Author Topic: Helppppppppp Have a huge little problem  (Read 17442 times)

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
Re: Helppppppppp Have a huge little problem
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2010, 13:32:08 PM »
 :hug:  Rolo was on Bisolven when he had mucas on his chest, Worked wonders for him, just hope it does the same
for Ducha x

Am sure kitten will find a wonderful forever home x
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2010, 13:30:50 PM »
Oh Gill.  Am also so sorry that she is not chipped.   What sort of dry kitten food did they give you?  Groucho doesn't like the felix kitten wet pouches I tried him with but will eat RC dry kitten food so I mix that the wet adult food and he eats it OK.  He seems to be fine on it.  He does try hard to get his mits on the adult dry but the one time I allowed that he got the trots which was not nice  :sick:

Has she been wormed and treated for fleas?  I assume Richard said she was healthy enough?

She will need to be spayed before too long.  Are you in touch with CP?  Sorry if you've said already but I'm thinking about voucher for spaying altho I'm sure you'll hope to have rehomed her within 2 months  :hug:  It doesn't always work that way though so best be prepared.  Oh dear.  I am probably completely winding you up  :-[   :hug: :hug:  Don't mean to honest  :-[

Am keeping everything crossed for the stunningly gorgeous Ducha and hope he can shake this off quickly poor lamb  :care: :care:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2010, 13:13:45 PM »
I am so sorry that this poor little girl didn't have a chip and isn't being missed by someone - poor you Gill, I know its the last thing you need
at the moment  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2010, 13:12:05 PM »

Oh Gill that's good news you got there and back safely and without mishap.  And so she is a girl - she does look very feminine - very like Miss Noni Baroni.  Lushussness is to blossom, I suspect.   :)  4 months old.  Poor baby, being out in all that cold and snow.

Am hoping the jab makes Ducha feel much better very soon.  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2010, 13:06:14 PM »
Thank you all wonderful people  ;D ;D

Just back from vets and Pussy is female and 4 months, no chip.

They gave me some kitten biscuits but afraid she has had better and went and devoured Sasas fish breakfast, cos Sasa was out playing in the snow......sigh..

I am told that she should be on kitten food but wondering if she will eat it after having adult food............what do you think?

Her tummy has a limit and once its full now she stops eating, thank goodness.

Richard is so good at handling cats and kittens and she was putty in his hands but happy to get back into the carrier..................corrrrrr had a big fight to get her in and she got our twice before I could slam the door, She then sulked at the back of the carrier!!

Ducha couldnt sing all the way cos his voice has virtually gone and I think it hurts to sing, so the car was nice and peaceful and could concentrate driving.

Richard says not much can be done for Ducha cos this has a life span of two weeks but has had a convenia jab to make sure he gets no seconadary infections. Bisolven in his food to break down rhe mucas and wait........sigh

Its been such a strain for Pussy she is now snoozing on the cat tree..................she should be so lucky!

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
Ferals and tamed ferals will hide under things if in strange surroundings and would not come for food when you are there or are very cautious when doing it and watching you constantly.

Oh yes! Suki was running semi-wild on a farm when they spotted the limp and trapped her prior to rescuing... while she's the biggest lap-cat going (well she prefers to sit across your chest, tail rammed up your nostril for maximum attention to be honest), if she's at ALL scared about anything - someone new coming to the house, my mother coming (there's an obsessional mutual hatred thing going on between the pair of 'em), or if we've moved - she'll find a hidey hole and you won't see her for hours at the best, days at the worst.

I've learnt the hard way and do a sweep of the house for hidey holes before releasing the cat when we move since I've had to extract her from halfway up the chimney, under a fitted cooker and under kitchen cupboards before. The other thing is if she DOES get out she won't ever ever come in response to being called - you have to leave a door open, wait for the stomach to get the better of her and then trap her back in the house - it's like she completely loses the plot altogether. Apart from that you'd never know this one's sleeping rough roots - but she's a very very very self-centred cat who sussed out she was onto a good thing if she played the human game to perfection!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2010, 12:37:09 PM »
I think you've just acquired yourself a right little madam. 

Me too........    :)

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
Just here to wish you good luck with the vet visit but I expect I'm too late for that.  :doh:

I don't think Pussy is feral either, as others have said she wouldn't have come on your knee first night if she was.  Yes you may have spooked her but not too badly or she wouldn't then have sat with her back to you.  Frightened cats like to keep an eye on the enemy.  I think you've just acquired yourself a right little madam.  :hug:

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
Awww kitty is gorgeous & so lucky to have found you.

