Author Topic: 4 week old kittens  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: 4 week old kittens
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
Right, kittens need to be in a bed that has a low side so that they can explore the world at their own pace. Never throw food into bed, kitten bed should be scrupulously clean,yes in the wild mum would take bits of freshly killed rabbit etc to the nest but this isnt in the wild.  Litter tray needs to be put very close to bed and kittens encouraged to use it once they start moving about;you do this by gently placing kitten in tray and using bit of cotton wool or kitchen towel to stimulate them to go (gently rub their bits).
food wise mum should be fed near the nest and kittens out of curiousity should go to food.
Please remember once kittens leave the nest they are fragile and get underfoot always walk with a slither rather than a step.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »
Over on Teresa's Paws Inn Updates thread she's currently raising some three week old kittens who've had to be taken away from Mum due to calcium deficiency.

Teresa is giving them lapping lessons which seem to resemble smimming lessons! She's using HiLife Kitten blended into a creamy soup.

Not sure about moving them about though, hope someone with experience can answer that one.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 00:19:36 AM »
I've read about making a 'meaty milkshake' - kitten milk mushed up with wet kitten food  :sick:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 23:52:39 PM »
Sorry cant help and hope that someone else will  :hug:

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
4 week old kittens
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 22:47:56 PM »
Narlas kittens are 4 weeks today she is leaving them more now and they are still in great health but how and when do I start the intro of food I have tried putting a bit of wet in there basket which they are still in but they arnt interested and do I move them into some thing they can get in and out of now do i introduce a litter pan now, need a bit of help any advice i would be greatfull of  ;D thanks

Link to CatChat