Author Topic: Facebook help needed!  (Read 6616 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Facebook help needed!
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
Glad everything is going well with the site!! Here is a link of another Cat Rescue on FB I joined. I live no where near Shropshire but still......

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Shropshirecatrescue

There are loads of ideas for you. They are currently offering for a £5 donation to be entered into a draw for a Farrari Driving Experience Day - so things like that are good for fund raising.
You can use the large space near your profile pic to add a super large pic of your cat of the week and any little furr babies you wish to promote or need sponsors for, things like that  ;D

Everyones right, you dont get notifications everytime you comment on a post unless we've commented too. Depending on the settings each person has for the group, they may get something to say someone else in the group has posted but usually, unless its you it doesnt appear in our news feed.

I hope that you start to get some forever homes for your tribe and some much needed funding too!  :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »
I think it depends on the settings of each individual facebook user, in your facebook profile you can choose which activity you wish to see,  you can also request to be notified when you are tagged in a photo so that you can approve content before it appears on your feed.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 01:50:45 AM »
Thanks Bronagh, I was worried about people getting fed up if every time I replied to a comment they hadn't been involved in they got it on their feed so that's good to know it won't show up  ;D

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
Hey Helen
No, that won't appear on everyone's feed. It woulc come up as a notification on my account if I had also commented on the post. Otherwise, I would never know.  ;D
Bronagh
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 01:20:17 AM »
Can I ask, when someone posts a comment on the wall eg a nice man posted somthing like 'excellent work you do, will share' and I replied 'thanks, much appreciated' - does that type of 'update' eg me just replying to a comment go in everyone's feed?  I know if I post a new 'update' eg a new cat ready for rehoming it will but wasn't sure if replying to comments did too? As I said I'm not on FB myself so not sure how it all works on a personal level  :shy:

Anyone know the answer to this?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 00:58:07 AM »
 :thanks: all, am quite please how it's coming along - just need some homes now!

Knew we'd get you on Facebook one way or another Helen  :evillaugh:
Now make a personal profile  ;)

Nooooooooo  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 21:24:42 PM »
Liked and shared.  Will do a bit of cross posting to raise publicity for you ;-)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 21:17:12 PM »
Knew we'd get you on Facebook one way or another Helen  :evillaugh:
Now make a personal profile  ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 21:09:23 PM »
Helen has done a wondeful job and lots of us are sharing the page and spreading the news of a rather special place  ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 19:41:02 PM »
I dont do Facebook but have looked at the work Helen has put in to producing a brilliant Paws Inn page and am amazed at her achievements within a couple of days and also so very grateful to her for helping us.
I am also grateful that people take time to read about us.
Thank you Helen and all who believe in us and our wonderful recues. :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 15:21:53 PM »
tbh I have no clue how Fb works anymore cos they keep changing it and havent seen your page or a link to it come up anywhere! I did share it too but no sign of that.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 02:41:15 AM »
Thanks Sarah, my intention is to update on a fairly regular basis (stealing the updates from here and maybe the odd bit of 'hot of the press' news) but not be adding to it 24/7 so as to annoy people who have it coming through in their feed.

Can I ask, when someone posts a comment on the wall eg a nice man posted somthing like 'excellent work you do, will share' and I replied 'thanks, much appreciated' - does that type of 'update' eg me just replying to a comment go in everyone's feed?  I know if I post a new 'update' eg a new cat ready for rehoming it will but wasn't sure if replying to comments did too? As I said I'm not on FB myself so not sure how it all works on a personal level  :shy:

Am working on the donate button, good idea  :thanks:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 02:04:13 AM »
I have liked your page ;D it's looking really rather dapper seing as you're new to facebook  ;D

You may find that you have more scope if you make a Group rather than a page?? When I am not on on my phone I'll post some links of other rescue pages so you can get an idea of how they have things and the types of things you might find useful  :)

One site i joined, puts up lost and found cats as they come in and also rehoming but only a few at a time so people don't feel like you post to much. You can also add donations link to your site and do little competitions to fundraise. I'll also post your link on Jackson galaxy's page, go global. You'd be amazed at people's generosity for our furry friends. It'll give you some ideas at least  ;D
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
Helen you need to put the word cat in your search facility then share with everyone takes a bit of time but is doable I know sarah at Sunny Harbour got a lot of votes and it helped her win the prize of £5000 you just have to be bold and fearless ;D

The problem I'm having that as it's a facebook 'page' rather than a person there doesn't seem to be a search option. I only found and liked CatChat as it was liked on somebody elses page that I was able to click directly on. Oh well, still learning and it seems to be going OK so far!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 06:11:32 AM »
Helen you need to put the word cat in your search facility then share with everyone takes a bit of time but is doable I know sarah at Sunny Harbour got a lot of votes and it helped her win the prize of £5000 you just have to be bold and fearless ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 00:32:43 AM »
 :thanks: all

55 likes already  :wow:

I'm going to see if there is a way of making the website link more prominent. Other than that I'll try to keep it updated fairly regularly and fingers crossed some homes come of it :crossed:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:19 PM »
Have liked it and am sharing it fairly frequently. (Enough to get it noticed, not so much people will get sick of seeing it on their feeds. ;) ) Glad to see Paws Inn on FB; it's proven invaluable to a lot of "poundie" helpers getting rescue spaces for both cats and dogs.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
So there is, I found it, all the same it would be a good idea to put multiple links in so that they can be found easily, and look into if it is possible to get a donate button on the actual facebook page?
42 'likes' now  ;D

