015, 14:22:54 PM »
Lovely to hear from you again and to know the house move went well.   ;D

So sorry you're homesick a bit, but it's still early days.   :hug: :hug:

The weeing is territorial.  I suspect she wanted to mark her scent on her bedding to stake out her claim.  She'll have been anxious without you, and they dont know that when we part from them, that we're definitely coming back.  We always try to leave the suitcases out for a couple of days before we travel, to give the boys a chance to investigate them, and trigger the reminder that when they come out, we will be going away, but that we do come back.   

If you need to put her in a cattery again, try giving her something of yours to keep - a toy which you've slept with perhaps, or a towel, old dressing gown or nightie - anything which will help to comfort her.

I also do tell ours that I'll be away for however many sleeps, and I count them down on y fingers for them while I tell them.   Sounds daft, but hey - if it helps!   :shy:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2015, 13:31:12 PM »
Hello purrfect pals!!!
Apple for being AWOL, the last 5 months have been quite hard at times.
The move overseas went well, but I've been so home sick and Martha been my constant companion. She's had a few vet visits..... Ticks, allergic reaction to ticks, and a hind paw covered in what could only be described as tar!! But she settled well and goes out most of the day, but as she's turned out to be a mouser we can't let her come and go as were in rented accommodation!!! She's also v scared of other cats, one harasses her quite a lot. We had a trip back to the UK at the weekend and I put her in a lovely cattery for the first time, I was in bits!! Cattery and lady who runs it lovely, I checked them all out. But when I picked her up yesterday he bed was wet in one patch and we think she'd wee'd!!! Why would she do that. She's back home now and looked fine when I picked her up. Back to her normal routine so I'm not worried though had to wash her bed twice!!!
Hope everyone else ok
MM x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2015, 13:27:19 PM »

Hi Martha's Mummy.  How has the move gone?  Hope all went well and smoothly, and everyone fit and happy.   :Luv:

Offline Big Cat Lover

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lucky (also Tiger and Gypsy RIP)
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
Sorry I'm late to this thread, MM. Glad things seem to be getting better.  Martha is just soooo cute - I just want to smother her with kisses!!
Do not walk in front of me, I will not follow
Do not walk behind me, I will not lead
Just walk beside me and be my friend

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »
All approrpiate fingers crossed here MM.   :crossed:  As you can see, I cross them whilst triping.   :innocent:

Let's try that again.

All appropriate fingers crossed here.   :evillaugh:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
Husband back home, tick!
First good nights sleep for ever, tick!
Cat sleeping with husband on his bed, tick (he snores)!
I know it's 5.30 but that's ok I've had a good 7 hours which is good for me so can face the day non-teary!!
The collar of shame prevails, vet check up today, but it'll be on until she gets bandaged next Thursday for travelling!
Fingers crossed MM  :Luv:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »
Out of sheer desperation I ordered express delivery!!! So should be here before 1pm tomorrow!!! I can't cope with 3 hours sleep!!! I am bad sleeper anyway and on top of an international house move next week this may we'll be the straw that broke the camels back!!! Anyway the little darling is on cushions on top of her crate watching the world go by. I've already booked in to the vets  a week on Sat at our destination to have her wound and knee checked and hopefully have stitches taken out!!!
Thanks for your enduring support it's so appreciated!! Perhaps one day lil Martha will have a run of good luck and be injury/crisis free for a little while!!
MM :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
If you ordered from VetUK they are usually pretty quick.  Just so very important that she allows the wound to heal.