Hope you feel better soon & good luck at the vets x x

(wish a kitten would find this house, we have an older cat who walks in for a fuss, food & warmth.
It lives in the street but out in the cold alot)
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2010, 09:42:08 AM »
Just a quickie Gill to wish you look at vets and to say Groucho has had a habit of climbing up our dressing gowns on bedroom door and balancing precariously on top of door.  It's a bit of a worry as we need to try and remember to look before opening the door  :shify:  He loves high up places and def not a feral boy.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:06 AM »
Best of luck at the vets Gill :hug:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »
Brilliant advice from Ellen :)

I'd also say deffo not feral or even semi feral. She sounds like a darling in comparison to Tyson and TT. Deffo ignore when she is naughty and don't be worried about the up high thing as that is normal, cats feel safer in high up places. What Ellen said abotu eye contact is also very important. She has only been with you for a few days so is probably still trying to suss you out.

You may have to pick her up by the scruff of the neck if she won't go into the carrier of her own accord. I know you don't do that with the big guys but with her still being a kitten and more used to her mum doing it she should be ok. It also means she will keep still. I stil have to scruff Marble to ger her in a carrier as its the only way she will go in and without me getting hurt.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2010, 07:08:44 AM »

Gill, just wanted to say good luck with your vet visit today, especially with your little hiss-spit.  I also wanted to say, please look after yourself too.   :hug: :hug: 

Ellen - a lot of interesting info there, and it sounds very sensible and logical.   I know I'd be very confused with a kitten as it's been such a long time since we had one of our own, and the only time I looked after a friend's for a fortnight, he was an absolute darling - a little black and white ball of fun and mischief who fitted into the family situation without a hitch.  (Well, apart from waking us up in the middle of the night with commando style attacks on our toes  :doh:)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2010, 02:54:25 AM »
Thank you Ellen that is very helpful  :hug:

Yes I agree I may have spooked her cos had to stop her jumping up there.

Didnt think about food being a reward for bad behaviour but you are right, I must train her not the other way round  :shify: :shify:

A lot of sense in everything you say and will read again tomorrow after the vet visit.

Most appreciated and now bed calls  ;D

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2010, 02:14:02 AM »
Gill with you not knowing her history it could just be a case of she had little human contact and therefore any sudden movement can send them on a hissy fit as such.  It could be that she was in a home with young children that used to just grab her and pull her about and spook her if she was asleep and could be another reason she is looking for a high place.

As for her taking a while to calm down some cats just have attitude and when they are in that mood it is best to leave them until they are ready and she will come to you.  Try to avoid direct eye contact with her as with cats this can be seen as a sign of aggression towards them and if your eyes do meet just blink slowly as this tells the cat you are not a threat.  Cats normally like high places to get out of the way or to be able to see what is going on around them more easily.  I would say she is mainly exploring her domain and looking around at all different layers.  If she is grumbling less when Franta is about it could be that she is beginning to settle down with them and accept that they live there as well.  I would take that as a positive sign.  In all honesty I think you may have spooked her slightly or she could have gone in a mood as she never got her own way to get on top of the cd rack.  Be careful of giving her food when she is attacking as Pussy (Rosie) will see it as a reward for the behaviour, in those instances just walk away from her and totally ignore her and she will learn that the behaviour is not acceptable.

If she was a feral or semi tamed feral she would not of come on your knee the first night and paddled (kneaded) on you as I have two tamed ferals and neither particularly like the knee but will come and lay down next to me, one for belly rubs and the other for kisses to the top of the head, but bear in mind these are 7 year old and 12 year old cats that have been with me from being about 3 or 4 months old.  Ferals and tamed ferals will hide under things if in strange surroundings and would not come for food when you are there or are very cautious when doing it and watching you constantly.  Some cats also detest being picked up and can go on a major mood offensive if you try and have one that is like that but he came from a home where the person allowed her 3 year old to drag them around and carry them about and they were sort of bear hugged under the front legs and back legs dangling.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »
The little problem is indeed huge grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have just seen a terrified and possibly feral reaction from Pussy............I dont know if she has been mistreated or is a feral who is partly tamed but she has since last night been eyeing up the highest place in the room and have just had to clock it up to stop her getting hurt.

I know there is a gap behind the cd tower and if she was to leap onto it she is likely to fall down the back in a very small place and with pipes at the bottom.

