Author Topic: Worried...  (Read 44063 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Worried...
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2014, 14:43:50 PM »
I think it is a dip ttest but maybe wrong  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2014, 14:18:12 PM »
Hopefully they can give me something at home, even if I have to dip in her urine or something.

Tuna wasn't what I wanted but it was in water which makes it better than brine.

She loves chicken but hasn't touched the last two lots. Will have to read the labels to make sure that no added sugar is being used.

Just spoke to the lady vet we have seen although it's the bloke today. She talked about changing insulin levels but won't know until the bloke vet tests her later.

Yes they definately can do this as its the only way of getting the sugar levels right but needs constant monitoring..............seem to think they have something that allows you to do this at home.

Low blood sugar is as bad as high.

Nibbling is good, slow and sure but the amount of food and type of food all affect sugar levels

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2014, 14:03:58 PM »
Yes they definately can do this as its the only way of getting the sugar levels right but needs constant monitoring..............seem to think they have something that allows you to do this at home.

Low blood sugar is as bad as high.

Nibbling is good, slow and sure but the amount of food and type of food all affect sugar levels

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Paws, Dopey, Chubby, Moses & Minty. All in a better place and never forgotten. We'll meet again and be happy together again.
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2014, 13:56:20 PM »
I was wondering if insulin levels could be adjusted. I thought they must be able to.

She's on 1.5 at the syringe level.

I've just got home. She's not eaten any more than from 2.5 hours ago.

In a bit of desperation, although not total desperation as she has been nibbling, i've given her some Tuna in water. She's been having a good go at it for the last 3 or 4 minutes although not much has been eaten.

She is alert though, hence the attempting to eat, so she's not in too bad shape and i'd say better than last night now.

Up and down like a yoyo.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
So very hard but it can take a long time to get unsulin amounts right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sending loads of good wishes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »
Home for my break.

She's eaten a little. I've given her fresh food - a small nibble from her.

She is alert, so that's one good thing.

I just wish we knew what was wrong. Her bloods show her to be healthy, high glucose levels aside.

As she is currently, she's not at a point where I say it's fair to let her go. She's not 100% but there is hope. Compared to Friday and Saturday she's in a good state. It's just a backward step after Sunday and Monday (most of it)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »

Oh Miroslav.  Poor Minty.  It's so very hard when they're increasingly frail.  Will be thinking of you both today.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2014, 06:28:35 AM »
Strange night.

She stayed with me for a bit before leaving the bed. Woke up 4am to an empty room.

She'd made it downstairs in her seat, but she's had a pee and laid in it. Not eaten much if anything, although she is more with it than last night. Nibbled at breakfast, gone back to one of her places.

Better than last night in that she is more with it, but she's restless. Pacing up and down to the litter tray and her water bowl, pacing back to her place and repeats over and over.

So tiring having to wash her all the time. Hopefully she will get better.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2014, 19:37:14 PM »
4.30pm tomorrow

Different vet, but we've seen him before - both main vets there are good.

Now i'm worried as I have work tomorrow - up for Minty's injection then off to work and back home at 2ish.

Luckily, work is 6/7 minutes away and I come home for a few minutes on break to check on her. Always have come home but now do so to check she is ok.

When does she go back to vet to have her sugar levels checked?

At this point in time they need to be monitored closely, dont know if you can do it at home  :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2014, 19:16:40 PM »
When does she go back to vet to have her sugar levels checked?

At this point in time they need to be monitored closely, dont know if you can do it at home  :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2014, 18:46:04 PM »

Yes, I am going too, although the last couple of hours have not been so good.

Minty has pooed in a strange place again and like every time she has done this, she's gone funny.

When I popped out to work for a chat, I was barely an hour.

I have no idea what is going on with her. She's refusing food again now.

Truly baffled.

This sounds good but I would give her a litter tray downstairs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2014, 17:56:05 PM »
This sounds good but I would give her a litter tray downstairs

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2014, 14:58:16 PM »
Didn't think I would need to update so soon, but...

Minty has just climbed the stairs to have a pee.

Very shaky walking up so I stood behind her.

Pee was a bit strange as in it came out in 3 - 4 bursts as opposed to all at once, like she would spray and then hold back. Also was sitting up as per usual when she started but by the end she was almost on her stomach. No cries of pain and not sure if that can be considered normal but can take those thoughts with me to the vet tomorrow.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2014, 14:38:26 PM »
Dawn -  well hopefully the insulin is what is making the difference. It's a better outcome than if it was the brain which has problems as there is no cure.

Sue - I went in on my day off and we had a chat. They saw my side when I said I was off due to anixety and depression due to Minty being ill rather than wording it as I was off because Minty was ill.

Basically it had to be me that was unwell to work, not Minty.