As a wound heals it usually becomes a bit itchy which is the time that a cat will be more likely to interfere with it  :scared:  I hope she is comfortable and that you find some way to soothe your nerves  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2015, 07:50:57 AM »
Rosella Moggy
I've taken the plunge and just ordered a small one from
amazon - found out she's to have this on for another 8 days whilst wound gets aired and heals ready for stitches to come out!!!! Can't cope with the horrid plastic thing get gave us. Will also help when hubby is home tomorrow so I can at least go to the toilet in peace, nevermind start the packing up of the house!!!!!
Knackered and emotional Martha's Mummy  :tired:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2015, 08:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice.
I don't know if I ordered it that it would arrive in time. She's bsck at the vets on Friday that'll be 8 days after her Op. Not sure when they would remove stitches. There's only 2 stitches. Didn't have a great night which was to be expected. I think it's more a case of getting used to it for both of us. Certainly can't go to work and leave her. I took it off whilst she used her tray and ate a bit this morning. I've put her on cushions on top of her crate now where she's going off to sleep. At least she can look out of the window!! I'm shattered though lol nevermind her!!!
Marthas mummy  :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
We used this type of collar to stop Bobby fussing with his eye when it became infected.  Initially had the smallest size but found he was able to still kick his eye using his back leg so got the next size up.  Bob is very lanky though.  Our vet stocks them so suggest you ring your vet.  It was just less stressful for Bob and allowed him access to food bowls with more ease. 

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-supplies-pet-medicals-c-141_438/buster-inflatable-elizabethan-collar-blue-p-7902

Sending Martha every best wish for a speedy recovery  :care: :care: and a few  :hug: :hug: for you too.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »

Ouch - sounds like you've been in the wars as well as Martha!  HOw's your eye?   :hug: :hug:

I know some have had limited success with inflatable collars, but I think Carol used a type of covered foam collar which worked better, though I cant recall what it was called. 

Sending gentle ear rubs for Martha, and hoping she's finding her feet again now she's home.    :Luv: :hug:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2015, 22:30:24 PM »
Any tips re collars?
Marthas had her bandage off and now has to wear a collar which she's struggling with but it's only been since 5.30. I'm sleeping downstairs though I've crated her so I can keep an ear out!!! It's ridiculous......
I need this like hole in the head.

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2015, 22:49:41 PM »
Hello Purrfect pals!!

Thanks for your support. Said dog was in fact in his own garden so quite within his right to chase anything. Problem is he'd been kennelled for the last few days so Martha had been visiting his patch unaware she was trespassing!!!!!

I think she'll be quite wary of the big wide world after this, she was just getting her sea legs when this happened. She's quite timid most of the time and jumpy (like her mum)! I'm just anxious about the convalescing period. She had an op this afternoon, wound took some cleaning before being stitched, and she's damaged her knee but the vet said she's Young and it will heal! She's there again tonight to keep her calm and she can sleep off the anaesthetic....she was scary after she'd been spayed!!! She won't thank me for putting her in a crate when she's home but she needs to not jump!!!

Anyway at least Martha didn't get bleach in her eye today unlike mummy who ended up in a&e!!!!! A story for tomorrow
Night all
Marthas mummy

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2015, 22:46:18 PM »
Oh dear!  :(

Martha and MM  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2015, 13:16:35 PM »

Beautifully subtle suggestion from our Rosella there.  Always tactful and effective.  :hug: :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2015, 11:45:32 AM »
Might be worth mentioning to neighbour MM that her dog could get knocked over, when chasing a cat, if off a lead.  That's how I put it to an elderly chap up the road and dog always on a lead now...... at least when he is walking past our house  :shify:

Am assuming this happened outside of dog's garden of course?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2015, 07:18:48 AM »

I'm not altogether sure I agree there, MM.  I've been a  lifelong dog owner (until the last three years)

Our beloved old Paddy was once chased by a dog which wouldve killed him if it had caught him, but he had the good sense to head fr a tight space the dog couldnt follow.  The dog, in it's rage, went to bite me as I tried to restrain it.  Luckily, he didnt do much damage, but it couldve been a whole lot worse.

The dog was visiting our neighbour, and the woman who owned it knew full well it hated cats, but she persisted in letting it off it's lead even though she knew the cul de sac had no fewer than 5 cats living there at the time.  I love dogs almost as much as I love cats, but a responsible dog owner should know what their dog's reaction is to stimulus and should take steps to make sure it remains under control.

I wonder if she'd be quite so concerned if you sent her the vet's bill for Martha's treatment.  Just saying.....   :hug:

Anyway, getting worked up about it wont change anything at this stage, but it sounds like it's just as well you're moving soon.

You may find when Martha comes home her confidence will have taken a bit of a knock, and you may have to work with her in that respect, especially with the move pending.  She may well be her old rumbunctuous self of course, but worth bearing in mind she might not.