I was watching her and she was ready to pounce  so got to her as quick as I could and she reacted really badly.  She tried to attack me and was hissing and moaning but also scared later when I moved to try and stroke her. I have cleared a little space on a shelf next to the tower and she has leaped from top of cat tree into that but it wasnt big enough or high enough for what she wanted, so she leapt back.

She is currently lying with her back to me on the cat tree!!

I distracted her with food from her attacking behavior but am really worried about her tonight.

Having no experience with kittens I dont know if I scared her, she reacts to no but not to changes of voice , like soft and trying to calm her. Once upset it carries on cos Franta came for a cuddle and she was lying on the lap top and he was on me and hey were only about 18inches apart and she was moaning but not as much and Franta has no interest in her....................or is he playing it crafty. I love him for being so cool  8)

She wriggled about on the lappy and lost me my cursor and has taken forever to get it working again.

I am very worried how I am going to get Pussy in a carrier tomorrow and how she will behave in a car with another cat who is likely to shout all the way.

She is friendly but only on her terms and there is a really hostile/scared side to her. I feel she only sees humans as mother cats and feeding machines and apart from that she doesnt like them very much.

She wants to be on high which I think is normal and the higher the better, especially if its above my head, think she feels safer.

Its maybe all a reaction to her being young and in a new experience but no clue what to do to try to reassure her. Her hostilty probably is going to be massive after being in a carrier in a car and with another cat.

I would love to hear your views on what I can try to help her but dont think I will be on before I go to vets tomorrow.

Wish me luck.......sigh

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2010, 16:44:58 PM »
Sorry to read you are unwell yourself, Gill.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2010, 11:55:51 AM »
She's stunning and appears to have firmly moved in.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »
Thanks for the info souflee  :hug:

You have answered one question for me that hadnt asked yet which is about biscuits for kittens.

Pussy has now filled that hole in her tummy and last night couldnt quite finish her food and she is not drinking now either.

Sadly cant get her to vets today as I am now too ill and also need to get Ducha to vets cos he has become much worse overnight.

I dont really want them in the car together but as its a 40 mile drive they are going to have to go together tomorrow hopefully. Abs for me are going to be delivered later today.

I just dont need Pussy to catch what Ducha and Franta have had.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
It depends on the size of your kitten how much they need. Our kittens each weigh just over 2kg and fit in a 12 can coke box to weight  :shocked:
They have about 2 sachets a day each of whiskas kitten food plus a dish of purina kitten biscuits. It is spread over about 4 meals and they are always willing to eat!
They only have water.
Watch you kitten is not older and comes into season. Is it a male or a female?
It is a lovely kitten anyway and looks about 4 months old to me at least. Maybe it was getting to big for the owner so they threw it out though if it is a MC cross these are quite expensive so it could well be lost having sneaked out. Our kittens are not meant to go out till they are neutered and have not been out but they would LIKE to go out very much!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2010, 07:05:37 AM »

How's your huge ilttle problem this morning Gill?   ;D

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2010, 01:07:08 AM »
She looks like a Gloria to me, a glamour puss  :Luv:

Kittens do eat a lot, there's a lot of growing to do and she looks like she could be a big Gloria. They recommend 4 meals a day. On the odd occasion when I've had kittens they've have had up to 4 pouches a day plus biscuits. They haven't always eaten everything put down but it's there if they want it. Plus she might be worrying where ther next meal will be coming from. One of mine still gulps down any and all food he finds and he's been with me for over a year now. Until the vet says otherwise just let her eat.

Good luck
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:08:22 AM by Pudding »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 23:33:31 PM »
Know the feeling  :hug: I get that with all my animals. Always have lol. Memphy will try to get into anything if my back is turned. Had no idea cats did that sort of thing until he came along. It's a good sign a cat is at home!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 23:28:32 PM »
She was licking inside of the tray and I removed it as soon as I saw what she was doing, much to her disgust.

She thinks anything I am carrying contains food........sigh

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 23:23:28 PM »
Gill, please go easy with what you allow her to eat  :hug: Your Moussaka would contain onion which is highly toxic. I know she would have probably only eaten a bit, but best to be safe than sorry  :hug:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 23:11:48 PM »
When I first got Marble as a teeny kitten she hissed and growled sooooo much at Bourneville. I never thought she would like him plus it was so funny to see cos she was so small and he was so big...she was a bolshey and brave little thing. In the end they worked it out and of course she ended up being top cat lol! Worried the life out of me though.

Was lucky with Soap, she didn't do any of that. She just came in and wanted to play with everyone straight away bless her :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2010, 23:04:09 PM »
I cant cook at all LOL, the mousaka was from M&S and just love it  ;D

OK I made the omlete   :-[

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2010, 22:50:41 PM »
She will eat absolutely anything LOL, helped herself last night to my omlete and tonight to my mousaka.