I don't think they are happy, but as everyone in store has had time off for illnesses, notably depression, I think they are accepting it.

I have two jobs and i'd rather the weekend job tell me off than the week job as they are trying to get rid of people as it is, although I have a union rep - and he has had the same illness which can lead to anxiety and depression, as me.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »

Hoping you dont get too much aggravation work-wise Miroslav.  I couldnt agree with you more, but it's added pressure that you really dont need right now.   :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »
that is good news, its true that glucose does go to the brain and almost glues up the synapse which causes confusion once the glucose goes down it improves

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »
Well, Minty is about 80%, possibly more, of the cat she was.

She's urinated where she sits a couple of times. She is not confident going up/down stairs and her litter trays are upstairs.

She's eating a bit less, but she is picking up her food intake. She is eating enough, i'm just used to her out eating me  :rofl:

She's a little more needy. She does appear to be appraoching her old self though.

This has happened twice and she's made it back and the third time is looking ok too. I won't be over celebratory as she is 20 and the end has to come sooner or later, but this one's a fighter.

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2014, 14:19:01 PM »
I guess I will find out Monday but I can get new jobs, I can earn more money but I cannot replace Minty.

I'm very easy to get on with but i'm also someone who has my say when required and I don't back down when pushed.

Having lost a child, the feelings are different in many ways, yet so similar in others. A bereavement is a bereavement.

Since then, I don't particularly like children, or more so, parents. I am inclined to tell the bosses who have kids, should they get funny with me, that I feel the same way about children as they do pets. I think I may seek advice from  my union rep first though.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »
hope you are not in too much trouble, why is it that some cant understand that cats are like looking after a child!

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
Well, hopefully this is the answer then as balance and confusion have been problems.

I'll keep a close eye on her as i've taken the weekend off work, even though a phonecall this morning tells me i'm in trouble on Monday  :sick:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
I am a diabetic and dont think insulin affects the brain at all but lack of can affect balance, confusion, not being with it and other stuff cos your body is overloaded with sugar

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
Well, the vet seems to think the insulin is only a small part of it and her brain is the biggest worry.

How much insulin can affect her brain, I don't know, but if it is this that is making the difference, i'm more than happy to inject her twice a day. It's not as scary as I thought.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
Maybe the insulin is starting to work?

Sending loads of good vibes for a continued improvement  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »
Thanks Jiji

Well, she is eating and drinking, responding and has now just started mewwing.

Even in the 6 hours of this morning their has been a vast improvement.

I'm not getting too carried away but I am delighted with her fighting spirit (as per usual). She won't give up that's for sure.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »
My thoughts are with you and Minty  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »
Don't worry, I intend too.

Pretty poor night.

Took her to bed. Carrier on the left side of the bed. I put chicken and wet food just outside (I realise the cleanign I now have to do) she sniffed the chicken and had a small nibble at the food, but that was it.

She then climbed out of the carrier, stepping through her food and slumped on my shoulder and remained there/right beside my head, all night. Virtually out of it the whole time.

A little movement this morning, but hardly anything.

I brought her downstairs this morning. She nibbled at some food and has had an insulin injection. She is awake-ish as opposed to being zonked but nothing to write home about.

It's a case of monitoring her now and taking each section of the day bit by bit.

How I miss her mewwing. Not a sound from her.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2014, 20:52:38 PM »
Every moment is special ith her treasure all of them  :hug: :hug:

Pleased she is home and hope she picks up

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2014, 19:33:49 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

Ok, Minty is home. She has been given the next 2-3 days to improve. If she doesn't, it will be the kind thing to let her go.

I have a number to call over the weekend and Monday my surgery is open. Tuesday is D-Day as long as nothing bad has happened in the meantime.

She's with it for a short time and then zones out again. We returned 30 mins ago, she hasn't left her carrier, she's just permantly zonked at the moment. She sniffed her pillow when she returned, but not tempting enough to come out.

I was shown how to give her insulin and I am comfortable with it She will need two shots a day - 6am and 6pm, so no lay ins for me  :sick:

I was also told Minty has been aggressive each time she has stayed at the vets - it's Halloween not April, Fools? Minty is less aggressive than a money spider. She obviously doesn't like the vet! Vet didn't mind though she's used to it and she'd rather her be aggressive than the state she is in now.

I have the time off work, so Sat-Mon I am off.

Take each minute by minute. I was 50/50 as to what to do, but speaking to about 4/5 vet staff it was decided to keep her going as she is having more good moments than overnight/this morning, so maybe...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2014, 19:07:18 PM »
So very hard with elderly cats and am sending Minty lots of good vibes and these for you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2014, 14:51:30 PM »
Miroslav and Minty :hug: I hope that the moment you are dreading has not yet arrived.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2014, 14:36:48 PM »
Thinking of you both today Miroslav, and hoping that you dont have to make that decision just yet.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2014, 14:28:57 PM »
that is a lot to take in  :hug:  glucose can take a while to come down, well in people anyway so don't give up all hope yet

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2014, 14:16:32 PM »
We're back....or was it just me that was locked out? :innocent:

I did email the vet with a ful lengthy description as to what happened for 36 hours or so, just so she knew the full details as I tend to forget things.