A change of environment on top of this could make her a bit wary. Lots of Martha's Mummy cuddles are in order I think when you get your little girl back home.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »
Sue  :thanks:
You are of course right, good and sensible advice.
I really need to stop worrying so much it's not good for me or her!!
Will let you know how she's doing once checked in with the Vet! My neighbour who's dog chased her was very concerned. It's not the dogs fault either. He was just acting instinctively so no one is to blame. I don't know its one that my after another!!
Hope your puddys are ok   
Marthas Mummy  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2015, 06:41:29 AM »

Don't let dark thoughts begin to take over, MM.   :hug: :hug:  Am sending lots and lots of positive thuoghts for Martha, and hoping that she'll have spent a comfortable night, and can have her leg treated today.  You gotta take a deep breath, stand back and let go.  Getting worked up at this point is only likely to exacerbate your breathing difficulties.  All will be well.   :hug:

Me, Tinks and Moray send our love to Martha.   :catplay2: :catlove2: :cat rub:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2015, 21:30:59 PM »
Thanks Hollycat
What next

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2015, 21:25:25 PM »

Poor Martha Hope all goes well at the vet.  :hug:

Bad doggy ;)

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2015, 21:04:56 PM »
So I thought not sleeping from 2am was hard!! Today has been trauma after trauma, ending with Martha being chased by next doors dog. In the process of scrabbling up a tree to get away she's punctured her leg and potentially torn her knee ligaments. I couldn't get her out of the tree she was paralysed with pain and fear. When I eventually got hold of her and took her in she rushed off on 3 legs. I raced to the vets where she's spending the night to stop her from trying to jump before they  X-ray and treat her knee and wound in the morning. 2 weeks tomorrow I am moving ....... Suffice to say if anyone place a straw on my back I may just crumble completely. Positive prayers please for Martha who's fast running out of lives.
 :scared: :( :'(
Marthas Mummy

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2015, 03:24:16 AM »
Very stressed!!!! Hence this early morning post  :Crazy:
Soooooo much to do .... downsizing to smaller place so thinning out current contents.
Did not use inhalers or antihistamine at all yesterday. Breathing back to normal amazing!!!! Convinced hoovering key to reinstated good health (touch wood)! Emptied Hoover (again) and washed out cylinder as very dusty indeed!!!! Martha enjoying new freedom outdoors, and a happy puss! A healthy 2.6kg at weigh in on Monday.....put her in shopping bag to weigh her on scales  :rofl: now nearly 7 months!!
Back to sleep     :-:
Martha's Mummy

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »

Are you excitred about the move (or just stressed?!).   Where is it you're moving to - do you have a mammoth journey to make?

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
Thanks Hollycat!!!
Asthma is a bummer and esp when it's furry friend related. Am hopeful things will get better/manageable for us both!!!
Much love Marthas doting Mummy 

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

Glad everything is going better for you MM. I still have problems with my asthma, non cat related. Perfumes, aftershave, household cleaners especially bleach based products and any aerosol. I can only use roll on deodorants. I do use Febreeze. It might be worth looking into for you  ;D

As if you haven't enough going on with the move  ;D

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2015, 22:10:29 PM »
Purrfect people, today another good day! Used my preventer and blue inhaler when got up, not needed antihistamine or any top up puffs all day. Have hoovered again, another good crop of dirt (but this may be something to with all the dust were kicking up whilst decluttering our house and packing things up)!!! Lil M on my lap snoozing and I am not tight chested or coughing!!! I think a combo of the stress of a move, more dust in the air and an ineffectual Hoover may be the reasons I was so ill! My petal cleanse arrived today so plan to start introducing that to our routine tomorrow! Will keep you all posted......
Much love Marthas Mummy  :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2015, 13:35:49 PM »
my oh is allergic and at one point we had five cats!  you do desensitise over time, hope that happens quickly for you

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »

Glad it's settling down a bit MM.  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2015, 07:01:51 AM »
Am also hoping these measures will be successful for you.  I know a few people who have asthma and cats, and the two arent necessarily mutually exclusive, but much depends on how an individual feels they can manage their condition.   :hug:  I know you'd be devastated if you had to part from your lil baby girl, and I'm sure she'd be equally bereft without her Mum.  :hug:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2015, 22:34:55 PM »
That's very good news MM, I hope the improvement continues.