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »
Hi all - there is a link to the actual website under the 'about' information. X
I'll love you forever

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »
Just 'liked' and will share on my page as well
love
Tab

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
I've just had a look and it seems to be coming on nicely 41 'likes' now!
You could do with finding a way to get a link on there to the actual Paws inn Website - you might get some donations in that way.
Well done with the good work so far  :hug: hope it helps find some great forever homes.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 23:47:09 PM »
 :thanks: Bronagh  :) I better restrain myself from posting toooo much on there then as people may get put off by the constant posts appearing on their wall  :shy:

The main aim of the page is really to try and get homes so will regularly update the album of cats needing homes at the same time as the Paws Inn and Cat Chat sites  :)

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 23:38:10 PM »
When you post, a new message appears on the wall of whomever has liked the page.
Oh, and you can call me Bronagh! Lilli is naturally a cat!
I'll love you forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 23:28:28 PM »
Thanks emmmy-lou, that's a good idea - will mention it to Teresa when she's feeling better.

I'm starting to think this could be a problem though, it's a little addictive and I keep feeling the need to check back and see if we have any more 'likes'  :scared: (33 at the moment  :wow: )

Can those who have liked the page tell me what happens when I make a new post - do you get a notification of that or do you only see the new updates when you look at the page itself?

Still haven't figured out how to post on any other pages yet but I'm sure it's possible as other pages have done it  :doh:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 20:40:30 PM »
I have liked but am miles away from you...

If you have a data base of emails you can send them the link and ask them to `like` it

I bought from an ebay shop months ago and she emailed last week asking if i would like her Facebook shop. I did even tho i never realised Facebook shops even existed!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 20:34:44 PM »
Kelly Joy would be a place to start she has a page for their forum and if you type in Rescue Helpers Unite they have a page as well both have good followings

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 20:32:28 PM »
Thanks mad_lilli (feel rude calling you that but it's your username!  :evillaugh: ) - that would be fab. With regards the Animal Friends prize, Paws Inn is completely self funding and relies on donations to help keep it going but it's not a registered charity so wouldn't be eligible for the competition.

The main aim of the facebook page is to raise awareness and ultimately find homes so any sharing is much appreciated  :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 20:18:05 PM »
I don't know either, but I am happy to share it onto any page you want!  I've put it onto the Animal Friends insurance page - has Paws ever been up for the rescue of the month thing, like Haworth & Sunny Harbour?
I'll love you forever

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 20:17:39 PM »
Aww thanks Nicki but I think there must be a way, I've had a look at a few other rescue pages and they have 'liked' other pages. Just need to get to grips with it! If needed I can always unleash my Tiggy's Mum account  :naughty:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 20:10:23 PM »
No idea, but if you can't I will pm you my login if you like?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 19:56:35 PM »
  :wooooo: :thanks: Nickynoo & mad_lilli - at this rate it will be up and running in no time  :wow:

Does anyone know, as a 'page' can I post to other pages too or do I need to be a person to do that?

Liked and shared on FB. I'm not in your part of the country, but it still helps to raise the profile.

Yes indeed, I guess with the nature of FB people will have friends all over the UK too so  :thanks: and  :welcome: to Purrs

Thank you for the welcome.  FB is great for publicity.  I joined a group on it which was publicising a stolen dog and the following just grew and grew.  Happily, she was found quickly after that - possibly dumped by the thieves because of the publicity.

I must admit I'm not on it myself (apart from a dummy account I have so my cats could join catbook  :-[ ) but it is absolutely immense in this day and age and anything is worth a go to try and get some homes for the cats at Paws Inn. Look at things like the 'Cat in the Bin (Mary Bale)' last year, without facebook that might have made the local news but it went international due to the following on facebook. Very pleased to hear the dog was found safe and well  :)

Offline Kitkat4me

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 19:52:07 PM »
Liked and shared on FB. I'm not in your part of the country, but it still helps to raise the profile.

Yes indeed, I guess with the nature of FB people will have friends all over the UK too so  :thanks: and  :welcome: to Purrs

Thank you for the welcome.  FB is great for publicity.  I joined a group on it which was publicising a stolen dog and the following just grew and grew.  Happily, she was found quickly after that - possibly dumped by the thieves because of the publicity.

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 19:51:11 PM »
And Mervyn has liked it!
I'll love you forever

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 19:50:01 PM »
Errrrm - posted on Purrs FB and trying to post on feel good park -  :wow:
I'll love you forever

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 19:49:49 PM »
I will like and share, and will get my Your Cat friends to do the same, they are all over the country.

Nicky

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 19:47:49 PM »

Offline Kitkat4me

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Oscar
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 19:43:19 PM »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 19:41:12 PM »
Hmmn, as it's a page rather than a person i don't think I can search for other groups - at least I can't find how to do it!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 19:39:13 PM »
That would be me   ;) I've also posted the page to my wall.

That's fab, our first official liker  :wow:  :thanks:

Liked and Shared perhaps posting it to Purrs forum on Facebook as a link would help to Mervyn is your Man for that ;D

:thanks: Liz - I get what 'liking' does but what do you mean by 'shared'? How does sharing work?

Oooh, we have a third mystery liker already  :wow: Off to try and find the Purrs facebook  :scared:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 19:34:57 PM »
Liked and Shared perhaps posting it to Purrs forum on Facebook as a link would help to Mervyn is your Man for that ;D

Link to CatChat