Author Topic: Worried...  (Read 44057 times)

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
Re: Worried...
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2015, 20:51:23 PM »
I don't suppose anyone has any idea how much a glucose curve would roughly cost? I know it varies but are we talking 10's or 100's?  :sick:

Can only find American costs online. If it's similar to UK, we're probably looking at 60 or 70  8)

I did ask the vet surgery but they weren't sure  >:(

Minty goes in tomorrow morning for one  :P

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »
Loxicam.

Strangely she's alright in the day but in the evening/overnight she's far worse.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2015, 00:59:52 AM »
Thats her cysitits. Have you some Metacam?

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2015, 23:53:01 PM »
A couple of good days but now back to peeing everywhere and trying to toilet  all the time.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2015, 17:24:10 PM »
Minty is lovely  ;D ;D

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2015, 14:47:48 PM »
She is lovely and she doesn't look old in the face at all. She is also fuller figure :wow: Weighs 5.4kg now, was a little higher but is steady weight.

Walks like she's 20 though and she's definitely 20 as we got her and the others in 1994   ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2015, 14:35:17 PM »

D'you know, looking at that photo, she really doesnt look her age.  She'a a beautiful lady. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2015, 14:34:31 PM »
she is lovely, has a very sweet face

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2015, 14:21:45 PM »
Here she is on her chair - not a great pic - she knows what a camera is and tends to shy away from them  8)

I've also been trying to resize to post, so if their are marks all over the pic, it's where i've accidently done something  :briggin: I kept cutting her face off  :sick:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2015, 13:26:09 PM »

And she's fortunate to have you looking after her.   :) :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2015, 13:24:14 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Good read. I think we'll know when it's time. Minty is happy as anything again. It just seems she needs boosts every now and then.

Glad you queried the charges Miroslav. 

Oddly enough, this entry was posted on another blog I follow, yesterday, and I found much of it resonated with me.  It's about trying to define when is the right time to let go, and it may help in any future decision you make.  I'll post it here anyway in case anyone else may find it helpful:

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/dear-pammy-but-my-cat-still-has-good-times/31060

Sending a gentle ear rub for Minty.   :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2015, 07:02:20 AM »
Glad you queried the charges Miroslav. 

Oddly enough, this entry was posted on another blog I follow, yesterday, and I found much of it resonated with me.  It's about trying to define when is the right time to let go, and it may help in any future decision you make.  I'll post it here anyway in case anyone else may find it helpful:

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/dear-pammy-but-my-cat-still-has-good-times/31060

Sending a gentle ear rub for Minty.   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2015, 21:29:43 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2015, 19:21:49 PM »
Well, I took Minty to the vet today and she has Cystitis. Another £63 and next Wednesday she is booked in for a Glucose Curve.

Money is running out so some serious cutting back is needed :shify: I don't do a lot so it's going to need to be downgrading food for a while I think  :sick: Also some extra shifts at work, which I shouldn't do due to my own health - already got a 4 hour shift extra for tomorrow.

It turns out I was charged for two lots of syringes, so picked up the other box today.

The costs are

10 syringes is £4.76, or £14.28 for a box of 30. The Caninsulin is £12.84 for 2.5ml

Hopefully Minty will respond to her antibiotics today and I have some Loxicam to use at home for her as of tomorrow.

The vet did say it is going to be difficult to tell when the time is right for her at the end as she's such a fighter and comes backs from things a lot of cats wouldn't. It's quite remarkable she's still here and generally in a decent state of health/happiness.

I would post a pic but not sure how to take a good pic and then upload it from tablet  >:(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
This is why we do it, because we love them to pieces  :wow:

It is indeed,  creaking and aching bits notwithstanding.   :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2015, 22:07:50 PM »
This is why we do it, because we love them to pieces  :wow:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2015, 21:53:56 PM »
Thats good  ;D

I have a health condition too and used to have to crawk around after Kocka to feed her cos she would only lick food off my finger and then she would move but loved her too pieces

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2015, 20:57:18 PM »
She's urinated on a puppy pad!  :naughty: Finally  :wow:

I do clean up after her, it's just tiring, especially with a health condition of my own. Everything is that much harder - and she seems to pee more than she used to, but maybe that's the diabetes, especially with more drinking etc.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2015, 20:51:47 PM »
I agree with Sue.

Its so sad and know Kocka had accidents at that age but owned my own property and think that even if I hadnt I would have just cleaned up after her.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2015, 17:54:28 PM »
Well, she's pooped upstairs. Didn't even think of doing it downstairs.

I know she's old, but it's  a case of worrying how long she has left.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2015, 17:35:43 PM »
Oh Miroslav, I'm so sorry that this seems to be getting worse.  Unfortunately, I think it may well be a case of age catching up with her, and an element of dementia.

It's really tough when you're in rented accommodation, and I can understand your anxiety.   :(  :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2015, 15:16:55 PM »
She knows. She often sniffs the trays and rarely, but sometimes, uses it.

It's almost like a stand against something.

I just hope we get no permanent house damage from this.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2015, 15:13:18 PM »
20 is a great age, is it possible she just can't remember?

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2015, 14:49:05 PM »
Minty is 20.

Think I may get the syringes online. £10-£11 for 30,  free delivery 2-5 days.

I have forgotten. How old is Minty?

Maybe you need to get a second opinion.

The syringe charge seems well OTT, I know they are special ones but..................

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2015, 14:05:57 PM »
I have forgotten. How old is Minty?

Maybe you need to get a second opinion.

The syringe charge seems well OTT, I know they are special ones but..................

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2015, 13:06:41 PM »
I'm trying all sorts of litter trays but nothing is working.