Anyway, it's not good.

I took her in. Minty was in a world of her own and her glucose levels were sky high. They now accept she is diabetic.

The vet took her home last night so she could keep an eye on her, and inject her insulin.

She phoned this morning and she has picked up sugar level wise. Unfortunately, Minty was still on another planet with little/no idea of anything going on around her. We chatted and one of the options was to let Minty go. Not definite, but 50/50.

I phoned back moments ago as i've just finished work and Minty has picked up since this morning. She has shown signs of being more aware and she has nibbled at some food. She is still spaced out, but their is an improvement. She is on a glucose drip at the moment.

I go to the vets at 3.45 to discuss options. I'm off to the GP shortly to discuss being given the weekend off work. I am very low and i'll be even lower if I lose her tonight. Even if I don't lose her tonight, I want what may a last weekend with her. I will make the right choice by Minty, regardless of this. If today is the right day for Minty, then so be it. If she does survive I will need to learn how to inject her daily. One option is to have a brain scan, but the vet said at 20, it would be unfair and I agree.

Trying to work without tears was very tough. Minty is a fighter only this time she cannot have steroids to help her due to the insulin.

I'll update later.

This forthcoming Monday will be five years since I lost my Dopey.  I hope I will be honouring her life and Minty will still be here.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:38 AM »
It's possible that when her seratonin levels fall in the winter months she suffers in some way - much as certain people can be prone to seasonal afffective disorder, but I guess it's so much more difficult to diagnose what may be affecting a  cat's mental health, as degenerative brain changes may be the cause too, and naturally you cant easily ascertain whether that's the primary cause of her symptoms.  Minty, bless her heart, is an absolutely splendid old age for a cat - she'd be over 100 now in human terms.  I'd mention your observations to your vet, as it may give them a clue as to what is going on. 

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2014, 07:27:13 AM »
It's strange as it was November 2012 that she first had an issue and then Janaury this year, and now late October.

Could it be seasonal? She's warm as far as i'm aware.

She has a problem in her head, I don't think their is any doubt, but it appears to get worse this time of year.

Just given her a good brushing and she was purring, which was nice to hear. She does love a good brush.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2014, 07:16:46 AM »

No treasure, we never are.  Ever.   :hug: :hug:

It does sound like she may have a form of dementia or cognitive problem, which is episodic, especially night-time restlessness.  In humans dementia often gets worse with the advent of evening or nightfall.

Good luck with the vet call, and sending positive thoughts for you both.  :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2014, 07:07:58 AM »
Morning Sue.

Strange night.

She didn't want to be on the bed at first last night, choosing to be on her own. Then she came and laid with me before waking me up in the middle of the night wanting more food - eating some - standing in it, laying in it, wanting more, doing the same before I cleaned her off and she found her spot on the bed again.

She then proceeded every couple of minutes to move a few millimetres across the bed until about an hour later she got to the end and decided to get up and have a wander.

She went to her litter tray area, before I heard her stumbling down the stairs - she doesn't appear to be very strong, although she can walk but a little wobbly. I shot out of bed and she pooped at the bottom of the stairs where their is no litter tray (yesterday she did it in the kitchen!) before her usuall mewwing and me lifting her into her seat in the living room where she's had two lots of food in the last 45 minutes and lots of whimp-erish mewwing which only stops when I stroke her.

She's currently laying in her chair where she has her water and her chest is in the water. She's gone back to the stage where she knows where things are, but doesn't, if you see what I mean.

She's kind of acting like she was when she had the strokes/episodes but is a little more with it, but also has the physical sickness - hasn't vomited for about 24 hours though.

If the vet doesn't call me, i'll be calling them.

Even though I know she is old, i'm not at all prepared to lose her, but then we never are, are we.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2014, 06:59:23 AM »
Morning Miroslave.  What sort of night have you and Minty had?  I would've been annoyed too, and hoping that you can speak with the vet today.   :hug:

Offline Miroslav

• Senior Cat
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2014, 21:26:20 PM »
Minty's not good today.

Was sick this morning. Then she ate as normal throughout the day, but this evening has gone into the mode she was in when she had her strokes/episodes. Weak on her feet and generally not really with it mentally.

Contacted vet earlier and never got back to me before closing, so not only am I very worried, i'm also very annoyed.

Early night tonight so can be with her and will see how we are overnight.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2014, 18:57:33 PM »
Happy birthday ti Minty  ;D

Link to CatChat