I would help myself to those given half a chance, I bet you are a stonking cook.  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2010, 22:31:57 PM »
Thanks Rosella, she seems to breather faster than that and is not particularily active..............I so want to get her to the vets.

Apart from purring she makes no noise unless like last night another cat walks in and then she moans and moans and swishes her tail and if like Franta who had a cuddle for a while , she hissed and hated me too for a very long time and she just kept moaning.

She has fully used the tray now and is a digger and a coverer and have had to change to a big tray cos she was kicking the litter out.

She will eat absolutely anything LOL, helped herself last night to my omlete and tonight to my mousaka.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2010, 19:09:57 PM »
I found this on kitten breathing Gill although not sure how reliable it is  :-:

http://www.askthecatdoctor.com/kittens-breathing.html

If it's any help Groucho does seem to breath faster than Noni.  Groucho is also what me mom would call a complete "gorb"  :evillaugh:  He is now on 2 pouches a day plus a plate of chicken plus a generous handful of RC kitten biscuits and any treats he can worm out of us.  He is always trying to eat others' fud esp Freddie's.  Nothing gets left down here.  He is fed alone and not let out till others have finished. 

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2010, 18:38:14 PM »
 :hug: You are having a stressful week. I was giggling away at 'Pussy power', methinks she is intent on establishing herself as top cat with both humans and felines! Faster breathing may mean she is simply taking in addtional oxygen which is needing for energy production; metabolism is faster in youngsters as growth and development are energy-hungry processes. She will see the vet soon enough.  :hug:
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 17:30:40 PM »
 :thanks: Ann

Now what we up to in the food stakes today.........2 pouches , half an 85 mg tin of tuna and shrimp and some biscuits but she is not keen on the biscuits I have,,,,,,,,,,that maybe 2 1/2 pouches , have lost track sighhhhhhhhhhhh

I wish she would stop peaking at me when I think she is asleep LOL

Well 3 mins to go and still no bloomin courier and another lost day,,,,,,,,,,,,,they wont take any calls and City Link seem to be in total chaos, even the phone number in the email is wrong.

Ups were bang on and an item picked up in Essex yesterday arrived around 1400

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 17:04:48 PM »
Gill my Luna, aged 5 months,  eats like a horse. She currently has two pouches a day plus quite a bit of Hobbes' wet that she pinches plus she eats kitten dry and has a nibble on the adult dry too. Always a clean bowl and I swear she would eat me if she got a chance. When I first got her she was on 4 meals a day of half a pouch plus dry and is now down to 3 times a day but the dry is always down for her. She also gets a few dreamies and temptations and pinches Hobbes' if he's not quick enough  :rofl: It's always amazing how much such a little thing can put away  :Crazy:

Not sure about the breathing but will check to see if she breathes quicker than Hobbes does, handy having the two of them so I can do a comparison for you.

Pussy is  :Luv2: by the way - oh and Luna was the one hissing at Hobbes for the first few days, her language was choice for one so young  :rofl: but she loves him now.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2010, 16:27:44 PM »
The one at Burry Port will not accept its not her cat.......poor lady but it just isnt.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2010, 16:15:28 PM »

She doesn't look so sad from those piccies, Gill.   :)

But sad for the people who're looking for their lost cats, I agree. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 16:12:05 PM »
So sad, have already had two hits on Pussy from Animal Search UK but neither is Pussy, both been absent a long time and one from Burry Port where I often go in the Summer.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 15:23:45 PM »
I will check the pic when I get home and compare against my shed two :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 14:02:29 PM »
Have just put up a few posters and Mr Ford is gonner check shop at bottom of road for me cos still waiting for bloomin couriers.

If they would just come I could get her to the vets but I think the chances of finding her  owner are virtually nil.

I live very rurally and all places are small and well spread out.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 13:57:57 PM »
Adore the pics - she is sooooooooo at home there Gill.  The reason there are no lost posters could mean she is from further away.  Remember my Smudge was nowhere near home.  She could've got in a delivery van somewhere and ended up on your doorstop instead of your parcels  :naughty: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 13:47:52 PM »
Well trigger I have no idea but thats why I wanted soufle to reply but I think she is very young cos of her tiny little claws and it could be its too hot in here for her but having to have this door closed is destroying the heat threoughout the house.

Also the way she suckles is not like an older cat suckling.

Link to CatChat