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2015, 20:20:59 PM »
Well a week on from my hospital visit and we seem to be doing much better. I invested in a new Hoover  yesterday.....I knew the old one was a bit past it...but after a session around the house yesterday I could see it had not been effective at all, and I felt quite ashamed (being so house proud)! This evening whilst I am marginally asthmatic, she's on my lap without me coughing uncontrollably, something I feared I'd never be able to do again. I've sprayed some air-cleanse this afternoon and am going to hoover again tomorrow to keep things as clean as possible. I'm breathing with my mouth shut as well (something my husband thought impossible), so I hope to be able to report that things continue to improve for us and will let you know how we're doing soon.
Love to all, Marthas Mummy

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »
This might be a bit of radical thinking but have you tried breathing through your nose to help with your asthma? I thoroughly recommend "Close Your Mouth" self-help Buteyko manual by Patrick McKeown which taught me about the issues related to over-breathing has helped my Asthma a lot.

I wheeze less and sleep better, have more energy, I'm less grumpy, my throat isn't dry and scratchy all the time, I'm warmer, I think it even helped me to lose some weight. You can read a few pages for free on Kindle sample.  :) You'll find your nasal passages clear quite quickly, there's even a technique for clearing a perpetually blocked nose which was a light-bulb moment for me! Asthma can be scary so if you're ready to turn things around for yourself this may be a starting point for you as it was for me (I no longer need my inhaler, it's in my bag but I haven't used it in months, and I now have 8 cats!).

It sounds as if you're just starting on your combatting Asthma journey, frankly so many people are slaves to their inhalers (and yes they do work and if you need to use it, use it as often as you feel it's required), but there are so many things you can do to clear the air around you, the air you intake and and the way you breath that will reduce your symptoms and make you feel far more confident.

Try the book, a few hours investment may change things for the better for you too, and this time next week you may be planning Martha's future with your family instead.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Marthas Mummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
Thanks Purr pals!!!
It started with itchy tubes (ears/throat) and sneezing so I started on antihistamine. They didn't really help much. Then I started getting chesty coughing, short of breath. As had asthma with my other cats, I got an inhaler from docs but had to use it loads before gave me any relief, and then was a bit jittery as used so much!! Now have steroid inhaler and ventolin. I've still not got my symptoms under control and fortunately booked review next Thurs with my GP. I've been keeping her out of the bedroom for a week or so and I feel fine in there, and symptoms not a problem, I also sleep without coughing which I used to do when she was allowed in, but she never slept with me in the night, just came in with me if I was drying my hair and sat on my lap or window cill. At the moment I feel fine, I'm still in bed not chesty or anything. It's in the lounge I can't breathe. I ordered petal cleanse and air cleanse as both had good reviews....am just waiting for them to arrive!!! Ironically Amazon were supposed to deliver yesterday but didn't for some reason!! I wear rubber gloves for the tray and wash her food bowls in hot soapy water with gloves, although I must admit that I was a bit lax for a few weeks and skipped gloves so that may have contributed. I'm now more fastidious again. My vet said they have had good results removing the anal gland in cats who's owners are asthmatic, anyone heard about that?? We are moving overseas in 3 weeks to an island near the beach. If I can hang on she'll be put out all day (after settling in). Which should help. Can't have a cat flap as would have to go into my bedroom!!!! I'll look at air filter and Hepa Hoover as also heard these help. It's just so upsetting given all we've been through with her. Does anyone have any other ideas which may help??
Thank you lovely people
Marthas Mummy

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2015, 23:31:50 PM »

I read somewhere that there are some wipes you can get to help keep the dander down

Petalcleanse applied to a kitchen towel and wiped over the cat daily keeps dander at bay, use in a spray liberally around your environment too and anti-allergenic wipes handy to clean up after petting sessions are a must

That's the stuff, thank you Sheila  ;D
I was going to suggest disposable gloves when emptying the litter tray

Link to CatChat