Since Friday, she's started going wherever she wants  :-[ She's not even trying to get to the right place anymore.

She leaves the living room and pess on the hallway carpet. It's so tiring cleaning up all the time.

I know she can get upstairs, she does it numerous times a day and night.

I swear the vet makes up the prices of syringes. £28.56 for 30 today which isn't even comparable to elsewhere - less than £10 online plus delivery, but not £18 delivery!

I might contact the vet as nearly £1 per syringe sounds a bit OTT.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2014, 14:11:57 PM »
I have a covered litter tray for mine, and all three use it, although I had to dig out a spare when Lily first arrived. I don't think they'd all use the same tray if it wasn't covered.
Similar to this, though if you google "cat litter trays" you'll find many variations:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2014, 14:08:31 PM »
Have a great Christmas , you and Minty  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #178 on: December 24, 2014, 13:18:23 PM »
Sheila - I have some anti bac fairy, so will try that. She does seem to 'miss' the trays even before I disinfect though.

The runners are saving the floors at least. Have to constantly clean them and replace them, but cheaper in the long run.

Rosella - will look into the Johnsons. I tend to just replace the trays often. She has been a bit better since the runners went down. Instead of going in  a 3m squared area, she's kept it to about a metre squared  :-:

Merry Christmas Everyone - my favourite thing this Christmas is having Minty here  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2014, 08:29:49 AM »
I disinfect trays rarely (every few months or so or if obviously needed) but, when I do, I use Johnsons Clean and Safe for litter trays that I get from Pets at Home.  I wouldn't use any human disinfectants as not at all sure they are safe but also due to the smell.  Cats' sense of smell is very much greater than ours and they rely on it a great deal.  I scoop and replace soiled litter as soon as I see it's been used and every so often wipe around the rims of the trays and the cat flap with unperfumed huggies baby wipes.

Could be that it's nothing to do with cleaning her trays though?  These are for you and Minty  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
Just a thought, my lot detest the smell of Dettol, I stopped using disinfectant on the
Utter trays after we had a bout of inappropriate peeing, and now I just scrub them out with blue fairy liquid which contains antibacterial agents. The kids seem much more inclined to use a loo that smells like a loo, if that makes sense?  Ok, your Mum might not approve but it's much cleaner than having to constantly clean the rest of the house right?  ;D

Glad she's happy as Larry, and love that you're doing all you can to keep her that way  :wow:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2014, 19:00:59 PM »
Liz - I will check one out. We have two garden centres close by, so worth a gander.

Dawn - Again, i'll take a look. Minty does that sometimes and it just flies all over the place.

Gill - I tend to take out the areas she's used and replace the litter but also other days replace the whole lot.

lilli - I tend to clean the excess out and then other days replace the whole lot and once a week give her a whole new tray. When I clean I wash with soapy water, then dettol spray them.

I've tried £3.29 ones, £2.39 ones and Poundland ones - different sizes and colours etc. She currently has 4 upstairs. She has peed next to one and pooped about 4 feet away from any tray near the bathroom door - maybe she's asking for big loo? :)

I've looked at Pampers :o I cna get two carpet runners for the same price and I have done so today. I will replace them weekly. They will protect the floorboards a bit more. I will wash anything she does on them and see if we can last the week before I replace them.

Expensive, but it's not forever as she is an oldie and i'll pay it.

Other than this issue, she's doing great and is as happy as Larry. Whoever he is :D

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2014, 16:28:19 PM »
On the same thought line as Gill, although again it may have been mentioned, what do you clean the trays with??? I just clean excess  :censored: off mine and then steam/boil the living daylights out of them.
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2014, 16:14:02 PM »
Another daft idea from me !

Do you totally clean the litter trays? If you do it may help if you dont!! Just take out used litter and leave her smell inside.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:38 AM »
my problem is tilly goes in the tray but pees out backwards without lowering her bottom - we have got a large plastic tray which is actually the base of a dog crate, cost 8.99 and luckily catches everything - not sure if that would help but thought I'd tell you anyway

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
One we have tried is the very high 3 sided tray from garden centres for potting up - it has 3 high sides then a flat entrance so to speak with a slight lip, puppy pad under the front maybe you answer, we have used them in the past for amputees about £10.00 maybe worth a try :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
I'd not thought of it but she doesn't have any issues getting in and out I don't think. I watched her climb in. She just sniffs the clean trays and then decides to do it on the floor beside them. Tried different litters, trays, different sized trays etc, different places, even moved to the middle of the landing where she has been peeing.

I'm going to have to buy or pampers or something and lay them on the whole floor as i'm worried we are getting a leak into the kitchen below through the wallpaper - I really hope not or my Xmas present is eviction and to lose Minty. I am at my wits end now.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2014, 21:54:39 PM »
I don't know of this has been suggested or not, but have you tried a tray like the sort you would carry your dinner on?? She might not be able to get into the litter tray easily??
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2014, 21:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions - nothing is working.

I thought I had it last night - 4 litter trays in a pattern and she climbed in one. Woke up this morning and she'd had a couple more wees on the floor around them .

We are going to get kicked out at this rate.

Cleaning and eliminating the odour is hard work and as soon as I have, she's back at it again!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2014, 00:11:11 AM »
as well as the pads you could try a tray with a raised back, and push the litter towards the back in hopes of encouraging her further into the tray - might work if she still likes to dig

but it does sound as if her spatial awareness is not what it was, and that is unlikely to get any better

my mother's cat had this problem, and I used those cheap cloths on a roll (usually blue or orange) rather than puppy pads, because they rinse out and dry in a trice, and so are much cheaper than the pads
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat